Pennock's Fiero Forum
  The Construction Zone
  Audi A8 My Fiero (Page 33)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 55 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20   21   22   23   24   25   26   27   28   29   30   31   32   33   34   35   36   37   38   39   40   41   42   43   44   45   46   47   48   49   50   51   52   53   54   55 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
Audi A8 My Fiero by engine man
Started on: 06-10-2012 12:09 PM
Replies: 2191 (103407 views)
Last post by: MarkS on 12-05-2023 09:49 AM
engine man

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-21-2017 12:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for engine manSend a Private Message to engine manEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks Joe i am going to paint it my self i just need to remember that the color does not shine so just don't put t on thick and get runs and the clear can be wet sanded and buffed to a shine
IP: Logged
onesexyfiero

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-21-2017 05:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for onesexyfieroSend a Private Message to onesexyfieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Good choice. Not worth taking a chance on unknown quality. Just load up the clear and wet sand.

It looks like the body lines of the kit end pretty abruptly at the front of the door. Might be worth glassing in a bit of body line across the middle and bottom of the rear of the fender to fade it out a little smoother. Also looks like you've deleted all the black molding besides the front bumper. Might look strange with just one little bit of it left. You could glass that flush and use a different sidemarker. I'm using a new Camaro light on mine.
onesexyfiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-21-2017 05:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for onesexyfieroSend a Private Message to onesexyfieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

onesexyfiero

771 posts
Member since Apr 2008
Also be sure not to lay paint so heavy you get runs. They're a ***** to sand out. Lay enough (in multiple coats) so you can sand out peel, but runs drastically increase the odds you'll burn through.
engine man

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-21-2017 08:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for engine manSend a Private Message to engine manEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
i could glass the fenders to the bumper and make the front 1 piece but wont be priming tomorrow morning but i could have it ready by afternoon
onesexyfiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-22-2017 08:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for onesexyfieroSend a Private Message to onesexyfieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I don't know if its worth it to loose the ability to pull the front bumper, and I'm afraid a seam like that would end up cracking. A clean body seam wouldn't look bad, and there are still plenty of bolts to keep the bumper in place between the inner fender and the lower mounts.
engine man

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-22-2017 09:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for engine manSend a Private Message to engine manEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
oh well it is happening right now it will look good and i intend on glass matt on the back side of the seam for strength
engine man

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-22-2017 06:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for engine manSend a Private Message to engine manEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

engine man

5298 posts
Member since Mar 2006
it s all primed but i have a few things that need work like the top of the door has some pin holes that didn't fill and the front end need more massaging

Neils88

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 56
Rate this member

Report this Post01-22-2017 08:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Neils88Send a Private Message to Neils88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That is looking great!
engine man

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-22-2017 08:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for engine manSend a Private Message to engine manEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
thanks Neils88 i try hard and if i don't like what i see or feel i do it over and over until i get it the way i want it

[This message has been edited by engine man (edited 01-22-2017).]

engine man

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-23-2017 12:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for engine manSend a Private Message to engine manEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
car with hood
engine man

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-24-2017 01:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for engine manSend a Private Message to engine manEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It's funny how i just keep going around and around the car to find small imperfection to fix with spot putty or sandpaper

[This message has been edited by engine man (edited 01-24-2017).]

PFF
System Bot
motoracer838

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 83
Rate this member

Report this Post01-25-2017 05:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for motoracer838Send a Private Message to motoracer838Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by engine man:

It's funny how i just keep going around and around the car to find small imperfection to fix with spot putty or sandpaper

The hardest part is the detail work, I know you'd love to get color on it, I recommend you wait until the weather gets warmer, get the car in the sun, let it bake. You'd be surprised at how many "pops" you'll get that would ruin the paint... You've come this far, don't get a case of "get it done itus"...

Joe
engine man

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-25-2017 06:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for engine manSend a Private Message to engine manEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
well i have been over it and over it it's time to put paint on it and if i find anything while wet sanding i will fix them but i went around it today with a light and there was nothing more to fix so it is time to paint but thank you for your concerns
engine man

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-27-2017 09:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for engine manSend a Private Message to engine manEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
all sanded and ready for paint i will be painting this weekend
Stubby79

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 58
Rate this member

Report this Post01-27-2017 11:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Stubby79Send a Private Message to Stubby79Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

all sanded and ready for paint i will be painting this weekend

Warm enough in your garage?
engine man

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-27-2017 12:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for engine manSend a Private Message to engine manEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
yup i can make it 80 to 90 if i want it just burns up some propane
Stubby79

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 58
Rate this member

Report this Post01-27-2017 12:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Stubby79Send a Private Message to Stubby79Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

yup i can make it 80 to 90 if i want it just burns up some propane

Excellent. I look forward to seeing how it turns out!
engine man

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-27-2017 10:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for engine manSend a Private Message to engine manEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
got a good tip and it was to re-tape so i get rid of any sanding dust that was on the paper so i have done some of it and will finish saturday morning as i cant spray the car until the afternoon when every one is out of the building as my friend who rents me the shop has a parts store up front and closes at 1
IVANNATINKLE

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-28-2017 02:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IVANNATINKLESend a Private Message to IVANNATINKLEEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
man this thing is getting closer and closer I bed your getting ancy.
engine man

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-28-2017 07:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for engine manSend a Private Message to engine manEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
well it is red now but t need the clear coat put on and i will do that in the morning

engine man

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-29-2017 12:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for engine manSend a Private Message to engine manEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
new pictures of it all panted and cleared i did get some runs but oh well i can sand and buff some time latter

[This message has been edited by engine man (edited 01-29-2017).]

PFF
System Bot
engine man

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-29-2017 09:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for engine manSend a Private Message to engine manEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I am feeling great today as my dream car is coming true i remember my brothers when was young picking on me about kit cars and my cars calling them wonder bugs but now i get the last laugh as this car is coming together i will finally have a exotic looking car even if i had to build it my self and i want to thank all of Pennocks as if there wasn't a place like this i would have a much harder time getting my ideas as i am always looking at threads on the forum for ideas

[This message has been edited by engine man (edited 01-29-2017).]

Reallybig

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-30-2017 01:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ReallybigSend a Private Message to ReallybigEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm sure I speak for many when I say that I have really enjoyed following your journey and look forward to watching where it takes you! Thanks for all your posts so far....
engine man

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-30-2017 12:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for engine manSend a Private Message to engine manEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
thanks i know right now i am holding my head a bit higher with a big grin on my face and i know my ego is giant sized right now
1shot

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-30-2017 02:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 1shotSend a Private Message to 1shotEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Congrats Mark.........It's looking good. That red color must add at least 10-15 mph top speed, right?
engine man

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-30-2017 03:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for engine manSend a Private Message to engine manEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
ya a police officer came in and wrote me a speeding ticket while it was just sitting there lol

[This message has been edited by engine man (edited 01-30-2017).]

Larryinkc

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-30-2017 05:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LarryinkcSend a Private Message to LarryinkcEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Looking really good, I like red cars.
engine man

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-30-2017 10:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for engine manSend a Private Message to engine manEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
today i was putting the front fenders and nose on today but the bolts i thought went to it just went in are there suppose to be spring clip nuts on the chassis ?
doublec4

Feedback score:    (20)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 150
Rate this member

Report this Post01-31-2017 05:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Every once in a while I check back on this thread. Nice to see so much progress and you're almost there!

------------------

Check out my build and my website!
//www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum3/HTML/000100.html
Embrace Racing

Neils88

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 56
Rate this member

Report this Post01-31-2017 06:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Neils88Send a Private Message to Neils88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

ya a police officer came in and wrote me a speeding ticket while it was just sitting there lol

Good thing you didn't get any of those speed stickers put on yet...he'd have arrested you for dangerous driving too...

Looks fantastic! Did you have any issues with dust doing the paint job in your garage? I'm hoping to eventually do the same...but no experience with it yet.
engine man

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-31-2017 06:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for engine manSend a Private Message to engine manEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
yes there is some dust in the clear but t should be fine after i wet sand and buff and thanks you guys for all your support and these are the tail lights they are on the way and i want these wheels

PFF
System Bot
onesexyfiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-31-2017 07:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for onesexyfieroSend a Private Message to onesexyfieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Neils88:

Good thing you didn't get any of those speed stickers put on yet...he'd have arrested you for dangerous driving too...

Looks fantastic! Did you have any issues with dust doing the paint job in your garage? I'm hoping to eventually do the same...but no experience with it yet.

I sprayed my roof in my garage. Cleaned really well and hung plastic to keep dust to a minimum. Did get a little in the paint, but it was minor and came out with very light wet sanding. The hardest part, IMO is getting adequate light to avoid runs. I shot that in single stage, but base-clear is really tough. My father just picked up a HVLP, which is supposed to work a lot better.

Did you use a HVLP or traditional gun, Mark?
engine man

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-31-2017 07:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for engine manSend a Private Message to engine manEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
i used a HVLP and you are right you need really good lights as i had a hard time seeing and i feel that was why i had most of the runs i had and i could have made a spray booth by using pvc pipe for a frame and draped plastic over it but feel i my car will look great once it is sanded and buffed
engine man

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-02-2017 08:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for engine manSend a Private Message to engine manEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
hoping i get the tail lights for the weekend so can make all the brackets to put them in but i think fedex s sitting on them as they departed CT yesterday but have not gotten anyplace by today and i am only about 150 miles away

[This message has been edited by engine man (edited 02-02-2017).]

engine man

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-04-2017 01:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for engine manSend a Private Message to engine manEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
thanks onesexyfiero i always get nice parts from you and the price is always right the sail panels look great

engine man

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-05-2017 01:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for engine manSend a Private Message to engine manEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
A better look at the sail panel and you can see the rear wheels that worked with the old fiero body are way off on the offset

exoticse

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 108
Rate this member

Report this Post02-06-2017 07:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for exoticseSend a Private Message to exoticseEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Engine man did you used to reside in Florida ? My memory is hazy.
engine man

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-06-2017 10:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for engine manSend a Private Message to engine manEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
yes i did live in FL i was over in lakeland and davenport then ended up in west palm beach before moving back to NH
engine man

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-06-2017 06:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for engine manSend a Private Message to engine manEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

engine man

5298 posts
Member since Mar 2006
making crappy rockers into nice rockers i know one thing is that the black really makes the red look great

[This message has been edited by engine man (edited 02-06-2017).]

nosrac

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 51
Rate this member

Report this Post02-07-2017 10:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for nosracSend a Private Message to nosracEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
WoW, I think the offset is ok but you will need to use a 11" or 12" wheel to complete the fat azz look.

[This message has been edited by nosrac (edited 02-07-2017).]

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 55 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20   21   22   23   24   25   26   27   28   29   30   31   32   33   34   35   36   37   38   39   40   41   42   43   44   45   46   47   48   49   50   51   52   53   54   55 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock