Pennock's Fiero Forum
  The Construction Zone
  Audi A8 My Fiero (Page 4)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 55 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20   21   22   23   24   25   26   27   28   29   30   31   32   33   34   35   36   37   38   39   40   41   42   43   44   45   46   47   48   49   50   51   52   53   54   55 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
Audi A8 My Fiero by engine man
Started on: 06-10-2012 12:09 PM
Replies: 2191 (103366 views)
Last post by: MarkS on 12-05-2023 09:49 AM
engine man

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-15-2012 04:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for engine manSend a Private Message to engine manEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
well i looked again to day and its gonna be tight between the strut towers but will just fit with an inch on each side
IP: Logged
engine man

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-16-2012 07:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for engine manSend a Private Message to engine manEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well i am going with Vems at EFI Express $790 this included ECU , Connectors & Maps for the 4.2 V8 http://www.efiexpress.com/catalog/index.php
I thought i would list what i have spent and need to spend

1998 Fiero GT T-Top $1300
1998 Audi A8 4.2 engine with 2001 passat transmission with wiring harness and ecu $1000
Vems ECU $790
90 inch long transmission cables ?
Porsche Boxster transmission brackets $300 bought on ebay with cales for $75.00
034 Motorsports flywheel insert $400 shipped
Clutch disk $69
stock pressure plate from passat $0.00
cut and weld Axles ?

[This message has been edited by engine man (edited 08-18-2012).]

engine man

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-17-2012 06:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for engine manSend a Private Message to engine manEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
well i have a few things to clean up and a few parts to wait for befor it really gets put in but hear is a few pictures of what it kinda will look like

[This message has been edited by engine man (edited 08-17-2012).]

Reallybig

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-18-2012 06:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ReallybigSend a Private Message to ReallybigEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Looking' good!
engine man

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-18-2012 08:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for engine manSend a Private Message to engine manEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks gonna get back at it tomorrow
engine man

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-19-2012 02:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for engine manSend a Private Message to engine manEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Man i have to say this just looks right and is down right sexy looking as far as car's go

Austrian Import

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-19-2012 04:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Austrian ImportSend a Private Message to Austrian ImportEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Gorgeous!! Please post more pictures.

Will

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 237
Rate this member

Report this Post08-19-2012 04:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
A little late to think about it now, but the Passat W8 would be an even better fit and reduce the amount of setback your axles require...
engine man

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-19-2012 09:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for engine manSend a Private Message to engine manEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I like what i have I am sure the W8 would be right at home but i bet you would pay more for just the engine than i did for all that i got and she is going to be a sexy beast. I will post some more pictures when i get a bit further along

[This message has been edited by engine man (edited 08-19-2012).]

BV MotorSports

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 189
Rate this member

Report this Post08-19-2012 11:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BV MotorSportsSend a Private Message to BV MotorSportsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Nice, its good to see some original swaps! Good luck.
355Fiero

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-20-2012 01:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 355FieroSend a Private Message to 355FieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Engine man;

In the pic looking at the rear on, is the cradle hard up against the frame with the trans sitting in the position it is in the pic or is there more work to get it a bit further up so the trans is a bit more behind the rear bumper?

Looking great. I have a Ferrari 355 3" stretched frame that i wanted to do this with so I am following this to see how it all turns out.

Keep the updates coming.

Cheers
Don

Originally posted by engine man:

well i have a few things to clean up and a few parts to wait for befor it really gets put in but hear is a few pictures of what it kinda will look like

PFF
System Bot
engine man

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-20-2012 07:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for engine manSend a Private Message to engine manEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
no 355fiero it is not all the way up to the frame i am going to get some pictures today with it all in place and the end of the transmission is just shy of the back of the trunk by about an inch . with a 3 inch stretch like you have it would work out really nice your axle offset would be about 2 inches or less mine is just under 5 inches . thanks BV motorsports it feels good to do an original

[This message has been edited by engine man (edited 08-20-2012).]

engine man

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-20-2012 10:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for engine manSend a Private Message to engine manEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

engine man

5298 posts
Member since Mar 2006
pictures of it all the way in and needing to go forward 1 inch i need to modify the tunnel that go's across the fire wall but this is where the engine will sit other than that back cradle pads are touching the frame . oh ya the rear deck hinges are gonna need about 1/2 inch trimmed from the inside. I hope this helps 355Fiero or any body who is thinking of doing it I am kinda at a stand still now gotta wait for parts and some more money to really go further

355Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-20-2012 12:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 355FieroSend a Private Message to 355FieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Oh yeah that is dead sexy.

Thanks for pushing it up the rest of the way. Looks like I will be swapping my 3.4 dohc against a Getrg to a setup like this. Btw, I agree with the other member that you will most likely have issues using only the 1x2 to support the trans end at the back of the cradle. Motoracer (Joe) did a slightly different setup at the rear using 2x2 I believe that looks a bunch stronger.

Please keep the updtaes coming as you keep going.

Thanks again for sharing.
Don
engine man

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-20-2012 01:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for engine manSend a Private Message to engine manEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
what i am thinking is to weld some 2 X 2 1/4 thick channel iron to the bottom side to stiffen it up
Will

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-20-2012 07:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

what i am thinking is to weld some 2 X 2 1/4 thick channel iron to the bottom side to stiffen it up

You'll need to do a lot more than that.

The loads on the lateral links in the suspension will try to fold each cradle side rail under the car. The mounts from the rail to the frame on the same side will not be able to withstand the moment. The rear crossmember needs to be *triangulated* well enough that loads on one rail can be shared by all four mounts.

Think about how beefy the stock rear cradle crossmember is... you'll need something at least that stiff in vertical bending. Ideally it should be stronger because you'll be applying greater loads to it than stock.

Did you get a before weight for the car or a before/after weight for the cradle + assembled powertrain?

I think your right engine mount is going to need triangulation also.

[This message has been edited by Will (edited 08-20-2012).]

engine man

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-20-2012 08:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for engine manSend a Private Message to engine manEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
i think i don't under stand what you are say but let me try . now do you want me to triangulate from the center of the crossmember to the side rails horizontally or do you want me to do a gusset on the crossmembers that reach up higher on the mounting points or just do all the above

engine man

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-21-2012 05:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for engine manSend a Private Message to engine manEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Will i think i understand what you are saying is that when the side load while cornering is going to try or will fold the mounting pad legs in the back up an under so i need to triangulate from the mounting pad down to the crossmember
Will

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-21-2012 05:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Will i think i understand what you are saying is that when the side load while cornering is going to try or will fold the mounting pad legs in the back up an under so i need to triangulate from the mounting pad down to the crossmember

Yes.

You'll need to build what will be in essesnce a truss ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Truss ) that connects the two mounting pad legs. This makes each mounting pad leg triangulated against the mounting point on the opposite side of the body.

However, your truss needs a hole in it for your transmission.
engine man

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-21-2012 08:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for engine manSend a Private Message to engine manEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ya i agree that it needs to be fixed i need to get the transmission linkage so i know where to put the pipe's .thanks i wasn't thinking of that side load and the long like legs going up and the leverage it was going to have on all of it

[This message has been edited by engine man (edited 08-21-2012).]

engine man

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-24-2012 12:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for engine manSend a Private Message to engine manEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
well the transmission linkage showed up with cables it is from a 97-99 Porsche boxter it fits perfect oh ya it should Porsche boxster , Audi a4 and VW passat all used the 012 getrag transmission and the price was right $75
PFF
System Bot
Austrian Import

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-24-2012 01:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Austrian ImportSend a Private Message to Austrian ImportEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
what's your plan for the rear suspension? stock, or double wishbone?

Porsche Boxster rear suspension

Redesign a Fiero suspension for better geometry (Solidworks, ProEngineer, etc)

[This message has been edited by Austrian Import (edited 08-24-2012).]

engine man

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-24-2012 04:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for engine manSend a Private Message to engine manEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
just stock i don't see any need to do anything to it , first you must exceed it's limits before needing any more and i don't think to many drivers even come close to it's limitations . I took some pictures of the transmission linkage

engine man

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-26-2012 10:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for engine manSend a Private Message to engine manEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well it was a nice day today but i did not work on the car and need to get back at it tomorrow along with repair my truck brake line that blew out due to being old and rusted i hope to have the engine all bolted in place and rear suspension back on by the end of the week then i will have to wait to get enough money to buy my Vems ECU to run it and i don't think i will have enough money before October at the earliest .
Erik

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 168
Rate this member

Report this Post08-27-2012 01:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ErikSend a Private Message to ErikEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The engine looks like it sets really low in the engine bay but I noticed that you dont have the cradle bolted up. It would be sweet to have a flat 6 Porsche in a Fiero.

[This message has been edited by Erik (edited 08-27-2012).]

Will

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-27-2012 05:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It would be a waste of a Porsche engine, but might be doable with a Subaru 6.
engine man

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-27-2012 06:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for engine manSend a Private Message to engine manEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks Erik it will be all bolted in by the end of the week and i will take pictures of it the but the last pictures i posted it was at the right hight just needed it to go forward . the only thing that is holing me up right now is the nub that the clutch fan screw on to on the water pump i need to cut it off and saws all blades aren't touching it need to get some cut off wheels .
Austrian Import

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-28-2012 12:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Austrian ImportSend a Private Message to Austrian ImportEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Erik:
The engine looks like it sets really low in the engine bay but I noticed that you dont have the cradle bolted up. It would be sweet to have a flat 6 Porsche in a Fiero.

+1 also a Subaru boxer motor
Reallybig

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-28-2012 12:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ReallybigSend a Private Message to ReallybigEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Austrian Import:

+1 also a Subaru boxer motor

Alright, don't keep us guessing, what year would you suggest and what are that's engine's stats?
seajai

Feedback score:    (42)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 52
Rate this member

Report this Post08-28-2012 12:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for seajaiSend a Private Message to seajaiEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
There is a kit to make a 4wd subie trans into a 2wd for mid engine applications. http://www.bremarauto.com/p...-2wd-conversion-kit/ A little spendy tho...
engine man

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-28-2012 02:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for engine manSend a Private Message to engine manEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hmmm i have heard the Subaru transmission is really strong but mine bolts right up and the 6 speed 01E fwd from a 05-08 A4 is just as strong and Kennedy engineering makes engine adapter kits

[This message has been edited by engine man (edited 08-28-2012).]

PFF
System Bot
Will

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-28-2012 10:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Reallybig:

Alright, don't keep us guessing, what year would you suggest and what are that's engine's stats?

Any WRX (2.0) or STi (2.5) 4 cylinder or the 3.0 flat 6 from Outbacks and such (there are even some JDM versions of this engine that are pretty hot right out of the box--like 270 HP from a N/A 3.0.
The STi six speed converted to 2WD is the only realistic transmission option, though. It's the only Subaru stick strong enough to take abuse.
FieroWannaBe

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-28-2012 01:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroWannaBeSend a Private Message to FieroWannaBeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The 2009 WRX came eqiuped with a 5 speed box, (same as previous gen STI) and the 265HP 2.5 Turbo 4. That box is pretty stout, and easily convertable to 2wd with parts from subarugears.com. I am not aware that the 6 speed box can be converted with easy to order parts at this time.
Austrian Import

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-28-2012 07:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Austrian ImportSend a Private Message to Austrian ImportEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
engine man

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-29-2012 12:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for engine manSend a Private Message to engine manEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
wow that transmission is so long you would have to use the 4 cylinder and even then it might be sticking out past the bumper. I worked on the car a bit today and just cant seem to get it to go that last inch forward and cant see what is holding it from going in dam i just thought of something that stupid trunk spring hangs down next to the hinge.
engine man

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-29-2012 03:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for engine manSend a Private Message to engine manEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

engine man

5298 posts
Member since Mar 2006
Darn it the porsche Boxster cables are just to short it looks like i will try 1 more thing to try and make them work
355Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-29-2012 04:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 355FieroSend a Private Message to 355FieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
engine man;

Great build diary. I was looking through Joe's (motoracer838's) frame build up for the longitudinal engine orientation and his rear end framing would work very well in your application. You wouldn't lose any ground clearance as the tube running across is the same height as the original cross tube.

As for the Porsche shifter cables, I have seen lots of replica builders put a connection setup several inches forward of the oem locations where the stock cables reach and connect the trans levers to the extensions. The connection setup pretty much replicates the normal setup and uses straight rods to extend the position enough required to hook it all up.

Keep up the great work.

Cheers
Don
engine man

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-30-2012 02:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for engine manSend a Private Message to engine manEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Great idea with extension rods first i will try rerouting but if that doesn't work then i will do the rods
355Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-30-2012 02:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 355FieroSend a Private Message to 355FieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
A web site link to some build diaries for Diablos to give you some ideas for extensions if you need to go there.

Cheers
Don

http://lambolounge.com/Chas...ter/Audi-Shifter.asp
engine man

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-30-2012 04:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for engine manSend a Private Message to engine manEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Wow i got it but there is a hole now just behind the passenger seat for the cables thay will come out from the center console to exit out just behind the seat the carpet will cover it then they go between the alterator and alternator bracket the bracket need relieving for the cables . i have to relieve the hump that the fuel filler hose hides behind because the pulleys hits. 1 inch should be more than enough then it should all fit . it's not really hard to do but just allot of test fitting and cutting things out of the way
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 55 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20   21   22   23   24   25   26   27   28   29   30   31   32   33   34   35   36   37   38   39   40   41   42   43   44   45   46   47   48   49   50   51   52   53   54   55 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock