Pennock's Fiero Forum
  The Construction Zone
  CHOPTOP CHRONICLES (Page 8)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 37 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20   21   22   23   24   25   26   27   28   29   30   31   32   33   34   35   36   37 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
CHOPTOP CHRONICLES by madcurl
Started on: 04-11-2004 08:47 PM
Replies: 1450 (108036 views)
Last post by: Thegayguy1 on 02-11-2024 04:58 PM
madcurl

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 314
Rate this member

Report this Post04-30-2006 11:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I wonder what DL10 been doing lately? When was the last time you took the choptop out for a quick drive?

(old pic)

Today in CA, it was nice and sunny.

Edit: I own this page, hehe.

[This message has been edited by madcurl (edited 04-30-2006).]

IP: Logged
engine man

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-01-2006 12:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for engine manSend a Private Message to engine manEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hi i am doing my own chop top when you make the windows out of lex due you put the bend in them or just leave them flat i hope to get the body done by the end of this week if i get the parts i orderd from a few people if I dont get them this week i will be real mad due to i havent seen the parts after 1 month from the day they where ordered ok enough with the venting my car is going to get a engine swap it is a old nascar bush seires V6 engine with solid lifter roller cam alum heads bowtie block forged odd fire crank carrilo rods je forged pistons and i might put a holey projection on it but not sure i think that will make the engine more street worthy

[This message has been edited by engine man (edited 05-01-2006).]

madcurl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-01-2006 01:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by engine man:

Hi i am doing my own chop top when you make the windows out of lex due you put the bend in them or just leave them flat

I believe Orville and F355 (later custom real glass) has ordered them before. I might be wrong but, I believe it's curved already?

https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/047891.html
jscott1

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 415
Rate this member

Report this Post05-01-2006 09:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The lexan comes flat, has to be curved.
Sharkman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-03-2006 03:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SharkmanSend a Private Message to SharkmanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Took my car out for the first time this year.

Had the yearly inspection from the goverment and got one thing that I have too goo back and show. I forgot too tighten the parking brake wire when I worked on the brakes this winter. (Still Fiero brakes...) The guy that tested my car took 2 laps around the testing area. Nice car he said.

Also. I stoped at a friends job and had a coffe. When we where sitting there in the sun talking we saw a guy on his bike almost run of the road when turning his head too watch my car as he past it.

------------------
Regards SHARKMAN
86 GT, 3.4 Camaro engine,
choptop # 1 in Europe/Sweden

[This message has been edited by Sharkman (edited 05-03-2006).]

madcurl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-03-2006 05:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Sharkman:
Had the yearly inspection from the goverment. When we where sitting there in the sun talking we saw a guy on his bike almost run of the road when turning his head too watch my car as he past it.

hehe.

Hey Sharkman, what is the cost for your government inspection?
Sharkman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-03-2006 06:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SharkmanSend a Private Message to SharkmanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It´s about $38 for the first and because I need too go back it´s $19 more
madcurl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-06-2006 08:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Kissing Thy Earth:

There it was, a concrete block sitting dead center in the road and no way of avoiding it. I tightened my ass sphincter muscles waiting for the inevitable. Flashes of fluids ran through my mind, Oil pressure, gas, and radiator----then! Just a slight scrape as the cement block rolled under my undercarriage. I look at my review mirror expecting black trails following me but, nothing. I starred at my gauges.... nothing. As I parked my ride inside the garage, only the front bottom center nose was scratched. I know if I was driving my chop tops with a lowered chin spoiler it be gone. Thank goodness for a modified front spoiler and for those who used the Fiero nose piece.
madcurl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-12-2006 05:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
A Good day to dust of #015 and head to North Hollywood or La, la land?

Not! It was strictly a business trip to La, La land and I was thinking about pulling out #015? Since the area that I was going to was uncharted lands and unfamiliar to me, at the last minute I said, "nah." I'm glad I didn't cause I nearly got rear ended while on I-5 while in a construction zone. The speed limit was 55 with CHP's patrolling the area. The lady in the Nissan Altama was going maybe 80 mph and suddenly she saw that everyone was going slow and decided to hit the brakes. Granted, she could have moved over to the two fast passing lanes? She nearly lost it as her car's front-end dips and the tail end slipped out. She would have hit me if I didn't step on the gas. The last time that happened to me was in the chopper in AK or GA? In that case I got on the gas and the N* propelled me out of his way. However, the darn GST is so slow I doubt I have enough power to get out of the way plus I was in 5th gear and I wasn't clear if she was going to pass at the last minute. On my way back from Hollywood another lady in a Saturn 2-door decided to cut me off near Magic Mountain...twice!

[This message has been edited by madcurl (edited 05-12-2006).]

Sharkman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-12-2006 06:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SharkmanSend a Private Message to SharkmanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I know what you mean. There are a lot of people that should use the bus instead of driving.
madcurl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-12-2006 07:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I know what you mean. There are a lot of people that should use the bus instead of driving.

Ironic that the day of protest on Monday, I-5 freeway might be the safest place to drive? Oh yeah, The lady driving the Saturn was talking to herself or maybe using a "hands-free" phone? In any case, I thought something was up so I keep my eyes on her. After she had passed the solid white line and it begain to form a tri-angular shape I guessed I was in the "clear" but....no. I even seen a tow truck guy nearly pass the exit and made v-line aross 4-lanes to reach the exit even though there was plenty of traffic.
PFF
System Bot
Gokart Mozart

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 159
Rate this member

Report this Post05-12-2006 10:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gokart MozartClick Here to visit Gokart Mozart's HomePageSend a Private Message to Gokart MozartEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

You just have to be aware who's driving the bus, tho...
madcurl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-14-2006 03:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Stay Tuned, Good news concerning a choptop owner!
jscott1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-14-2006 05:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well, the number one question..."what kind of car is that?"

And the number one point of interest...

not the chop, not the mazda blue, not the wheels, (well they aren't installed yet anyway)

But everyone is amazed that a Cadillac V8 fits in the back of a Fiero.

It might be slow by PFF and RFT standards, but it does generate interest at an all makes and models show.

Resulting in me walking away with this:

exoticse

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 108
Rate this member

Report this Post05-14-2006 07:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for exoticseSend a Private Message to exoticseEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Congratulations Jscott1,

The first of many trophies to come.
Jim88GT

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-14-2006 07:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jim88GTSend a Private Message to Jim88GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Congrats!! Way to Go!!

Jim
troyboy

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post05-14-2006 07:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for troyboySend a Private Message to troyboyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Congratulations!!
madcurl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-14-2006 09:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The people who did not "know"' what type of car it was and not "knowing" it was chopped, means that for the general public the car look "stock"...which is a good thing.

[This message has been edited by madcurl (edited 05-14-2006).]

Sharkman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-15-2006 02:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SharkmanSend a Private Message to SharkmanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Congrats. I hope too get one this weekend...
jscott1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-15-2006 05:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by madcurl:

The people who did not "know"' what type of car it was and not "knowing" it was chopped, means that for the general public the car look "stock"...which is a good thing.

Yeah, we've talked before about the rear lights...I kind of like the stock light setup and the look on people's face when they see "Pontiac" is priceless. I could go to a Ferrarri like round light setup, but I think it would take something away from the car. Even now most people think it's a Lotus, or some other European car.
madcurl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-15-2006 05:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jscott1:

Yeah, we've talked before about the rear lights...I kind of like the stock light setup and the look on people's face when they see "Pontiac" is priceless. I could go to a Ferrarri like round light setup, but I think it would take something away from the car. Even now most people think it's a Lotus, or some other European car.

It would be very interesting if someone took their choptop Fiero to a Pontiac dealership and see the general public reaction...even next to a Soltisce? I wouldn't be surprised it a few thought it was a new model. I've always said that the best comments was when un-informed public thought the chopper was a newer car.
PFF
System Bot
88White3.4GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-15-2006 06:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 88White3.4GTSend a Private Message to 88White3.4GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
nice prize
madcurl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-15-2006 06:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ahh...wait a minute. I forgot my choptop experience, hehe.

At work a guy saw me lurking the Ebay Lamborghini sales and commented on the cost of owning them. We chuckled at the repairs and if someone wrecked one of those puppies. He later asked if I'm the guy who owns a Fiero in town? This guy no doubt had been looking at my car for some time and knew something about the Fiero. Using his hand gustures in a down-like motion he asked, "Isn't it chopped"? I said, "Yes. It is."

He then went on to say, "That's the way GM should have made the car....chopped. He also remembered how good it handled (I'm guessing he was referring to the 88?). Anyway, I asked him, was it a silver or red Fiero he seen me driving? To my surprise, he said it was the Silver Fiero. Yeah, #011 and I hadn't driven that in town since the rains in CA. I quickly went to my "favorites" and he was "all eyes and ears." He hadn't seen #015 nor The Redux. 15 minutes later, I had to go back to work.
Sharkman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-21-2006 09:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SharkmanSend a Private Message to SharkmanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I was going home from the show this weekend and a real nice Audi A4 past me real fast. I followed him and saw a WW Golf IV in my rear mirror trying too keep up. After about 50km I slowed down and let the WW Golf pass me. When he was next too me his friend in the passanger seat pulled up at camera and did the tumbs up and took a picture.

I did get alot of good responce from people at the show but I need too have some pics and text soo the judges know about the chop.
exoticse

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-27-2006 01:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for exoticseSend a Private Message to exoticseEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Should be some exciting new stories soon from DR.Cpu, choptop #23 owner.

madcurl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-27-2006 04:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Was there a "build-up" thread on #023? Nice beefie rotors.
exoticse

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-27-2006 07:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for exoticseSend a Private Message to exoticseEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by madcurl:

Was there a "build-up" thread on #023? Nice beefie rotors.

Just an occasional picture or two from Archie on the what's up at Archie thread. CPU did post some pics also on a link or site he had.
madcurl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-27-2006 08:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by exoticse:

Just an occasional picture or two from Archie on the what's up at Archie thread. CPU did post some pics also on a link or site he had.

I wonder if CPU driving the car back to Canada? I know I would, hehe.

DrCPU

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-01-2006 09:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DrCPUSend a Private Message to DrCPUEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well, it's been about a week since I've been driving around in the TAZ with the chop - and let me say that there is no shortgage of gaukers and questions.

Everyone at work really likes the new look. Most do not recognise the Fiero anymore. Since the conversion and engine upgrade the original emblem fell off the front facia - so from the front there is nothing to say what car it is. Yeah I know, the headlight covers do say pontiac - but you've gotta look close.

The main comment I get is - does that ever look like a Lotus Esprit.

Other than the rear quarter windows it does have similar lines.

This morning while stoping to get a @Tim Horton's coffee near work - Man I gotta do something so I can carry a coffee while shifting - a couple of guys came out and asked...

Did you cut the roof line down? It took me several minutes to explain what had been done... When I started TAZ up there was nothing but smiles from all!

I also showed the conversion to the mechanics who do all the repairs of the heavy equipment for the City and they when I drove by and stopped - they all said in unison -

"Must be a small block Chevy! They inspected the car and said the chop was very well done. They correctly mentioned the front glass had been "laid" back and were very impressed with Archie's work.

That's it for now. I'll post more as I get'em.

Dave

PS I drove the last 120km - London to my place last Saturday. I trailer queen'd from Archie's to London, Ontario.

[This message has been edited by DrCPU (edited 06-01-2006).]

madcurl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-01-2006 12:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by DrCPU:
The main comment I get is - does that ever look like a Lotus Esprit. Other than the rear quarter windows it does have similar lines. This morning while stoping to get a @Tim Horton's coffee near work - Man I gotta do something so I can carry a coffee while shifting - a couple of guys came out and asked. "Must be a small block Chevy!

A Small Block Chevy comments, hehe. Funny how that reminds me of the old tv V8 drink commerical, "I coulda had a V8." If you park the car and go inside the coffee shop, within a few minutes you'll notice a crowd gathering around your chop'r. Can you imagine once it's painted? WOW!!!

engine man

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-01-2006 12:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for engine manSend a Private Message to engine manEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I gota get my chop done so i can go out and have some fun
PFF
System Bot
exoticse

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-01-2006 02:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for exoticseSend a Private Message to exoticseEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by engine man:

I gota get my chop done so i can go out and have some fun

Ditto.

[This message has been edited by exoticse (edited 06-01-2006).]

DrCPU

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-02-2006 11:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DrCPUSend a Private Message to DrCPUEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I stopped by Canadian Tire yesterday to pick up new wipers for the TAZ.

While parking, all eyes were on her! I guy next to me - with his wife - says "What kind of car is that? - It reminds me of my old Pontiac 88 GT Fiero!". I had to laugh as I'd have thought that anyone who once owned one - would never be able to forget it. When I told him what I had done, his wife says "Holy Crap!". He told me how much fun he had with his - even with the V6 and said out loud (right next to his wife) that he HAD to sell it when he got married (teeheee). She looked at him like she was going to whack him upside the head. Gotta love it.

Fate had it that he ended up behind me in line at the check out and couldn't stop talking about the "old days". Instant buddy maker the TAZ is!

Dave
madcurl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-09-2006 06:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I Got Three Choppers on My Back:

While heading to Bakersfield CA, it was hot as heck so I decided to wear my choptop T-shirt while getting my 305/25/20 tire mounted. I had to wait until the top notch tire installer was finishing up his earlier job. Twenty minutes later, he was about to proceed. The big guy (co-owner) came out to inspect my rim and told installer guy, "We need to inspect this wheel very carefully cause, it cost too much to replace."

Several people gathered around during the inspection and all eyes was on the installer.....and so was me! A customer asked, "What type of car does those wheel go onto"? I turned my back to him and pointed. He said, "Oh, a Lamborghini." Although the T-shirt states, "Fiero" some how the image of the three choppers may have confused him??? A teenage kid was also confused but wanted to know why didn't drive the Lamborghini into the shop for a tire change. I told him, "I didn't have enough room in the back so I drove my convertable.

A pic of the T-shirt.

madcurl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-10-2006 04:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Last Thursday I decided to take #015 for a quick spin however, the battery was low. So while the battery was being recharged I popped the doors, sat in, smelled the sweet leather and dreamt of D7. I called Troyboy and talked about rollin to D7, the reunion, and tire inventory.

[This message has been edited by madcurl (edited 06-10-2006).]

exoticse

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-10-2006 05:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for exoticseSend a Private Message to exoticseEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Pictures from behind the doors of Madcurl's DUBs hideout:

MclarenF1

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-14-2006 01:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MclarenF1Click Here to visit MclarenF1's HomePageSend a Private Message to MclarenF1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Is that a HRE wheel just lyin' around? Wish I had stuff like that to pile up...
exoticse

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-14-2006 09:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for exoticseSend a Private Message to exoticseEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by MclarenF1:

Is that a HRE wheel just lyin' around? Wish I had stuff like that to pile up...

Yep.

Madcurl has several sets. Here is a fresh pic from just a day or so ago of one being polished up.

DrCPU

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-14-2006 01:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DrCPUSend a Private Message to DrCPUEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just a quick update on some of the comments I received on the London run last weekend.

All members really loved the chop. Each agreed the work was top notch. Bob (highly customised 88'gt) was really looking at it as an option to his pimped out SC3800/NOS.

At the drag strip even the motor heads came strolling by non-chalantly to as what I'd done.

I think the biggest compliment to Archie is that around 50% of neophites who know little or nothing of Fieros as why the rear quarter panels are not painted and asked what king of accident I had. Several of these individuals metioned they used to own Fieros. When I replied I did not have an accident and that the roof was chopped 3" they'd step back - look at it again and then not know what to say. When I was parked next to the regular 88'GTs the change was obvious.

Archie, I'm sure you'll get number 25,26,27 etc form owners who've seen the work up close.

Hey - do I get some kinda commission?

Dave
madcurl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-14-2006 06:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
DUB Adventure: My Visit to Custom Auto in Oakland, CA.

I was stollin' through "candyland" while exotic rims rolled beneath my feet. They're were PIAA's and Foose rims running amuck throughout playland. I saw a few caged HRE's locked behind a glass display beggin me to let them loose so they could play footies with my choptop. Near the wall mounted display I saw a large HRE 22" greyish beast laying on it's belly so I walked over to stroked it.

As I begain to lift the beast, I tightened my (under worked) six pack so as-to not break my back during my last visit trying to lift a 22" 75Ib tire/rim years ago. To my surprised the greyish 22" HRE beast contained Titianium teeths. As I rolled it over on it's back I saw 50 or more titanium bolts and nuts which attributed to it's lightness. After 10-minutes, I moved onto the PIAA's. I can't recall the name but, they were very light weight with very phat lips. However, the PIAA's are offered in 18"s only of our Fieros. I didn't see any Mayas running around in "candyland" but I'm sure Jim can order-up the beast.

A caged HRE was puzzeling me.....hmm? What type of beast is this? I asked Jim and he didn't know. Hmm....? I called back today and I haven't yet got the answer. Maybe it's a new type of beast???

I left "Candyland" without loosing my wallet to those caged beasts but, I left my 547 with Jim for measurements. The 547 boxed and caged for a special event, hehe.

Okay, back to the racing hehe.
http://www.dropshots.com/videolink.php?userid=109491&cdate=20060529&ctime=230940&showVideo=1

[This message has been edited by madcurl (edited 06-14-2006).]

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 37 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20   21   22   23   24   25   26   27   28   29   30   31   32   33   34   35   36   37 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock