Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat
  The Official History of JScott1's PROUD 1, or Meet Chop Top #14 (Page 19)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 23 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20   21   22   23 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
The Official History of JScott1's PROUD 1, or Meet Chop Top #14 by jscott1
Started on: 07-29-2004 11:12 PM
Replies: 911 (67381 views)
Last post by: jscott1 on 05-17-2020 12:44 AM
FieroGTguy

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 101
Rate this member

Report this Post02-02-2008 10:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroGTguyClick Here to visit FieroGTguy's HomePageSend a Private Message to FieroGTguyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jscott1:

That quote came from a while back....Everything that has been changed to date has been revealed.... The color did change to a Corvette Blue, the 4T60e has been replaced with a G6 6 speed, the doors open vertically, and the handles are now shaved with C6 poppers, and the mirrors have been replaced with 96 Aurora.

I have more things planned but I don't like to talk about things that are only planned...

LOVE the color! heh

We'll have to get some pics together at a show this year.

Greg <= Owner of page 19!

------------------

[This message has been edited by FieroGTguy (edited 02-02-2008).]

IP: Logged
Firefox

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 240
Rate this member

Report this Post02-03-2008 10:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FirefoxSend a Private Message to FirefoxEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

It's Groundhog's Day... Did Phil see his shadow? Or do we have 6 more weeks of winter?

Yeah.....6 more weeks of winter. We've had a long winter this year and I'm getting tired of it. Lots of snow this year. We just got another 8 inches Thursday/Friday.

I'm expecting to paint more today. Kristie is flying down to Tampa, Fl for work this afternoon and coming back Wednesday so I'm home alone for a few days.

Mark
Firefox

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-06-2008 10:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FirefoxSend a Private Message to FirefoxEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Rear deck is done. I can't take pics as Kristie has the camera. We're in the process of receiving a foot and a half of snow by the end of the day today so it's a plow day. Kristie rescheduled her flight home because of the storm so it's another day home alone

I'm glad the car is in the garage....it's crappy outside!

Mark
jscott1

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 415
Rate this member

Report this Post02-06-2008 01:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Where is that global warming when you need it? That darn groundhog is going to make you have 6 more weeks of winter.

On the other hand, the trees are budding in Texas and the weeds are tall enough on my lawn that I'm going to have to cut it this weekend.
Firefox

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-06-2008 06:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FirefoxSend a Private Message to FirefoxEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Global warming.........

We got about 2 feet of snow here and it's still falling. The official weather station is reporting about 16 inches, but they did say some local areas will exceed 20 inches.

Thank God for Chevrolet!

Kristie just sent me a picture on her cell phone. She's sitting on the waterfront in Tampa and watching the sunset. I sent one back to her of her car covered with 2 feet of snow. I should make her clean it off tomorrow after she gets home but I'm not mean ( plus it'll get awfully cold tomorrow night ).

Mark the snow guy
Firefox

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-15-2008 11:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FirefoxSend a Private Message to FirefoxEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ok.....I'm back to being somewhat alive. I picked up a flu bug last week after this big storm ( related? I don't know...) and I've been out of it for a week. It really hit me hard and set back my surgery recovery a couple of weeks because of all the coughing, but I'm getting back in the groove. I'm going to be doing some work in the garage this afternoon and getting this thing wrapped up and out the door so it can reside back in sunny Texas!

Sorry for the delay, but I haven't been on my feet for 6 days......

Mark
Rickady88GT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 202
Rate this member

Report this Post02-15-2008 12:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rickady88GTSend a Private Message to Rickady88GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Firefox:

Sorry for the delay. I had 1 spot on the passenger side of the rear clip that didn't like my paint and it wrinkled. I spent the evening fixing that and it looks great. The pics here don't do the color justice, but it's a beautiful blue.....

Mark

I dont know if you have done any more work on the rear clip, but If I can give a bit of advice I would ask you to paint the inside of the tail light buckets. Either body color or black them out. That Blue will really show off the old red inside.
Looks good.

Thanks, Rick

------------------

jscott1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-15-2008 03:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for the tip Rick...yeah Mark I don't know if you already took care of that, but the red was showing through previously.
Firefox

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-15-2008 04:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FirefoxSend a Private Message to FirefoxEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
What I usually do is to paint those areas black with a rattle can. It's a lot cheaper than spraying everything blue as the black will do the job without the extra cost.

Mark
Will-Martin

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 63
Rate this member

Report this Post02-15-2008 09:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Will-MartinClick Here to visit Will-Martin's HomePageSend a Private Message to Will-MartinEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Ok....here's a few pics......

I really like this blue. Did I mention that before?
Mark

WOW, that really IS a nice blue! Looks like you might actually get to enjoy your awesome choptop Jonathan, you deserve it for being so patient - grats man! Cant wait to see this beast done with your nice wheels on it.

--Will
jscott1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-15-2008 09:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
They say patience is a virtue...I have been waiting nearly 4 years to enjoy my chop top, so I must be filled with virtue.

None of the vendors on PFF are responsible for my delay. I encountered a pair of really really slow and unscrupulous paint and body guys. After that experience I only want trusted vendors touching my car.
PFF
System Bot
Rickady88GT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 202
Rate this member

Report this Post02-16-2008 02:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Rickady88GTSend a Private Message to Rickady88GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

They say patience is a virtue...I have been waiting nearly 4 years to enjoy my chop top, so I must be filled with virtue.

None of the vendors on PFF are responsible for my delay. I encountered a pair of really really slow and unscrupulous paint and body guys. After that experience I only want trusted vendors touching my car.

I wish I had done more on my car before I even took it in to the body shop. BUT the guy gave me his word he could get it done in less than three months. Did not happen. I missed the West Fest car show that year, I was angry to say the least. I wound up calling the BAR and they wanted the local Police to be at the shop front gate the next morning ( they were going to arrange it, they do it every now and then) with a flat bed tow truck to get my car. The car was not painted and I did wind up getting the tow truck there to pick up the car. But I went against the BAR's advice and gave the guy a few days to paint the parts that were spread all over the shop. Took me several trips to pick up all the parts. That is how bad my experience was to get mine painted. I still am VERRY BITTER about the paint job and REFUSE to even mention the guys name. I just call him "crack head"

Why is it so hard to get a car painted right?

Firefox

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-17-2008 10:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FirefoxSend a Private Message to FirefoxEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Rickady88GT:

Why is it so hard to get a car painted right?

Fieros are unique in how we paint them ( usually ). I prefer to pull them apart so I end up with a better overall paint job and when that happens you usually end up spraying paint in several different ' sessions '. What I mean is that I don't paint all of the pieces at once but usually 5 or 6 different times, so the setup of the spray area, the setup of the parts and the clean up gets repeated a number of times. I usually take 3 months to do a show car but I have a full time job that keeps me out of the garage 9 hours a day, but back last month I ended up having a bit of surgery and I'm still in recovery and moving way to slow for my satisfaction. On top of all that, I plow snow for a number of my elderly neighbors and we've had a heck of a year for snow, so for me it's been a bit difficult to stick to my original plan. For the guys that work in a shop, the Fieros are usually billed differently as labor time is hard to compute so the Fieros are looked at as a difficult paint job only because of the way we like to paint the cars. There is no rust to fix, no dents to work out, no difficult trim to pull off......it's an easy car to work on. But, because it's a different kind of car, it's looked at funny and some are timid once they get into it. It's just something different and some guys are uncomfortable with it.

What I find facinating are all of the modifications that are done to our cars. I see the chops, the lambo doors, the rockers, side scoops, deck lid mods, bumper mods, etc......and each car is a little different. When I get a factory repaint it's kind of neat as it's different from the cars I usually see. But, I love the individuality of each of the cars I see.

Mark
jscott1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-17-2008 10:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Fieros are unique in how we paint them ...
Mark

A Fiero has to be one of the easier cars to paint, especially for a color change. Only the parts you can see from the outside are painted body color from the factory. A panel off job is possible with relatively ease, and they are pretty small. You would think that a paint job on a Fiero would be a piece of cake, but for some reason, good painters are hard to find. I'm glad I finally found one

Firefox

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-17-2008 11:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FirefoxSend a Private Message to FirefoxEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
In some respects they are easier, but in others they are harder. Having a bunch of pieces propped up for paint is easy in some respects, it's more difficult in others. Yes, there is little masking, but they have to be pulled off of the car. We break clips and sometimes strip screws. We have to replace rivots and body mounts. We have the metal brackets under the front bumpers that sometimes don't come apart without some kind of issue. We have a whole lot more places on the cars that are exposed to the light ( areas under panels ) that now have to be cleaned up and sometimes painted to do the job right. We have to disassemble and reassemble doors and other parts that usually haven't been taken apart since they were newly assembled. I'm in Wisconsin and here and all across the rust belt we have to deal with fasteners that don't want to move and like to snap. Sometimes it's easier to spray a metal car that doesn't get disassembled so we don't have to deal with the fastener issue. Each and every car has it's quirks. My ' 70 442 convertible has offered me many challenges while disassembling and will certainly offer me more whereas the Fieros usually don't suprise me anymore.
Firefox

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-23-2008 02:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FirefoxSend a Private Message to FirefoxEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ok.....time for an update. I haven't done much this past week as Kristie and I have been taking extra care of one of our animals. Our cat Bailey developed a serious resperatory issue last year and we've been doing our best to clear things up but due to compications last week we lost the fight yesterday. He was a very special cat and his loss is devestating. I need to get back into the garage to try to get my mind off of everything and get back on track.

I'm sorry for the delay in getting things moving here but I thought a brief explaination was needed.

Thanks, guys

Mark
jscott1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-23-2008 05:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm so sorry for your loss. I hope that he lived a long and happy life.
Firefox

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-24-2008 10:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FirefoxSend a Private Message to FirefoxEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
He did. Thanks.

The front end is up in the air and the work is progressing. I'll take a couple of pics later and get this back on track.

Mark
Firefox

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-06-2008 07:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FirefoxSend a Private Message to FirefoxEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I've been slow to get things moving as I've had compications from my surgery. Nothing serious, but it's slowed me down. I expect to be getting back on track this weekend.

Mark
jscott1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-06-2008 10:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I hope you feel better soon. Looking forward to seeing some progress. Is it still snowing up there? Probably since it's near cold enough to snow in Texas today.
Firefox

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-07-2008 06:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FirefoxSend a Private Message to FirefoxEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks. Yeah, it's been snowing somewhat constantly until earlier this week and I made the mistake of taking the plow off of the Suburban Wednesday night. There wasn't any snow in the forcast and the plow has been in somewhat constant use since Dec. 1st and I was getting tired of driving around with the thing on there. It's heavy and makes the truck really bounce and that's been very uncomfortable lately. Stupid me. Now we're probably looking at 3-6 inches of snow if the weather pattern holds but I'm crossing my fingers.

I usually love winter, but this year it's worn out it's welcome.

Mark
PFF
System Bot
Firefox

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-13-2008 06:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FirefoxSend a Private Message to FirefoxEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I've been working on the front cover and I've been finding cracks galore. There is a bit of bondo on the face right above the air intake and it's not just a thin smear of Bondo but it's pretty deep and some of that had cracked. I've got that pretty much finished up and spraying a bit of primer to see if I got them all. It's a mess but it's coming along.

It's nice to be back and able to do stuff again.

Mark
jscott1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-13-2008 06:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

It's a mess but it's coming along.

Mark

Glad to hear you are feeling better. I guess you know now why I brought the car to you? At least I know it's being done right this time.

It seems that southern Wisconsin has had the snowiest winter since records have been kept. It seems the late start to the solar cycle has had more effect on Global Climate change than anything humans have done...go figure.

Firefox

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-13-2008 07:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FirefoxSend a Private Message to FirefoxEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Global warming? Ha! Here in the Milwaukee area we have the 4th snowiest winter on record but Green Bay got top honors with the top record for their area. SOmehow I still don't think winter is over yet, but the plow is finally off of the truck.

I've got the rest of the primer on the nose and so far I haven't found anything. When I do some finish sanding I'll know if I have it licked. I'm planning on having most of the paint work done by the end of next week and then I need to coordinate with Archie for the rest of his work plus I think I might do the wetsanding and polishing at his shop if the weather doesnt' warm up. It's kind of hard to hose down the car when it's still freezing outside......kind of creates a pretty layer of ice on the paint that doesn't polish well

More to come!

Mark
jscott1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-13-2008 10:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Keep me posted, and I can start planning my return to the great white north.

Archie

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 546
Rate this member

Report this Post03-13-2008 10:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ArchieClick Here to visit Archie's HomePageSend a Private Message to ArchieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I've been working on the front cover and I've been finding cracks galore. There is a bit of bondo on the face right above the air intake and it's not just a thin smear of Bondo but it's pretty deep and some of that had cracked. I've got that pretty much finished up and spraying a bit of primer to see if I got them all. It's a mess but it's coming along.

Mark

I told you that nose was gonna be a problem.

Archie
Firefox

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-13-2008 10:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FirefoxSend a Private Message to FirefoxEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I always listen to the great Archmeister!
Archie

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 546
Rate this member

Report this Post03-13-2008 10:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ArchieClick Here to visit Archie's HomePageSend a Private Message to ArchieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I always listen to the great Archmeister!

Ahhhhh, you been drinking that imported beer again haven't you?

A
troyboy

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post03-13-2008 10:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for troyboySend a Private Message to troyboyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Mark

http://www.ladyofthecake.co.../sounds/be-worse.wav
jscott1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-13-2008 11:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Archie:

I told you that nose was gonna be a problem.

Archie

Nothing that the Fox can't handle...
Firefox

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-14-2008 11:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FirefoxSend a Private Message to FirefoxEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by troyboy:

http://www.ladyofthecake.co.../sounds/be-worse.wav

I'd love to have some rain instead of snow!

Rain and a nice beer on the porch......I'm so looking forward to warm weather......

PFF
System Bot
Firefox

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-02-2008 08:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FirefoxSend a Private Message to FirefoxEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I finally had warm enough weather to wash the car! I've got just about everything painted and now it's time for the polishing to commence. I'm not going to post any more pics until the car is returned to it's owner so just a little commentary here and there.

By the way, the car is beautiful.

Mark
madcurl

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 314
Rate this member

Report this Post04-02-2008 08:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
What, no before polish pics?
jscott1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-02-2008 08:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by madcurl:

What, no before polish pics?

You will probably see it before I do...

until then imagine this with paint on it:

Firefox

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-02-2008 10:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FirefoxSend a Private Message to FirefoxEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It looks a bit nicer, now......
madcurl

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 314
Rate this member

Report this Post04-13-2008 10:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

It looks a bit nicer, now......

Pics?

jscott1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-14-2008 04:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
We are going underground for the next couple of weeks such that thr next pic should be me picking the car up at Archie's striking a 'Curley Pose'
troyboy

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post04-14-2008 05:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for troyboySend a Private Message to troyboyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

We are going underground for the next couple of weeks such that thr next pic should be me picking the car up at Archie's striking a 'Curley Pose'

Jake_Dragon

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 403
Rate this member

Report this Post04-14-2008 06:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jake_DragonSend a Private Message to Jake_DragonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by troyboy:

exoticse

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 108
Rate this member

Report this Post04-20-2008 11:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for exoticseSend a Private Message to exoticseEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Jscott,

Was studying the stance. What is the suspension setup on your car ?

I noticed you have some sag in the rear that makes the front appear to be somewhat jacked up. Do you plan to rectify that ?

If so, how ?

[This message has been edited by exoticse (edited 04-20-2008).]

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 23 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20   21   22   23 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock