Pennock's Fiero Forum
  The Construction Zone
  Audi A8 My Fiero (Page 20)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 55 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20   21   22   23   24   25   26   27   28   29   30   31   32   33   34   35   36   37   38   39   40   41   42   43   44   45   46   47   48   49   50   51   52   53   54   55 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
Audi A8 My Fiero by engine man
Started on: 06-10-2012 12:09 PM
Replies: 2191 (103366 views)
Last post by: MarkS on 12-05-2023 09:49 AM
engine man

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-01-2015 12:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for engine manSend a Private Message to engine manEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I think after i finish this car I might sell it but only to do another with a Pontiac V8 like a stroked 400 to 501 CI or maybe i will just keep this one and build the Pontiac powered one and i will keep the same longitudinal configuration

[This message has been edited by engine man (edited 02-01-2015).]

IP: Logged
engine man

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-04-2015 11:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for engine manSend a Private Message to engine manEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
wondering what you think the Audi V8 car is worth when done all up and running let me know what someone should pay
MarkS

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-04-2015 01:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MarkSSend a Private Message to MarkSEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by engine man:

I think after i finish this car I might sell it but only to do another with a Pontiac V8 like a stroked 400 to 501 CI or maybe i will just keep this one and build the Pontiac powered one and i will keep the same longitudinal configuration

Wow..Pontiac V8 that's ambitious! What type trans are you thinking about? TH425 or 325..something like that? There is a cam belt drive kit out there that might shorten the overall length somewhat. Aluminium Edelbrock or KRE heads will lighten things a little..I will follow closely if you do, I have a 400 on an engine stand in my garage.

BR's,

Mark

------------------
86 SE V6 4 speed
86 SE V6 Auto
2008 G6 GT "Street" Coupe
2005 Buick 3.6 Rendezvous
2001 Olds Silhouette (AKA The Band Van)

engine man

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-04-2015 02:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for engine manSend a Private Message to engine manEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
i would use a ZF6hp26 from a Audi and a US shift trans controller . First i need to finish this to be a driver then sell it to fund the next project

[This message has been edited by engine man (edited 02-04-2015).]

dratts

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 119
Rate this member

Report this Post02-04-2015 07:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for drattsSend a Private Message to drattsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
So it's the journey and not arriving that you enjoy?
engine man

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-04-2015 07:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for engine manSend a Private Message to engine manEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I do like to drive them but it's more fun to try and figure it all out
engine man

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-04-2015 08:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for engine manSend a Private Message to engine manEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

engine man

5298 posts
Member since Mar 2006
i just looked up the ZF6HP26 has a input torque rating of 443 FT LB of torque that is right there with the THM400 from GM
engine man

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-08-2015 08:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for engine manSend a Private Message to engine manEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
any one know the length from the Bellhousing surface to the front of the cylinder head or block of a Pontiac V8 ?
Will

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 237
Rate this member

Report this Post02-09-2015 10:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
For the cost of building a Poncho to decent power, you could likely afford the new Audi twin turbo V8 that makes 600+...
engine man

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-10-2015 08:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for engine manSend a Private Message to engine manEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I am sure that is true Will but it is not all about the power some times plus if i want power i can put a turbo on the Pontiac

[This message has been edited by engine man (edited 02-10-2015).]

engine man

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-12-2015 08:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for engine manSend a Private Message to engine manEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Winter is to long i just keep thinking of builds i would love to do
PFF
System Bot
engine man

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-13-2015 10:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for engine manSend a Private Message to engine manEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
had fun the last 2 day as i took the engine out of a 2008 Subaru put new head gaskets and timing belt i really enjoyed doing it it took me longer than most but it was my first time doing a Subaru i like how simple they are to work on
Will

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-13-2015 11:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

my first time doing a Subaru i like how simple they are to work on

LOL WUT?

I've done an engine-in head gasket job on a Subaru... NOT my definition of easy to work on, although other than the engine being itself complicated and a tight fit between the frame rails, the cars themselves are simple.

Here's a 6 cylinder rebuild and swap into a Subaru: http://www.corner-carvers.c...owthread.php?t=31494

Also NOT easy to work on...
engine man

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-14-2015 12:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for engine manSend a Private Message to engine manEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Will that Subaru is not hard to work on compared to allot of cars i have worked on there is room for me to get my hands on the bolts try changing a alternator on a 2000 Chrysler Sebring or change a starter on a Honda element the Honda you have to take off the intake
Will

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-14-2015 09:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I've done a torque converter on 2002 A6 3.0 (C5 body). I know what hard to access is...
engine man

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-14-2015 10:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for engine manSend a Private Message to engine manEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I just dint find it that hard but i pulled the engine and put it on a stand it took me 17 hours but i know i could cut that down to about 12 hours out repair and back in
zkhennings

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-16-2015 01:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for zkhenningsSend a Private Message to zkhenningsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My WRX is fun to work on, everything is designed to come apart, not just to go together on the assembly line, a lot of thought went into that design.
dobey

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 371
User Banned

Report this Post02-16-2015 01:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by zkhennings:

My WRX is fun to work on, everything is designed to come apart, not just to go together on the assembly line, a lot of thought went into that design.

It's designed to go together easily on an assembly line. That also just makes it easy to take things apart as well, and if you're changing a timing belt, head gasket, etc… you're dropping the engine out.

I've been pondering getting another car as a daily driver, so I don't have to drive my truck that only gets ~13-14MPG around town all the time, and have been looking at three cars mainly: Subaru Legacy, BMW M3, and Lexus IS 300. The IS 300 is by far the easiest and cheapest to work on out of all three.

Of all the cars I've ever owned, my Honda del Sol is probably the easiest to work on. The whole interior in it, except for the dash, can be taken out in about 30 minutes, including seats and carpet. The head gasket can be replaced in about 2 hours in a parking lot if you've got the tools on hand. The only really annoying thing on it is the brakes, due to it being an early model of ABS, which requires special tools and a painful bleed procedure.
engine man

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-20-2015 10:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for engine manSend a Private Message to engine manEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
well they are calling for more snow like a foot and the car is really buried and i am ready to have some fun working on it and i decided to not sell it but also build another few . I have now had my shop open for 11 months and thing's seem to be going good and looks like i will make it so i am pretty happy
engine man

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-27-2015 09:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for engine manSend a Private Message to engine manEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just looked at the 10 day forecast looks like 1 day it is going to be warm enough to melt some snow and by now most of the days are above freezing but it is 6 out right now and calling for -12 tonight .It's time to warm up and get the toys out and play
zkhennings

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-27-2015 02:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for zkhenningsSend a Private Message to zkhenningsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by dobey:

It's designed to go together easily on an assembly line. That also just makes it easy to take things apart as well, and if you're changing a timing belt, head gasket, etc… you're dropping the engine out.

I've been pondering getting another car as a daily driver, so I don't have to drive my truck that only gets ~13-14MPG around town all the time, and have been looking at three cars mainly: Subaru Legacy, BMW M3, and Lexus IS 300. The IS 300 is by far the easiest and cheapest to work on out of all three.

Of all the cars I've ever owned, my Honda del Sol is probably the easiest to work on. The whole interior in it, except for the dash, can be taken out in about 30 minutes, including seats and carpet. The head gasket can be replaced in about 2 hours in a parking lot if you've got the tools on hand. The only really annoying thing on it is the brakes, due to it being an early model of ABS, which requires special tools and a painful bleed procedure.

It's really easy to do the timing belt in the car. Headgaskets are more annoying since you have to be under the car, but no need to take the engine out. And the rest of the car is so clever. A couple screws and suddenly the interior trim pops out real easy. I took the cluster apart the other day and they super oversize all the snap features so they are both easy to undo without tools, as well as they do not break and get as brittle over time. I have worked on lots of car brands, and never have I worked on a car where less stuff breaks as it comes apart than the Subaru.

Wheel bearings suck to replace however.

[This message has been edited by zkhennings (edited 02-27-2015).]

PFF
System Bot
engine man

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-27-2015 09:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for engine manSend a Private Message to engine manEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I had to go watch my video now i really want to get going
dobey

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post02-28-2015 01:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by zkhennings:
It's really easy to do the timing belt in the car. Headgaskets are more annoying since you have to be under the car, but no need to take the engine out. And the rest of the car is so clever. A couple screws and suddenly the interior trim pops out real easy. I took the cluster apart the other day and they super oversize all the snap features so they are both easy to undo without tools, as well as they do not break and get as brittle over time. I have worked on lots of car brands, and never have I worked on a car where less stuff breaks as it comes apart than the Subaru.

Wheel bearings suck to replace however.

Come back in another 30 years and let me know how brittle that plastic hasn't become. All plastic will dry out and become brittle over time.

Easy is also a very relative term. It may be easy to do, but it's still quite a lot of work to replace a timing blet on a Subaru.

Draining the radiator so you can pull the front bumper off to access the front of the engine might be relatively easy, but it's a lot of work, is rather time consuming, and does require replacing the drained coolant.
engine man

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-28-2015 04:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for engine manSend a Private Message to engine manEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I am sure it seems like allot of work to some but no matter what i am working on for a car i love it , it is better then running a cash register ! sure i get dirty even tired and upset but in the end it is fun for me

[This message has been edited by engine man (edited 02-28-2015).]

engine man

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-02-2015 07:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for engine manSend a Private Message to engine manEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have been working on a 72 Mercedes 350SL in the shop all i can say is Wow mice can really do allot of damage
engine man

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-03-2015 07:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for engine manSend a Private Message to engine manEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Have any of you used Dakota Digital speedometer signal corrector ? was it easy to use did it work good pleas let me know
dobey

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post03-03-2015 09:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Have any of you used Dakota Digital speedometer signal corrector ? was it easy to use did it work good pleas let me know

All of the F40 swaps with Archie's kit are using one. Once you get it set right it should work well, but they can take a bit of tweaking to get the signals matched right.

edit: I said LS3 before, but it's the F40 kit where it matters. If you use the stock Fiero trans, the speedo will just work, but I think you'll need the Dakota device to get the signal right for the ECM.

[This message has been edited by dobey (edited 03-04-2015).]

engine man

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-03-2015 09:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for engine manSend a Private Message to engine manEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I will have to order 1 and i need to take the tach and do the mod to get that to read correct
engine man

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-07-2015 09:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for engine manSend a Private Message to engine manEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
i have ordered what i need for the speedometer and it looks like we are starting to warm up so i think in a few weeks i will be back running the car . i am thinking i might need some resonator tips to quiet it down some more how well do the Corvette tips work?
engine man

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-09-2015 05:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for engine manSend a Private Message to engine manEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
moved the snow of the top i plan on driving by next week at the latest
engine man

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-10-2015 03:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for engine manSend a Private Message to engine manEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
shoveled the snow around the car today so she is ready to come out maybe tomorrow at lunch i can drag it out and fire it up . the speedometer recalibration box came in today and i just ordered some resonator exhaust tips to help i hope
PFF
System Bot
engine man

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-12-2015 09:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for engine manSend a Private Message to engine manEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well things have been slow the last 2 days so i took the Fiero in and found my mat sensor was not working due to the wires got melted so i repaired them and calibrated it so now it reads correct . i put the blower up on it just to see how it's going to look it made me smile but i wont install that till late summer
engine man

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-13-2015 05:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for engine manSend a Private Message to engine manEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Looking for some info i need the dimensions to the heater blower fan i need just the cage info
engine man

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-13-2015 06:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for engine manSend a Private Message to engine manEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

engine man

5298 posts
Member since Mar 2006
i will be putting these exhaust tips on they have resonators
DisplacementIsKing

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-13-2015 07:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DisplacementIsKingSend a Private Message to DisplacementIsKingEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just did a quick scan of the whole forum, nice work with the swap. I remember reading a VW TDI swap that was sweet!
engine man

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-13-2015 08:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for engine manSend a Private Message to engine manEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
thanks it is a work in progress
engine man

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-14-2015 04:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for engine manSend a Private Message to engine manEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
today i checked timing and it was dead on i dint need to adjust it 1 degree this is due to finding TDC and marking it . i put the exhaust tips on and i still need to do a bit of adjustment so they are where they will look good .
engine man

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-15-2015 08:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for engine manSend a Private Message to engine manEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Need some help i am looking at the VSS wires on the C203 yellow is high purple is low and there is a vss ground i am trying to figure out what go's where on the Dakota digital and what i really need to know is the output wire to the speedometer
Tweeder

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-17-2015 02:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TweederSend a Private Message to TweederEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

i will be putting these exhaust tips on they have resonators

Any further info on those tips?

------------------
86 SE Convertible 3800sc 4t65e HD(2002), Gen V, 3.3 pulley, SD headers

engine man

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-17-2015 05:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for engine manSend a Private Message to engine manEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
not sure what type of info you are looking for on the tips but they are on the car and need a bit of adjustment . i bought this 1x Spartan Lambda Controller 2 - Spartan Lambda Controller with LSU 4.9 Wideband O2 sensor what adjustment's are needed to the megasquirt other than wideband is there calibration needed
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 55 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20   21   22   23   24   25   26   27   28   29   30   31   32   33   34   35   36   37   38   39   40   41   42   43   44   45   46   47   48   49   50   51   52   53   54   55 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock