Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat
  The Official History of JScott1's PROUD 1, or Meet Chop Top #14 (Page 8)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 23 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20   21   22   23 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
The Official History of JScott1's PROUD 1, or Meet Chop Top #14 by jscott1
Started on: 07-29-2004 11:12 PM
Replies: 911 (67378 views)
Last post by: jscott1 on 05-17-2020 12:44 AM
madcurl

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 314
Rate this member

Report this Post10-24-2004 12:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hey JScott. Are you gonna mold the front spoiler onto the nose piece?

Oh yeah, bump. I'm bored, hehehe.

IP: Logged
jscott1

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 415
Rate this member

Report this Post10-24-2004 12:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Curley, nothing new to report. but since you bumped it, I'll add to it a little bit.

It still looks this way.

I kind of like the way this car looks. I'm not sure whose it was, but I saw it at Wheatstock. It appears he put a strip of molding in between the fascia and the chin spoiler. I kind of want to do something like that. Blend it in a little bit but not completely.

[This message has been edited by jscott1 (edited 10-27-2004).]

exoticse

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 108
Rate this member

Report this Post10-24-2004 02:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for exoticseSend a Private Message to exoticseEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I like the molded in look better too.

Sure you don't want to reconsider ??

madcurl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-27-2004 09:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hey JScott. I sent Exoticse a altered pic of the IRM rocker. You might like it?

[This message has been edited by madcurl (edited 10-27-2004).]

jscott1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-27-2004 10:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I didn't work on the Chop top this week, but look what came in the mail the other day:

DotTC

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post10-27-2004 11:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DotTCClick Here to visit DotTC's HomePageSend a Private Message to DotTCEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm gonna take a stab and say this one will go alot smoother than the last

------------------
1988 Aero 88 coupe.. 2.8l v6.. more mods to come.
Photo Gallery - Fiero Links - WebShop

Cheever3000

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 178
Rate this member

Report this Post10-27-2004 11:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Cheever3000Send a Private Message to Cheever3000Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That's freakin' nice! Will the right-side airbag be functional?
jscott1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-27-2004 11:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by DotTC:

I'm gonna take a stab and say this one will go alot smoother than the last

Yes and no. There are a lot of lessons learned so it will be easier. But this one will be mounted differently, (as far forward as possible). I am going to do the ventilation differently as well. So in some ways it will not be a walk in the park.

Edit - Cheever the right side airbag could easily be made functional, there is nothing more than a small module about the size of an alarm motion sensor that runs it. The problem is that there is no way to test it, and there is no way to predict how the bag would deploy and the timing might not be right. Then I would need a switch to turn it off when my son is in the right seat. So with all those complications I would prefer not to hook it up. That frees up a lot of space under the dash for amps and whatever.

[This message has been edited by jscott1 (edited 10-27-2004).]

exoticse

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-28-2004 01:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for exoticseSend a Private Message to exoticseEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by madcurl:

Hey JScott. I sent Exoticse a altered pic of the IRM rocker. You might like it?

Here ya go !

mrfixit58

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 113
Rate this member

Report this Post10-28-2004 08:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mrfixit58Send a Private Message to mrfixit58Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by exoticse:

WOW!!!! Is that YOUR handywork? That looks WICKED!!!

I wanna see that in person,

------------------
Roy

double-click on this link to follow my interior build-up //www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/023174.html

Blue 87 GT w/ 4th generation Firebird interior.
Suncoast Fieros

Judged "Best Custom Interior" at the 20th Anniversary Show @ Pontiac, Mich - 7/2003
Judged "Best Custom Interior" at the 8th Annual Fiero Fun Weekend @ Daytona - 3/2004

jscott1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-28-2004 09:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by mrfixit58:

WOW!!!! Is that YOUR handywork? That looks WICKED!!!

I wanna see that in person,

Roy, I guess you haven't been following the Fiero Redux thread...this is Madcurl's 2nd, (or third) Choptop. He is planning to bring it to Daytona next spring if it's completed, so you should get your wish.

I have tentatively planned to come myself by it may be just wishful thinking that my car will be ready for show by then.

PFF
System Bot
exoticse

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-28-2004 11:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for exoticseSend a Private Message to exoticseEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jscott1:

Roy, I guess you haven't been following the Fiero Redux thread...this is Madcurl's 2nd, (or third) Choptop. He is planning to bring it to Daytona next spring if it's completed, so you should get your wish.

I have tentatively planned to come myself by it may be just wishful thinking that my car will be ready for show by then.

jscott, what do you mean tentatively ?? Wishful thinking my butt, get that baby finished and get over here to Daytona !!!

Pleaaaaaaaaaaaassssssssse,...........

[This message has been edited by exoticse (edited 10-28-2004).]

madcurl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-28-2004 11:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks Exoticse for posting pic idea.

Hey JScott, if you notice that the IRM rocker vent is raked back somewhat using the Ausi door rocker. This is what I plan on doing to the Redux. It's just a idea....you no doubt have your own plans. And what is this, "tentatively" going to Daytona?

[This message has been edited by madcurl (edited 10-28-2004).]

madcurl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-09-2004 02:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Man that was some good reading. I needed something to get me "pumped-up." Oh yeah, bump!
jscott1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-20-2004 07:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I took ole choppy in for emissions test today and passed with flying colors...

Sorry about the crappy tiny camera phone pics but it's better than nothing.

25 MPH RPM 1606
HC (ppm) should be <137 was 43 PASS
CO (%) should be <0.87 was 0.00 PASS
Nox (ppm) should be <956 was 508 PASS
Dillution should be >6.0 was 14.9 PASS

15 MPH RPM 1643
HC (ppm) should be <140 was 59 PASS
CO (%) should be <0.79 was 0.01 PASS
Nox (ppm) should be < 1056 was 528 PASS
Dillution should be >6.0 was 14.91 PASS

Actually this was a retest because I took the test last week and failed...badly. Since then I performed the "power steering mod" and changed the O2 Sensor. It was like night and day as far as HC and CO are concerned. And I bet it's faster at the track too. About 1/2 second in the quarter accoring to Linenoise.

madcurl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-20-2004 07:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Did the smog shop say anything regarding the 4.9? Chop?
jscott1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-20-2004 07:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Funny thing, the manager came out to supervise this one personally. He was asking about who did the engine, how much I had invested, what I had planned for the suspension, ect. Coincidently a DeVille came through earlier with the 4.9 right before me. I pointed out it was the same engine, and that it basically bolts in. He was amazed.

Actually the spec did change from when I had the 4 banger, (got a little tighter). They base the number on the displacement and number of cyclinders. I don't know how the computer comes up with the spec, but I passed with enough margin not to worry about it.

Then after I had passed I went back up front and couldn't figure out what was taking so long. I went back there and he says they are fighting back there about whether it's chopped or not. I said "yep three inches" They can't wait to see it next year when it has paint.

[This message has been edited by jscott1 (edited 11-20-2004).]

madcurl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-20-2004 08:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hey J Scott, have your windows been "trained" yet? My Passenger side window is now Trained to go up w/o having me to coach-it up. My Driver side is just about there, maybe in another month?
jscott1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-20-2004 08:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My passenger window was trained before I left Chicago. The driver's side is taking considerably longer, but it's almost there. I still have to coach it into position a little, but I can see it's still getting better all the time. It would probably be faster if it was in the middle of the summer. EDIT, I just realized I said the same thing as you, perhaps Archie's mold for the Driver's side is off just enough to make that side take longer to train?

The good news is that the car was outside this week during an extremely heavy rain, (about 6 inches per hour kind of thing) and not a drop inside. It survived better than the Indy, (and I spend a lot of time working on the Indy sunroof seal, don't know what happened yet )

Now that emissions is behind me I can focus on making some progress in other areas...

[This message has been edited by jscott1 (edited 11-20-2004).]

PBJ

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 147
Rate this member

Report this Post11-20-2004 09:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PBJSend a Private Message to PBJEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for the update on the E/test, Sure made a huge difference, I bet your fuel economy will improve too if you are behaving youself I remember driving in the rain with your car before the side windows settled in, as the day went on I was sitting higher and higher on towels to keep my butt dry and up off the wet seat.

Pete

jscott1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-20-2004 10:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by PBJ:

as the day went on I was sitting higher and higher on towels to keep my butt dry and up off the wet seat.

Pete

So that explains the head marks on the sunroof? thanks for everything Pete.

I want to start on the interior on this car badly but it is going to have to wait for the exterior. I am waiting for my hood scoop to be produced before I can think about paint. It might be after the new year before it happens.

PFF
System Bot
NotAFieroAnyLonger

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 255
Rate this member

Report this Post12-09-2004 06:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NotAFieroAnyLongerSend a Private Message to NotAFieroAnyLongerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Anything new..??
jscott1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-09-2004 08:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Here is a preview of what's coming next:

PBJ

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 147
Rate this member

Report this Post12-09-2004 08:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PBJSend a Private Message to PBJEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ohh, I like them. That will certainly help to shrink the hood appearance.

Pete

jscott1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-09-2004 08:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Pete, you are right the chop top hood seems to go on forever because the windshield becomes an extension of the hood.

Even though I didn't feel like I really needed the cooling I like these vents. And I'm helping to further stimulate the world economy these vents are on their way here from Australia.

Dowdian

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-03-2005 05:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DowdianClick Here to visit Dowdian's HomePageSend a Private Message to DowdianEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Doot-dee-doo...oops, I'm sorry. Did I bump you?

------------------
Dowdian
Chopped up, broken down, bashed in 88 GT that I love dearly.

fourpoint9

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-03-2005 06:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fourpoint9Click Here to visit fourpoint9's HomePageSend a Private Message to fourpoint9Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Here is a preview of what's coming next:

Where did you get the hood vents? NICE !

------------------
fourpoint9
87 notchback 4.9L swap in progress

From: Between The ATL and Augusta in a land of deer and cows

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-03-2005 07:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 007Send a Private Message to 007Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Hey J Scott, have your windows been "trained" yet? My Passenger side window is now Trained to go up w/o having me to coach-it up. My Driver side is just about there, maybe in another month?

What do you mean by "trained"? I assume the windows need manual assistance to go up to their correct position but are you saying that they eventually correct themselves? Guess my question is why do they not go all the way up and how do they actually self correct ( if that is what you mean by trained) Thanks

From: Between The ATL and Augusta in a land of deer and cows

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-03-2005 07:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 007Send a Private Message to 007Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

162 posts
Member since Oct 2002

Curley, Here is a shot of my friend while driving...

Another question....how tall is the guy in the picture and are there any other pics around with people of various heights inside a choptop? Thanks again

jscott1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-03-2005 09:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
fourpoint9: The vent is from Aus Fiero...The picture is one of his showing how it looks installed. I have since received the vent although it's not installed yet. Thanks for the compliment.

007: The side windows are made of plexiglass, (or lexan I'm not sure which) anyway when they are first installed they are not perfectly aligned with the weather seals when the door closes and have to be helped into position. After sitting in the sun for a while in the correct position they eventually take on a "set" where they automatically will line up correctly. Archie calls this training.

Also, my friend is only about 5' 9" but sits real tall in the seat. I'm about 5"10" and sit three inches lower, so I suppose you need to know the person's inseam and estimate how tall their torso is

Most guys on the forum around 6 feet say they fit in a chop top okay. I don't have any other pictures of people sitting in the car though. Thanks for your interest.

[This message has been edited by jscott1 (edited 01-03-2005).]

Cheever3000

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 178
Rate this member

Report this Post01-04-2005 08:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Cheever3000Send a Private Message to Cheever3000Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 007:

... are there any other pics around with people of various heights inside a choptop?

This images is larger than 100K. Click to view.

I don't know how tall blakeinspace is, but here's a pic of him in the GBCT at AAFO's Roundup-6.

PFF
System Bot
NotAFieroAnyLonger

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-07-2005 06:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NotAFieroAnyLongerSend a Private Message to NotAFieroAnyLongerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Jonathan...

Do you have any pictures of the rocker scoops INSIDE the door where they mount..??
You know what I mean..?? The top of the rocker piece where the 'Fiero' flat peice used to snap in...

------------------
Happy New Year 2005... :wtf:

exoticse

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-27-2005 01:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for exoticseSend a Private Message to exoticseEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Hey Jon

Get those hood scoops installed yet ?

jscott1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-27-2005 08:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by exoticse:

Hey Jon

Get those hood scoops installed yet ?

Well, sort of...it doesn't look quite as neat as the way Aus did it above, but after they are smoothed it, should be alright.

NotAFieroAnyLonger

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-27-2005 08:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for NotAFieroAnyLongerSend a Private Message to NotAFieroAnyLongerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by NotAFieroAnyLonger:

Jonathan...

Do you have any pictures of the rocker scoops INSIDE the door where they mount..??
You know what I mean..?? The top of the rocker piece where the 'Fiero' flat peice used to snap in...

Maybe..??
jscott1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-27-2005 09:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by NotAFieroAnyLonger:

Jonathan...

Sorry Smooth for not responding to that question, I don't at the moment have a picture of that area. It's hard to get the doors open enough in the garage to get a good picture, but I can describe it. The rocker completely covers that area where the old "Fiero" and "body by fisher" tabs would go. There are a couple of rivets that hold it in there too. Archie's video shows how to notch out the rocket to fit into that area.

exoticse

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-27-2005 11:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for exoticseSend a Private Message to exoticseEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Well, sort of...it doesn't look quite as neat as the way Aus did it above, but after they are smoothed it, should be alright.

Man that looks like u did a great job, a little smoothing in and it will be perfect !

madcurl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-07-2005 05:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Status Report please. Are you ready to roll in March?
blakeinspace

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 120
Rate this member

Report this Post02-07-2005 06:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for blakeinspaceSend a Private Message to blakeinspaceEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Cheever3000:

This images is larger than 100K. Click to view.

I don't know how tall blakeinspace is, but here's a pic of him in the GBCT at AAFO's Roundup-6.

I am 6'1" and it seemed like there was not much room left for my head.

With losing the 3" from the chop, Archie did a clever job of making you not realize that you are losing that much head room. By shallowing out the seat bottom's and collapsing the seat rails, you may only lose 1" of head room when it is all said and done.

Now the funny part is... that thank God is not pictured... is me trying to get my long legged, arthritic butt, out of that lowered/chopped jewel of a car. It was NOT attractive and probably made the show lose 20 participants, but I made it out. I thing Joel, the former owner, laughed for 10 minutes.... about the length of time I was stuck. Anyway, that remains my favorite Fiero to date... and holds a very special place in Fiero lore for me.

Thanks for the memories, Chuck. And Jon... I am looking forward to seeing that hood treatment in April!

jscott1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-07-2005 07:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Status Report please. Are you ready to roll in March?

Well I don't know...I'm still trying to decide if I'm rolling at all to Florida, let alone in #14.

The list of things is too long for this car for such a short time. I have to finish bonding that scoop. a headlight motor to rebuild, brakes, tires, etc, lots of little things. I would get a lot more satisfaction showing it closer to completion.

- Jonathan

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 23 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20   21   22   23 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock