Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat
  The Official History of JScott1's PROUD 1, or Meet Chop Top #14 (Page 16)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 23 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20   21   22   23 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
The Official History of JScott1's PROUD 1, or Meet Chop Top #14 by jscott1
Started on: 07-29-2004 11:12 PM
Replies: 911 (67381 views)
Last post by: jscott1 on 05-17-2020 12:44 AM
Archie

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 546
Rate this member

Report this Post11-02-2007 09:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ArchieClick Here to visit Archie's HomePageSend a Private Message to ArchieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Update

The mirrors were not completely level when fastened directly to the door panels. So we had to build up some mounting pads on the door skins to get them level.

Much better now.

Typically for that minor of an angle change we would have ground down the part of the mirror that mounts to the door panel to correct the angle. However, these mirrors have metal bases that also carry the mounting studs & we were afraid that we might have to grind right thru the metal to get the angle changed enough to level the mirrors.

Archie

[This message has been edited by Archie (edited 11-02-2007).]

IP: Logged
jscott1

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 415
Rate this member

Report this Post11-02-2007 10:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Archie:

Update

Much better now.

Archie

Wow, That's pretty cool, I like that a lot better. Nice Work!!
madcurl

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 314
Rate this member

Report this Post11-05-2007 06:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jscott1:

jscott1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-06-2007 08:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by MinnGreenGT:

Very cool project - but after a drop at Archie's, then another with PBJ... who's painting it? Roger or FireFox?

Actually Yes!
Archie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-08-2007 09:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ArchieClick Here to visit Archie's HomePageSend a Private Message to ArchieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have to get this thread up to date......... I'll tell you why in the next post....

While we were working on all the body stuff a couple of weeks ago, we were also working on fitting the engine/transmission back into the car.

Here we're fitting the engine/trans to the cradle.

After we mocked up the transmission & engine mounts. (yes we had to change the engine mounting because the original mounts interfered with the intermediate shaft. Then we trial fitted it into the car....

We then pulled it out to finalize the mounts & then clean & paint the cradle. We also cleaned & finished up the engine compartment with some new insulation.

..... more in a few minutes......
Archie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-08-2007 09:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ArchieClick Here to visit Archie's HomePageSend a Private Message to ArchieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Archie

9436 posts
Member since Dec 1999
Today the new Flywheel & the new clutch all came together in the same place at the same time.

So putting them on & mounting the new starter went real quick. The new starter keeps us from cutting the stick shift bellhousing like most 4.9's sticks require.

Because we already had the mounts all attached to the cradle & everything was painted. We just had to bolt the engine/trans assembly onto the cradle. Then it was time to put it in the car for the last time before we went home.

Now we have a million wires, hoses & connectors to hook op & when the chip gets here we can boot it up.

Archie
From: Between The ATL and Augusta in a land of deer and cows

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-08-2007 11:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 007Send a Private Message to 007Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hot DIGGITY DOG! The dream is about to become a reality!!!!!!!! You must be on cloud (pick a number waaaaay above 9)
jscott1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-09-2007 12:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 007:

Hot DIGGITY DOG! The dream is about to become a reality!!!!!!!! You must be on cloud (pick a number waaaaay above 9)

007 Long time no hear! How is it going ?? This has been a ridiculous long time in coming, so I decided to fix one of the things I didn't like about this car and that was the automatic transmission.

Hopefully this car will be substantially complete by the 25th Anniversary show next July.

Great work Archie!!
PBJ

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 147
Rate this member

Report this Post11-14-2007 07:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PBJSend a Private Message to PBJEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I mailed the PROM from Port Huron MI this afternoon to ensure there was no border/customs tie up, Archie should recieve it before the week is up.

Pete

------------------

Archie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-14-2007 08:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ArchieClick Here to visit Archie's HomePageSend a Private Message to ArchieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Good news.

A couple of minor things to do & a chip & we're ready to send it to Mark's for paint.

Archie

Originally posted by PBJ:

I mailed the PROM from Port Huron MI this afternoon to ensure there was no border/customs tie up, Archie should recieve it before the week is up.

Pete

Firefox

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 240
Rate this member

Report this Post11-14-2007 08:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FirefoxSend a Private Message to FirefoxEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
PFF
System Bot
jscott1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-14-2007 09:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Firefox

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-15-2007 08:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FirefoxSend a Private Message to FirefoxEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I'll have your painted car in my garage before you!!!
Archie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-15-2007 09:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ArchieClick Here to visit Archie's HomePageSend a Private Message to ArchieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well it's on the floor again.

We gotta get the Chip in then we can boot it up.

Archie
jscott1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-16-2007 10:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Firefox:

I'll have your painted car in my garage before you!!!

I certainly hope so. I can't wait to see it
CTFieroGT87

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 59
Rate this member

Report this Post11-16-2007 05:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CTFieroGT87Send a Private Message to CTFieroGT87Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Heat shield to protect the inboard CV going into the intermediate shaft?

------------------
Christian
87 Pontiac Fiero GT Burgandy/Silver 5.7L ZZ4 5spd, 88 suspension, C6 polished wheels, C5 Z06 brakes, Konis, poly'd, Spec Stg 3
301rwhp/345rwtq
Stovebolt Powered!!!!!
06 Cobalt SS/SC w/ LSD (the slow DD)

Archie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-16-2007 08:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ArchieClick Here to visit Archie's HomePageSend a Private Message to ArchieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by CTFieroGT87:

Nope, that picture is misleading, there's at least 5 to 6 inches between the boot & the pipe.

Archie
jscott1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-16-2007 08:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by CTFieroGT87:

I'm not sure I understand the question...maybe Archie does?
Archie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-16-2007 08:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ArchieClick Here to visit Archie's HomePageSend a Private Message to ArchieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
BTW, it runs.

The chip came in today & we fired it up for about 20 seconds.

We'll bleed the cooling system monday & see if it moves under it's own power.

Archie
jscott1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-16-2007 08:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

BTW, it runs..

Archie

IT'S ALIVE!! I'm sure everything is going to be perfect.
PBJ

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 147
Rate this member

Report this Post11-16-2007 09:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PBJSend a Private Message to PBJEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Great to hear the PROM arrived quickly for you! Great team you have removing it all and getting it back together and running so quickly.

Pete

------------------

[This message has been edited by PBJ (edited 11-16-2007).]

PFF
System Bot
Archie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-20-2007 11:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ArchieClick Here to visit Archie's HomePageSend a Private Message to ArchieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well she's up & running & ready to go to paint. We've driven it up & down the street & it seems to shift fine. The engine doesn't run perfect but it's a lot better than when it got towed out of the last body shop.

Mark plans to pick it up on Friday, to paint it.

After paint we will mount the 1/4 windows, recalibrate the speedo if we can figure out how & polish the side windows & it'll be heading back to Texas.

Here's some pics. I'm getting to love the mirrors.

Archie
jscott1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-21-2007 01:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Well she's up & running & ready to go to paint. We've driven it up & down the street & it seems to shift fine. The engine doesn't run perfect but it's a lot better than when it got towed out of the last body shop.

Mark plans to pick it up on Friday, to paint it.

After paint we will mount the 1/4 windows, recalibrate the speedo if we can figure out how & polish the side windows & it'll be heading back to Texas.

Here's some pics. I'm getting to love the mirrors.

Archie

Those words are like music to my ears. What that last body shop did to this car should be illegal in 48 states. But it's coming back together better than ever. Those mirrors are nice alternatives for people that want something different but not as pricey as the F430 mirrors.

Archie, you exceeded my expectations on the C6 poppers. It looks even better than I imagined.

Jonathan

[This message has been edited by jscott1 (edited 11-21-2007).]

GODFATHER

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-21-2007 09:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for GODFATHERSend a Private Message to GODFATHEREdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hey Jonathan are you sticking with the same color? That blue will look even better with Mark painting it. It'll look like a mirror that you can shave in.

Joe
madcurl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-21-2007 11:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well, I guess my constant bugging you every Sat & Sun has payed off. Remember, you pay for what you get; regardless of what some shop or person trys to tell you. If it sounds too good to-be true...then usually it is. Always, pay the bucks to get the job performed right by someone who knows how-to work on a Fiero.
WisconsinGT

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-21-2007 11:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for WisconsinGTSend a Private Message to WisconsinGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well said!!!
jscott1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-21-2007 01:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by GODFATHER:

Hey Jonathan are you sticking with the same color?

Joe

I'm changing it up to a Corvette blue...a bit darker I expect. I have confidence Mark will do a great job!!
madcurl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-02-2007 12:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jscott1:

I'm changing it up to a Corvette blue...a bit darker I expect. I have confidence Mark will do a great job!!

Any primer pics?

Anything Mark?

jscott1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-02-2007 02:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It's snowing in Wisconsin.... stand-by for updates.
Firefox

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-02-2007 10:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FirefoxSend a Private Message to FirefoxEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I don'thave any interesting pics yet....they wouldn't show much. I've been doing some damage repair and since there really isn't any large scale stuff I haven't shot anything yet. Yesterday we got a half a foot of snow and now sleet on top of that and I was out for about a half day plowing so hopefully today I can wrap up most of the body work. It's coming along and I'll start popping pics soon.

Mark
jscott1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-02-2007 02:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Yesterday we got a half a foot of snow and now sleet on top of that and I was out for about a half day plowing so hopefully today I can wrap up most of the body work. It's coming along and I'll start popping pics soon.

Mark

Thanks for the update...it's 80F here today! I was going to do some work outside but it's too hot.

PFF
System Bot
Firefox

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-03-2007 12:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FirefoxSend a Private Message to FirefoxEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
All that slimy snow-then-sleet-then-rain-then-sleet-then-nothing finally froze.

Sometimes winter really sucks.

That's what garages are for!

Mark the frozen paint guy
blakeinspace

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 120
Rate this member

Report this Post12-03-2007 01:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for blakeinspaceSend a Private Message to blakeinspaceEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
So... uhm... Mark...

How's Jon's car handle in the snow?
jscott1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-03-2007 02:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by blakeinspace:

So... uhm... Mark...

How's Jon's car handle in the snow?

Interesting question.... I guess he could break in my new clutch with some doughnuts in the middle of the street?
Firefox

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-03-2007 05:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FirefoxSend a Private Message to FirefoxEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You can't break in a clutch when the wheels just spin!
jscott1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-03-2007 08:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You jinxed us, it's supposed to get close to freezing here... just before daybreak, but it will still warm up into the 70s.

Firefox

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-04-2007 06:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FirefoxSend a Private Message to FirefoxEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Tonight we're looking at 3-5 inches of snow....

I like my heated garage......
exoticse

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 108
Rate this member

Report this Post12-05-2007 07:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for exoticseSend a Private Message to exoticseEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Jscott,

I was a little bit sketchy on the side mirrors at first, but after looking at the pictures of them from different angles on the car, i now think they actually look pretty good !

Can't wait to see it painted and dubbed out !

[This message has been edited by exoticse (edited 12-05-2007).]

Firefox

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-08-2007 05:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FirefoxSend a Private Message to FirefoxEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ok...time for one of those update things....

I've been working on the underside of the hood and decklid and getting them ready for paint as those are the first things to do, plus getting the mirrors ready. I took a couple of pics but the camera doesn't show much of anything as the halogen lighting really messes up the shot. I'll try to get a couple of good pics tomorrow, but it's coming along nicely.

Mark
madcurl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-09-2007 12:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Ok...time for one of those update things....

Mark

Okay Firefox (which btw, I was watching the movie last week), please ( just like in the movie where the Firefox landed on the plane on ice) please land this chopper for refueling and take some pics, hehe.
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 23 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20   21   22   23 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock