Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat
  The Official History of JScott1's PROUD 1, or Meet Chop Top #14 (Page 12)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 23 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20   21   22   23 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
The Official History of JScott1's PROUD 1, or Meet Chop Top #14 by jscott1
Started on: 07-29-2004 11:12 PM
Replies: 911 (67381 views)
Last post by: jscott1 on 05-17-2020 12:44 AM
AusFiero

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 326
Rate this member

Report this Post04-29-2006 07:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AusFieroClick Here to visit AusFiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to AusFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Looking Good!
IP: Logged
jscott1

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 415
Rate this member

Report this Post04-29-2006 07:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks Aus, and Cheever.

Here is another little thing Madcurl was referring to...a blended in functional Archie Rocker

rgirau

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-29-2006 08:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rgirauSend a Private Message to rgirauEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jscott1:

Proud-1 on it's first day home:

I love the blue it looks really good!!!! Good job the car looks awesome!!!!!

Edit: I also like the shaved moldings....... I've considered this it makes the Fiero look more modern!!!!!

[This message has been edited by rgirau (edited 04-29-2006).]

GonsaiPK

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-29-2006 08:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GonsaiPKSend a Private Message to GonsaiPKEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

If you've got it, flaunt it! This shot shamelessly shows off that quintessential choptop look.

Right-click, save as...
zMacK

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 79
Rate this member

Report this Post04-29-2006 08:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for zMacKSend a Private Message to zMacKEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Wow. I didn't notice that you smoothed the trim out in the earlier pictures. That is a really nice touch!
Looks so great. Congrats, you now have a fiero that looks like an exotic supercar.

Are you planing on putting that rear defuser back on? That was an interesting idea.

Dark blue window tint might look cool on it.
edit... hmm maybe not, after looking at the pics again

[This message has been edited by zMacK (edited 04-29-2006).]

Archie

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 546
Rate this member

Report this Post04-29-2006 09:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ArchieClick Here to visit Archie's HomePageSend a Private Message to ArchieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Looks GREAT !!!!!
jscott1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-29-2006 10:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks zMack - It helps to have a clean car to start with The diffuser needed some more work before it looks like the way I want it. I didn't want to detract from the car with a half-thought out idea, so I took it off.

As for the smoothing, I hid any evidence of that in the progress pics. If anybody tells you smoothing a Fiero is easy, they are lying. It is a Huuuge effort. One of the things I did different is I intentionally put a line on the fascias to relieve any stress to minimize cracking between the urethane and the reinforced urethane.

Big thanks to Archie!!.

You have to drive a chop top to understand that the whole look and feel of the car is different. Archie and the late Rich Warber understood this and created an amazing look.

Ran into a few folks at the gas station today, and fielded the usual questions..."is that a Lotus?" "A Fiero???" "Are they making those again?" "That car is 18 years old!!??"

As Madcurl suggests, when the wheels go on it will be another order of magnitude to deal with.

[This message has been edited by jscott1 (edited 05-01-2006).]

Fiero_Adam

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-29-2006 10:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero_AdamSend a Private Message to Fiero_AdamEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It definately has an exotic look to it, especially in this picture:

That's just a nice angle. I think the corvette tail light panel would make it look even more so, but the stock tail lights look good. It's too bad a front plate is required in Texas. I'm glad we don't have to have those here.
BTW, are you planning on taking it to any shows this year?
PBJ

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 147
Rate this member

Report this Post04-29-2006 11:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PBJSend a Private Message to PBJEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
WOW, You have built an awsome looking car, Great work. If only I got to cruise around in it looking that nice.

Pete

------------------

jscott1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-29-2006 11:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Falcon Fiero:

Hard to believe that is the same car parked next to the GBCT, wouldn't you all say?? What a transformation!

Remember this pic? Proud-1 parked next the the car that it would later be rebuilt to look like!

Fiero_Adam - I hate the front license plate too, but it's not worth it to get pulled over for not having it. I'm planning to put the "folded" plate on like I have on Proud-2. I couldn't find anything in the code that says I can't fold it.

Thanks Pete - you built a smooth running drive train. There's a small chance I might be passing though Ontario again someday. Maybe I can swing by and you can drive the finished car!

I am planning at least on coming to the chop top reunion in September/Fierorama. Maybe I can get Archie to sign my hood?

[This message has been edited by jscott1 (edited 04-29-2006).]

DL10

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 160
Rate this member

Report this Post04-30-2006 12:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DL10Click Here to visit DL10's HomePageSend a Private Message to DL10Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Your car looks great.....I can't wait to see it with the new rims. It seams every Choptop that gets finished raises the bar for the next one. There are times when I think about changing the color and wheels on the GBCT to freshen it up………then I wake up.

See you in Sept. at Archie’s………we can get another picture side by side.
PFF
System Bot
madcurl

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 314
Rate this member

Report this Post04-30-2006 12:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by DL10:
See you in Sept. at Archie’s………we can get another picture side by side.

Now that'll be something to see!

madcurl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-30-2006 03:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

madcurl

21401 posts
Member since Jul 2003
Did anyone notice Jonathan's the roof line?
GODFATHER

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-30-2006 05:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GODFATHERSend a Private Message to GODFATHEREdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Wow !! That looks awsome . Nice and clean looking without the moldings . Great job on it .
Will-Martin

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 63
Rate this member

Report this Post05-01-2006 02:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Will-MartinClick Here to visit Will-Martin's HomePageSend a Private Message to Will-MartinEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
OH WOW JONATHAN!!! Nice job man, that thing is AMAZING!

/chant
WHEELS! WHEELS! WHEELS! WHEELS! WHEELS!
Her86GT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 53
Rate this member

Report this Post05-01-2006 04:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Her86GTClick Here to visit Her86GT's HomePageSend a Private Message to Her86GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
WOW! What a great looking car! Maybe someday I'll be able to take 'er for a cruise again.

Becky
revin

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 234
Rate this member

Report this Post05-01-2006 04:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for revinSend a Private Message to revinEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Whoa that looks sweet Jon!!

I guess I WON' T be in ANY shows that you are in
jscott1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-01-2006 07:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
DL10 - Thanks, your car was the inspiration. It would be awesome to see them side by side

Godfather - thanks! Getting rid of the moldings makes any Fiero look better in my opinion...even more so on a chop top!

Wil-Martin - Thanks...more inspiration for you to go fastback?? Maybe you'll get to see it soon

Her86GT - Thanks...you have the honor of being the only person to have taken this car to the track...maybe again some day but it's probably going to be even slower after the new wheels

Revin - Thanks...Feel free to compete against my car. It's still rough on the inside, probably be years before it's as clean as yours overall.
jscott1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-01-2006 07:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

jscott1

21676 posts
Member since Dec 2001

Originally posted by madcurl:

Did anyone notice Jonathan's the roof line?

"Look Ma no lines!"

But I will tell you that the guy who did my body work didn't exactly know what he was doing. There are several areas that need rework already. I am building a list to take to my new body guy to fix.

madcurl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-01-2006 08:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I also noticed that you shaved the Pont bird from the nose piece. Very stealthy.
jscott1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-01-2006 08:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I also noticed that you shaved the Pont bird from the nose piece. Very stealthy.

Yes, hence the number one question..."what kind of car is that?"

PFF
System Bot
revin

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 234
Rate this member

Report this Post05-01-2006 09:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for revinSend a Private Message to revinEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

"Look Ma no lines!"

But I will tell you that the guy who did my body work didn't exactly know what he was doing. There are several areas that need rework already. I am building a list to take to my new body guy to fix.

I HAD my roof line covered, it cracked when I was at the track launching hard. Car flexing.I am guessing.
if your list means you can take it backed to get fixed, try a few hard starts just to be sure the glass will hold together.
jscott1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-01-2006 09:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by revin:

I HAD my roof line covered, it cracked when I was at the track launching hard. Car flexing.I am guessing.
if your list means you can take it backed to get fixed, try a few hard starts just to be sure the glass will hold together.

Yeah no doubt a powerful launch at the track can do some damage, but my whimpy little normally aspirated 8 banger probably doesn't flex the body too much. My roof had cracked before I left the shop, but he refused to fix it...darn fixed price contractors I'm going to have it re-done somewhere else.
madcurl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-02-2006 01:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
#011 has been glassed over for several years. So far, no cracks.
Sharkman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-02-2006 04:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SharkmanSend a Private Message to SharkmanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Nice work and nice choise of paint.

------------------
Regards SHARKMAN
86 GT, 3.4 Camaro engine,
choptop # 1 in Europe/Sweden

madcurl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-02-2006 02:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I noticed that you painted the side view mirrors and the upper triangular corner of the door. Did the guys "smooth" the surface or was it sanded and sprayed over?

Edit: Do you have any "straight-on" pics from the rear?

[This message has been edited by madcurl (edited 05-02-2006).]

Sharkman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-03-2006 03:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SharkmanSend a Private Message to SharkmanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Whats on the mirror on the car that took the foto?

Originally posted by PBJ:

WOW, You have built an awsome looking car, Great work. If only I got to cruise around in it looking that nice.

Pete

jscott1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-03-2006 04:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Sharkman:

Whats on the mirror on the car that took the foto?

Mirror Bras.... I don't know how to do a direct link but look under "exterior" and you will find them there:

http://www.rodneydickman.com/

Sharkman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-03-2006 06:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SharkmanSend a Private Message to SharkmanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks, haven´t seen that before.
fieroman22

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-04-2006 08:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroman22Send a Private Message to fieroman22Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
i see im not the only one whos filled in that top line
jscott1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-05-2006 01:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Fiero_Adam:

It definately has an exotic look to it, especially in this picture:

Smoothing 101...fill, sand, repeat 100X

[This message has been edited by jscott1 (edited 05-05-2006).]

PFF
System Bot
fierogt3800

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-05-2006 03:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierogt3800Click Here to visit fierogt3800's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierogt3800Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
did you graft tips from another wing to form the tip extentions? Ive made my own 6" stands putting
two pairs together and i have the wing i took them from left over to use, Im very interested in how you formed the tips, and would appretiate more details,

------------------
85 GT, bright blue met. fastback, chrome 16"s, 3800 swap, (soon to be SBC)
85.5 Porsche 944 euro *for sale*
73 VW Karmann Ghia convertible (sold to finish SBC swap)

jscott1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-05-2006 12:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by fierogt3800:

did you graft tips from another wing to form the tip extentions?

No, I cut out two pices of cardboard exactly 2 inches long and taped them onto the end of the wing. Then I glassed over that with about 5 layers of cloth and then bondo over that. It has been on like that for over a year and showed no signs of cracking.
MinnGreenGT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 274
Rate this member

Report this Post05-05-2006 02:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MinnGreenGTClick Here to visit MinnGreenGT's HomePageSend a Private Message to MinnGreenGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Jscott - I saw you "dropped" a photo in another thread, so I had to come looking for more of the finished product.

The car looks great! A nice tribute to the GBCT, with your own modernizations & style. I really like the smoothed moldings with the intentional body lines - it's got a much more "production" feel to it. I also like the fact that you had the body blended into the door jambs (and painted to match). nice.

#011 has been glassed over for several years. So far, no cracks.

I think the key to this mod, is using a flexible body filler (as opposed to your normal "bondo" type filler that is more rigid). It should be able to be smoothed just as well, but not react to the flexing so much!
jscott1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-05-2006 05:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by MinnGreenGT:

Jscott - I saw you "dropped" a photo in another thread, so I had to come looking for more of the finished product.

The car looks great! A nice tribute to the GBCT, with your own modernizations & style. I really like the smoothed moldings with the intentional body lines - it's got a much more "production" feel to it. I also like the fact that you had the body blended into the door jambs (and painted to match). nice.

Thanks, MinnGreen - coming from an artist like you it means a lot!!! I was going to debut the car at a show this summer, but I couldn't wait. I looked at a lot of cars getting ideas about the marker lights and the smoothing, and I noted that on even the smoothest production cars, like the 350Z they all had a line where the fascia is mounted so I simulated that line, and I think it looks more natural that way.
jscott1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-14-2006 08:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
A few new shots.

[This message has been edited by jscott1 (edited 05-15-2006).]

1986GTV8

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-15-2006 12:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 1986GTV8Send a Private Message to 1986GTV8Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Sweet.

You have a "private" e-mail.

John
Sharkman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-15-2006 02:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SharkmanSend a Private Message to SharkmanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Looking good. And a price already! Hopping too get one the 20th of May when I have my chopper on a show.
Madcurl told me...
------------------
Regards SHARKMAN
86 GT, 3.4 Camaro engine,
choptop # 1 in Europe/Sweden

[This message has been edited by Sharkman (edited 05-15-2006).]

MinnGreenGT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 274
Rate this member

Report this Post05-15-2006 04:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MinnGreenGTClick Here to visit MinnGreenGT's HomePageSend a Private Message to MinnGreenGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Congrats! A "Best of Show" the 1st time out!!
jscott1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-15-2006 05:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well this was my first win of any kind so I'm quite pleased...

But to clarify, I won "best of show- 80s and up", so I wasn't competing against the t-bucket or chevelle...but I did beat out an impala and a couple of mustangs, and a few other 90s cars though.
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 23 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20   21   22   23 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock