Pennock's Fiero Forum
  The Construction Zone
  Audi A8 My Fiero (Page 22)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 55 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20   21   22   23   24   25   26   27   28   29   30   31   32   33   34   35   36   37   38   39   40   41   42   43   44   45   46   47   48   49   50   51   52   53   54   55 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
Audi A8 My Fiero by engine man
Started on: 06-10-2012 12:09 PM
Replies: 2191 (103366 views)
Last post by: MarkS on 12-05-2023 09:49 AM
engine man

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-17-2015 11:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for engine manSend a Private Message to engine manEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I keep looking at swaps and i see really nice swaps and cool ideas on how to get them to work but i keep hearing is how hard it is to do a swap even i thought it would be harder than what it was but i have not found my swap to be hard to do so i cant imagine what could be hard about some of the swaps maybe its just me and it's just the norm for me
IP: Logged
engine man

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-18-2015 08:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for engine manSend a Private Message to engine manEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I let my friend and his son take my Fiero yesterday to try it out and so i could hear what it sounded like when he got after it getting on the highway and i do have to say it has one of the best exhaust notes i have heard so i cant put a turbo on the car and mess that up so i will use the supercharger i have
engine man

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-22-2015 02:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for engine manSend a Private Message to engine manEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I just replaced 4 coils 1 i knew that was bad due to checking it and the others i suspect where week due to the spark plug color now she sings on all 8 . now i have 6 new coils and 2 original coils

[This message has been edited by engine man (edited 04-22-2015).]

engine man

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-23-2015 07:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for engine manSend a Private Message to engine manEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
today a pair of coil covers showed up today so now it will look better i will have pics of it tomorrow
engine man

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-25-2015 02:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for engine manSend a Private Message to engine manEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
todays car show pics

[This message has been edited by engine man (edited 04-25-2015).]

Will

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 237
Rate this member

Report this Post04-25-2015 08:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You need one of Infinite Will's GT decklid seals more than I do.
engine man

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-25-2015 09:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for engine manSend a Private Message to engine manEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Lol yes I do
engine man

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-26-2015 05:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for engine manSend a Private Message to engine manEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
? to those who do tunning as i am driving on the highway at around 2500 rpm the engine seems to cut out or buck what do you think is happening to lean or what
engine man

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-28-2015 07:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for engine manSend a Private Message to engine manEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
wheels i like from F1R Model F23
engine man

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-09-2015 07:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for engine manSend a Private Message to engine manEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
went to the car show today had some fun i all so got the new wideband O2 and i had to cut the plug off the old O2 and the new O2 and wire the plug on and i plugged it in to test it now it works it shows full lean with key on engine not running now i just need to solder the wires up from the old plug and new O2 . I got the coolant expansion tank and i need to install that so i can get rid of the coolant hose across the top of the engine
engine man

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-10-2015 12:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for engine manSend a Private Message to engine manEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
thought i would show how i was shown how to solder wires together .
ok you don't twist the wires together like this

the right way is wrapping them around each other like this

then solder them together getting the wire hot so it will melt the solder

it should look something like this when done

and finished with shrink tube on it

remember to cut out any bad corroded wire and splice in good wire
PFF
System Bot
Will

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-10-2015 07:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I used to do that, but nowadays I use uninsulated crimp butt splices and clear shrink tube. It's much easier on your fingertips than twisting and bending lots of wires and has a much lower likelihood of getting burned... and seals/lasts just as well as a soldered connection without the risk of fatigue failure due to solder wicking.
engine man

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-10-2015 08:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for engine manSend a Private Message to engine manEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I never had good luck with crimp style connectors but i never used the uninsulated crimps
weaselbeak

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 76
Rate this member

Report this Post05-10-2015 11:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for weaselbeakSend a Private Message to weaselbeakEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I take regular insulated connectors (I have a ton of them), wire wheel the plastic off, crimp and solder along with shrink wrap. Fantastic connections.
Taijiguy

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 244
Rate this member

Report this Post05-11-2015 09:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TaijiguySend a Private Message to TaijiguyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm curious about soldering the wires together on the O2 sensor. I just bought a universal O2 for my Subi that came with a convoluted splice mechanism. I wasn't going to use it, and was just going to solder them like you did, but the instructions that came with the sensor specifically stated that you should use their splice system, saying there needs to be air flow around the wires, and to not solder splice with heat shrink. That sure didn't make any sense to me, but I took their word for it and went ahead and used their splice thing.
Anyone know anything about that?

[This message has been edited by Taijiguy (edited 05-11-2015).]

engine man

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-11-2015 09:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for engine manSend a Private Message to engine manEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
i have used those before and they work well but i don't get why they wouldn't want you to solder the wires i know my O2 works just fine
engine man

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-12-2015 12:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for engine manSend a Private Message to engine manEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
oops

[This message has been edited by engine man (edited 05-12-2015).]

Neils88

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 56
Rate this member

Report this Post05-13-2015 07:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Neils88Send a Private Message to Neils88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Taijiguy:

I'm curious about soldering the wires together on the O2 sensor. I just bought a universal O2 for my Subi that came with a convoluted splice mechanism. I wasn't going to use it, and was just going to solder them like you did, but the instructions that came with the sensor specifically stated that you should use their splice system, saying there needs to be air flow around the wires, and to not solder splice with heat shrink. That sure didn't make any sense to me, but I took their word for it and went ahead and used their splice thing.
Anyone know anything about that?

Do you have a picture of the splice? I'm intrigued...but can't see any reason why that would be better than a heat shrunk / solder connection.

engine man

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-16-2015 09:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for engine manSend a Private Message to engine manEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
coolant hose moved and expansion tank installed

engine man

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-16-2015 10:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for engine manSend a Private Message to engine manEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

engine man

5298 posts
Member since Mar 2006
i just found a set of quarter windows with scoops that the fiero store use to sell the have a tinted insert i am trying to buy them
seajai

Feedback score:    (42)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 52
Rate this member

Report this Post05-17-2015 08:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for seajaiSend a Private Message to seajaiEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by engine man:

coolant hose moved and expansion tank installed

That looks better, now you need to work on that intake hose. If you move the battery up front, you could use that area to route the intake hose and filter.

PFF
System Bot
engine man

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-17-2015 11:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for engine manSend a Private Message to engine manEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Funny you saying that i was just talking to my brother how i need to do something with the intake as i feel the stock one is restrictive i can see the hose contracting when i rev it up like it is under vacuum
seajai

Feedback score:    (42)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 52
Rate this member

Report this Post05-17-2015 08:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for seajaiSend a Private Message to seajaiEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by engine man:

Funny you saying that i was just talking to my brother how i need to do something with the intake as i feel the stock one is restrictive i can see the hose contracting when i rev it up like it is under vacuum

I used 3-1/2" exhaust pipe to build mine. I pie cut pieces and welded them together to make the curves. The connectors are shielded rubber plumbing pipe connectors.

engine man

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-19-2015 04:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for engine manSend a Private Message to engine manEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well i would like some new wheel but cant afford them so i am fixing up the old wheel i have done striped the old clear coat off and started to sand and polish the outer lip i will also repaint the centers maybe the same color as the car
engine man

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-21-2015 09:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for engine manSend a Private Message to engine manEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
i just bough some blue metalcast for the wheel i will leave the outside ring polished and paint the centers and spokes
engine man

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-23-2015 07:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for engine manSend a Private Message to engine manEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
well i finished the wheels after 8 hours

engine man

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-25-2015 09:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for engine manSend a Private Message to engine manEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I went to Newport NH Cruise Night put on by Car Nutz and met the parents of OneSexyFiero the where nice and i am sure i will be calling them for a few parts and i hope to see there Fiero out at the cruise nights

[This message has been edited by engine man (edited 05-25-2015).]

onesexyfiero

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-28-2015 07:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for onesexyfieroSend a Private Message to onesexyfieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Heard you ran into my parents. Said you've got a pretty nice setup. I've got a ton of parts down at my parents place, so let me know if you need anything. I'll definitely need to hit a Newport cruise night or two this summer.
engine man

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-28-2015 08:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for engine manSend a Private Message to engine manEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
ya i am going to need the driver side round trim from the back of the door to the wheel opening do you have that if so how much and can you have your parents bring it next week to Newport and i hope to see you there with a car it will be fun

[This message has been edited by engine man (edited 05-28-2015).]

onesexyfiero

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-29-2015 10:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for onesexyfieroSend a Private Message to onesexyfieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
No round trim to spare, unfortunately. I'm sure I'll run into you at some point. They do an end of the year "mega cruise." I usually make it to that.
engine man

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-30-2015 10:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for engine manSend a Private Message to engine manEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well i started to work on the car body today and got the driver side rocker on right and i removed the GT panels on the bottom of the doors now i need to fill the holes
PFF
System Bot
engine man

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-04-2015 08:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for engine manSend a Private Message to engine manEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
put new front Fascia on I need to work on the hood the front edge needs to be sanded so there is a gap and the back will still lineup

Will

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-06-2015 07:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I hope that was cheap.
engine man

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-06-2015 08:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for engine manSend a Private Message to engine manEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
well Will Beauty is in the eye of the beholder as they say i think it looks good and thats all that matters just like the rest of this build it really doesn't matter what any one thinks as i have proven i could do what allot said could not be done and the axle would not work with that much angle but they do so i get the last laugh to those naysayers

[This message has been edited by engine man (edited 06-06-2015).]

Neils88

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 56
Rate this member

Report this Post06-06-2015 08:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Neils88Send a Private Message to Neils88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I like it! It'll look great once it's painted.
engine man

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-06-2015 09:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for engine manSend a Private Message to engine manEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
thanks Neils88 I know that it is not for every one just like my engine choice
engine man

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-07-2015 06:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for engine manSend a Private Message to engine manEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I tried to lean my idle mixture out but the idle starts hunting it seem to work best at 11.5 AFR as soon as i start leaning it out then it all turns to sh!t. I did take it out on the high way and let the computer do its thing and lean out at cruising speed so it should be better on gas but it really needs to go on a dyno so it can be tuned through out the full rpm
Will

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-07-2015 08:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Sequential? Have you played with injection timing? Since air velocity is low at idle, getting good atomization depends on introducing the fuel when the air velocity is highest.

Did you try setting fixed ignition timing (e.g. 10 degrees for idle tuning) before you play with the AFR?

Also... does that engine have variable cam phasing? The 3.0 V6 from 2002 does, even though it uses a timing belt as well.

[This message has been edited by Will (edited 06-07-2015).]

engine man

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-07-2015 08:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for engine manSend a Private Message to engine manEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
no variable cam phasing and is batch fire with the megasquirt and i have done it like they said and they say if you get to lean the idle will hunt it just is what it is i get a nice smooth idle at the 11.5 just thought i might be able to go leaner
engine man

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-13-2015 11:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for engine manSend a Private Message to engine manEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
? do any of you know of a way to repair the bumpers on the fiero mine has a bunch spider cracks is there something i can paint it with to cover them after i get all the old paint off or do i need a whole new rear bumper cover due to the cracks will just come back up through the paint
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 55 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20   21   22   23   24   25   26   27   28   29   30   31   32   33   34   35   36   37   38   39   40   41   42   43   44   45   46   47   48   49   50   51   52   53   54   55 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock