Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat
  The Official History of JScott1's PROUD 1, or Meet Chop Top #14 (Page 3)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 23 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20   21   22   23 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
The Official History of JScott1's PROUD 1, or Meet Chop Top #14 by jscott1
Started on: 07-29-2004 11:12 PM
Replies: 911 (67380 views)
Last post by: jscott1 on 05-17-2020 12:44 AM
madcurl

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 314
Rate this member

Report this Post08-03-2004 03:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jscott1:

I asked Pete if he had any more turbos laying around. No such luck, so NA.

How long for the 4.9 swap? If you find a turbo for it, can you later install it when you get back home w/o any problems? I know one person or read (girl) who beats Vetts coming and going. You never know, you might run into that guy who got beat by her?
But by the looks of a choptop, usually no one will challage you...they just stare.

IP: Logged
jscott1

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 415
Rate this member

Report this Post08-03-2004 08:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Revin, thanks for the offer, but if there is any fiberglass work done on this car, it will be done by a professional

As for rims, I am an old school 5 spoke chrome guy, so expect to see something like that. I also like the 10 spoke wheels if they are in the basic pattern of a 5 spoke wheel. At least 18" maybe 19". I doubt that I will go 20" as the roads are not that good here and I want to be able to drive the car on the roads.

Most probably I will go with the wing, but I don't know about all the custom glass that Curley has on his...we'll see.

The 4.9 only takes a few weeks, but I am not returning to pick up until September. It gives Pete time to put some test miles on the car. I have no idea how to install a turbo, if I knew how to do that I could do the engine install.

It's hard to imagine any other mods as I have only spent one day with the car as a chop-top. Right now Archie and Pete know the car better than I do

I'm back home now, (finally) 3,600 miles later and I can continue the history part of this thread...but first some more chop-top pics:

jscott1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-03-2004 08:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

jscott1

21676 posts
Member since Dec 2001
Hard to remember the little white coupe from page-1...the last public showing as a coupe was the Lone Star Fiero Christmas party in 2003:

But in a flash on the morning of Febuary 26th the car became a victim of Houston rush hour traffic:

[This message has been edited by jscott1 (edited 08-03-2004).]

jscott1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-03-2004 08:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

jscott1

21676 posts
Member since Dec 2001
The hood was destroyed, hinges completey sheared off; I found one firebird vent laying in the street completely intact...the other I could not find, it must have disintegrated. The hood catchers saved the windshield, but it later was removed by Archie anyway...

The left headlight bucket destroyed, the radiator support damaged, the radiator itself was leaking. This upset me the most as it was an Archie 4-core, (thinking V-8 already? ) Front fascia, left fender and the underlying structure all damaged. Of course the car was still purring like a kitten and drove home just fine.

I decided immediately to rebuild. I repaired all the damage myself, except the radiator, which a local radiator shop fixed, and went searching for panels...

I decided to switch to the aero panels and install the fastback kit that I had been saving for this car. I didn't care too much about color or condition, but coincidently of the 6 cars to donate panels, all were red. Even the black and silver panels were red cars that were painted black and silver, repectively.

My first test fit:

jscott1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-03-2004 09:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

jscott1

21676 posts
Member since Dec 2001
Now to remove the rear clip:

jscott1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-03-2004 09:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

jscott1

21676 posts
Member since Dec 2001
Finally a fastback:

Someone earlier asked about chop tops and integrated rockers...for me it was just easier to add those than to look for stock ground effects. I only wish I knew then that I was going to Archie's as I would not have had them shipped to Houston, and put them on myself, (Archie ended up removing them and intalling them better than what I had done... )

jscott1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-03-2004 09:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

jscott1

21676 posts
Member since Dec 2001
All put back together and driveable again:

Then it occurred to me, why not chop it:

A Chop Top Fantasy:

So off it went to Barrington:

That's all the history for tonight...next up we'll see what magic Archie is capable of...

MaxCubes

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-04-2004 04:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MaxCubesSend a Private Message to MaxCubesEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

That looks more like a lamborgini than a fiero. Amazing what just 3 inches off will do. I would paint it silver, but thats just my opinion.

jscott1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-07-2004 10:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Okay more updates from Canada...

Here is the first look at my new engine, shown here being test fit to the cradle after all the useless caddy components have been removed. It's really getting exciting now

madcurl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-07-2004 11:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Question? are you keeping the power sterring unit on the 4.9 or are you removing it? Do you plan on lowering it?
exoticse

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 108
Rate this member

Report this Post08-07-2004 11:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for exoticseSend a Private Message to exoticseEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by MaxCubes:

That looks more like a lamborgini than a fiero. Amazing what just 3 inches off will do.

I think jscott once said a chop top is the single best mod u can do to a fiero, and he is 150% correct !

It transforms the fiero from a sporty car to a darn near exotic IMO !!

PFF
System Bot
Azriel

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post08-07-2004 11:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AzrielSend a Private Message to AzrielEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Gentlemen, we can rebuild him. We have the technology. Better than he was. Better, faster, stronger.

I'm planning to get mine chopped eventually. My swap is ignorantly expensive, so this day may be a long way off. It's kinda hard to save up $4000 on a $12.36/hr paycheck, especially when you just spent over $2000, and need to spend a good $1500 more for your engine swap. But at least I'd be longitudinal 472 big block caddy chop top #1 with no #2 in sight. Well, unless I park it next to my Taurus. heh

------------------

[This message has been edited by Azriel (edited 08-07-2004).]

jscott1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-07-2004 11:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Curley, the power steering pump has already been removed. Until someone develops a bolt on power steering rack it's not worth keeping. I will at least put lowering springs, if that's not enough then I will consider drop spindles.

Tony, you remember correctly, I said that if you only do one thing then a chop is the single most dramatic change to the car. I can't wait to get some paint on it, but it's going to be another month at least before I get it back.

GTFiero1

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 109
Rate this member

Report this Post08-08-2004 12:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for GTFiero1Send a Private Message to GTFiero1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Okay more updates from Canada...

Here is the first look at my new engine, shown here being test fit to the cradle after all the useless caddy components have been removed. It's really getting exciting now

you gotta flip-flop the valve covers so its easier to fill your oil and to show off the "V8 PFI"

------------------

Carbed 2.9 engine build in progress. forged pistons, crane cam, fully balanced, ARP bolts, double roller timing chain and more
--Adam--
IM AOL: FieroGT5speed

madcurl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-08-2004 12:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Curley, the power steering pump has already been removed. Until someone develops a bolt on power steering rack it's not worth keeping. I will at least put lowering springs, if that's not enough then I will consider drop spindles.

Tony, you remember correctly, I said that if you only do one thing then a chop is the single most dramatic change to the car. I can't wait to get some paint on it, but it's going to be another month at least before I get it back.

The reason why I mentioned it was that D1S does install power sterring units. I know its for N* but it shouldn't be all that hard if the hardware is still hook'd up. Btw, this is not a plug for D1S, I'm just tring to help others from some of my past mistakes and your already here in the US and is passing OK City anyway, hehehehe.

jscott1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-08-2004 09:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
GTFiero1, Pete will flip the valve covers before he installs the engine, he was just lowering it onto the cradle to take some measurements for the motor mounts.

Curley, You are right about the power steering rack, I should have planned on it from the start but I didn't. Oh well, on the next car, I'll consider it.

Thanks everyone who views this thread for your interest.

- Jonathan

NotAFieroAnyLonger

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 255
Rate this member

Report this Post08-08-2004 02:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NotAFieroAnyLongerSend a Private Message to NotAFieroAnyLongerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Oh well, on the next car, I'll consider it.

- Jonathan

HAHA! You sound like Curly now!!
You guy's are such an inspiration... MORE then you realize!
Black-Azz-GT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post08-08-2004 07:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Black-Azz-GTSend a Private Message to Black-Azz-GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Your dedication is great. Alot like mine. I could have bought a new car, but I had a vision.
I always wanted a v8 Fiero that grabed everyones attention and now I have it. Almost.

Congadulations on your dream! Maybe one day we will be able to meet.

------------------
-Chris - Custom Gun Metal 86 GT 3.4 5spd
3.4 SOLD & 4.9 being installed

"It's too low, too rough, too loud, drinks gas, it's totally impractical, but damn good lookin. In other words, It's almost perfect!"
Build up tread or MODS w/ Pics

jscott1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-08-2004 11:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Black-Azz-GT:

Congratulations on your dream! Maybe one day we will be able to meet.

Thanks, I hope to make it to Florida next year, maybe we will hook up at Daytona.

Pete's hard at work on the harness for my engine. This shot makes me glad I'm not the one doing it. He will have it done in about 10 hours...it would take me about 10 months.

[This message has been edited by jscott1 (edited 08-08-2004).]

gaas88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-09-2004 02:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for gaas88Click Here to visit gaas88's HomePageSend a Private Message to gaas88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I've been following this thread and all I can say is that is going to be one awesome machine! The more I see chop top fast backs the more I like them without wings - they just look really slick, slippery and fast. An engine bay window to show off Pete's work would really look cool. Any thoughts on paint color?
NotAFieroAnyLonger

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-11-2004 12:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for NotAFieroAnyLongerSend a Private Message to NotAFieroAnyLongerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
TTT
PFF
System Bot
jscott1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-11-2004 12:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Since I got bumped TTT here is an update...

Pete says the motor is on the cradle, ready for exhaust to be hooked up harness is nearly complete. It could be drivable by the weekend. If it is, then I gave him my blessing to take it out and show it off

[This message has been edited by jscott1 (edited 08-11-2004).]

PBJ

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 147
Rate this member

Report this Post08-11-2004 10:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PBJSend a Private Message to PBJEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Jscott's car is comming along very well, we plan on putting the engine/trans into the car this evening. I will have to snap a few more pictures of the process for Jscott's collection. I have only had wiring harness pictures lately and they are not exactly exciting.

Pete

NotAFieroAnyLonger

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-11-2004 03:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NotAFieroAnyLongerSend a Private Message to NotAFieroAnyLongerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by PBJ:

Jscott's car is comming along very well, we plan on putting the engine/trans into the car this evening. I will have to snap a few more pictures of the process for Jscott's collection. I have only had wiring harness pictures lately and they are not exactly exciting.

Pete

Thanks for the update Pete! I wish you were'nt so far..lol

------------------

Custom Built -- W I D E B O D Y-- GT!!
One of One!! *Under~Surgery*

jscott1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-11-2004 08:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by NotAFieroAnyLonger:Thanks for the update Pete! I wish you were'nt so far..lol

What do you mean, you are closer than me Nothing that two days of driving can't solve. I'll post some more pics as soon as I have them.

zMacK

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 79
Rate this member

Report this Post08-11-2004 10:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for zMacKSend a Private Message to zMacKEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
What what color you gonna paint the beast?
Im thinking a pearl white would look sweet
PBJ

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-11-2004 10:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PBJSend a Private Message to PBJEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I'll post some more pics as soon as I have them.

They're on their way.

Pete

[This message has been edited by PBJ (edited 08-11-2004).]

jscott1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-11-2004 10:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Hey zMack, thanks for checking on the car... As for the color, I had decided on a color, now I'm not so sure. All I can say is that the final color will be one that's in the picture above.

As for today's progress, I officially have a V8 Chop Top:

Here is a good view on the build up of the exhaust. My car is going to have something most 4.9s don't have and that's a full exhaust with Cat and Muffler without cutting the trunk. It's going to be kind of tricky and I'm not exactly sure how it's going to look, but Pete can do it.

Pete has been super at every step of the way letting me decide how I want it built up. No matter where you are in North America, if you want a 4.9, Pete is the guy.

linenoise

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 121
Rate this member

Report this Post08-11-2004 10:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for linenoiseClick Here to visit linenoise's HomePageSend a Private Message to linenoiseEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Thanks, I hope to make it to Florida next year, maybe we will hook up at Daytona.

Pete's hard at work on the harness for my engine. This shot makes me glad I'm not the one doing it. He will have it done in about 10 hours...it would take me about 10 months.

I recall quite fondly the feeling I got when Pete sent me my pictures like this.

linenoise

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-11-2004 10:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for linenoiseClick Here to visit linenoise's HomePageSend a Private Message to linenoiseEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

linenoise

3789 posts
Member since Jun 2003

No matter where you are in North America, if you want a 4.9, Pete is the guy.

Some of the truest words ever spoken on thier forum, Lets not forget Petes unnanmed helper.

jscott1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-12-2004 10:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ladies and Gentlemen it's time for another update from Pete...

It's getting real close to being driveable. The engine is installed with a dogbone and the exhaust hooked up.

And check this out...this was Pete's idea for the oil cooler and it looks sweet!

So expect to see some pics shortly of the car out on the road. Unfortunately I won't be driving it for another month or so, but at least some folks in Canada will be lucky enough to see a Chop Top V8 on the road.

PFF
System Bot
NotAFieroAnyLonger

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-12-2004 10:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NotAFieroAnyLongerSend a Private Message to NotAFieroAnyLongerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for the update!! I wish I had one to give...
NotAFieroAnyLonger

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-12-2004 10:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NotAFieroAnyLongerSend a Private Message to NotAFieroAnyLongerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

NotAFieroAnyLonger

4413 posts
Member since Dec 2003

And check this out...this was Pete's idea for the oil cooler and it looks sweet!

That is pretty trick Pete!!

but at least some folks in Canada will be lucky enough to see a Chop Top V8 on the road.

That's cool!
When are some of us Texas people going to get to see it..??
Are you coming back through East Texas..?? Tyler really...??

linenoise

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-12-2004 11:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for linenoiseClick Here to visit linenoise's HomePageSend a Private Message to linenoiseEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Thats F'ing awsome. Tried to take mine thru the car wash I always use today (1st time since swap) well my oil cooler rules using this car wash out. Also if I don't back out of my garage very slowly the oil cooler makes contact with the cement.

[This message has been edited by linenoise (edited 08-12-2004).]

jscott1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-13-2004 08:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Then it occurred to me, why not chop it:

A Chop Top Fantasy:

So off it went to Barrington:

That's all the history for tonight...next up we'll see what magic Archie is capable of...

Let me fill in the gaps on the history of Proud-1. The picture above was a chop top fantasy picture. I decided since the car was made out of parts from 6 different cars now would be a good time to chop it. I loaded the car on the trailer and headed for Chicago. I left on Friday afternoon and arrived Saturday afternoon. After unloading the car and chatting with Archie for a bit, I turned around and headed for Houston. Houston to Chicago and back in a weekend

[This message has been edited by jscott1 (edited 08-13-2004).]

jscott1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-13-2004 08:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

jscott1

21676 posts
Member since Dec 2001
Careful observers will note that several of my body panels changed colors before and after the chop even. Here is where I can't say enough about how great Archie is. First of all my car has all unique wiring in it, Archie says no problem we'll take care of it. Second, instead of glassing over my damaged rear clip, he replaces it with one of his that's in better shape. Not only that, he decides that my front left fender, right door and roof panels aren't quite right and he replaces them with panels off his own car, all at no cost!! What a great guy he is to do that. If you ever thought about a chop top, don't even think twice about it, just drive to Barrington and Archie will handle it.

madcurl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-14-2004 12:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Question: What type of oil cooler are you using? Do you have a pic of it outside the car? Is it necessary or just additional protection from over-heating?

jscott1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-14-2004 02:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Don't know if I could find a picture of the oil cooler outside the car, I probably have one somewhere...Usually Pete mounts the oil cooler to the cradle, but Pete gave me the opportunity to make at least one of my integrated rockers functional.

[This message has been edited by jscott1 (edited 08-14-2004).]

PBJ

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-14-2004 07:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PBJSend a Private Message to PBJEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by madcurl:

Question: What type of oil cooler are you using? Do you have a pic of it outside the car? Is it necessary or just additional protection from over-heating?

I don't believe I sent Jscott a picture of just the oil cooler. Here is some info on it.

The oil cooler is the one recommended to my by Rockcrawl for its size and strong design as well as built in end mounting brackets. It is from a 700 series turbo volvo. The oil cooler is a very important part of the over all cooling system for an alluminum engine like the 4.9. Here is a picture of the same one used in Iannoy's car, Linenoise also has the same.

Pete

jscott1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-14-2004 10:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for the info on the oil cooler Pete. I would hate to spread misinformation. What I should have said is that all 4.9s leave Pete's Factory with an oil cooler.
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 23 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20   21   22   23 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock