Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat
  $$$$$$$$$$$$$ WOW! More updates on Fiero GT Tail light lens!!!! $$$$$$$$$$$$$$ (Page 7)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 29 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20   21   22   23   24   25   26   27   28   29 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
$$$$$$$$$$$$$ WOW! More updates on Fiero GT Tail light lens!!!! $$$$$$$$$$$$$$ by kgoodyear
Started on: 05-10-2018 07:33 PM
Replies: 1147 (65795 views)
Last post by: kgoodyear on 10-17-2022 03:55 PM
kgoodyear

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-30-2018 09:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for kgoodyearSend a Private Message to kgoodyearEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Jakesdads86gt:

Hi All, been a very long time since I've posted anything here, I do lurk from time to time though. This lens project really caught my eye. Just wanted to thank kgoodyear for following through to the end. The quality looks excellent.

I am definitely interested in a set, but I would also like to know a little more about the tinted version before I jump in, I believe Raydar asked a few posts up. How tinted is tinted?

This has been one of the more difficult questions to answer. .......George i believe showed the 50 shades of gray in a previous post. I believe our choice is #38. I have NO idea if it is going to be just right, too dark or too light.

------------------
Goody

The beauty of a solution lies in its simplicity

IP: Logged
tshark

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 68
Rate this member

Report this Post08-30-2018 09:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tsharkSend a Private Message to tsharkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I handled the lenses. I don't know enough about this for handling to be helpful in this area.
kgoodyear

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-03-2018 04:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for kgoodyearSend a Private Message to kgoodyearEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

------------------
Goody

[This message has been edited by kgoodyear (edited 09-03-2018).]

mptighe

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 122
Rate this member

Report this Post09-03-2018 05:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mptigheSend a Private Message to mptigheEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Quite honestly dropping the tinted lenses is probably the wisest choice. It’s more of a liability than you need, as the distributor. If someone decides to order a tinted set then gets pulled over, it can blow back on you. You’re already assuming a fairly large risk as it is.
kgoodyear

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-03-2018 05:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for kgoodyearSend a Private Message to kgoodyearEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by mptighe:

Quite honestly dropping the tinted lenses is probably the wisest choice. It’s more of a liability than you need, as the distributor. If someone decides to order a tinted set then gets pulled over, it can blow back on you. You’re already assuming a fairly large risk as it is.

Thank you for your input. Everyday I learn more and more and inevitably that leads to more and more refinement in our business practices.

------------------
Goody

viperine

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-03-2018 11:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for viperineSend a Private Message to viperineEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
On the tint issue, I would suggest clinging to familiarity in terms of current aftermarket offerings.

I think a fair tint would be one that is close to the current tinted quarter windows. I like being even, across the car, when I can.

There are likely a lot of arguments to "well, not all of us used those windows".

But a good many of us have purchased them, regardless, both tinted and clear alike. I own a set of each from the same maker, via the fiero store.
Thunderstruck GT

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 99
Rate this member

Report this Post09-04-2018 08:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Thunderstruck GTSend a Private Message to Thunderstruck GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by kgoodyear:

Smart move. Too many SKU's means too much inventory. Too much inventory means too much overhead. Stock what moves fast. A handfull of tinted fans will not pay the bills and that stock will be a slow mover compared to the OEM style.

Stay on course and keep up the great work. You're doing a fine job.
kgoodyear

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-04-2018 09:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for kgoodyearSend a Private Message to kgoodyearEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Thunderstruck GT:

Smart move. Too many SKU's means too much inventory. Too much inventory means too much overhead. Stock what moves fast. A handfull of tinted fans will not pay the bills and that stock will be a slow mover compared to the OEM style.

Stay on course and keep up the great work. You're doing a fine job.

Thanks for the support Thunder. It means a lot.

------------------
Goody

Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post09-04-2018 09:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Well... That's an unwelcome development.

kgoodyear

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-05-2018 10:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for kgoodyearSend a Private Message to kgoodyearEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Raydar:

Well... That's an unwelcome development.

Yes it is a bummer but for numerous business reasons we thought there was just too much exposure especially when you can buy a tinting product that you can use to get just the tint you want.
da.slyboy

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-05-2018 03:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for da.slyboySend a Private Message to da.slyboyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm still happy that there is the option of custom decoration for the lenses. That still allows for a ton of options for people to choose and maybe even a way to obtain a tint through that method (though I'm not certain on how that process works).
PFF
System Bot
kgoodyear

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-05-2018 04:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for kgoodyearSend a Private Message to kgoodyearEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by da.slyboy:

I'm still happy that there is the option of custom decoration for the lenses. That still allows for a ton of options for people to choose and maybe even a way to obtain a tint through that method (though I'm not certain on how that process works).

Yes, there are certainly a lot of options but WE or the custom decorator can't tint it. You will have to do it yourself.

------------------
Goody

kgoodyear

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-05-2018 04:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for kgoodyearSend a Private Message to kgoodyearEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

kgoodyear

808 posts
Member since Apr 2014

------------------
Goody

JohnWPB

Feedback score:    (21)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 144
Rate this member

Report this Post09-06-2018 03:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JohnWPBClick Here to visit JohnWPB's HomePageSend a Private Message to JohnWPBEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by tshark:

Is the decoration bonded to the lens, or just painted on?

I do NOT, by any means know how it is done. From handling the lenses though, it certainly does not appear to be any type of paint. It seemed like it was about an 1/8th of an inch thick, and was more like a hard plastic to the touch, with a rough surface. Again, I do not know anything for certain, these are just my observations.

[This message has been edited by JohnWPB (edited 09-06-2018).]

Danyel

Feedback score:    (91)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 171
Rate this member

Report this Post09-07-2018 12:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DanyelClick Here to visit Danyel's HomePageSend a Private Message to DanyelEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hello
I need to get a hold of the OP by phone for a business deal for these lenses.. please PM me with contact info.

Greatest regards
Danyel

------------------

Black Widow Build Thread 2007 - 2014 Tylers Toy
My Low Profile Buckets for sale My LED Sidemarkers for sale

JohnWPB

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-07-2018 09:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JohnWPBClick Here to visit JohnWPB's HomePageSend a Private Message to JohnWPBEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Danyel:

Hello
I need to get a hold of the OP by phone for a business deal for these lenses.. please PM me with contact info.

Greatest regards
Danyel

Danyel, just PM the OP author. He monitors his PM's and email closely. As well as watches this thread close as well.....

kgoodyear

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-08-2018 03:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for kgoodyearSend a Private Message to kgoodyearEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ok, so i have been doing impact testing. I'll let you know how we did this but just for fun I thought i would do the soccer mom test on one of the lenses we were usig for testing

https://youtu.be/zx7-bfBoBiI

I don't think you have to worry about breaking these! sometime next week I'll show you the other tests

------------------
Goody

Fiero Thomas

Feedback score:    (170)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 125
Rate this member

Report this Post09-08-2018 03:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero ThomasSend a Private Message to Fiero ThomasEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just embedding it for you. They seam very sturdy for sure after seeing this.

------------------
1987 Fiero GT T-Top
2012 Kia Forte Koup
2017 Kia Forte S

FieroNews
FieroNews Spare Tire Cover
FieroNews Windshield Banners
FieroNews Hoodies and T-Shirts

[This message has been edited by Fiero Thomas (edited 09-08-2018).]

Danyel

Feedback score:    (91)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 171
Rate this member

Report this Post09-08-2018 04:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DanyelClick Here to visit Danyel's HomePageSend a Private Message to DanyelEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

************* CRINGING ************ man those are tough lenses ... looks top notch quality too !!!

GREAT JOB !!!!

Danyel

------------------

Black Widow Build Thread 2007 - 2014 Tylers Toy
My Low Profile Buckets for sale My LED Sidemarkers for sale

Fiero Vice

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post09-08-2018 09:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero ViceSend a Private Message to Fiero ViceEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Goody,

Thanks for the impact test video. Wow! Looks great! Can't wait to get my hands on those.

That's why you see hoarders are now trying to dump those OEM NOS lens in a hurry before the price drops.

Saw it with my own eyes at the 35th and I cannot thank you enough for making this product a reality for the Fiero community.

There are people who argued that you cannot replace those OEM NOS ones. In my opinion, I'd rather have the aftermarket ones cuz it's stronger at a better price that will not leave you worried if you leave your Fiero in a parking lot while getting few items.

[This message has been edited by Fiero Vice (edited 09-08-2018).]

kgoodyear

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-09-2018 09:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for kgoodyearSend a Private Message to kgoodyearEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm glad you are all enjoying the video. Tell your friends. I'll be glad to get this information back to .......George and he will probably put together a nice graphic with other pictures.

Let me know if you have any questions.

------------------
Goody

PFF
System Bot
Shho13

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-09-2018 08:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Shho13Send a Private Message to Shho13Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Jesus, those things are really tough! I get nervous that old lenses will crack just by taking a picture of them haha

------------------
"Discord"
Red 1988 GT under restoration!

Let's Go Mets!

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Easy8

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-09-2018 09:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Easy8Send a Private Message to Easy8Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Imagine the horror and shock this would have caused people on here not 6 months ago... to see some one take a hammer to a good GT tail light. People would call for your head.

And I will add.... damn those are tough.
kgoodyear

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-11-2018 12:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for kgoodyearSend a Private Message to kgoodyearEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

------------------
Goody

kgoodyear

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-11-2018 12:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for kgoodyearSend a Private Message to kgoodyearEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

kgoodyear

808 posts
Member since Apr 2014

------------------
Goody

[This message has been edited by kgoodyear (edited 09-11-2018).]

JohnWPB

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-11-2018 09:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JohnWPBClick Here to visit JohnWPB's HomePageSend a Private Message to JohnWPBEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Keith sent me this video this afternoon and asked me to upload it for him.

Holy Crap! I was not sure what I was seeing, while I was hearing the jack clinking. At the end of the video it becomes quite apparent what is happening! That is BEYOND Impressive!!!! And to think, when I was checking them out, I was handling them SOOOooooo gently, scared to break them! LOL!

tshark

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-11-2018 09:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tsharkSend a Private Message to tsharkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by JohnWPB:
That is BEYOND Impressive!!!! And to think, when I was checking them out, I was handling them SOOOooooo gently, scared to break them! LOL!

Me, too. Holy cow!

Probably 100...what?

[This message has been edited by tshark (edited 09-11-2018).]

JohnWPB

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-11-2018 11:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JohnWPBClick Here to visit JohnWPB's HomePageSend a Private Message to JohnWPBEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ok folks, I finally got some time to finish editing the videos together, align the audio track from the audio recording, and do some overlays and such.

Hopefully this will answer a lot of questions, and explain a lot about the process!

kgoodyear

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-12-2018 09:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for kgoodyearSend a Private Message to kgoodyearEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by JohnWPB:

Ok folks, I finally got some time to finish editing the videos together, align the audio track from the audio recording, and do some overlays and such.

Hopefully this will answer a lot of questions, and explain a lot about the process!

Thanks John for the Video . What a great job you did on it!

------------------
Goody

railshot

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-12-2018 10:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for railshotClick Here to visit railshot's HomePageSend a Private Message to railshotEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Excellent video and explanation of the process you guys had to go through to get to this point!

Give George some Wisconsin cheese for me.

Dave
kgoodyear

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-12-2018 10:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for kgoodyearSend a Private Message to kgoodyearEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
TESTING PROTOCOL

We mainly did four planed tests and three ad hoc tests. Though they may have been quite crude they were functional.

Bonding of the decoration to the plastic. We took one of the lenses that had a decoration on it we thought was our best solution. I took a wooden tongue depressor and vigorously rubbed it across the full surface of a letter. I believe I rubbed it across the "A" and tried to hit as many edges as I could. At no time was there any hint of separation. Conclusion: I would like to run this test again using a different instrument and see just what I have to do to make it fail.

What we defined as a failure: The lens shows any signs of cracking or outright breaking.

Drop test: Just like it sounds, we took the lens and dropped it three times each on all six sides of the lens from three and six feet. We used a step ladder and attached a tape measure to it so we could accurately repeat the test. With each drop, we recorded any damage save for scratches and rash marks from hitting the cement floor. Conclusion: After dropping the SAME lens 32 times we finally had a failure.

Controlled impact test: New lens. Projectiles dropped through tube to aim at target. From 4 and six feet we drop three weights: .25, .35 and .5. The impact surface area was estimated to be somewhat equal.
Conclusion: All the drops produced no failure save for abrasions
comments: I would like to to have continued with more and more weight until failure but this did not seem practical in a real life situation

Tumble test: from three and six feet. Take a lens and randomly spin it so it can land on any surface or edge. Do this three times from three feet and six feet.
Results: The lens did not break.
Conclusion: Lens easy absorbed all impact forces

AD HOC TESTS:

AD HOC test 1: Angry spouse test: Throw the lens across the shop on the cement floor: I tossed the lens estimated 10 feet.

Results: I did not see any damage that probably wasn't there before.
Conclusion: tossing the lens this distance did no damage. Spouse could throw lens in anger and it would probably not break.
Comments: I do not have an angry spouse therefore I could not conclude how far and hard the lenses could have been thrown. I would assume at some point they would reach terminal velocity.

AD HOC test 2: Bash test: Take a typical hammer and break the lens

Results: I hit the lens in various places where there I believed would be extra stress and save for abrasion scratches from the hammer and the expected damage to the decoration, there was no damage
Conclusion: You can smack your lenses with a typical household hammer and they won't break.
Comments: I was very confident in the toughness of the lens as I am not wearing safety glasses. If you do choose to smack your own lenses, there may leave behind abrasions from the hammer. Keep in mind, I sell my lenses in pairs.

AD HOC test 3: Arbor press: Break a lens using an arbor press the arbor press has a contact area of 1.25^2 =1.5625 sq inches

We started by placing a scale under the lens and and applied pressure. The scale maxed out at 50 pounds with no difficulty. We next removed the scale and continued to apply additional pressure.
Results: The pressing of the arbor caused the sides to splay out but never failed.
Conclusion: The lens is one tough lens and you will probably see other damages to other parts of the car before you see damage to the lens

[This message has been edited by kgoodyear (edited 09-12-2018).]

PFF
System Bot
Shho13

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-12-2018 12:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Shho13Send a Private Message to Shho13Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Very impressive! True tests of resiliency, especially the angry wife test! 😂🤣

------------------
"Discord"
Red 1988 GT under restoration!

Let's Go Mets!

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

railshot

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-12-2018 06:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for railshotClick Here to visit railshot's HomePageSend a Private Message to railshotEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Heheheh, my grandma could swing a hammer better than that!

Actually, I think these tests far exceed what a stock lens could take, so congratulations on these results for sure!

How long until a finalized product will be available?
Curious minds want to know......
kgoodyear

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-12-2018 07:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for kgoodyearSend a Private Message to kgoodyearEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by railshot:

Heheheh, my grandma could swing a hammer better than that!

Actually, I think these tests far exceed what a stock lens could take, so congratulations on these results for sure!

How long until a finalized product will be available?
Curious minds want to know......

I knew your grandma and you are right! She could sink a railroad spike in three swings! She was a husky woman and a good kisser too!

We still have a little ways to go. I have to approve T2s before we can go on to our next step. We have got the decoration finally settled in and currently they are setting up shop. They have to shoot them and palletize them. We will probably fly the pre order quantity to The States first so we can get these decorated and on their way. I have been telling people late fall but man, I gotta tell ya, that is just a guess. But lets have a reality check here. We all know something of this size can get snagged. .......George and The Team have been greasing the wheels. The best I can do is tell you all to keep an eye on the thread and either .......George or I will post progress reports as we can.

[This message has been edited by kgoodyear (edited 09-12-2018).]

tshark

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-12-2018 08:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tsharkSend a Private Message to tsharkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
"palatalize"?

Are you testing them with a sonic boom, or something?
kgoodyear

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-12-2018 08:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for kgoodyearSend a Private Message to kgoodyearEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by tshark:

"palatalize"?

Are you testing them with a sonic boom, or something?

palletize,palletize,palletize

BUT.....I hadn't thought about that!
railshot

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-12-2018 09:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for railshotClick Here to visit railshot's HomePageSend a Private Message to railshotEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I knew your grandma and you are right! She could sink a railroad spike in three swings! She was a husky woman and a good kisser too!

We still have a little ways to go. I have to approve T2s before we can go on to our next step. We have got the decoration finally settled in and currently they are setting up shop. They have to shoot them and palletize them. We will probably fly the pre order quantity to The States first so we can get these decorated and on their way. I have been telling people late fall but man, I gotta tell ya, that is just a guess. But lets have a reality check here. We all know something of this size can get snagged. .......George and The Team have been greasing the wheels. The best I can do is tell you all to keep an eye on the thread and either .......George or I will post progress reports as we can.

Dang, you did know my grandma dintcha!

Keep up the good work, we are all waiting with baited breath (ok, beer and brat breath on my part). LOL
fierobear

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 383
Rate this member

Report this Post09-13-2018 04:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierobearSend a Private Message to fierobearEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If these work out, I’d be interested in 3 sets
vitog44

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-13-2018 04:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for vitog44Send a Private Message to vitog44Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
When the lenses are ready, will you contact those who have already placed email orders and are on waiting list or should we be on the lookout for further instructions?
kgoodyear

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-13-2018 04:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for kgoodyearSend a Private Message to kgoodyearEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fierobear:

If these work out, I’d be interested in 3 sets

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 29 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20   21   22   23   24   25   26   27   28   29 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock