Pennock's Fiero Forum
  The Construction Zone
  The Miura project begins (Page 1)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 21 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20   21 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
The Miura project begins by Archie
Started on: 12-08-2007 07:13 AM
Replies: 834 (215040 views)
Last post by: Archie on 02-03-2023 02:01 PM
Archie

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 546
Rate this member

Report this Post12-08-2007 07:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ArchieClick Here to visit Archie's HomePageSend a Private Message to ArchieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Some of you may recall the Miura project we were getting ready to start on my What's Up At Archie's thread.

Well here it begins.

We got this body in a few weeks ago to build for a customer who also monitors this forum.

This will be a long term project & we'll keep you up to speed as we go.

Here is a link to what was posted in the other thread https://www.fiero.nl/forum/F...024804-52.html#p2059

Here is what the donor car looked like Friday morning.....

By the end of the day, it looked like this

Archie

[This message has been edited by Archie (edited 12-08-2007).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Chris Hodson

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 54
Rate this member

Report this Post12-08-2007 07:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Chris HodsonSend a Private Message to Chris HodsonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
This is going to be good!
Doc John

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-08-2007 09:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Doc JohnSend a Private Message to Doc JohnEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
What drivetrain is the new owner going with?
Archie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-08-2007 10:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ArchieClick Here to visit Archie's HomePageSend a Private Message to ArchieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Doc John:

What drivetrain is the new owner going with?

Right now the plan is for an LS1 6 speed.

Archie
Mr.PBody

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 101
Rate this member

Report this Post12-08-2007 10:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Mr.PBodyClick Here to visit Mr.PBody's HomePageSend a Private Message to Mr.PBodyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Sweet project, definately new. What rims are those? I love the look on the fastback.
WAWUZAT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-08-2007 06:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WAWUZATSend a Private Message to WAWUZATEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I wanna' watch this! The Lambo Miura was one of the prettiest cars ever built. The last I heard was Jay Leno has two of 'em. I'm going to guess that a frame stretch will be in order, but this stretch will probably be at the front end. Hmmm ... just reposition the front crossmember?
mnstrfiero

Feedback score:    (21)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-08-2007 08:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mnstrfieroSend a Private Message to mnstrfieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
the wheels that the fiero has are most likely "drag DR-14's" the DR-14 doesn't stang for 14" rims, that's just the style. i actually like the line of wheels that Drag carries. They can be purchased at tires.com

if you take the time, you can also see that in a wheel search with 5x100 being the bolt pattern, and 17", Drag has a lot of cost effective and attractive wheels. They even have a mesh gold with a polished lip (looks like the HP evo wheels). at only $105 a piece!

these might also be Axis wheels, but those are much more expensive, and axis also has several different widths of wheel to choose from much like FieroTaz's car (the wide body chop top, primer black).
midnightcarving

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-08-2007 09:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for midnightcarvingSend a Private Message to midnightcarvingEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
the miura, to me at least is among the most beautifully styled cars ever produced. both aggressive and elegant.

its sexy.

i'll be watching this one closely.
PaulJK

Feedback score:    (25)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 237
Rate this member

Report this Post12-10-2007 10:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PaulJKSend a Private Message to PaulJKEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The body looks like it was molded for another car - maybe a VW ? To get that to fit, you're gonna have to be 1/2 designer, 1/2 engineer and 1/2 magician . You're gonna have people begging for kits of this one Archie (maybe me included) .... BIG thanks for the thread .....

[This message has been edited by PaulJK (edited 12-10-2007).]

exoticse

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 108
Rate this member

Report this Post12-11-2007 02:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for exoticseSend a Private Message to exoticseEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Archie check your PM.
Austrian Import

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-11-2007 02:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Austrian ImportSend a Private Message to Austrian ImportEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
This is going to be great.

If this is the body shell I think it is, are you going to modify it to exact Miura proportions, or leave it the way it is?
(IIRC if I'm thinking of the same kit, it is a bit shrunken with some proportions changed to fit the European donor car (don't remember what the original donor car was at the moment) )

lots of pics requested

This is going to be such a gorgeous car when it's done, I can tell..

PFF
System Bot
Archie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-11-2007 10:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ArchieClick Here to visit Archie's HomePageSend a Private Message to ArchieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
We spent the day cutting up the Fiero chassis & doing a simple trial fit of the body to get a general idea of how we are going to mount it.

Archie
PaulJK

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-12-2007 07:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PaulJKSend a Private Message to PaulJKEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
OK - i already decided i want one

The parallel designs website has the answer to "what car was it originally made for" ? It was made for "a semi-spaceframe structure constructed from 16 gauge mild steel square tube of varying dimensions."

From the other thread: http://www.paralleldesigns.co.uk/indexframe.html

[This message has been edited by PaulJK (edited 12-12-2007).]

Mr.PBody

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-12-2007 05:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mr.PBodyClick Here to visit Mr.PBody's HomePageSend a Private Message to Mr.PBodyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Wow, the fit is actually relatively close from what I can see, still alot of work though. I will be watching this one.
PaulJK

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-12-2007 06:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PaulJKSend a Private Message to PaulJKEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
After looking at that frame set-up, I'm thinking that building on a functional fiero like Archie's doing is THE way to go with the project. i can't imagine trying to even complete the interior on the frame set-up. How the heck would you put in the A/C heater box, defrosters, ducting, etc. let alone pedal assemblies, etc., etc. What would you do for doors and working windows ?

Looking at the side view, the car looks WELL proportioned. Unlike a lot of kits mounted on a fiero (my corson included), it doesn't look too short in the section from the doors rearward. I think my corson would have looked a LOT better with a 7- inch stretch.

[This message has been edited by PaulJK (edited 12-12-2007).]

Archie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-18-2007 12:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ArchieClick Here to visit Archie's HomePageSend a Private Message to ArchieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Time to stretch the wheelbase a little.

Measure twice, cut once.

Archie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-18-2007 12:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ArchieClick Here to visit Archie's HomePageSend a Private Message to ArchieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Archie

9436 posts
Member since Dec 1999

We got a long way to go but just sitting the body on the chassis, it looks pretty good.

Archie
Fieroseverywhere

Feedback score:    (14)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 89
Rate this member

Report this Post12-18-2007 12:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroseverywhereSend a Private Message to FieroseverywhereEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Bravo!

Watching closely since hour one of this thread. Cant wait to see it on the road. Way to go Archie!

[This message has been edited by Fieroseverywhere (edited 12-18-2007).]

Chris Hodson

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 54
Rate this member

Report this Post12-18-2007 02:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Chris HodsonSend a Private Message to Chris HodsonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
How does the windshield work? Is it still the stock fiero windshield?
Archie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-18-2007 12:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ArchieClick Here to visit Archie's HomePageSend a Private Message to ArchieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Chris Hodson:

How does the windshield work? Is it still the stock fiero windshield?

This body uses the original Miura windshield. They are very rare, the customer found one in Houston & it's going to be on the way.

They are very expensive when you can find one.

Archie
Russ544

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 86
Rate this member

Report this Post12-18-2007 01:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Russ544Send a Private Message to Russ544Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Archie:

Measure twice, cut once.

until I realised this piece was from another donor car, I was thinking "what the F@#$". don't scare me like that Archie. Or maybe it WAS the actual project car and now he's begging for forgivness???
Looks cool so far.

Russ544

------------------
It's just like building a canoe out of a log. first you cut down a tree........ then you cut off everything that doesn't look like a canoe.

[This message has been edited by Russ544 (edited 12-18-2007).]

PFF
System Bot
HC

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-18-2007 03:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for HCClick Here to visit HC's HomePageSend a Private Message to HCEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Wow, I like how the windshield is pushed back, I was wondering how this was going to be accomplished. Your the man Archie...

Did the customer decide on the final color yet?

Original Miura
Archie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-18-2007 03:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ArchieClick Here to visit Archie's HomePageSend a Private Message to ArchieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
We extended the front wheelbase by some 5".

We did that by cutting off the original frame horns on the build car & cutting off the frame horns on a donor front end (5" longer) & then welding it all back together with reinforcement etc.

Archie

Originally posted by Russ544:

until I realised this piece was from another donor car, I was thinking "what the F@#$". don't scare me like that Archie. Or maybe it WAS the actual project car and now he's begging for forgivness???
Looks cool so far.

Russ544

HC

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-18-2007 07:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for HCClick Here to visit HC's HomePageSend a Private Message to HCEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Are all the dimensions on the kit accurate?
Mr.PBody

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-18-2007 08:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mr.PBodyClick Here to visit Mr.PBody's HomePageSend a Private Message to Mr.PBodyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The dimensions look close. Since it was designed to fit on a totally custom frame I would assume its 100% exact in dimensions. Looking great, can't wait to see more. Does the guy want to sell those Drag wheels?
85LAMB

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-18-2007 09:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 85LAMBSend a Private Message to 85LAMBEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Archie
Thanks for posting the pics, the car is looking great

The one thing I am wondering is how are you going to get the correct ride hight.
By looking at the pics, it almost seams like if the body has to be "chaneled" on the frame...
I am just wondering... then I thougth I guess the car has to have all the weight on it..
I am really looking forward to this build.

Keep up the good work
Mr.PBody

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-18-2007 09:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mr.PBodyClick Here to visit Mr.PBody's HomePageSend a Private Message to Mr.PBodyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I think I see a coil over in the back.... You gotta remember with no fluids, no motor, no glass, no trans, stock wheels, no interior, and a somewhat stock suspension, yeah its sitting high. You add back that 1,000lbs+ yeah, it'll come down. Tweak the suspension, get the right wheel and tire package and it'll look right.
Formula88

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 554
Rate this member

Report this Post12-18-2007 10:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Awesome! I've always love the Miura. Beautiful car. Simply beautiful!
HC

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-19-2007 03:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for HCClick Here to visit HC's HomePageSend a Private Message to HCEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I can't wait to see what you guys are gonna do to the headlamp motors... Lambo OEM?

(Edit: 100th post!)

[This message has been edited by HC (edited 12-19-2007).]

Mr.PBody

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-19-2007 04:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mr.PBodyClick Here to visit Mr.PBody's HomePageSend a Private Message to Mr.PBodyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by HC:

I can't wait to see what you guys are gonna do to the headlamp motors... Lambo OEM?

(Edit: 100th post!)

Its a really easy job, lambo miura lights are fixed...

Archie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-20-2007 12:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ArchieClick Here to visit Archie's HomePageSend a Private Message to ArchieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Actually the headlights do pivot up a little bit.

You can see the actuator motor on this page http://www.huskyclub.com/tavheadlights.html

I don't pretend to be an expert on the Miura. The customer is my expert on the car & we're going to try to make it as accurate as we can.

Right now the plan is to use 928 lights.

Archie

[This message has been edited by Archie (edited 12-20-2007).]

PFF
System Bot
JimmyS

Feedback score:    (31)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 124
Rate this member

Report this Post12-20-2007 12:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JimmySClick Here to visit JimmyS's HomePageSend a Private Message to JimmySEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
This is going to be good!. I will be watching this build for sure.
I spy Front Coilovers on the Fiero. Where might someone find those for sale?

------------------

My best advice when it comes to your Fiero is to "NOT" do any dealings with www.kitcarman.com
https://www.fiero.nl/forum/A...070315-1-061575.html <~ The drama with kitcarman
https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/078336.html <~ finishing and fixing kitcarmans mess
https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/079860.html <~ re-do after kitcarmans motor blew up.

HC

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-20-2007 02:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for HCClick Here to visit HC's HomePageSend a Private Message to HCEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Tony Montana's car? Hehe.

"Bulletproof this, and this right here, and get me one of them scramblers."

The Porsche's pop out more though.

Mr.PBody

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-20-2007 02:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mr.PBodyClick Here to visit Mr.PBody's HomePageSend a Private Message to Mr.PBodyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
hunh, well I had never seen them swivel up like that, I even googled around before I commented. Sorry to whoever I corrected.
HC

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-20-2007 04:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for HCClick Here to visit HC's HomePageSend a Private Message to HCEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
No biggie!

Any more eye candy?
DESTOS

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-21-2007 10:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DESTOSSend a Private Message to DESTOSEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Oh great, I can't wait to see this progress.

I've been wanting to see a Miura project ever since Bubba mentioned doing one in his build thread. I never thought about one before then, and I've always loved the Miura.
merlot566jka

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-22-2007 06:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for merlot566jkaSend a Private Message to merlot566jkaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

???
THE BEAST

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-22-2007 07:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for THE BEASTSend a Private Message to THE BEASTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
This is one bad @ss project, and I just thought about the Jota version of this lambo its just insane...Also the one that was at display at the Detroit auto show last year is one nice looking car too, but just keep in mind that this is a car that even in the vintage look from the factory trim still shows well, and yet the other versions are none the less doable and beautiful!

JG
PaulJK

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-22-2007 10:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PaulJKSend a Private Message to PaulJKEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I love that design but the headlights always struck me as a bit odd. i think it would look a LOT better with headlights into fenders like these:

fourpoint9

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-22-2007 11:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fourpoint9Click Here to visit fourpoint9's HomePageSend a Private Message to fourpoint9Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Here's a guy who has the Miura Eyelashes, rear lights and lenses,front screen,and a complete set of wheels for sale.
http://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C26686?pt=pf

[This message has been edited by fourpoint9 (edited 05-04-2008).]

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 21 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20   21 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock