Pennock's Fiero Forum
  The Construction Zone
  Audi A8 My Fiero (Page 36)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 55 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20   21   22   23   24   25   26   27   28   29   30   31   32   33   34   35   36   37   38   39   40   41   42   43   44   45   46   47   48   49   50   51   52   53   54   55 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
Audi A8 My Fiero by engine man
Started on: 06-10-2012 12:09 PM
Replies: 2191 (103494 views)
Last post by: MarkS on 12-05-2023 09:49 AM
engine man

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-31-2017 09:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for engine manSend a Private Message to engine manEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
i am taking a brake from the car as i need to get my head clear so i can solve what ever the engine issue is
IP: Logged
DeLorean00

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 100
Rate this member

Report this Post05-31-2017 09:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DeLorean00Send a Private Message to DeLorean00Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Take your time man. You will work it out, you absolutely always do. This build is one nonstop challenge, you are doing something no one has done before and it is amazing.
engine man

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-02-2017 06:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for engine manSend a Private Message to engine manEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks it is hard for me to step back and take a break it makes me feel like it is winning and i hate to lose
engine man

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-03-2017 10:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for engine manSend a Private Message to engine manEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
well i think this dam thing washed down the cylinders and now i have low compression and that kills it starting i am seeing less than 100 psi on the compression test i am going to pour stp right in the cylinders to get a thick oil coating on the walls but i think it is toast
TommyRocker

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-03-2017 11:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TommyRockerSend a Private Message to TommyRockerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Not having great luck with ABZs
engine man

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-04-2017 12:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for engine manSend a Private Message to engine manEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
no i am not but i am buying the cheap ones from the yards from around me but there are no low millage engines and i have found that if they are left where water can get in the cylinders it really hurts the walls but this last engine was not it's fault but i washed it down with to much fuel as far as i can tell but it may not be hurt it might have just washed all the oil off the cylinder walls

engine man

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-05-2017 11:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for engine manSend a Private Message to engine manEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
good news bad news ok it looks like my original Audi V8 has a bad intake valve guide or seal and that was causing all the smoke as i can see oil in #1 intake port and the exhaust port is oily where all the others are not this engine was running when i pulled it from the fiero so it should be fine the engine in the fiero is not building enough compression is my thought as i can only get about 60 pounds unless i pour oil in the cylinder and that does not last for only a few cranks then it is back to 60 so i will pull some heads and get things swapped around and it all should run again
engine man

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-07-2017 03:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for engine manSend a Private Message to engine manEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
well today i bought a Chevy Vega Cosworth engine I am not really sure why other than i am nuts and just had to have it
MarkS

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-08-2017 03:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MarkSSend a Private Message to MarkSEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by engine man:

well today i bought a Chevy Vega Cosworth engine I am not really sure why other than i am nuts and just had to have it

Wow that brings back memories..what bellhousing pattern does it have- std Chevy?

------------------
86 SE V6 Auto
65 Tempest 400 CID
2008 G6 GT "Street" Coupe
2005 Buick 3.6 Rendezvous
2001 Olds Silhouette (AKA The Band Van)

engine man

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-08-2017 05:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for engine manSend a Private Message to engine manEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
not sure due to the starter mounts like a ford and not the small block chevy but i think it still is chevy bolt pattern
engine man

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-08-2017 06:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for engine manSend a Private Message to engine manEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

engine man

5298 posts
Member since Mar 2006
Ok i just got done reloading the firmware on the Megasquirt just in case that was messing up i just want to make sure before pulling the engine out that it is the engine as it would really suck to swap the engine and still have it not run
PFF
System Bot
engine man

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-09-2017 07:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for engine manSend a Private Message to engine manEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
reloading the firmware did not make it run so i will have to pull the engine as it must have either jumped timing on the cams or it washed down the cylinders and caused damage so it has low compression and since the compression comes up by putting some oil in the cylinder i think there is bad rings or cylinders
engine man

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-17-2017 06:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for engine manSend a Private Message to engine manEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
pulled the head off the old engine that i over heated and found this
engine man

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-17-2017 07:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for engine manSend a Private Message to engine manEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

engine man

5298 posts
Member since Mar 2006
i have found LA Sleeve has a listing for a 1/16 wall sleeve for the ABH engine it is T270c i am going to give them a call monday and see how much the sleeves are then all i need is a boring bar and i could sleeve the block times like this is when you wish you didn't sell your machine shop equipment

[This message has been edited by engine man (edited 06-17-2017).]

engine man

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-20-2017 07:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for engine manSend a Private Message to engine manEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
well i am going to try changing ecu as i was holding the throttle to full throttle and it started firing the injectors when the time before it worked right and didn't fire them at full throttle and i have not changed a dam thing on the ecu tune as far as that is concerned so i bought this from Egypt Sptronic http://www.sptronics.com/ i bought it on ebay it is really inexpensive
engine man

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-21-2017 10:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for engine manSend a Private Message to engine manEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
well i have the new ECU it cost just over $200 all shipped and runs megasquirt software and firmware
- 2x Deffrential Trigger inputs (Hall, VR and Opto).
- 4x High impedance injectors output 2.5A each.
- 4x Ignition output 1A max (5V or 12V)
- 4x dedicated analog input, coolant temperature, Intake air temperature, O2 sensor, Throttle position.
- Fuel pump output.
- Tachometer output (5V or 12V).
- 2/3 wire Idler control.
- Knocking input with adjustable gain.
- 2x analog/digital inputs.
- 3x 2.5A outputs.
- 4bar built in MAP sensor.
- Fully compatible with MSextra Software
- Fuel Table 16x16
- Ignition Table 12x12
- USB Conector
- Supports CAN Bus
- Can be connected as standalone or piggyback
- Dimensions 95mm x 104mm
Fuel table size
12x12 or 16x16

Fuel table resolution

1%

rpm resolution

1 rpm

Accel enrichment

Simple (TPS,MAP), Enhanced (wall-wetting)

Spark table size

12x12

Advance resolution (commanded)

0.1 deg

Injector phasing

Bank/batch fire,Semi sequential or 4cyl sequential

Injector timing

Timed within crank pulses or timed for start, middle, end of injection pulse

Injector trim

Mapped trim table per cylinder when running sequential.

Spark trim

Not adjustable

EDIS

Y

Distributor spark

Y

Trigger return dizzy

Y

Simple wheel decoding

Y

Every tooth wheel decoding

Y*

Wasted spark

Y

Coil on plug

Y

Dual dizzy

Y

Cam / 2nd tach input

Y

Number of spark outputs

Rotary trailing

Y

HEI7, GMDIS

Y (with bypass control)

TFI

Y

Oddfire wheel decoder

Y

Oddfire dizzy

Y

Neon/420A

Y

36-1+1

Y

36-2-2-2

Y

Subaru 6/7

Y

IAW Weber-Marelli

Y

Mitsubushi 6g72

Y

4/1 CAS

Y

4G63 (Miata)

Y

99-00 Miata

Y

Renix 44-2-2

Y

Twin trigger (aka. dual spark)

Y

Suzuki Swift

Y

Suzuki Vitara

Y (Untested!)

Daihatsu 3 cyl

Y (Unproven)

Daihatsu 4cyl

Y (Untested!)

Rover K Series 36-1-1

Y

Rover K Series 36-1-1-1-1

Y

Rover K Series 36-2-2

Y (Untested!)

Honda VTR1000 12-3

Y

Chrysler 2.2/2.5

Y

GM 7X native

Y

Nissan 360 tooth CAS

N/P>

Load methods

SD, AN, map/baro (load%), ITB

Load blending

Y

Load tables

Staged injection

Y

Over-run fuel cut

Y

Tachometer output

Y

Launch Control/flat shift

Y

Spark cut rev limit

Y

Dwell duty%

Y

Dwell battery correction

table of %ages

Cranking pulsewidth

table of %ages

Alternate cranking injection

Y

Specific cranking advance, dwell

Y

Fixed timing for setup

Y

Test mode

Pump, Inj, Coils, Idle

Closed loop idle control

Y

Boost control

Y (open or closed loop with PID control)

Nitrous control

Y (2 stage)

Knock sensor (software)

Y

Realtime barometric correction

Y

Water Injection

N

Table Switching

Y

Configurable outputs

Y

AFR target tables

Y

Dual fuel tables (per bank)

Y

Synchronous sensor sampling

Y

CAN communications

Y

Built in tooth/trigger loggers

Y (tooth, trigger, composite, sync-errror)

[This message has been edited by engine man (edited 06-21-2017).]

TommyRocker

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-21-2017 07:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TommyRockerSend a Private Message to TommyRockerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Wow that's very inexpensive, if it works out for you I might use it too.
engine man

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-21-2017 08:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for engine manSend a Private Message to engine manEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
yes i bought mine on ebay so they charged a bit more and i got the one that can do piggy back they sell one without that option for $160 on there web site plus shipping it took about a week for it to come
engine man

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-25-2017 07:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for engine manSend a Private Message to engine manEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have not been working on the car as i have had allot of work at the shop and i am installing another lift this weekend so i can earn more money for my hobby
engine man

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-30-2017 08:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for engine manSend a Private Message to engine manEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
tomorrow i am going to start to connect the new computer i hope to have it all ready by the end of Sunday i hope it works and the engine runs right then i can get the car out on the road
engine man

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-02-2017 02:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for engine manSend a Private Message to engine manEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
yesterday i didn't get to work on the car but today i did and the new ecm is hooking up nice there is more than enough wiring harness length and i like that it uses connectors on the ecm side of the harness that work better than the megasquirt in my opinion and this ecm uses megasquirt software and firmware
PFF
System Bot
engine man

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-03-2017 09:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for engine manSend a Private Message to engine manEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
tomorrow back at it i am hoping to finish up and every one have a great 4th of July and be safe

[This message has been edited by engine man (edited 07-03-2017).]

sourmash

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 50
User Banned

Report this Post07-04-2017 10:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sourmashSend a Private Message to sourmashEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Wonder what the length of the Audi V6 engine is, and how much better the shaft angle would be using it? Asking because of the bi-turbo stage III setups that are out there? I know that's not your direction but if someone was to follow your path with that it would be helpful to know.
engine man

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-05-2017 09:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for engine manSend a Private Message to engine manEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
the v6 you would have zero angle it would be short enough as i have looked at them
FIEROPHREK

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 137
Rate this member

Report this Post07-05-2017 02:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FIEROPHREKSend a Private Message to FIEROPHREKEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Engineman what is the axle angle you are running now?

------------------

ARCHIES JUNK IS FASTER THAN SHAUNNA'S JUNK

12.3 is faster than a 13.2

engine man

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-05-2017 06:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for engine manSend a Private Message to engine manEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
not sure as i have never really measured it but i would say 10 to 15 degrees
TommyRocker

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-13-2017 10:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TommyRockerSend a Private Message to TommyRockerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Any progress with this ECU?
engine man

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-13-2017 01:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for engine manSend a Private Message to engine manEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I had a problem with the ecu it stopped communicating with the laptop so i had to send it back for a repair i should have it back shortly as they are working on it i am not sure if i did something wrong when i was flashing firmware on it but it did happen right after i re-flashed the firmware
sourmash

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post07-13-2017 10:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sourmashSend a Private Message to sourmashEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just curious, what are the other current options for the Audi engine management? Do people utilize the stock one or is it too proprietary/unfriendly for swaps? The drive train is a nice layout for a mid engined car like the Fiero. Wonder if the Quattro 5-6 spds can be used as only front wheel drive?
engine man

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-14-2017 08:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for engine manSend a Private Message to engine manEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
yes you can use a stock ecu and have it reprogrammed and no on the quattro transmission but you can go with a 5hp19 automatic or there are more choices for standard i just picked the cheapest and i will more than likely blowup the transmission due to more torque than it can handle

[This message has been edited by engine man (edited 07-14-2017).]

sourmash

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post07-14-2017 07:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sourmashSend a Private Message to sourmashEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ok, thanks. I saw your earlier posting of manual trans cars. Seems that a manual from an 4.2 would better tolerate a bi turbo 6.
PFF
System Bot
engine man

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-15-2017 07:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for engine manSend a Private Message to engine manEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
well they have contacted me on the ecu and said they replaced the USB controller so now it connects to the laptop but after running for some time it is shutting down on them they said and they are getting that corrected for me i am glad they seem to be trying to make sure it is a top notch product for me and they are treating me great i have bought other electronics and they have not worked right and you try to get it repaired and it is a pain in the butt so i give them A++++ for the service and i am sure i will give them the same ratting on the product as i am sure it will work great once repaired.
engine man

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-18-2017 07:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for engine manSend a Private Message to engine manEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
well today i got news of what was wrong with the ECM i bought they said after looking at it it had a defective board oh well just another thing i am starting to wonder if this car will ever see the road i know i am a bit sick of chasing this crap !
engine man

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-19-2017 07:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for engine manSend a Private Message to engine manEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
well they said they have the new ecu and it Bluetooth is a option so i told them yes i want it at no cost to me
sourmash

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post07-23-2017 09:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for sourmashSend a Private Message to sourmashEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
PM sent.
drm101

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-23-2017 11:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for drm101Send a Private Message to drm101Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just bought an '88 GT a few weeks back. stumbled on your thread this morning and it's very impressive. It made me laugh when someone questioned why it's taking so long. Obviously someone who has never done an engine swap, let alone a supercharged Audi V8 into a mid-engine car. Hell, it took me 2 hours just to change the AC belt on mine. Anyway, can't thank you enough for the work you do and the fact that you and your colleagues post all this.
engine man

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-23-2017 02:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for engine manSend a Private Message to engine manEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
PM sent sourmash and thanks drm101 and there are a bunch of great folks on the forum with allot of talent
engine man

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-24-2017 09:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for engine manSend a Private Message to engine manEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
i am hoping to have the ecm back next week but i don't really think the engine will run as i think it just has low compression but who knows
engine man

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-26-2017 02:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for engine manSend a Private Message to engine manEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
ok repaired ecm is o it's way back i should have by the end of next week or the beginning of the week after
engine man

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-30-2017 07:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for engine manSend a Private Message to engine manEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
today i thought i better check the cam timing as i did put a new belt on before i installed the engine and though maybe i didn't get things tight so maybe it jumped timing but after checking it was all good all the timing marks lined up
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 55 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20   21   22   23   24   25   26   27   28   29   30   31   32   33   34   35   36   37   38   39   40   41   42   43   44   45   46   47   48   49   50   51   52   53   54   55 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock