Pennock's Fiero Forum
  The Construction Zone
  Audi A8 My Fiero (Page 5)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 55 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20   21   22   23   24   25   26   27   28   29   30   31   32   33   34   35   36   37   38   39   40   41   42   43   44   45   46   47   48   49   50   51   52   53   54   55 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
Audi A8 My Fiero by engine man
Started on: 06-10-2012 12:09 PM
Replies: 2191 (103495 views)
Last post by: MarkS on 12-05-2023 09:49 AM
engine man

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-31-2012 12:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for engine manSend a Private Message to engine manEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
so close but not yet i guess i am being very careful with my trimming i am off by a 1/4 inch and the water pump pulley is just hitting and the passenger side motor mount needs some grinding due t it is hitting the front cradle stirrup mount
IP: Logged
engine man

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-31-2012 06:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for engine manSend a Private Message to engine manEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

engine man

5298 posts
Member since Mar 2006
It's in

Austrian Import

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-01-2012 03:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Austrian ImportSend a Private Message to Austrian ImportEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I still can't believe it fits!

How much lower does that motor sit in the engine bay than the Fiero motor did? Or compared to a LS4 swap?

Wonder why an LS motor could never do a longitudinal layout like that? - Is it the lack of a fwd transaxle? (using adapter plates takes up precious room?)

[This message has been edited by Austrian Import (edited 09-01-2012).]

Austrian Import

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-01-2012 04:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Austrian ImportSend a Private Message to Austrian ImportEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Austrian Import

3919 posts
Member since Feb 2007
Forgive me if you mentioned this before:
What car is that engine out of specifically? Was there a plastic cover over the engine of some sort? I'm trying to picture what this motor usually looked like, as a quick google image search yields about a dozen different engine cover layouts.

OneSlowFiero

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-01-2012 04:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for OneSlowFieroSend a Private Message to OneSlowFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That looks awesome! I can't wait to hear an exhaust clip. That intake manifold would look awesome chromed or painted the same color as the car. Great work!
-Josh
engine man

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-01-2012 07:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for engine manSend a Private Message to engine manEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
the top of the engine is about a few inches lower then the stock 2.8 . i need to get some new plastic covers and it would look nice if i sanded and polished that intake no need to chrome it is aluminum and can be polished and the engine came out of a 1998 Audi A8 it has 299 HP from the factory internals are all forged including the pistons . thanks for the comments i am having a ball building this

[This message has been edited by engine man (edited 09-01-2012).]

Will

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 237
Rate this member

Report this Post09-01-2012 08:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Austrian Import:

Wonder why an LS motor could never do a longitudinal layout like that? - Is it the lack of a fwd transaxle? (using adapter plates takes up precious room?)

LS engines are much too long. The Audi has a 91mm bore center. The LS and Chevy engines have 111.8 mm bore center
engine man

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-01-2012 12:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for engine manSend a Private Message to engine manEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yes the LS engine would be a big challenge but it could be done if you used this transmission but it would be allot of work and money as you need the special clutch set up for this transmission

Austrian Import

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-01-2012 12:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Austrian ImportSend a Private Message to Austrian ImportEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Will:
LS engines are much too long. The Audi has a 91mm bore center. The LS and Chevy engines have 111.8 mm bore center

Thank you! Was always curious. If you happen to have the numbers, what's the measurements of a Subie Boxer, or other very "short" (lengthwise) engine blocks?
engine man

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-01-2012 01:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for engine manSend a Private Message to engine manEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If i where to do a 6 cylinder longitudinal i would use a 4.3 Chevy v6 1996 and up they have good cylinder heads and they are short enough to work but have good displacement and Kennedy engineering has adapter plates and flywheels . I tried talking a friend into this swap but he has a racing 4.3 V6 with Brodix # 10 little brodie's all ported and solid lifter roller cam it makes around 430 HP na at the crank

[This message has been edited by engine man (edited 09-01-2012).]

Austrian Import

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-01-2012 10:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Austrian ImportSend a Private Message to Austrian ImportEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

PFF
System Bot
Austrian Import

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-01-2012 10:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Austrian ImportSend a Private Message to Austrian ImportEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Austrian Import

3919 posts
Member since Feb 2007
Curious: Why are you using a clutch without springs, as opposed to a sprung one?

One like this clutchnet one (with covered springs)

engine man

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-01-2012 11:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for engine manSend a Private Message to engine manEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
no real reason just i found a disk for $69 on ebay so i bought it. it maybe tough to take off smooth with it but we will see as i have driven solid hub clutches before just not on the street
engine man

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-02-2012 12:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for engine manSend a Private Message to engine manEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
i should have the rear suspension on by the end of the week then in a few weeks i will buy the plug for the Vems ecu and wire that up then all i will need is to buy the Vems ecu with it all programed and just plug it in and it should run

[This message has been edited by engine man (edited 09-02-2012).]

Will

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-02-2012 03:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The springs in the clutch hub only serve to silence gear rattle in the transmission. They have no effect on the driver's ability to modulate the clutch (until they come out of their sockets in the hub and jam the release mechanism, that is)
engine man

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-02-2012 10:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for engine manSend a Private Message to engine manEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
True throttle and clutch control are the biggest part of taking off smooth
tampalinc

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-02-2012 10:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tampalincSend a Private Message to tampalincEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
What trans are you running and do you know the gear ratios?
From doing some quick searches, it looks like the 01E code ARX would be great with the ABZ 4.2L engine in a Fiero.
Can't wait to see this thing running and driving.

[This message has been edited by tampalinc (edited 09-03-2012).]

engine man

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-03-2012 07:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for engine manSend a Private Message to engine manEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have the 012 transmission it is a 5 speed that is used in 97-99 boxsters and it is in VW passat and the A4 mine is out of a 2001 passat that had a 2.8 . If i upgrade the power with turbos in the future then i will get the 01E or if i blow this trans up i will get the 01E 6 speed
Austrian Import

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-03-2012 03:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Austrian ImportSend a Private Message to Austrian ImportEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well, if the clutch works for you, then why not?

Are you using stock Audi engine, transmission mounts, or are you mounting them solid? What's your reasoning either way?
tampalinc

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-03-2012 06:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tampalincSend a Private Message to tampalincEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
How close do the axles get to lining up with the hub?
Does it look like their is any chance of using Audi hubs in place of the Fiero?
engine man

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-03-2012 06:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for engine manSend a Private Message to engine manEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
the passat axle look to be the right length and it they are about 4 3/4 off center with the hub i have been tempted to see if i could press the fiero hub out and press in a passat hub as they are the same bolt pattern 5 x 100 . If i could just find what the dimension are of the bearing in the fiero hub assembly

[This message has been edited by engine man (edited 09-03-2012).]

PFF
System Bot
engine man

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-03-2012 07:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for engine manSend a Private Message to engine manEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
well after doing a quick search using a vw hub wont work so on with my other idea
seajai

Feedback score:    (42)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 52
Rate this member

Report this Post09-03-2012 10:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for seajaiSend a Private Message to seajaiEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by engine man:

the passat axle look to be the right length and it they are about 4 3/4 off center with the hub i have been tempted to see if i could press the fiero hub out and press in a passat hub as they are the same bolt pattern 5 x 100 . If i could just find what the dimension are of the bearing in the fiero hub assembly

Check out this site: http://catalog.prec-auto.com/ It's an online catalog for Precision wheel bearings. When you pull up the bearing, you can click on "attributes" and it will have all of the dimensions for that particular bearing.

engine man

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-04-2012 01:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for engine manSend a Private Message to engine manEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
OK what i can do is use a 2000 Audi A6 wheel bearing assembly then use the 2000 VW Passat hub but it looks like the knuckle will need some machining
Sourmug

Feedback score:    (29)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 144
Rate this member

Report this Post09-04-2012 01:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SourmugSend a Private Message to SourmugEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Looks like she's coming along nicely, thanks for posting pictures on your progress.

Nolan
engine man

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-04-2012 03:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for engine manSend a Private Message to engine manEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks i hope in the end it is half as nice as yours Sourmug
engine man

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-04-2012 07:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for engine manSend a Private Message to engine manEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

engine man

5298 posts
Member since Mar 2006
Jeez having more fun with the rear knuckles and rusted cross bolt's gonna have to bring it to the machinist to have them removed
Chris Hodson

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 54
Rate this member

Report this Post09-04-2012 08:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Chris HodsonSend a Private Message to Chris HodsonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You are my hero.
engine man

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-04-2012 08:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for engine manSend a Private Message to engine manEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Dont't know why i would be a hero but thanks
engine man

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-04-2012 09:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for engine manSend a Private Message to engine manEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

engine man

5298 posts
Member since Mar 2006
OK i thought i would share how i plan on solving the drive axle issue out at the wheels .
first i will have the machine shop machine off the spindle of the VW outer cv joint and bore a hole

then i will have them machine off the Fiero spindle with extra material

then i will have them take the fiero spindle with the extra material and turn it down to fit the hole in the VW CV joint with a press fit i will also leave a step so it sits square then just weld around it all done now you have a cv joint that fits the passat axles with a fiero spindle end
seajai

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-04-2012 11:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for seajaiSend a Private Message to seajaiEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
How tough would it be to have the outer end VW axle re-ground to the correct dia and spline count to fit into the Fiero C/V joint? Then it would be as easy as sticking a Fiero C/V on a VW shaft. Also would make any future C/V repairs easy.

[This message has been edited by seajai (edited 09-04-2012).]

PFF
System Bot
engine man

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-05-2012 02:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for engine manSend a Private Message to engine manEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
you could do that but you are still in the same boat if the axle breaks then you need another resplined so no matter what way you go there is going to be something. I just figure my local shop can do this where if the axle needs to be resplined it needs to be sent away

[This message has been edited by engine man (edited 09-05-2012).]

Will

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-05-2012 10:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If you had Moser or similar make a custom set of shafts, you won't ever deal with breaking a shaft.
engine man

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-05-2012 11:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for engine manSend a Private Message to engine manEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
OK what i am ending up doing is make it use all stock parts. so the knuckle will be machined to except these Audi A6 bearings and the VW passat 5 x 112 wheel bolt pattern hubs that will be pressed in and then i can just use stock VW passat axles. i will need to re-drill the rotor to 5x112 or the hub to 5x100

[This message has been edited by engine man (edited 09-05-2012).]

Will

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-05-2012 01:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

then i can just use stock VW passat axles.

Is the track width correct?

i will need to re-drill the rotor to 5x112 or the hub to 5x100

Or use VW wheels...
engine man

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-05-2012 02:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for engine manSend a Private Message to engine manEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
yes the track width was like 1/2 inch different so a 1/4 inch per side
engine man

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-06-2012 03:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for engine manSend a Private Message to engine manEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I am going with a standalone computer for the engine so do i leave the stock computer in the car and only hook up the Gauge connections to the engine or how is it done
fieroguru

Feedback score:    (45)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 258
Rate this member

Report this Post09-06-2012 04:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

OK what i am ending up doing is make it use all stock parts. so the knuckle will be machined to except these Audi A6 bearings and the VW passat 5 x 112 wheel bolt pattern hubs that will be pressed in and then i can just use stock VW passat axles. i will need to re-drill the rotor to 5x112 or the hub to 5x100

You probably need to check fitment to the 88 upright to make sure there is material in the location of the new mounting pattern.
engine man

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-06-2012 06:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for engine manSend a Private Message to engine manEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ya the machinist was a little worried about that but it looked like if positioned just right it would work
seajai

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-06-2012 10:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for seajaiSend a Private Message to seajaiEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I am going with a standalone computer for the engine so do i leave the stock computer in the car and only hook up the Gauge connections to the engine or how is it done

The gauges are just operated by sensors and not dependent on the ECM. The problem you are going to have is making the tach work with COP ignition and the speedo work with a VW speed sensor. The Fiero speed sensor is a permanent magnet generator producing 4000 pulses per mile. You would need to find out what style sensor is used in the VW tranny and how many PPM it puts out. I'm not too sure how to marry the two. I would suggest downloading the 88 factory service manual if you haven't already.

Service manual is here: http://www.fieronews.net/fu...nloads.php?cat_id=15

[This message has been edited by seajai (edited 09-06-2012).]

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 55 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20   21   22   23   24   25   26   27   28   29   30   31   32   33   34   35   36   37   38   39   40   41   42   43   44   45   46   47   48   49   50   51   52   53   54   55 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock