Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat
  $$$$$$$$$$$$$ WOW! More updates on Fiero GT Tail light lens!!!! $$$$$$$$$$$$$$ (Page 12)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 29 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20   21   22   23   24   25   26   27   28   29 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
$$$$$$$$$$$$$ WOW! More updates on Fiero GT Tail light lens!!!! $$$$$$$$$$$$$$ by kgoodyear
Started on: 05-10-2018 07:33 PM
Replies: 1147 (65806 views)
Last post by: kgoodyear on 10-17-2022 03:55 PM
kgoodyear

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-02-2019 05:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for kgoodyearSend a Private Message to kgoodyearEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Easy8:

I can completly understand why the molds can not be kept by you. However seeing how George has gone through all the headaches of dealing with that fat cat GM, has he looked into selling the molds to GM. Let the fat cat have the certififed product to make in another 5 or so years if the demand arises again. Gm should be able to ship and store (plus have the machines to use) thesre molds with out missing a beat. In the future they can make the money from this endeavor at an extreamly low start up cost and George can make some pennies for his cheese fund at the end. Just a though from the peanut gallery.

If it were up to ......George he would gladly barter the tool for cheese and a bottle of what I think he calls Caloola.

This is a very interesting observation. Let me say that in dealing with GM I have been very frustrated at times but over the long haul they have been accommodating and recently a bit more flexible. I understand where GM is coming from and I would protect my copyrights just as hartilly as they. Keep in mind, GM "disposed" of the tools quite some time ago because it was not economical for them to keep it. Actually, it is my belief GM never had the tool and the sale of the tool to someone else may have been independent of GM. They had no idea (then) that the Fiero would have a following it has today. This tool is the size of a small apartment sized refrigerator (not those like those little ones either. Storing this would be on the scale of the Arc of the Covenant being stored in a warehouse in an Indiana Jones movie. It is huge and made of steel--that rusts.

In my opinion "GM" did not make these lenses but a group that called themselves "Guide" did. In the end, you wouldn't want another set of lenses like the OEM as the same problem would happen in a few years. Our solution seemed obvious but would not be compatible with the overmolding of the OEM tool. Having the original tools wouldn't have been a good solution.

Make no mistake about it, if someone or group would be interested in purchasing the tool (not the license) I would gladly entertain the idea. However, whoever were to buy it would have to think very seriously about the feasibility of buying it because I'm need to milk it for all it is worth before I shut down the project. I've also explored the idea of using the same tool and have it modified for lenses for the coupe.

GM is quite interested in me taking on other projects and now that we (GM,.......George and I) are figuring out how to do this the next project will be simpler and faster and therefore cheaper.

What would be wizer would be after the run, have a bunch of them shot and decorated and put in storage. I won't do this because of the capital that would be tied up in the inventory....but it would be an option.

------------------
Goody

The beauty of a solution lies in its simplicity

IP: Logged
David Hambleton

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-02-2019 10:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for David HambletonSend a Private Message to David HambletonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Easy8:

Gm should be able to ship and store (plus have the machines to use) thesre molds with out missing a beat. In the future they can make the money from this endeavor at an extreamly low start up cost .

Has GM ever owned a plastics manufacturing facility for lenses? I would guess that stuff is all out-sourced and any tooling would have to be warehoused by a supplier in the uncertain hope of future orders.

olejoedad

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post03-03-2019 11:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Guide Lamp had a facility in Anderson Indiana that made all kinds of lighting products for GM.
I don't know if the Fiero lights were made there or not.
I used to have contacts there, but as we have all aged, those contacts have dried up.
kgoodyear

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-03-2019 12:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for kgoodyearSend a Private Message to kgoodyearEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by olejoedad:

Guide Lamp had a facility in Anderson Indiana that made all kinds of lighting products for GM.
I used to have contacts there, but as we have all aged, those contacts have dried up.

This is great information! I could not find information on Guide. Thanks for the great tip.
ltlgt88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-03-2019 02:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ltlgt88Send a Private Message to ltlgt88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Are you going to keep all the computer work and CAD drawings? Or could those be up for sale if someone wanted to buy and make a new tool in 10/20 years if they wanted?
kgoodyear

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-03-2019 03:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for kgoodyearSend a Private Message to kgoodyearEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by ltlgt88:

Are you going to keep all the computer work and CAD drawings? Or could those be up for sale if someone wanted to buy and make a new tool in 10/20 years if they wanted?

Great question!

I have the 3d cad model work but I'm not sure I understand how it works. I think they have to take the cad drawings and convert it over into something the cam machine understands. I probably won't be around in 10 or 20 years and wonder how many cars (needing tail light lenses) would be around in that time as well. Knowing how costs and such will increase over the years I find it more and more unlikely the idea of selling new ones 10-20 years from now to not be a wise business decision. Again, it would be far wiser to have a batch run and put in storage and when those are gone, well they are gone.

At the same time I am expecting a two-year run on the project if one were expecting to acquire another GT in their future I would suggest purchasing more than one set. While I have no obligation to lock the price in at an estimated $400 in all likelihood that is what they will sell for. Having an extra set could be the solution for a hedge on the future needs of lens covers.
wgpierce

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-03-2019 06:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for wgpierceSend a Private Message to wgpierceEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by kgoodyear:

At the same time I am expecting a two-year run on the project if one were expecting to acquire another GT in their future I would suggest purchasing more than one set. While I have no obligation to lock the price in at an estimated $400 in all likelihood that is what they will sell for. Having an extra set could be the solution for a hedge on the future needs of lens covers.

Can those on the list who already indicated they'd order one, have two or 10 when you start collecting $??

olejoedad

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-03-2019 08:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Some info about Guide Lamp Division of General Motors.....

http://www.charleswbullock.com/Guide/History.html

Mr. Bullock has several articles on the company.
kgoodyear

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-03-2019 09:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for kgoodyearSend a Private Message to kgoodyearEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by wgpierce:
Can those on the list who already indicated they'd order one, have two or 10 when you start collecting $??

Our desire is to fill as many Frugal Fiero Fans' orders as we can at the beginning starting with those on the preorder list.
kgoodyear

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-03-2019 09:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for kgoodyearSend a Private Message to kgoodyearEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

kgoodyear

808 posts
Member since Apr 2014

Some info about Guide Lamp Division of General Motors.....

http://www.charleswbullock.com/Guide/History.html

Mr. Bullock has several articles on the company.

This is fantastic! thanks!
mrfred8

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-03-2019 11:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mrfred8Click Here to visit mrfred8's HomePageSend a Private Message to mrfred8Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Guide Lamp closed in 2007
PFF
System Bot
kgoodyear

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-04-2019 09:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for kgoodyearSend a Private Message to kgoodyearEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by mrfred8:

This is all great information. Other than the obvious, I wonder why they closed?
steve308

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 57
Rate this member

Report this Post03-04-2019 01:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for steve308Send a Private Message to steve308Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

This is all great information. Other than the obvious, I wonder why they closed?

Probably went "Off Shore" or south of the border for production to save a dollar or two.
FieroMontreal

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-06-2019 10:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroMontrealSend a Private Message to FieroMontrealEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by mrfred8:

Was that before or after the Fiero Store's reproduction lamps were made and sold?

Could it be that GUIDE was still producing the lamps for the Fiero store and the tool was lost when Guide closed shop? I remember reading that they had obtained the tool from the maker themselves.
kgoodyear

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-06-2019 11:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for kgoodyearSend a Private Message to kgoodyearEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by FieroMontreal:

Was that before or after the Fiero Store's reproduction lamps were made and sold?

Could it be that GUIDE was still producing the lamps for the Fiero store and the tool was lost when Guide closed shop? I remember reading that they had obtained the tool from the maker themselves.

This seems feasible.
fierogt28

Feedback score:    (14)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-06-2019 08:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierogt28Send a Private Message to fierogt28Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by FieroMontreal:

They started offering them (TFS) around this time (2007) but the GM original tooling was lost around 2010-2011 IIRC.

------------------
fierogt28

88 GT, Loaded, 5-speed.
88 GT, 5-speed. Beechwood interior, All original.

Blowerwhine

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-15-2019 12:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BlowerwhineSend a Private Message to BlowerwhineEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

This seems feasible.

Soooooo.... Is this happening or no?
kgoodyear

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-15-2019 07:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for kgoodyearSend a Private Message to kgoodyearEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Blowerwhine:

Soooooo.... Is this happening or no?

Is WHAT happening?
JohnWPB

Feedback score:    (21)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 144
Rate this member

Report this Post03-15-2019 11:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JohnWPBClick Here to visit JohnWPB's HomePageSend a Private Message to JohnWPBEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

.......George
olejoedad

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-16-2019 12:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
👍🏼👍🏼

anaverin

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-16-2019 02:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for anaverinSend a Private Message to anaverinEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
ohhhhhhhhh jeez guys!

------------------
86 SE FASTBACK T-TOPS
88 FORMULA 4.9
87 GT MEDIUM RED METALLIC stockish

EMAIL : Anaverin@gmail.com

PFF
System Bot
87_FieroGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-16-2019 05:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 87_FieroGTSend a Private Message to 87_FieroGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

To place a preorder, (no down payment or obligation),

1) Send email to keith.goodyear@bellyacrestudios.com
2) Select the description and the quantity.
- Clear no decoration
- Clear decorated (this is like the OEM)
- Custom decorated Clear
3) Type your name
4) Shipping address
5) phone number
Once I receive your order I’ll put you in the pre order queue and will reply to you in the same email.
Lenses are sold only in pairs. We estimate the cost to be $400 USD + shipping and handling + applicable taxes.
It is difficult to be able to say when they will be ready as the product must be perfect and certain critical business practices must be in place to protect you, me and my investments.
I regularly post progress reports and answers to questions on the PFF Forum: https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/098250.html
Once they are ready for distribution we will notify you.
Here are some videos you might enjoy in the meantime.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zx7-bfBoBiI
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EanCjtDkbuc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a-HUsJWEtko&t=9s
We look forward to hearing from you soon!

Congratulations Keith! I've been following this thread for months waiting for this day to come. Fantastic work sir.

I have sent you my pre-order information.

------------------

1988 Pontiac Fiero GT, Black w/Beechwood interior
2018 Volkswagen Golf GTI S

tshark

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 68
Rate this member

Report this Post03-16-2019 08:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for tsharkSend a Private Message to tsharkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by JohnWPB:

.......George

My, voice, is my, passport. Verify, me.

kgoodyear

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-16-2019 09:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for kgoodyearSend a Private Message to kgoodyearEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I can't figure this out. Somehow .......George is getting to Florida and having a good time with JohnWPB. Near as I can tell he is overnighting himself and John is getting him booze and cheese trays. I do see my postage account with some mysterious activity on it.

Anyway, I had a bit more excitement in the business side. My LLC is insured as a woodworking company not a distributing company so I had to reconfigure my LLC to a distribution company and drop the woodworking company insurance. It doesn't really bother me that much because since I started this project (2 years ago!) I have been focusing on this project and not on woodworking. The insurance wouldn't cover both. So my LLC is now a distribution company and it appears insurance rates are MUCH lower so it was like getting hit in the head with a gold brick wrapped in a lemon. I'm still going to dabble in woodworking for myself. This should satisfy GM's requirements for insurance.

We are continuing to refine our QA protocol. We now have yet another layer of QA to make sure you receive the part you Frugal Fiero Fans demand. Logistics continue to be a project in the works. .......George is throwing ideas at me and some of them are great ideas except many of them insist he hitches a ride in the box! My shipping pro has made a change in the box to better protect the lenses. He made the box a bit larger and I think added a component. He has done a drop dead job to make sure you receive the part without problems. The shipping box looks as pretty as the lenses. The box will have GM required stickers and a final approval by .......George.

Each lens will have its own part number with serial number sticker on the inside of the lens. DO NOT REMOVE THIS STICKER. You will never see it and it is a way I can maintain the pedigree of the lens. You will receive a overly detailed instruction sheet. I also think .......George has something going on with JohnWPB for an instructional video. I am sure c h e e s e is involved somewhere.

Last and probably most important: This is a two-year project plan with probably a six month exit strategy. After that the tools will be put in storage (in China) as long as it doesn't cost us anything. My team and I have started looking or our next project. It seems a shame to let all this experience go down the drain so if you have ideas for GM reproduction parts we are open to ideas. GM has also shown an interest in the future of the business.

I want to thank everyone for their patience and the kind words. It is this kind of feedback that helps us through this madness.

Kind regards,
.......George (where everyou are), the Fiero Tail Light Cover Team and Keith

Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post03-16-2019 10:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
jjd2296

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-16-2019 03:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jjd2296Send a Private Message to jjd2296Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Do we know what the final MSRP will
Be?
kgoodyear

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-16-2019 04:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for kgoodyearSend a Private Message to kgoodyearEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jjd2296:

Do we know what the final MSRP will
Be?

JJD,
Good question. Lately I have been tinkering with a pricing schedule. I've recently taken a new approach I think will help me keep the retail cost (for OEM Decorated covers) around an estimated $400 USD + shipping and handling and appropriate taxes. This week will be a busy week with data coming in giving me a better idea of just where I stand with my current and projected overhead. I suspect clear undecorated lenses will cost about 12->17% less than OEM decorated + shipping and handling and appropriate taxes. Payment will be by Visa or MC and the covers ship as soon as the transaction clears.

My contract with GM prohibits me from shipping outside of North America. So, if you live live outside Canada, America and Mexico you will need to supply an address here in the states. Tail light covers are sold only in pairs. They are genuine certified GM Restoration Parts.

Distribution of the tail light covers will begin with the (emailed) pre order list in chronological order.

------------------
Goody & .......George

hercimer01

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-16-2019 06:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hercimer01Send a Private Message to hercimer01Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
got my money ready.

------------------
Project Genisis Lo Budget 3800SC swap
12.840@104.8 MPH Intense-Racing 1.9 rockers, 3" exhaust, 3.4 pulley, ZZP tune and 18 year old tires.

88 Coupe under construction SOLD

88 formula 3.4L 4t60 swap SOLD

88GT resurrection in progress.

kgoodyear

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-16-2019 06:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for kgoodyearSend a Private Message to kgoodyearEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by hercimer01:

got my money ready.

That is great! 'cus my money manager is drumming her fingers and givin' me the ole stink eye!
GDC88

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-16-2019 07:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GDC88Send a Private Message to GDC88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm ready when you are.
GT-George

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-16-2019 10:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GT-GeorgeSend a Private Message to GT-GeorgeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I can't figure this out. Somehow .......George is getting to Florida and having a good time with JohnWPB. Near as I can tell he is overnighting himself and John is getting him booze and cheese trays.

.......George
PFF
System Bot
Curtisk1060

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-16-2019 10:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Curtisk1060Send a Private Message to Curtisk1060Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The next project needs to be replicating the GT side panels (sale panels/windows) to be made of your better material and have the correct curvature and dot matrix and GT logo like the originals, if they could come in clear, very slightly green (correct OEM style) or tinted, we all want those!!

[This message has been edited by Curtisk1060 (edited 03-16-2019).]

87_FieroGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-16-2019 10:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 87_FieroGTSend a Private Message to 87_FieroGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Curtisk1060:

The next project needs to be replicating the GT side panels (sale panels/windows) to be made of your better material and have the correct curvature and dot matrix and GT logo like the originals, if they could come in clear, very slightly green (correct OEM style) or tinted, we all want those!!

I second this. I'd like to add the correct thickness as well.

------------------

kgoodyear

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-17-2019 12:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for kgoodyearSend a Private Message to kgoodyearEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 87_FieroGT:

I second this. I'd like to add the correct thickness as well.

I thought this had all been addressed by TFS and their vendor??? What gives?

------------------
Goody & .......George

anaverin

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-17-2019 12:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for anaverinSend a Private Message to anaverinEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
kgoodyear, I believe it has. Check on the 400 dollar premium sail windows fierostore is now selling.
kgoodyear

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-17-2019 12:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for kgoodyearSend a Private Message to kgoodyearEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by anaverin:

kgoodyear, I believe it has. Check on the 400 dollar premium sail windows fierostore is now selling.

That's what I thought! I was somewhat aware of the project so we wouldn't be stepping on each others' toes. Is there a problem with the more expensive lenses?
Blowerwhine

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-17-2019 06:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BlowerwhineSend a Private Message to BlowerwhineEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Is WHAT happening?

Just (not-so) patiently waiting to be able to order a set so my little car can be as pretty as possible inside and out
olejoedad

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-17-2019 07:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

That's what I thought! I was somewhat aware of the project so we wouldn't be stepping on each others' toes. Is there a problem with the more expensive lenses?

There was an announcement at the 35th concerning the new GT sail panels.

IIRC, Fred Bartlemeyer and John Callies had teamed up to bring these to the market.
They are nearly exact replicas of the OEM panels, and are exclusively marketed by TFS.

If anyone has better information, please chime in with your comments.

[This message has been edited by olejoedad (edited 03-17-2019).]

87_FieroGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-17-2019 09:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 87_FieroGTSend a Private Message to 87_FieroGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

There was an announcement at the 35th concerning the new GT sail panels.

IIRC, Fred Bartlemeyer and John Callies had teamed up to bring these to the market.
They are nearly exact replicas of the OEM panels, and are exclusively marketed by TFS.

If anyone has better information, please chime in with your comments.

Wow, I wasn't aware of this or their accuracy. I had seen the new $400 sail panels at TFS, but they really didn't appear much better than the latest ones on Ebay that gtfiero is selling.

I'll have to look into this more. Thanks for the info.

------------------

kgoodyear

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-17-2019 09:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for kgoodyearSend a Private Message to kgoodyearEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have confidence that if Fred made them they are going to be great.
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 29 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20   21   22   23   24   25   26   27   28   29 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock