Pennock's Fiero Forum
  The Construction Zone
  Audi A8 My Fiero (Page 44)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 55 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20   21   22   23   24   25   26   27   28   29   30   31   32   33   34   35   36   37   38   39   40   41   42   43   44   45   46   47   48   49   50   51   52   53   54   55 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
Audi A8 My Fiero by engine man
Started on: 06-10-2012 12:09 PM
Replies: 2191 (103496 views)
Last post by: MarkS on 12-05-2023 09:49 AM
engine man

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-15-2018 07:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for engine manSend a Private Message to engine manEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
worked on the outer belt idler & tensioner pulley alignment by making a angle shim and i am now happier with the way the belt is riding on them the only thing is i might shim the tensioner pulley out 1 shim as it might make it just that tinny bit better
IP: Logged
engine man

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-16-2018 02:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for engine manSend a Private Message to engine manEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
ok today i finished lining the pulleys up and like where the belts are riding and how they are riding now i need to take the blower off to repair the bypass valve and drill and tap the intake for the intake air temp sensor then a bit of firewall mods for clearance the engine should be all back in this week and running i also want to move the computer to inside the car but that can be done after i get it back up and running
engine man

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-17-2018 07:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for engine manSend a Private Message to engine manEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
today i did get the engine finished up and now is ready to go in and now i need to do some modification to the fire wall for clearance like need to move the wiring about 2 inches toward the passenger side this is due to the idler and tensioner pulley for the extra belt being on the passenger side
engine man

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-18-2018 09:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for engine manSend a Private Message to engine manEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
well i need to go to a pluming store as i need to make some coolant pluming up then i can start to install the engine i hope to do this tomorrow it should not take long to put it back in
engine man

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-19-2018 03:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for engine manSend a Private Message to engine manEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
the plumber must of come by today look at all that nice copper pipe now i can install the engine tomorrow and Friday

engine man

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-20-2018 03:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for engine manSend a Private Message to engine manEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Engine is back up and in but i do need to do some mods to the firewall just need a bit of clearancing

[This message has been edited by engine man (edited 09-20-2018).]

sourmash

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 50
User Banned

Report this Post09-20-2018 08:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sourmashSend a Private Message to sourmashEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I thought you'd have to do that. lol.
Hey Mark am I seeing there are two belts but they have a different route?
engine man

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-20-2018 08:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for engine manSend a Private Message to engine manEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
yes you are seeing that i needed one to run the alternator and ac pump for when i hook that up in the future but all the pulleys are matched to the same sizes so they are spinning at the same speed

[This message has been edited by engine man (edited 09-20-2018).]

engine man

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-21-2018 03:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for engine manSend a Private Message to engine manEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
today i moved a few things and now there is no issue with interference with the belts and tomorrow i will finish it up and have it running again i am hoping this is the last time i need to take the engine out for anything and i can just enjoy driving it for a few weeks before putting it up for next season
engine man

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-22-2018 12:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for engine manSend a Private Message to engine manEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Today i started it up and found a pulley rubbing but not a big deal i will just move what it is rubbing on and i need to do a few more things like hookup the throttle cable , brake vacuum line , shifter cables and a few more things but not much i could have done it today but just was not into doing it but i can say the dual belt system is working great with zero belt slip there is no squealing belt
engine man

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-23-2018 04:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for engine manSend a Private Message to engine manEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Running the Dual Belt system on the engine no more slipping belt not even a hint of belt slip
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OIktJ8IRpAg
PFF
System Bot
engine man

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-24-2018 06:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for engine manSend a Private Message to engine manEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
ok today i was running the engine and i am now wondering where to set the gain for the knock sensors on my megasquirt 3 anyone have any experience with this
engine man

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-25-2018 07:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for engine manSend a Private Message to engine manEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
today i learned how to setup acceleration enrichment it basically the same as a carburetor with the carb it is when , duration and amount and EFI is when , duration and how much enrichment the when in the way i set up my efi acceleration enrichment was based on throttle opening speed the duration is stile how long from start to finish and the how much is the good stuff as it is where you adjust how much the initial shot is and how much it tappers off it is like making the carburetor accelerator pump cam shape and size

[This message has been edited by engine man (edited 09-25-2018).]

engine man

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-28-2018 09:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for engine manSend a Private Message to engine manEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I just orderd a suction cup mount for the Gopro so i can get some video well driving the car i should hve it next week and some new videos next week
engine man

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-28-2018 05:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for engine manSend a Private Message to engine manEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

engine man

5298 posts
Member since Mar 2006
well with the blower setup i have 7 inch crank pully and 3 inch blower pully it looks lke i am going to have about 13 psi of boost at 6500 as i was doing a free rev test to see what i was getting and you cant hold the throttle open as you have to let off or blow the engine up as it would just go out of site and i hate revlimiters anyway i saw 11.9 at 6000 rpm so i think it will give me 1 more pound of boost i will know tomorrow as i plan to take it for a ride and i will data log it
engine man

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-29-2018 05:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for engine manSend a Private Message to engine manEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
well today i took the car out and it is way to rich in upper rpm with high throttle opening but i am working on it on the pluse side well looking at the data log i did it hit 13.2 psi of boost at 3500 rpm but the engine is so rich it realy dosent want to rev up but i will get it there

[This message has been edited by engine man (edited 09-29-2018).]

engine man

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-30-2018 12:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for engine manSend a Private Message to engine manEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
well i am having fun tunning the engine as it is still a bit to rich in spots i look at the data log and lean it out where it needs it then there is a buttun for after i do my changes to smoth the fuel map out i think it will be good after a few more time then i can start playing with ignition and fuel i do need to order some boost juice for the water / methanol injection or find some one who sells a 50/50 mix windshield washer fluid

[This message has been edited by engine man (edited 09-30-2018).]

Reallybig

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-30-2018 01:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ReallybigSend a Private Message to ReallybigEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I admire your perseverance! Amazing work and creative ingenuity. Hang in there!
engine man

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-30-2018 01:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for engine manSend a Private Message to engine manEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks i will push ahead !
David Hambleton

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-30-2018 07:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for David HambletonSend a Private Message to David HambletonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Reallybig:

I admire your perseverance! Amazing work and creative ingenuity. Hang in there!

I look for your posts every day; I'm sure many others do as well.

engine man

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-30-2018 08:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for engine manSend a Private Message to engine manEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
thanks guy's i cant wait to give you all a good ride along video after i get it to run nice and clean it is really close to doing that and i have been chalendged to race a 2016 camaro i told him as soon as it is all tuned i would show him the tail lights lol

[This message has been edited by engine man (edited 09-30-2018).]

PFF
System Bot
Larryinkc

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-30-2018 09:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LarryinkcSend a Private Message to LarryinkcEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by engine man:

well i am having fun tunning the engine as it is still a bit to rich in spots i look at the data log and lean it out where it needs it then there is a buttun for after i do my changes to smoth the fuel map out i think it will be good after a few more time then i can start playing with ignition and fuel i do need to order some boost juice for the water / methanol injection or find some one who sells a 50/50 mix windshield washer fluid

I ran a water/methanol injection setup on my DD, I plumbed it before the supercharger, it worked great for a while then over time it lost some boost. The water/methanol took the coating off the rotors, they looked like new bare aluminum rotors when I took the SC off.

Larry

engine man

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-01-2018 07:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for engine manSend a Private Message to engine manEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
yup i am sure the coating will come off my rotors to but insted of recoating i am going to see if the blower shop can put the rotor teflon strips on them like my old B&M Mega blower had but they might not work due to no fuel running through the blower
Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post10-01-2018 03:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Larryinkc:

I ran a water/methanol injection setup on my DD, I plumbed it before the supercharger... The water/methanol took the coating off the rotors...

This is well above my comfort/knowledge level, but I thought I had read that the solution was "simply" to plumb it after the supercharger.
engine man

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-01-2018 07:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for engine manSend a Private Message to engine manEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have a few ? Larryinkc just wondering how many miles where on the supercharger before you put the water / methanol injection and how many miles did it go before the coating cam off and how often did the water methanol come on was it every time you drove the car did you get after it enough to make it come on and at what boost pressure did it activate i am asking so i can get an idea of how long the coating will last before i need to repair the blower then i will have High Speed Lab recoat them and rebuild as they claim there coating can take it

[This message has been edited by engine man (edited 10-01-2018).]

Larryinkc

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-01-2018 09:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LarryinkcSend a Private Message to LarryinkcEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I started spraying at 7 lbs of boost and I used it pretty often. It probably went about 6 or 8 months before it started loosing boost. I had High Speed Lab rebuild mine also. They coated the rotors and case both. I didn't use the water,methanol after I got it back from them so I can't say how their coating holds up.
engine man

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-03-2018 09:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for engine manSend a Private Message to engine manEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Today i got boost juice and a camra mount now i just need some decent weather and i will get it so the tune is decent then i will due a video that should be happening in the next few day
engine man

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-07-2018 01:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for engine manSend a Private Message to engine manEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hi you only need to watch the first 30 seconds of my ride along video i made it with a gopro4 hero the cars tune is not 100 percent but i can at least roll into the throttle now but the car needs a alignment as you can se me getting tossed back and forth when it gets to a certain speed
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vhCSAvhRafc
engine man

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-07-2018 03:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for engine manSend a Private Message to engine manEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

engine man

5298 posts
Member since Mar 2006
well i have found in my megasquirt i can control my water / methonol injection i just need a high speed seloniod valve
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-07-2018 04:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

the cars tune is not 100 percent but i can at least roll into the throttle now

Sounds beastly! All I could clearly make out what you were saying was "whoops" at the very end.

Can't wait to hear you going through two or three gears at WOT on dry pavement (and after a wheel alignment).

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 10-07-2018).]

engine man

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-07-2018 05:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for engine manSend a Private Message to engine manEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
yes wheel alignment is needed as she gets doing the watusi and i do like that sound.
the maximum boost i have seen is 15.5 but i need to get te intake temp down as the dumb water meth injection controler has craped the bed i think so i am going to have the megasquirt handle that i am not woried about putting a maping for the water / methanol injection as i am seeing 8.5 pounds of boost @ 2100 rpm so i am going to set it to come on with 6 psi and 2500 rpm minume and over 50 percent throttle postion . After looking at my data log i see i got to 70 precent throttle in second gear and i am hitting 15.5 psi of boost with a total of 15 degrees of ignition timming so i feel that i will be able to bump up the timming and get more power out of it

[This message has been edited by engine man (edited 10-07-2018).]

PFF
System Bot
engine man

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-08-2018 09:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for engine manSend a Private Message to engine manEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Today i bought a solenoid valve that to meter the water / methanol with a pwm signal this will be more precise i also bought a larger nozzel so i can get the intake temps down i am going to go with a larger tank some time soon
engine man

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-10-2018 07:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for engine manSend a Private Message to engine manEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I think i might buy another fiero to strip for parts like all of the AC stuff i will know in a few weeks if it is still there and i have enough money to make a resonable offer
engine man

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-11-2018 08:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for engine manSend a Private Message to engine manEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My Prayers go out to all those in FL
engine man

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-13-2018 04:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for engine manSend a Private Message to engine manEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
well it looks like it is getting time to put the car up for winter i will get the water / metanol hooked back up using the megasquirt controlling it but i think that there will only be a few days left i want to drive it due to just bad weather . i would have liked to be further along with this project but i am happy with the way it is turning out .
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-13-2018 04:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

well it looks like it is getting time to put the car up for winter... there will only be a few days left i want to drive it due to just bad weather.

That's okay, Mark. We sure as heck don't want to see you and the car slip-sliding off wet/icy pavement. Wait until you've got dry roads again... and then give 'er hell.
engine man

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-14-2018 05:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for engine manSend a Private Message to engine manEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
well today would have been a nice day for a ride but i worked on the house as i did need to get the work done before snow flys
engine man

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-15-2018 09:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for engine manSend a Private Message to engine manEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
ok i have the solenoid valve now for the water / methanol injection and want to know if any of you have used a megasquirt 3x to control tjis as they do have that function i am wondering what your mapping for the water / methanol looks like
Rickady88GT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 202
Rate this member

Report this Post10-15-2018 01:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rickady88GTSend a Private Message to Rickady88GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

well today would have been a nice day for a ride but i worked on the house as i did need to get the work done before snow flys

I feel your pain, I have been working a house/yard project for a couple of years and just watch my hobby projects collect dust
engine man

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-15-2018 05:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for engine manSend a Private Message to engine manEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Rickady88GT you are not talking pain after a few year that is abuse to not work on your project car
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 55 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20   21   22   23   24   25   26   27   28   29   30   31   32   33   34   35   36   37   38   39   40   41   42   43   44   45   46   47   48   49   50   51   52   53   54   55 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock