Pennock's Fiero Forum
  The Construction Zone
  Audi A8 My Fiero (Page 9)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 55 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20   21   22   23   24   25   26   27   28   29   30   31   32   33   34   35   36   37   38   39   40   41   42   43   44   45   46   47   48   49   50   51   52   53   54   55 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
Audi A8 My Fiero by engine man
Started on: 06-10-2012 12:09 PM
Replies: 2191 (103495 views)
Last post by: MarkS on 12-05-2023 09:49 AM
dratts

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 119
Rate this member

Report this Post01-15-2013 06:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for drattsSend a Private Message to drattsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm not surprised that an Audi ate your Fiero. Someone had to say it!
IP: Logged
IVANNATINKLE

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-17-2013 09:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for IVANNATINKLESend a Private Message to IVANNATINKLEEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I wish you the best of luck man
engine man

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-17-2013 10:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for engine manSend a Private Message to engine manEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I just found a job to apply for it was on craigslist it pays between $15 & $18 a hour and is a job that i know i can do so wish me luck on getting it
wftb

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-18-2013 08:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for wftbSend a Private Message to wftbEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
good luck to you, really like this thread .
Reallybig

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-19-2013 12:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ReallybigSend a Private Message to ReallybigEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Wishing the best of luck to you.
IVANNATINKLE

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-19-2013 01:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for IVANNATINKLESend a Private Message to IVANNATINKLEEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Good luck brother,
engine man

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-03-2013 01:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for engine manSend a Private Message to engine manEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I haven't been on for a while now but the snow is starting to melt and i have started a sandwich Business all though i am not making a lot of money at it yet it looks promising
tesmith66

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 135
Rate this member

Report this Post03-03-2013 01:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tesmith66Send a Private Message to tesmith66Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'll take a turkey on rye. Got any chips?

Good luck!
engine man

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-05-2013 08:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for engine manSend a Private Message to engine manEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have a Turkey & Swiss and Turkey & Stuffing foot long sub . Today was a good day i might have picked up a multi store account i need to Follow up on it in a few day to really talk them into how great my subs are .
I cant wait to get working on the car again the weather is warming up and that is making me get Fiero Fever
engine man

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-10-2013 09:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for engine manSend a Private Message to engine manEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
well after doing some more digging i have found that a 58x wheel and a 60-2 ignition trigger wheel are the same they both have 58 teeth and a empty space where 2 more teeth would fit .Now that i know this i am wondering what GM ecu will work if the one from a LS engines with the 58 tooth would work and could the stock fuel & Ignition maps be used from my Audi ECU

[This message has been edited by engine man (edited 03-10-2013).]

diabloroadster

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-10-2013 10:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for diabloroadsterSend a Private Message to diabloroadsterEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by engine man:

well after doing some more digging i have found that a 58x wheel and a 60-2 ignition trigger wheel are the same they both have 58 teeth and a empty space where 2 more teeth would fit .Now that i know this i am wondering what GM ecu will work if the one from a LS engines with the 58 tooth would work and could the stock fuel & Ignition maps be used from my Audi ECU

not sure if a factory ecu will work or not, it would depend on alot of other sensor's on your Audi engine, like what ohms your TPS reads and about 100 other things all working together so the GM ecu could read everything. I have been working on getting a Microsquirt to run on a 58x. Its been tough but Kemp3 help here on the forum and some other really smart people helping me out its getting there. On a megasquirt it can be done on the 58x easily. I have been following your thread so I know you have alot time invested on your wiring already and you have done a great job so far. I hate when people tell me "I should have done this or done that", but if you would have went with either Megasquirt/Microsquirt for engine management with your skill set- you would have been done already. If it were me I would be asking/searching of some Audi fourms to see its possible.... But good luck and keep up the great work!
PFF
System Bot
engine man

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-11-2013 06:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for engine manSend a Private Message to engine manEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If i am going to spend the money for the megasquirt then i will buy a Vems it is about the same price as the megasquirt 3 that is needed to run the engine but the Vems will have a tune for the Audi engine and works with all the Audi sensors so it is probley best i just stay with the Vems ecu
engine man

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-20-2013 08:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for engine manSend a Private Message to engine manEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Is the best way to do a harness with it completely off the engine
seajai

Feedback score:    (42)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 52
Rate this member

Report this Post03-20-2013 11:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for seajaiSend a Private Message to seajaiEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Is the best way to do a harness with it completely off the engine

Are you starting from scratch or modifying the factory Audi harness? I modified my engine harness on the bench to start but put it back on the engine to finish it up, but the Chrysler engine harness was routed through a couple plastic wire ways. I still mounted them to the bench to keep the spacing and orientation correct. I did the body harnesses on the car so I was sure to get the lengths correct. You may find it easier to do the harness on the car so you can plug in all components and work out wire lengths and routing. A piece of advice, invest in a big bag of zip ties and a zip tie tool. I used them to tie my wire bundles together as I routed them, this allowed me to keep things neat and its easy to change things if needed. After you are satisfied with things, you can wrap the harness in tape and remove the zip ties as you go. I recommend 3M "super 88" tape, it's good quality and has a high heat rating. By the time I was done building my harnesses, I had a big pile of spent zip ties.

[This message has been edited by seajai (edited 03-20-2013).]

engine man

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-21-2013 02:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for engine manSend a Private Message to engine manEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I will be modding the Audi harness
engine man

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-23-2013 04:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for engine manSend a Private Message to engine manEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well i went on the United Kingdom ebay and have found the factory S8 ecu for a 1997 4.2 with standard transmission it looks like for around $200 since it is 179 euros then all i need is the immobilizer for another $150 and being a cheapskate i like these prices much better
engine man

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-18-2013 10:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for engine manSend a Private Message to engine manEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I just keep trying to figure a cheap way to do the ecm for the engine not sure what ecm there using on a ls3 swap or a N* that has the 58 tooth trigger wheel or i could always use a converter like i talked about before that converts 58 tooth to 24x signal i just hate spending 7 to 8 hundred dollars i have a bin file from a 96 S8 euro for fuel and timing info
Will

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 237
Rate this member

Report this Post04-19-2013 09:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Aren't there places that tune Audi ECU's?

Snag the S8 unit and have a tuner drop the standard 4.2 timing, fueling, injector, limiter, etc. data into it.

Or go snag an S8 engine
engine man

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-19-2013 03:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for engine manSend a Private Message to engine manEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
they do play with the motronic me7 but no one is doing the m5.4 motronic that come stock with the ABZ engine and the only choice is the 034 motor sporst chip at $550 but you still need the immobilizer at $150 so you end up with $700 into it and for like $90 more i can do a Vems stand alone . the only thing that might work is the ME7 if 1998 had that and a 32 Valve engine not sure how a 40 valve engine ecu would work with my 32 valve engine i will go ask over at NetMoto
diabloroadster

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-20-2013 07:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for diabloroadsterSend a Private Message to diabloroadsterEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I just keep trying to figure a cheap way to do the ecm for the engine not sure what ecm there using on a ls3 swap or a N* that has the 58 tooth trigger wheel or i could always use a converter like i talked about before that converts 58 tooth to 24x signal i just hate spending 7 to 8 hundred dollars i have a bin file from a 96 S8 euro for fuel and timing info

Im using Microsquirt on my 58x LS4, its only $330.00. Super easy to setup, its batch fire but it works really well. You could step up to a MS3 and get alot more, Kemp3 here on the forum is the man to talk with. Tuning is super easy with Tunerstudio and the autotune feature, no credits to deal with, real time tuning, the list goes on and on. But the best feature is the Shadow dash- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X7JOLBSakIk

The Shadow Dash is just kick ass, so much you can do with it...

For the money, personaly I dont think there is a better stand alone engine mangement out there.

engine man

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-20-2013 08:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for engine manSend a Private Message to engine manEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
sounds good can you tell me what MS it is 1 or 2 did you buy it in kit form
PFF
System Bot
diabloroadster

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-20-2013 10:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for diabloroadsterSend a Private Message to diabloroadsterEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The Microsquirt controller itself comes assembled, although you do need to add some resistors either inside the case or in your harness. EFI Source (they make the Microsquirt) sells on Ebay- http://www.ebay.com/itm/Meg...em19d4f7b265&vxp=mtr

Or on their website- http://efisource.com/

The basic version of Tunerstudio is free to download and play with- http://tunerstudio.com/ however to get Autotune, ShadowDash, ect, is a addition fee but still very affordable.

If your on a budjet the Microsquirt will get the job done very well, but to get things like sequential injection, IAC stepper control, more outputs, ect MS3 is the way to go.

You might want to try to do a search here- http://msextra.com/forums/index.php for Audi and see what comes up, chances are there is someone who has done it before.
engine man

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-20-2013 11:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for engine manSend a Private Message to engine manEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
so you used the microsquirt did you need a ignition drive that they sell and did you use the coil on plug i am sure glad you said what you used since i was under the impression that i would have to use the ms3 extra
diabloroadster

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-21-2013 01:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for diabloroadsterSend a Private Message to diabloroadsterEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

so you used the microsquirt did you need a ignition drive that they sell and did you use the coil on plug i am sure glad you said what you used since i was under the impression that i would have to use the ms3 extra

No driver needed, and yes I used coil on plug. I just harvested the connectors off the factory wiring harness and soldered them to the 3' Microsquirt harness. You only need crank position, TPS, map, iat, and temp senders for it to work. No cam signal is needed, really pretty easy. You can check out this thread although its on a 24x 5.3, it basicly the same as the 58x and should give you a basic idea on what all is envoled-
http://ls1tech.com/forums/f...y-mechanics-how.html
You may be able to find someone who has a startup tune that will get you started and then you can tune if not-
You will just need to find out what the crank trigger offset (degrees) and few other ignition characteristics, your injector data, ect, and your up and running. And with something like a AEM UEGO wideband and autotune in Tunerstudio and you can get pretty close, then you can do some data logging and really do some final tuning. If you have a pretty good skill set when it comes to fuel injection (I didnt) it should be a breeze, if not there are alot of good people on the MS forums that either help you or point you in the right direction.

I have been really interested in your project ever since you started, hope you can make some progress soon!
Here is a pic of my LS4 in my Lambo Diablo kit-

[This message has been edited by diabloroadster (edited 04-21-2013).]

dratts

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 119
Rate this member

Report this Post04-21-2013 10:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for drattsSend a Private Message to drattsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I see that you opted for an alternative to the ls4 engine cover. I have an ls3 cover on mine and an ls7 cover for the times that i really want to lie about my engine. I am planning on modifying my ls3 cover so that people won't be as confused. You have a really clean ls4 install.
engine man

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-21-2013 02:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for engine manSend a Private Message to engine manEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for the great info I have a stock bin file but i cant read it only will show up in hex but if i could read it it would help me have a starting point as far as the tune go's. i will have to take the engine out and take all the wiring off and do the wiring harness and change a few other things hopefully i can have it all together by the end of August just gotta get some cash together doing some engine projects for my Friend i am building him a sprint car engine right now
diabloroadster

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-21-2013 07:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for diabloroadsterSend a Private Message to diabloroadsterEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You should get in contact with this guy who is building some kind of Zonda thing, he has alot experience with Audi V8's and Megasquirts and such-
http://www.madmechanics.com...ca-kitcar-build.html

Last I heard he had some engine trouble and was thinking about going to another engine platform. He "might" have a Megasquirt or some other type of engine mangment for the Audi V8 to sell or atleast he can give you alot of info. Either way you can read through his build (really long) although he first started with a V12 if I remember correctly, he had a Audi V8 (maybe turbo?) at one time....
engine man

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-23-2013 07:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for engine manSend a Private Message to engine manEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Did the microsquirt com ready to run the coils in wasted spark or did you mod it with resistors
diabloroadster

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-23-2013 10:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for diabloroadsterSend a Private Message to diabloroadsterEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Did the microsquirt com ready to run the coils in wasted spark or did you mod it with resistors

I had to add resistors. That is what kicked my butt for 3 weeks, I purchased some 1k ohm and 4.7k ohm resistors at a local computer store thhat sells them loose out of these little bins. I couldnt get my motor to start up, tried everything I could think of. I emailed everyone I could find, but since no one had done a 58x before I was kinda on my own but I did end up getting alot of good help. I ended up removing the resistors and sending the Microsquirt back to the supplier to have the unit checked out. At this point I didnt even know if it was possible for it to work on a 58x LS engine.

The supplier told me everything was fine with the unit and sent it back to me. I decided to give it one more try. I went back to the same computer store and purchased some more resitors. When I was checking out the sales guy asked me if I want to check to make sure those were the correct resistors... "what ???" The sales guy said that sometimes employees/customers/kids/ect put the resistors in the wrong bins. Sure enough I got the wrong resistors the first time around. I got the correct resistors in and it fired right up.....

[This message has been edited by diabloroadster (edited 04-23-2013).]

engine man

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-23-2013 10:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for engine manSend a Private Message to engine manEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
do you know what type of crank sensor the LS that you have uses if it is Hal or VR
diabloroadster

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-24-2013 06:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for diabloroadsterSend a Private Message to diabloroadsterEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

do you know what type of crank sensor the LS that you have uses if it is Hal or VR

If I remember correctly mine is VR.

PFF
System Bot
engine man

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-24-2013 07:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for engine manSend a Private Message to engine manEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks diabloroadster for the help now i just need to get some money together to buy a microsquirt
engine man

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-27-2013 06:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for engine manSend a Private Message to engine manEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
man it is getting nice out and i am getting th feaver to get working on this so time to put some things on ebay to get some money
engine man

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-28-2013 01:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for engine manSend a Private Message to engine manEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well i listed my new 4.3 MPI marine intake on ebay and it is just about enough to pay for a microsquirt so if it sell i will be buying the micro squirt
engine man

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-02-2013 11:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for engine manSend a Private Message to engine manEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
just sold that intake now i am closer to buying the microsquirt just a little more and i can get that and wire this up and get it to start then that will pump me up to get the rest all done
engine man

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-03-2013 09:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for engine manSend a Private Message to engine manEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I wish the car was ready then i would be living life in the fun lane check out the hill climb video this is done about 20 miles away from where i live http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Szi-JfRrJAc
IVANNATINKLE

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-19-2013 12:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IVANNATINKLESend a Private Message to IVANNATINKLEEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
hows this car going?
engine man

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-19-2013 12:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for engine manSend a Private Message to engine manEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
well right now i am working allot to make money to work on it but i will get back to it soon thanks for asking
engine man

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-20-2013 01:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for engine manSend a Private Message to engine manEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I bought a Boxster shifter that will work with the Boxster shift cables it is worth not having to fab some thing like that so i know it will work right
engine man

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-25-2013 12:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for engine manSend a Private Message to engine manEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
the Boxster shifter came today works great except it need a bushing that go's in the selector cable end
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 55 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20   21   22   23   24   25   26   27   28   29   30   31   32   33   34   35   36   37   38   39   40   41   42   43   44   45   46   47   48   49   50   51   52   53   54   55 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock