Pennock's Fiero Forum
  The Construction Zone
  Audi A8 My Fiero (Page 16)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 55 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20   21   22   23   24   25   26   27   28   29   30   31   32   33   34   35   36   37   38   39   40   41   42   43   44   45   46   47   48   49   50   51   52   53   54   55 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
Audi A8 My Fiero by engine man
Started on: 06-10-2012 12:09 PM
Replies: 2191 (103493 views)
Last post by: MarkS on 12-05-2023 09:49 AM
Will

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 237
Rate this member

Report this Post09-28-2014 07:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You're not running a 5V module on 12V are you?
IP: Logged
engine man

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-28-2014 08:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for engine manSend a Private Message to engine manEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
i don't think it would be 12 v due to the proto area that the resistors are hooked to is 5 v as seen in the wiring schematics i posted but what i think could be all wrong

[This message has been edited by engine man (edited 09-28-2014).]

engine man

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-28-2014 08:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for engine manSend a Private Message to engine manEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

engine man

5298 posts
Member since Mar 2006
if I cant do it with these modules i will redo the megasquirt with BIP 373 modules but i am not to that point yet
engine man

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-29-2014 04:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for engine manSend a Private Message to engine manEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
i am going to try 1 more set of new ignition modules they are not made by Bosch but are supposed to be direct replacement for the Bosch 0 227 100 211 Ignition Module
Will

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-30-2014 10:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Do you have the original Audi wiring diagrams?
engine man

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-30-2014 06:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for engine manSend a Private Message to engine manEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I had them not sure if i still have them
Will

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-30-2014 07:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It's going to be tough for anyone to guess what you did wrong if we don't know what it's supposed to look like when it's done right...

The modules are separate from the coils, right? One for each bank?

In asking about 12V vs. 5V, I wasn't referring to your MS. The whole point of an igniter/module is that it's a high current driver to charge the coil... having it separate gets the high current (and resulting heat load) out of the ECM. That means that the modules need a power source in addition to the signal from the ECM. I just wanted to verify that they aren't weird and aren't designed for 5V power instead of 12V power.

Is your signal polarity correct? Are you running 90% duty cycle when you think you're running 10%?

Because the modules are getting hot, that means they're moving more current than they're supposed to... which could be an error of supply voltage, or an error of dwell/duty cycle...
You're using the modules with the coils they were originally designed to drive, right?
engine man

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-30-2014 08:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for engine manSend a Private Message to engine manEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
ok what i do know is the output side of the module are stock what i mean it is how it was wired from Audi the coils are wired as they come from Audi and on the input side i know the brown wire that is a ground as i made sure i looked at that in the schematics and the only thing left are the input signal wires 4 per module so i know i have that right now what i don't know is how long to turn on each channel and if there should be a resistor to each channel and the signal should be 5V out to the modules from what i am looking at on the megasquirt

[This message has been edited by engine man (edited 09-30-2014).]

Will

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-01-2014 04:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Any way of finding out what the original Audi dwell is?

How does the polarity of your signal compare to the polarity of the original?

If the original signal is normaly grounded, then a pulse to +5V for the dwell period, while the new signal is +5V all the time with a drop to ground for the dwell period... not only will timing be off, but the modules will heat up.

[This message has been edited by Will (edited 10-01-2014).]

engine man

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-01-2014 06:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for engine manSend a Private Message to engine manEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
i think i am going to redo the megasquirt like it is hooked to the bip373 mosfet so i know that the signal is power on then power off and i will set the dwell to 3 ms for starters i picked up some 680 ohm resistors so i can do it tomorrow

[This message has been edited by engine man (edited 10-01-2014).]

engine man

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-01-2014 09:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for engine manSend a Private Message to engine manEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

engine man

5298 posts
Member since Mar 2006
Will after looking closer at the schematic for the way i did my ignition outputs on the megasquirt it is looking like there is 5V most of the time so i need to change that but if some one who knows electronics could chime in and tell me witch way will give me a on off signal

[This message has been edited by engine man (edited 10-01-2014).]

PFF
System Bot
Will

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-02-2014 11:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You have the V3.0 board, right?

For the left ends of R26, R27 & R29 above (and the JS11 signal)... are those outputs normally +5V or normally grounded?

Get your DVM out and measure what the voltage on the wires actually is... Most cheap DVM's nowadays can even measure frequency and duty cycle, which would be immensely helpful to you for troubleshooting this.
engine man

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-02-2014 07:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for engine manSend a Private Message to engine manEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
yes i have the V3 board and i changed it to the way they have it coming off J11,r26,r27 & r29 with resistors and now the Bosch module does not get hot like it was but i cant seem to run 2 of the new modules for what reason i dont know but it wont start with 2 of the new modules not sure if i need less dwell under the dwell while cranking but it seems all 8 are runing when i get it started . i need to work on getting it to idle then i must check the timing not sure how i am going to do that with cop as there aren't any plug wires . at least i am gaining ground on it and it has a nice exhaust note i think
Will

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-02-2014 07:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It'll start with old modules but not new ones?

I'd say any module that's been subjected to the backwards input signal is suspect and could have been damaged.

I don't think higher dwell makes it hard to start... it just puts more heat through the module and coil.

[This message has been edited by Will (edited 10-02-2014).]

engine man

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-02-2014 08:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for engine manSend a Private Message to engine manEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I still don't understand why with the new ones it wont start but as long as the old Bosch one works and it starts with it and does not get hot i don't care and since i changed the megasquirt to the new ignition output configuration they stay cool and it revs

[This message has been edited by engine man (edited 10-02-2014).]

Will

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-03-2014 09:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Bosch builds good stuff. Are the new ones Bosch?
engine man

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-03-2014 02:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for engine manSend a Private Message to engine manEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
no some off brand
Will

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-04-2014 01:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
They might be toast, then.
engine man

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-04-2014 02:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for engine manSend a Private Message to engine manEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
i bought a used Bosch module the other night on ebay but haven't got it yet but i will use it along with the other one i have that is good . i want to get it to idle but i think that since i only have one good working module there is no sense to try setting it up yet so i will wait and i have some more pipes so i can get the mufflers on it then i will take a new video of it running
engine man

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-07-2014 06:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for engine manSend a Private Message to engine manEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
i took a video today but the sound was so bad when i just watched it i wont post it i need to put the camera further away . the car needs to be tuned that will take driving it with VE analyzer live turned on so it automatically tunes it
Kemp3

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-08-2014 01:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Kemp3Send a Private Message to Kemp3Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Engine Man,

VE analyzer does work quite well , just make sure you have all the parameters set correctly in ego controls. There is a built in VE table generator that can get you close if you know enough about your engine. Just take it easy and it will do its thing for you.

Good Luck Have Fun
PFF
System Bot
engine man

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-08-2014 08:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for engine manSend a Private Message to engine manEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
i dint know about the table generator what is that under so i can use it as i am pig rich right now
engine man

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-08-2014 09:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for engine manSend a Private Message to engine manEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

engine man

5298 posts
Member since Mar 2006
I found the AFR table generator and filed it out got the info but cant seem to save it as the correct type of file i used notepad like they said but it doesn't do that type of file what am i doing wrong
engine man

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-11-2014 02:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for engine manSend a Private Message to engine manEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
no driving the car this weekend exhuast pipes dint show looks like they will be hear monday and it looks like i need to replace the passenger side valve cover gasket as i keep having oil in the spar plug wells . i did try it a little bit and it felt like it is going to be fun to drive with good power! but i know i will want more power

[This message has been edited by engine man (edited 10-11-2014).]

engine man

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-12-2014 01:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for engine manSend a Private Message to engine manEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
ok i found some info i had wrong and it was injector size i thought i had 21lbs per hour injectors but the are 19.7 this is based on the injector part number and looking it up on line at Stan wise fuel injector flow then i had to calculate for the higher fuel pressure going from 43 to 60 psi so i will correct that . I loaded all my fuel maps and ignition maps in manually one number at a time so it should be running better i just need to learn more about the idle so i can get that correct
engine man

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-12-2014 07:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for engine manSend a Private Message to engine manEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

engine man

5298 posts
Member since Mar 2006
now i am trying to figure out what my injector dead time should be i am trying to get it right but it seems like i am finding bits and pieces to the puzzle
Kemp3

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-12-2014 09:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Kemp3Send a Private Message to Kemp3Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
.8 will work just fine for the injector dead-time, when you are all tuned and running well you can play with the dead-time and offset more. But get as much worked out now as possible, the dead-time isn't crucial .
engine man

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-13-2014 09:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for engine manSend a Private Message to engine manEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Kemp3 i am running pwm Bosch 2 wire idle valve and cant get it to idle yet but am working on it
engine man

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-13-2014 03:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for engine manSend a Private Message to engine manEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

engine man

5298 posts
Member since Mar 2006
Grrrrr fouling plugs out cant get this tuned with narrow band O2 and 14point7 is all out of the wide band one i want
Kemp3

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-13-2014 10:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Kemp3Send a Private Message to Kemp3Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
In the test mode there is an idle valve test, you should use that to see if the idle valve is even working and which direction it is moving if at all.

If your fouling plugs then most likely you are rich , cut fuel from idle realm until you get the lowest kpa numbers. Are you using the idle ve table ? if not make sure its off and just us the ve table.

GLHF
engine man

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-14-2014 11:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for engine manSend a Private Message to engine manEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
ya i checked the idle valve and it isn't working so i need to put a more robust transistor in for Q4 on the board to get it working again i will make all the repairs to that tonight .
PFF
System Bot
engine man

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-14-2014 06:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for engine manSend a Private Message to engine manEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

engine man

5298 posts
Member since Mar 2006
well i worked on the car today after walking away from the 72 350SL Mercedes that i am getting running for a customer .I put the rest of the exhaust on and started the car to see how it sounds i like it but it has it's own sound it doesn't sound like a European nor does it sound American but i think it sound good
engine man

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-15-2014 07:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for engine manSend a Private Message to engine manEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
what the hell not running again it starts on starting fluid or gas if i pour or spray it in the throttle body . i will check the injectors to make sure they there working if there working then on to fuel pressure
IVANNATINKLE

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-16-2014 04:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IVANNATINKLESend a Private Message to IVANNATINKLEEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Oh no very much looking forward to seeing this one up and running!
engine man

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-16-2014 07:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for engine manSend a Private Message to engine manEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
i cant seem to figure out why the injectors are not firing i checked the wires from the megasquirt and they are fine no breaks and the jim stim for testing the megasquirt shows the injectors firing but when a test light is plugged in it is not flashing i know i have power to the injectors and i took and tapped the injectors wire from the megasquirt to ground and they fire so why are they not firing
Kemp3

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-16-2014 10:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Kemp3Send a Private Message to Kemp3Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
check all your settings in TS, maybe you accidentally changed something like required fuel or turned on idle ve and its set to 0 ? just go through everything and make sure nothing is out of sorts.
engine man

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-17-2014 09:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for engine manSend a Private Message to engine manEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I wish i could say things are better but there not now i cant get the Megasquirt to work it is disconecting from tunerstudio and shutting down i think i fried the daughter board or something i will have to get a good ohm meeter and check every thing i can if it is the board i will get a new one
engine man

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-18-2014 09:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for engine manSend a Private Message to engine manEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
after hours of testing i feel that i have killed the daughter board so i will order a new one coming and get it going again

[This message has been edited by engine man (edited 10-18-2014).]

engine man

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-19-2014 05:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for engine manSend a Private Message to engine manEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
pulled my hair out for three days and think the daughter board is gone because i could not load the updated firmware so i order a new daughter board then i find it yes i find i am getting a voltage drop from my Jimstim but it seemed every time i pluged it in to the megasquirt it seem to overheat and voltage drop but it wasn't the megasquirt it was the cpu on the jimstim i just happen to touch it and found that it was hot way hotter than it should be so pulled it problem cured i got the new firmware loaded and reloaded my tune now i get to try it tommorow
engine man

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-19-2014 09:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for engine manSend a Private Message to engine manEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

engine man

5298 posts
Member since Mar 2006
Kemp3 i am starting at ground zero and working from there so i started a whole new tune i feel this is best way and i hope the injectors work

[This message has been edited by engine man (edited 10-19-2014).]

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 55 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20   21   22   23   24   25   26   27   28   29   30   31   32   33   34   35   36   37   38   39   40   41   42   43   44   45   46   47   48   49   50   51   52   53   54   55 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock