Click here to visit The FieroStore | View all sponsors
  Pennock's Fiero Forum
  The Construction Zone
  Audi A8 My Fiero (Page 53)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 53 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20   21   22   23   24   25   26   27   28   29   30   31   32   33   34   35   36   37   38   39   40   41   42   43   44   45   46   47   48   49   50   51   52   53 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
Audi A8 My Fiero by engine man
Started on: 06-10-2012 12:09 PM
Replies: 2095 (91321 views)
Last post by: engine man on 11-10-2019 02:42 PM
FieroWannaBe

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-19-2019 09:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroWannaBeClick Here to Email FieroWannaBeSend a Private Message to FieroWannaBeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by engine man:

i bought this Mustang dyno it was used for emission testing but i will convert it to what i want not sure if it will need just software or hardware or both . sime videos of it

Cool project. I work for a dyno manufacturer (not Mustang). I think the biggest hurdles you will encounter are: these dynos have low inertia, so measuring power through inertial testing alone is tricky. And the small rolls will make traction under power difficult, but nothing that cant be overcome to some degree.

IP: Logged

engine man

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-19-2019 12:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for engine manClick Here to Email engine manSend a Private Message to engine manEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I agree the small rollers have a traction problem and the eddy brake on it is good for about 500 whp one guy told me as he has the exact same model dyno and i can control the load manually with a potentiometer as t just needs a 0-5v signal but i would like the computer to do it all. what do you do design ,assemble or write software for them ?

FieroWannaBe

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-19-2019 12:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroWannaBeClick Here to Email FieroWannaBeSend a Private Message to FieroWannaBeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I agree the small rollers have a traction problem and the eddy brake on it is good for about 500 whp one guy told me as he has the exact same model dyno and i can control the load manually with a potentiometer as t just needs a 0-5v signal but i would like the computer to do it all. what do you do design ,assemble or write software for them ?

I am a project engineer, I design everything. Water Brakes, Eddies Systems, AC Regen Systems, Gen-sets based systems, Chassis Dynos, Transmission Dynos, Engine Dynos, Pump Testing, Flow Benches, Heat Exchangers, I've done it all there so far, Design, Service, Assembly, Installation and Testing.

Eddies can absorb lots of torque very quickly, but for sustained running, depending on the model used, the top end units peak at around 100HP-150HP continuous absorption. If you have the tag on the eddy I can tell you what I might now, so long as it isn't a Chinese model, we don't touch those,.

I know there a few companies out offering third party controls systems, and the control system is what makes or breaks the quality of the dyno system. Each company does it all a little differently in chassis dynos,which is why results vary so much between companies. Keep in mind, Garbage in = Garbage out, so having qaulity signals, and qaulity data, is the first step to an accurate and repeatable test. -

engine man

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-19-2019 02:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for engine manClick Here to Email engine manSend a Private Message to engine manEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

The only tag could see said mustang dyno eddy brake 72Vdc and 40 amps and i am not sure how they are figuring torque arm length as i would think it would be from the center out to the load cell and that is like 8 inches bt the dyno tag said 24 inches so that is a bit confusing to me but i was thinking it might be due to drive belt gearing and inertia weight ? and is a mustang dynamometer md a-sm-97. Wow i am sure happy to have someone like you tell me what you can and understand that it maybe not that much due to you build and sell dynamometers and can not give info away

[This message has been edited by engine man (edited 10-19-2019).]

FieroWannaBe

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-19-2019 03:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroWannaBeClick Here to Email FieroWannaBeSend a Private Message to FieroWannaBeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

The only tag could see said mustang dyno system 72Vdc and 40 amps and i am not sure how they are figuring torque arm length as i would think it would be from the center out to the load cell and that is like 8 inches bt the dyno tag said 24 inches so that is a bit confusing to me but i was thinking it might be due to drive belt gearing and inertia weight ? and is a mustang dynamometer md a-sm-97. Wow i am sure happy to have someone like you tell me what you can and understand that it maybe not that much due to you build and sell dynamometers and can not give info away

I would assume 24" would be the length they use for a calibration arm? But to determine the torque acting on the load cell from the eddy, it is center line of the pivot (usually the eddy axis, although not always) and the load point on the load cell, but if they use any drive ratio, it would require a correction factor. Inertia load is usually accounted for during acceleration and other dynamic events.
I am not very familiar with the construction of the Mustang emissions dynos. They are a bit outdated in the US, so I haven't come across any functioning units.

engine man

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-19-2019 04:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for engine manClick Here to Email engine manSend a Private Message to engine manEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Thank you for the info that you could tell me and i know the computer to it works but it is so old windows 98 and it will only do emission check and not do any other testing i have not yet tried the big control box that has the power supply to the brake but am told buy the guy that has the same dyno i can control the power absorber by using a variable resistor am assuming he is talking about a potentiometer but i would like to control it with a automatic computer control

FieroWannaBe

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-20-2019 08:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroWannaBeClick Here to Email FieroWannaBeSend a Private Message to FieroWannaBeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Thank you for the info that you could tell me and i know the computer to it works but it is so old windows 98 and it will only do emission check and not do any other testing i have not yet tried the big control box that has the power supply to the brake but am told buy the guy that has the same dyno i can control the power absorber by using a variable resistor am assuming he is talking about a potentiometer but i would like to control it with a automatic computer control

Eddy brakes are pretty easy to control, depending on the wiring. If it's wired for 72V DC, I would find a DC motor power supply capable of its rated amps. A variac will no provide a DC signal.

engine man

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-20-2019 09:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for engine manClick Here to Email engine manSend a Private Message to engine manEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

thanks i know there are 3 wires that control the eddy brake module I-con, I-sig & I-pow ground, power & signal , then i need to just get data from the load cell and from the engine rpm and roller , 02 and a few more

[This message has been edited by engine man (edited 10-20-2019).]

engine man

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-21-2019 01:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for engine manClick Here to Email engine manSend a Private Message to engine manEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

i have power to the dyno control box

Rickady88GT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 191
Rate this member

Report this Post10-21-2019 10:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rickady88GTClick Here to Email Rickady88GTSend a Private Message to Rickady88GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Thanks Rickady88GT as i also think it is cool . I just bought a labjack u6 pro to run it now i just need to put it all together

I don't know much about that dyno, but I do know that you should replace that drive belt and have one or two on the shelf, just in case.
I am totally waiting for a video; )

engine man

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-21-2019 11:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for engine manClick Here to Email engine manSend a Private Message to engine manEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

yes i need to figure out what the belt as i do not see any numbers on it

engine man

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-22-2019 07:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for engine manClick Here to Email engine manSend a Private Message to engine manEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

well today i canceled the labjack order as i felt it just was not going to be any cheaper and it was going to be more work as i would need to learn how to write code so i ordered the YourDyno controller and software so the dyno should be up and working in about 2 weeks

engine man

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-23-2019 06:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for engine manClick Here to Email engine manSend a Private Message to engine manEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Since i bought the dyno i have been feeling like a little kid as i can't wait to get the fiero up on my new toy to tune it

engine man

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-29-2019 07:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for engine manClick Here to Email engine manSend a Private Message to engine manEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

i have not worked on the car for some time now but i have almost everything to get the dyno up and going i am just waiting on a computer that will be for the dyno only and that should be in tomorrow then i just need to get the rest of the camper off the trailer frame so can mount the dyno on it and do the wiring then i will test it with my truck first then put the fiero up on to see what she has after i do some tuning on it

engine man

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-01-2019 06:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for engine manClick Here to Email engine manSend a Private Message to engine manEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

the dyno is ready to use other than it needs to be mounted on the ground or like i am doing on a trailer so it is mobile

engine man

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-10-2019 02:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for engine manClick Here to Email engine manSend a Private Message to engine manEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

today i got after it on striping the camper body off the trailer it is now off and just the floor is left but i think that will rip right off with the truck in 4 wheel low and a strap hooked on and just rip away it will be dyno ready soon

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 53 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20   21   22   23   24   25   26   27   28   29   30   31   32   33   34   35   36   37   38   39   40   41   42   43   44   45   46   47   48   49   50   51   52   53 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock