Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat
  The Official History of JScott1's PROUD 1, or Meet Chop Top #14 (Page 9)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 23 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20   21   22   23 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
The Official History of JScott1's PROUD 1, or Meet Chop Top #14 by jscott1
Started on: 07-29-2004 11:12 PM
Replies: 911 (67381 views)
Last post by: jscott1 on 05-17-2020 12:44 AM
sqoach

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 96
Rate this member

Report this Post02-07-2005 07:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sqoachSend a Private Message to sqoachEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I checked AusFiero's website and didn't see those hoodvents. Does he still make them?
IP: Logged
jscott1

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 415
Rate this member

Report this Post02-07-2005 08:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Aus hasn't got around to putting those vents on his site. If you send him an email he will tell you how to order.

madcurl

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 314
Rate this member

Report this Post02-08-2005 07:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jscott1:

Well I don't know...I'm still trying to decide if I'm rolling at all to Florida, let alone in #14.

The list of things is too long for this car for such a short time. I have to finish bonding that scoop. a headlight motor to rebuild, brakes, tires, etc, lots of little things. I would get a lot more satisfaction showing it closer to completion.

- Jonathan

Hmmm...sounds simple issues to me? headlights? I'm sure you can find a spare in your back yard.
Scoop? From the looks of it, it's near finished. Just call up some fellow Fiero owners and invite them over for some bar-be-que and beer. While they are there...fix any other issues with the choppper. Problems solved

jscott1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-08-2005 09:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Curley, Well you saw though my excuses...

Did I mention my cruise has stoppeed working? My leg nearly fell off driving from Canada without that.

madcurl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-08-2005 12:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Curley, Well you saw though my excuses...

Did I mention my cruise has stoppeed working? My leg nearly fell off driving from Canada without that.

hehehehe. Now thats one of the items that I agree.... that cannot be tolerated! A bad cruise control, no cup holders, and no power steering. Oh yeah, I think I have as many colors on my as yours now. Red, black, green, and purple. I'm going to spray some of the colors a flat black before I head East.

Falcon Fiero

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 67
Rate this member

Report this Post02-08-2005 01:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Falcon FieroSend a Private Message to Falcon FieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by blakeinspace:

I am 6'1" and it seemed like there was not much room left for my head.

With losing the 3" from the chop, Archie did a clever job of making you not realize that you are losing that much head room. By shallowing out the seat bottom's and collapsing the seat rails, you may only lose 1" of head room when it is all said and done.

Now the funny part is... that thank God is not pictured... is me trying to get my long legged, arthritic butt, out of that lowered/chopped jewel of a car. It was NOT attractive and probably made the show lose 20 participants, but I made it out. I thing Joel, the former owner, laughed for 10 minutes.... about the length of time I was stuck. Anyway, that remains my favorite Fiero to date... and holds a very special place in Fiero lore for me.

Thanks for the memories, Chuck. And Jon... I am looking forward to seeing that hood treatment in April!

I don't remember laughing THAT hard...maybe I was choking on a choclate chip cookie?!!? As far as room in a Chop Top, I am 6'2" and thought the car was more comfortable than my 88GT w/ lumbar seats. Th custom shallowed seats were fantastic, very firm. For that matter, I fit WAY better in the GBCT than in a real Lamborghini Countach.

------------------

[This message has been edited by Falcon Fiero (edited 02-08-2005).]

Stinkin_V8

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-08-2005 03:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Stinkin_V8Send a Private Message to Stinkin_V8Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I've got the stage II scoop too, except mine's hanging on the wall. What's your plan for finishing the underside?

jscott1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-08-2005 10:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My plan for the underside of the scoop is to fill it in with fiberglass such that it looks like it belongs there. Insipration for that is Skitime's hood:

I've already admitted my fiberglass skills are that great so I will probably have it professionally done.

madcurl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-23-2005 07:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ouch. I found a bump!

Anything new to report Jscott?

exoticse

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 108
Rate this member

Report this Post03-11-2005 01:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for exoticseSend a Private Message to exoticseEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by madcurl:

Ouch. I found a bump!

Anything new to report Jscott?

He just mighhhhhhhhhht,.....hehehehe !

jscott1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-11-2005 05:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well Curley talked me into bringing the chop top to Daytona. The t-top was not going to be show ready so I might as well bring the chop top. I am now trying to get that Stage II hood vent smoothed in and I discovered that my fiberglass skills leave a lot to be desired. I am just trying to get it physically mounted such that it doesn't fly off along the road somewhere. I am going to have to have a professional make it look nice.
PFF
System Bot
Archie

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 546
Rate this member

Report this Post03-11-2005 06:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ArchieClick Here to visit Archie's HomePageSend a Private Message to ArchieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Well Curley talked me into bringing the chop top to Daytona.

I'm so sorry I'm not going to be there to see the Chop Top reunion.

Archie

jscott1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-11-2005 06:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Archie:

I'm so sorry I'm not going to be there to see the Chop Top reunion.

Archie

#14, #15, and #16 will all be there...just like the summer of 2004 all over again.

Dowdian

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-11-2005 03:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DowdianClick Here to visit Dowdian's HomePageSend a Private Message to DowdianEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm really looking forward to this show. I hate that Archie won't be there though.

------------------
Dowdian
Chopped up, loaded down, bashed in 88 GT that I love dearly.

jscott1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-04-2005 08:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Here are some updated pics of the car from Daytona:

madcurl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-04-2005 08:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Looking good. I can't wait to see it finished. I hope we can do it again in 2006 plus with more choptops.
PBJ

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 147
Rate this member

Report this Post04-04-2005 08:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PBJSend a Private Message to PBJEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Looks like the white has been obsorbed. One color down 4 more to go Nice to see you out and enjoying your car.

Pete

------------------

jscott1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-04-2005 08:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by PBJ:

Looks like the white has been obsorbed. One color down 4 more to go Nice to see you out and enjoying your car.

Pete

The car is a blast to drive. I wish I had driven it all the way to Florida but I needed the room of the tow vehicle. But I will be driving it to San Antonio in two weeks. Look for the other three colors to be assimilated by then.

The down side to chin spoilers...you need some long ranps to get on and off a trailer:

I plan to trim a little off before I paint it.

And I have a Madcurl inspired surprise to reveal...something that's never been done before

[This message has been edited by jscott1 (edited 04-04-2005).]

madcurl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-04-2005 10:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
hmmm....I wonder what it is?
jscott1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-16-2005 10:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

hmmm....I wonder what it is?

I call it the "J-Curl" because the idea popped into my head when I was talking to Curley about the front fender he used on the back of his widebody #15 car. He was looking at the front thinking what he had up front is what he needed in back. So I'm thinking what I need in the back of my car is the same thing I have up front.

So I cut the bottom off a GT rear fascia, (well actually it was my cracked Indy rear fascia) flipped it upside down and bolted it on. I'm still trying to figure out the best fittment but so far I think I like it. It balances out the front and the raised spoiler. And I got a lot of looks in San Antonio.

zMacK

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 79
Rate this member

Report this Post04-17-2005 12:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for zMacKSend a Private Message to zMacKEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
wow.
When its painted. Whatever color your goin with.
it willl be so sick
PFF
System Bot
exoticse

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-17-2005 01:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for exoticseSend a Private Message to exoticseEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Jscott

Did you extend the wing tips also or am i seeing things ??

madcurl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-17-2005 01:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Looking good. Funny how GM parts can be mounted in different locations. Any close-ups from the rear? Include the wing pics too. And what show were you at?

I see that the red'ish has been absorbed by the black. It now has a mean-ish look like the "Dirty Rat."

jscott1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-17-2005 05:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
These pictures were taken at the Texas Round-up in San Antonio.

Since Daytona I spray bombed the rest of the car black. All that primer will have to be sanded off again, but it looks a lot better all one color in the mean time. It does resemble the dirty rat more now.

In addition to adding the J-Curl spoiler I also did extend the wing tips two inches. They looks a lot better in the pictures than they really are. I still have a lot of fiberglass and sanding ahead of me before they are done.

Notice how a chop top V8 tends to attract a crowd.

I don't have a lot of chop top adventures to share but I got a lot of stares...like people didn't know what they were looking at.

maryjane

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 441
Rate this member

Report this Post04-17-2005 08:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I (6'4") had to sit in it to see how much headroom there was. Way more than it looks like. In fact, I'd say it is very comparative to my stock Fiero seat with sunroof. The curled and extended rear wing really does look like it belongs just like he's done it. Good accent.

Not sure what you officially call the lower rear fascia mod, but it's very unique and only a little rough right now but is gonna really look nice when he finishes it.
As someone else said yesterday,
"Man, he has vision!"

(A lot of other people also had to 'try it on for size', and JScott was nice enough to allow it.
But folks-ya'll don't ever want to have to watch Blake trying to get in/out of a choptop. The booty up in the air thing---well, That was just pure ugly)

jscott1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-17-2005 09:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by maryjane:

But folks-ya'll don't ever want to have to watch Blake trying to get in/out of a choptop. The booty up in the air thing---well, That was just pure ugly)

The rear lower fascia mod I call the "J-Curl" Thanks for the good words

and Blake getting in/out of the chop top looks a lot like this:

maryjane

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 441
Rate this member

Report this Post04-17-2005 09:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
To be fair of course, let it be known that Blake does have a hurt back, and I think he was concerned about scooting in over the seat bolsters. We all know how easy it is to get those things awry.
exoticse

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-30-2005 03:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for exoticseSend a Private Message to exoticseEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Going thru chop top withdrawals, here is a bump !

Haagster

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-09-2005 03:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for HaagsterSend a Private Message to HaagsterEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
ttt - so I can find it again
jscott1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-09-2005 04:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for the bump. Let me show you a new project I just started. Much to Madcurl's delight the chop top is back to my first prority. I've given up on the Indy for now. The clutch went out as I was preparing to get it inspected. I replaced the master cylinder, which was nearly bent in half, but the slave is also bad...so I pushed it out of the garage and out of the way. So onto the chop top.

Once again inspired by Madcurl,

He is using Corvette C6 marker lights for his #15 choptop. That gave me an idea to try the C5 Corvette lights. The only problem, C5 only has rear markers, the fronts are integrated into the wraparound turnsignals. So perusing GM's catalog I discovered they make amber markers for the rear lights for export. No reason I can't use them on the front.

I ordered them from Eckler's in Florida. Ironically I used to live only a mile from there, never thought I would be ordering parts for a Fiero from there. Anyway to mount them I briefly considered replacing the Fiero bulbs with Corvette bulbs. But I figured out an easier way, I replaced the back ends off a scap set of Fiero marker lights. And to hold them on, I bought all kinds of nuts, but what works best are Fiero seat nuts.

How are they being fitted to the chop top...you'll have to wait and see.

[This message has been edited by jscott1 (edited 07-09-2005).]

Master Tuner Akimoto

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 271
User Banned

Report this Post07-09-2005 06:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Master Tuner AkimotoClick Here to visit Master Tuner Akimoto's HomePageSend a Private Message to Master Tuner AkimotoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That is cool ...was wondering if the chop was on the backburner gorilla glue should hold them together...watching your progress.
PFF
System Bot
madcurl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-15-2005 03:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You Sir...are a genious. I---in turn will copy you in mounting my side lamps.

Keep us updated---because good threads should never die.

[This message has been edited by madcurl (edited 07-15-2005).]

jscott1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-16-2005 02:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
madcurl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-16-2005 12:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Any more fron pics of side lamps?

edit: Oh yea, good work on joining the two parts (bumper and fender) w/o smoothing them in.

[This message has been edited by madcurl (edited 07-16-2005).]

jscott1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-16-2005 02:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well I confess that's a photoshop, but the real thing will look a lot like that. I'm making pics so my bodyman knows what I want it to look like. Since he doesn't speak english a picture is worth a lot more than a 1000 words.

I don't want it completely smooth. I think the Fiero looks better with a beauty line. I'm just not a fan of the big honking trim.

I'm also redoing my hood vent. I thought I could get my hood to sit flat by adjusting it properly, but no luck. I'm going to cut out the Aus stage II and start over on a hood that's nice and flat.

madcurl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-16-2005 08:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I'm also redoing my hood vent. I thought I could get my hood to sit flat by adjusting it properly, but no luck. I'm going to cut out the Aus stage II and start over on a hood that's nice and flat.

What do you mean by, "not flat"? Is the hood bent?

jscott1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-16-2005 09:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Take a look at this shot. I had some gas shocks I put on there to replace the stock strut. It pushed the hood up a little bit. I have them on my T-top and it's fine. But this car because it was hit in the front the structure has been weakened a bit. I thought I could make some adjustments to get it right, but I made two mistakes. One I waited too long and second I glassed in my stage II while it was under the pre-load. That deflection in the hood is now more or less permanent.

Not a huge deal though, that hood was one I bought for $25, since then I have aquired several hoods so I just went out back and got another one. It shouldn't be too hard to glass in the vent again. I actually will probably do a better job this time because I have a little experience; that was the first fiberglassing I had ever done.

jscott1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-24-2005 12:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Time for an update...

The Aus Stage II is transferred over to the "new" hood. The only thing more fun than cutting a hood is doing it twice. It was a lot of work, but it was worth it. The new hood is a much better fit.

The Diffuser is trimed to a new shape. I need to add another bracket int the center, but it's okay for now.

I've done all I'm going to do..next stop:

body and paint shop

------------------

1988 GT (Firebird Interior),1988 Fastback (4.9 Chop-top #1 of 1), 1984 Indy...Firebird Interior Installation Website

madcurl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-24-2005 02:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Can you say, "ready to roll." Looks good and I like how you change the rear difuser. Do please give us up to dat pics while the chop'r is in the oven. Hmm...where is Exotic Rida?
Zero 260

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-24-2005 11:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Zero 260Send a Private Message to Zero 260Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I am looking foward to seeing your car painted. Please post pictures if you can

Hmm...where is Exotic Rida?

Yeah, like he said Let's see some paint

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 23 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20   21   22   23 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock