Pennock's Fiero Forum
  The Construction Zone
  Audi A8 My Fiero (Page 48)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 55 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20   21   22   23   24   25   26   27   28   29   30   31   32   33   34   35   36   37   38   39   40   41   42   43   44   45   46   47   48   49   50   51   52   53   54   55 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
Audi A8 My Fiero by engine man
Started on: 06-10-2012 12:09 PM
Replies: 2191 (103407 views)
Last post by: MarkS on 12-05-2023 09:49 AM
engine man

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-07-2019 12:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for engine manSend a Private Message to engine manEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
yes the w12 is 20 inches long but they are $3000 for one i paid $450 for the whole car
IP: Logged
engine man

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-07-2019 02:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for engine manSend a Private Message to engine manEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

engine man

5298 posts
Member since Mar 2006
oops dp

[This message has been edited by engine man (edited 02-07-2019).]

Reallybig

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-08-2019 03:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ReallybigSend a Private Message to ReallybigEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I've been looking into the w8 for a project as well. 275hp isn't bad. But its reputation is ...
Not to mention. the intake reminds me of a pancake. The w8 6 spd standard transmission is extremely rare and expensive if the owner knows what they have. I am curious if it will bolt up to the 1.8 standard transmission...
It does have a great exhaust note! And I wonder how it would perform with a twin turbo setup?
engine man

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-08-2019 09:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for engine manSend a Private Message to engine manEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
yes i have read that the timing chain tensioner guides are problem coming apart and plugging the oil pickup screen so i feel the need to take the oil pan off and checking that and replacing the chain tensioner guides . not sure if the pistons can be milled some to drop the compression or if double head gaskets could be used like they do with the audi 4.2 v8?
Reallybig

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-09-2019 12:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ReallybigSend a Private Message to ReallybigEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have also heard there's a balance shaft that slips its drive causing heavy vibration and a tell-tale a clicking noise
engine man

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-09-2019 01:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for engine manSend a Private Message to engine manEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
the balance shaft is belt driven and more than likely people don't get the belt changed at the time it is supposed to be changed

[This message has been edited by engine man (edited 02-09-2019).]

engine man

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-16-2019 11:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for engine manSend a Private Message to engine manEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
started blending the rear bumper in after i refit it

[This message has been edited by engine man (edited 02-16-2019).]

engine man

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-17-2019 04:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for engine manSend a Private Message to engine manEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
today i did a little bit to the rear section as i sanded the filler and spread a second coat of filler and i think it will take another coat or 2 of filler to get the rear bumper all blended in , after that i will flip it back over and put it back on the car and finish it up then i can move on to the front section of roof and that should not take long nor should the trunk or front end cracks .
engine man

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-18-2019 03:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for engine manSend a Private Message to engine manEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
it is looking pretty good on the bumper but i want to put this back on the car so it is sturdy so i can finish it all up

shemdogg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-18-2019 09:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for shemdoggSend a Private Message to shemdoggEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
looking good man! fiberglass sanding sux.

gonna look sweet back on the car

shem
engine man

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-18-2019 10:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for engine manSend a Private Message to engine manEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks shemdogg i see your project is looking great
PFF
System Bot
engine man

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-20-2019 05:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for engine manSend a Private Message to engine manEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Sometimes you just need to mock it up so you can get motivated and it worked for me as in my opinion this is gonna be a sick looking car if i can do a good job at finishing it up

engine man

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-23-2019 04:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for engine manSend a Private Message to engine manEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
where the car started last october before i decided to chop the top and where I am trying to go and where it is right now

Spadesluck

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-24-2019 03:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SpadesluckSend a Private Message to SpadesluckEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Out of curiosity what type of bondo are you using ?
engine man

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-24-2019 08:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for engine manSend a Private Message to engine manEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
bondo brand is the filler but everything is attached with fiberglass epoxy resin and fiberglass cloth you just need to make sure you get the paint off and a good 80 grit rough surface for the filler to grip it and in the end you can go over it with a coat of a premium bondo it is gold and higher quality and i think it is SMC compatible

[This message has been edited by engine man (edited 02-24-2019).]

shemdogg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-24-2019 12:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for shemdoggSend a Private Message to shemdoggEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Damn thats looking good youre almost there. Def digging the fastback sail panels that looks schweet!

shem
engine man

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-24-2019 01:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for engine manSend a Private Message to engine manEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks shem i to think that using the GT fastback was a good move and looks better than what the kit car body had and doing the choptop made it better in my opinion
engine man

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-25-2019 07:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for engine manSend a Private Message to engine manEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Today i started to wonder how the car would look in Viper Yellow
RCR

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 102
Rate this member

Report this Post02-25-2019 08:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RCRSend a Private Message to RCREdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by engine man:

Today i started to wonder how the car would look in Viper Yellow

Kind of fast attempt at yellow...

Bob

engine man

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-25-2019 08:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for engine manSend a Private Message to engine manEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
wow that is bright but gives me a better idea thanks
engine man

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-26-2019 08:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for engine manSend a Private Message to engine manEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
well i bought a new paint spray gun it is a Devilbiss GTI pro lite te20 i have researched it and it is supposed to be a excellent gun only one thing is mine i feel it is a knock off from China but it look just like the real deal and some say it is a exact copy

[This message has been edited by engine man (edited 02-27-2019).]

PFF
System Bot
Spadesluck

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-27-2019 01:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SpadesluckSend a Private Message to SpadesluckEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I know zero about paint guns, but that does look nice. I just have the good old Harbor Freight purple HVLP paint gun that I have yet to use.

[This message has been edited by Spadesluck (edited 02-27-2019).]

engine man

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-27-2019 10:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for engine manSend a Private Message to engine manEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I don't know about spray guns myself i can only go by what others say so i look at reviews and read the good and bad along with trying to watch videos on whatever it may be i am buying
engine man

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-02-2019 12:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for engine manSend a Private Message to engine manEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
well i have all the big stuff done now it is just a matter of getting it all flat and smooth and sanded
engine man

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-02-2019 07:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for engine manSend a Private Message to engine manEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

engine man

5298 posts
Member since Mar 2006
i keep trying to find paint scheme that really knocks my socks off i like the red i think and i think some black but not sure if the black should be shiny or satin i suppose it depends on where the black would be like i was thinking black out the door scoop chanel
Spadesluck

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-02-2019 08:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SpadesluckSend a Private Message to SpadesluckEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
To me red is to be "expected" with that body style. I myself would go against the traditional and try and find something that is unique. Not saying red wouldn't look good, just I would rather have a color that really stands out. Finding said color could be a challenge but with that in mind regular colors wont distract your decision anymore.

[This message has been edited by Spadesluck (edited 03-02-2019).]

engine man

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-02-2019 09:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for engine manSend a Private Message to engine manEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
i agree with what you are saying just think there should be some black accents to enhance it but not sure where to put the black and should it be satin or gloss
onesexyfiero

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-03-2019 06:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for onesexyfieroSend a Private Message to onesexyfieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I know you said you are done modifying the body, but I just wanted to throw my 2 cents in. You finished and painted the car once already, then took it back apart because you weren't satisfied with it. There are a bunch of changes I made in the Photoshop beyond just the tail lights. Believe me, I've done enough of both to know that Photoshopping and body work are two different things, but that said, I think they made a worthwhile difference in the look, fit, and finish of the car. I would suggest you take a look back at where I outlined what I did, take some time away, and decide if any of that is still worth doing. Of course, I could be off base, and maybe my taste differs from yours, but to me particularly the shape of the side scoops and trim is low lying fruit with big room for improvement.The temptation to paint and finish is strong, but I'd hate to see you miss out on something really worth doing. Do with that what you will. Just something to think about.

As far as color, I think a dark metallic grey would look mean. I think the car is busy enough style wise that it doesn't need any crazy two-tones or graphics.
engine man

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-03-2019 07:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for engine manSend a Private Message to engine manEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
i did redo the side scoops i pulled the top back 3 inches so there is much more rake in them and i have not made the skirts yet for the bottom of the body yet but those will be the same color of the car the rear bumper i would have had to get a new bumper then mod it to fit that is a bunch of work if i could even find a bumper then do the mod

[This message has been edited by engine man (edited 03-03-2019).]

engine man

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-03-2019 08:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for engine manSend a Private Message to engine manEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

engine man

5298 posts
Member since Mar 2006
quarter panel scoop mod

onesexyfiero

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-04-2019 08:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for onesexyfieroSend a Private Message to onesexyfieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yeah, i saw that. Looks much better. I do still think it would look better to better align it with the scoop in the door, and taper the door portion, but again, your call.

I think you could improve the rear bumper without totally replacing it. Maybe not quite what i showed, but getting more curvature in the top lip, and building the bottom out so it doesnt sink in quite so much.

PFF
System Bot
engine man

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-04-2019 08:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for engine manSend a Private Message to engine manEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
i will get better door alignment when the skins go on the power window doors and the bumper mods you are talking about would make t look better but the top edge would have to be cut out as there is just not enough material there to just grind fill and round but could soften the edge up some but not as much as in your rendering and the lower part of the bumper could be built out but it would take a major rework to get it right in the corners
engine man

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-12-2019 06:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for engine manSend a Private Message to engine manEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
things are coming along fine just taking my time trying to do the best i can i am not sure if it will be a few weeks or a month before it gets sprayed with primer so i will just keep working hard on it and the rear deck lid is ready for primer . the rear body section is the part that i see taking the most time due to so much was done there the hood is repaired so that is just sand and spot prime the repair spot the front end and fenders need a small amount of work and then sand it all the front roof section just needs sanding door skins need bonding to fiero door skins and grinding , filling & blending edges so as you can see there are some things that will go quickly and some that will take time

[This message has been edited by engine man (edited 03-12-2019).]

engine man

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-15-2019 01:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for engine manSend a Private Message to engine manEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
tomorrow i will get the doors all prepped so i can bond the fiero door skins to the kit car door skins as you can see they are fit and just need bonding they are riveted on right now

[This message has been edited by engine man (edited 03-15-2019).]

engine man

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-16-2019 07:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for engine manSend a Private Message to engine manEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
ordered some speeding ticket red metal flake not sure i am going to use it but i will have it if i decide to
engine man

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-19-2019 10:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for engine manSend a Private Message to engine manEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Roof , Hood , Trunk lid & complete front end just need to be da with 220 then 320 primed and wet sanded and that's fine in my dusty shop but color and clear i am not sure what i am going to do because i do not want the dust and dirt in the final paint job
sourmash

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 50
User Banned

Report this Post03-20-2019 07:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for sourmashSend a Private Message to sourmashEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
They make portable spray booths. An acquaintance bought a tent and rigged it for fans as a spray booth for his MG.
engine man

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-20-2019 09:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for engine manSend a Private Message to engine manEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
i see the portable spray booths but no one rents them around where i am and they are too much to buy as i could just pay someone to spray it at that point but i have seen some on the internet making a spray booth with pvc pipe and plastic sheet and that is what i will need to do inside the shop or i will need to wait until it warms up outside
engine man

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-20-2019 03:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for engine manSend a Private Message to engine manEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

engine man

5298 posts
Member since Mar 2006
today i got a quart of some dupli color paint shop clear just to see what the metal flake will look like sprayed over my blaze red base and i will say it looks great tried taking a pic with my phone but you can't really see it but trust me it is going to look awesome
RCR

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 102
Rate this member

Report this Post03-22-2019 08:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RCRSend a Private Message to RCREdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by engine man:

i see the portable spray booths but no one rents them around where i am and they are too much to buy as i could just pay someone to spray it at that point but i have seen some on the internet making a spray booth with pvc pipe and plastic sheet and that is what i will need to do inside the shop or i will need to wait until it warms up outside

I was wandering through Costco the other day. They had a portable car port for about $200. Might make an interesting spray booth.

Bob
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 55 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20   21   22   23   24   25   26   27   28   29   30   31   32   33   34   35   36   37   38   39   40   41   42   43   44   45   46   47   48   49   50   51   52   53   54   55 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock