Pennock's Fiero Forum
  The Construction Zone
  CHOPTOP CHRONICLES (Page 28)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 37 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20   21   22   23   24   25   26   27   28   29   30   31   32   33   34   35   36   37 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
CHOPTOP CHRONICLES by madcurl
Started on: 04-11-2004 08:47 PM
Replies: 1450 (108038 views)
Last post by: Thegayguy1 on 02-11-2024 04:58 PM
madcurl

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 314
Rate this member

Report this Post03-11-2011 12:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by exoticse:

Something brewing over in Virginia, besides choptop #10 ???

Look in the background,...looks like a clone of Madcurl's choptop #20 going on !

Like I've said many of times. Why buy a Ferrari or lamborghini replica when you can modify a choptop Fiero.

------------------

"Friends don't let their friends drive stock."

IP: Logged
ferrobi

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-11-2011 01:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ferrobiSend a Private Message to ferrobiEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

[This message has been edited by ferrobi (edited 03-11-2011).]

madcurl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-11-2011 01:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Reason #1: Never bolt on someone's part. Always tweak it first.

Reason #2: be unique (go back to rule #1). Make the part your own.

Reason #3: Strict rules and guidlines do not apply for those who use their creative thinking and skills. Any questions go back to rule #1 & #2.
ferrobi

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-11-2011 02:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ferrobiSend a Private Message to ferrobiEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

madcurl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-11-2011 07:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

One of my baddest and favorite choptop Fieros. It just kills me inside that Car-Lo has stopped working on the ride. This is truely one unique Fiero that is different.

[This message has been edited by madcurl (edited 03-11-2011).]

ferrobi

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-11-2011 07:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ferrobiSend a Private Message to ferrobiEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

exoticse

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 108
Rate this member

Report this Post03-12-2011 02:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for exoticseSend a Private Message to exoticseEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Outlaw customs working on not one, but two Mad Arch widebody choptops !

The one with the hatchback belongs to the shop's owner, the other to one of his employees. This is the same shop that just painted Jim88gt's choptop.

[This message has been edited by exoticse (edited 03-12-2011).]

madcurl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-13-2011 01:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

whodeanie

Feedback score:    (14)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 120
Rate this member

Report this Post03-13-2011 08:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for whodeanieClick Here to visit whodeanie's HomePageSend a Private Message to whodeanieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
the Rotten chop, in progress.

and the motor for it.

troyboy

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post03-13-2011 12:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for troyboySend a Private Message to troyboyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by whodeanie:

the Rotten chop, in progress.

and the motor for it.

looking good
exoticse

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-15-2011 11:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for exoticseSend a Private Message to exoticseEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Wow,.....

Troy's amazing tweekism of his V-8 Archie dash,..........

has me Mad thinking and tinkering with my own V-8 Archie dash kit....

This thing will look completely different when i am done.

Stay tuned.

[This message has been edited by exoticse (edited 03-15-2011).]

PFF
System Bot
madcurl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-15-2011 11:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
#010-freshly painted.

troyboy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-16-2011 07:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for troyboySend a Private Message to troyboyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

has me Mad thinking and tinkering with my own V-8 Archie dash kit....

This thing will look completely different when i am done.

Stay tuned.

That sounds great Tony, I can't wait. I love when people think out side the box and turn what's old into what's new.
PerKr

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-18-2011 04:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PerKrClick Here to visit PerKr's HomePageSend a Private Message to PerKrEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by madcurl:

Hey, Who you callin a mutt?

I go into a local Chevy dealership in Morgan Hill CA to check-out the new 2005 Corvette lights. One of the sales person trys to get me to buy a 54g Vette. The mark-up is nearly 7-9 g's. "Yeah, right." was my response to that. Anyway he asks why I'm getting 2005 Vette lights w/o having one? I guess he thought I was going to change over to them on a older Vette, I guess?

I was cousious at first.......I was having fashback of talking to Ferrari dealers. They want your sperm count and DNA just to buy the emblems. I tell them it's for a Pontiac Fiero. The young kid didn't know what that was. I showed him a phone pic. He notice the Z06 brakes and the body. I guess he liked it but I'm a "no-sell" person to him. Next.

I went inside and another guy inquired. I did the same thing but his response was, "so it's a mutt, right? Parts from various cars." I'm like, "yeah I guess you can say that." "Some of the parts orginally where from different cars." He was somewhat shocked that Fiero owners install them. I was nice and didn't respond with a verbal attack, hehehehe. I got a discount so I had to be nice, hehehehe. After I get my headlights, I'll then tell him whats on my mind.

He asked me to stop bye with the Fiero. EDIT: Oh yeah, none of them notice that it was chopped.

Maybe the guy was simply a guitarist, in which case the term "mutt" is not really an insult (just an easier way of saying "I took this out of that and that out of this and combined them with those out of these"). Heck, my mutt is competing for the #1 spot in my guitar arsenal :-) The term "mutt" seems applicable as soon as we replace the engine and transmission.
Tuna Helper

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-20-2011 01:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Tuna HelperSend a Private Message to Tuna HelperEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If you want to see a true mutt head over to a hardcore 4x4 forum. They swap out everything but the frame and body and still call it a Jeep or Scout or whatever.
exoticse

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-05-2011 02:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for exoticseSend a Private Message to exoticseEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
While honeymooning out in California, in Madcurl's area, i think i ran across one of his business ventures.....hehehe

BTW Curly thanks for the tips on where to go, the eats here were pretty darned good !

[This message has been edited by exoticse (edited 05-05-2011).]

exoticse

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-09-2011 03:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for exoticseSend a Private Message to exoticseEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Man i think all the choptops out there are laid up under construction.

[This message has been edited by exoticse (edited 05-09-2011).]

BlackThunderGT

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-09-2011 03:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlackThunderGTSend a Private Message to BlackThunderGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Soon there will be one more under construction.
joshua riedl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-09-2011 06:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for joshua riedlSend a Private Message to joshua riedlEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

i've been driving mine.
troyboy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-09-2011 07:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for troyboySend a Private Message to troyboyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by joshua riedl:

i've been driving mine.

Me too
joshua riedl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-09-2011 07:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for joshua riedlSend a Private Message to joshua riedlEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yeah, orange chop tops look too good to leave in the garage.
PFF
System Bot
Jim88GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-09-2011 07:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jim88GTSend a Private Message to Jim88GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Sent Curley pics of #10 at a show last weekend.

Jim
madcurl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-09-2011 10:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Jim88GT:

Sent Curley pics of #10 at a show last weekend.

Jim

I finally got home today. I'll post the pictures now.

#010 first pics after our wet winter.

I'm spotting 2-LS series here...

[This message has been edited by madcurl (edited 05-09-2011).]

Jim88GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-10-2011 08:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jim88GTSend a Private Message to Jim88GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by madcurl:

I'm spotting 2-LS series here...

Soon to be 3 - Bob is getting an LS3/6 spd in the white 88 as well!

Jim
KVCFIERO

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-18-2011 10:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for KVCFIEROSend a Private Message to KVCFIEROEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I saw my first choptop Fiero and it was in person not a picture. I saw this add for a 2.8 out of an 88 Fiero and thought this is about two hours from me but looks like a good deal. It was still in the car so I could hear it run. Even better deal. I never dreamed when I would get there and the guy opened the garage door. I would see a choptop Fiero. My mouth went to the floor. The T Tops were off and the windshield was out but it looked like no Fiero I had ever seen. I wanted to take pictures but he would not let me. I thought about snapping a shot when he was not looking with my cell but he was a nice guy so I respected his wishes. He told me he was putting a Sebring windshield in it. After seeing this car it is all I think about. Pictures are not like walking up on the car in person. I will have to save my money and give Archie a call so I can have one. The new Choptop dreamer.
exoticse

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-18-2011 11:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for exoticseSend a Private Message to exoticseEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by KVCFIERO:

I saw my first choptop Fiero and it was in person not a picture. I saw this add for a 2.8 out of an 88 Fiero and thought this is about two hours from me but looks like a good deal. It was still in the car so I could hear it run. Even better deal. I never dreamed when I would get there and the guy opened the garage door. I would see a choptop Fiero. My mouth went to the floor. The T Tops were off and the windshield was out but it looked like no Fiero I had ever seen. I wanted to take pictures but he would not let me. I thought about snapping a shot when he was not looking with my cell but he was a nice guy so I respected his wishes. He told me he was putting a Sebring windshield in it. After seeing this car it is all I think about. Pictures are not like walking up on the car in person. I will have to save my money and give Archie a call so I can have one. The new Choptop dreamer.

What state are you in ?

There has been really only one attempt at a T-top choptop fiero, Will Martin built it and last i saw it had belonged to Jscott1 down in Texas, before he too sold it to someone else, whomever that was ?

The problem with the t-top choptop was getting it to work with the t-tops properly. Doesn't sound like this one has been perfected yet either.

Chester did a choptop fiero project called the Dirty Rat, with a targa top.

Was it either of these two cars ??

At any rate, speaking as an owner, you are right choptops are wicked.

[This message has been edited by exoticse (edited 05-18-2011).]

jetsnvettes2000

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-19-2011 12:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jetsnvettes2000Send a Private Message to jetsnvettes2000Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hmmmm id like to take a crack at doing a t top chop, I think maby I will do that in the future if I can find a t -top panel. Hey since I am here I am not using the Archie sail panel trim parts I got in the chop kit, I decided to just modify the original ones since I changed the chop angle on my c pillars. I have a set of the fiberglass inserts if anybody needs them ill post pics tomorrow.
madcurl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-19-2011 05:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

While honeymooning out in California, in Madcurl's area, i think i ran across one of his business ventures.....hehehe

BTW Curly thanks for the tips on where to go, the eats here were pretty darned good !

No problem. You and your wife should come out to CA more often. You know there's always the SEMA show during the first week in November.
KVCFIERO

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-19-2011 09:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for KVCFIEROSend a Private Message to KVCFIEROEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

What state are you in ?

There has been really only one attempt at a T-top choptop fiero, Will Martin built it and last i saw it had belonged to Jscott1 down in Texas, before he too sold it to someone else, whomever that was ?

The problem with the t-top choptop was getting it to work with the t-tops properly. Doesn't sound like this one has been perfected yet either.

At any rate, speaking as an owner, you are right choptops are wicked.

I'm in Texas near Edinburg. I do know he built the car himself from a car he bought for his wife. It was not any of the ones you posted. The t tops were working in this car. Why would they not work in a chopper?
madcurl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-19-2011 12:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I'm in Texas near Edinburg. I do know he built the car himself from a car he bought for his wife. It was not any of the ones you posted. The t tops were working in this car. Why would they not work in a chopper?

Originally posted by Archie:

I'm sorry, there is just no way I'm going to chop a "T" top car.

I would hope that this post can explain exactly why I'm not going to screw-up a Rare "T" top car.

Check this out......

When we chop the top we lower the windshield by 9 degrees. SEE "A"

That shifts the whole roof back about 1-1/2 inches. SEE "B"

That will change the angle and hurt the seal in the area where the roof panels meet the windshield. SEE "E"

As the roof shifts towards the rear of the car the trailing edge of the "T" top panels also moves back toward the rear. SEE "C"

As a result that will screw-up the seals and several other things at Fiero B pillar. SEE "D"

If you've ever removed the headliner from a "T" top car and looked at the "T" top structure from underneath (in the area "E" from the inside) You'll find that it extends almost all the way to the rear window. We do a lot of cutting and welding in this area and (SEE "E") and if we try that with a "T" top car, I'm afraid we'll ruin the "T" top car.

I hope that explains it.

I'll find your email and get it answered.

Archie

KVCFIERO

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-20-2011 08:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for KVCFIEROSend a Private Message to KVCFIEROEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm confused, I know what I looked at. I will take the picture above as only theory and the car I put my hands on as fact.
PFF
System Bot
madcurl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-20-2011 04:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
#022 was out last week creating havoc on the streets. Apparently, an on looker spotted Troy rolling in #022 at an intersection while Troy was about to make a left turn. While on the red-an on-looker pulled up next to #022 while waiting for the red light to change. A conversation was started (you know the drill), but it lasted way pass the green light and now the on-looker is backing up traffic and other drivers honking their horns. A squad car was nearby to investigate the problem.

Instead of pulling over the guy who was holding up traffic the officer pulled Troy over and jokingly said, "I should write you a ticket for impeding traffic." They laughed and continued to ask question about Troy's car and what it was.
exoticse

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-20-2011 06:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for exoticseSend a Private Message to exoticseEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

i am confused, how do you know the t-tops worked ? You said they were out ??
Carcenomy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-20-2011 09:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CarcenomyClick Here to visit Carcenomy's HomePageSend a Private Message to CarcenomyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I imagine T-tops as doable, but you'd have to make some pretty harsh executive decisions in the process. Using a stock C&C T-top would end up going pear-shaped for the reasons Archie points out. So really, you'd want to go the route Chester went with the Supra-style single-piece panel, or adapt T-tops from something else. The C&Cs are already sparse...

------------------

troyboy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-22-2011 06:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for troyboySend a Private Message to troyboyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The Choptop doing its part to help out St. Mary's Kids

Yesterday was also a fun day, I started out by waxing the choptop and my wife commented that I have never taken her for a ride ... LOL. So after one coat of wax and polishing the HRE's I took her for a spin on the ocean parkway and she loved it ( I saw the days of my solo "clear my head" cruses flash before my eyes ) the faster I went the more she loved it, I will not disclose how fast we went but lets just say the 160 speedo only had 20 MPH left to go before she said "slow down but just a little". the rest is censored lets just say that my little blue pill is now Orange
Archie

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 546
Rate this member

Report this Post05-23-2011 12:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ArchieClick Here to visit Archie's HomePageSend a Private Message to ArchieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by troyboy:

The Choptop doing its part to help out St. Mary's Kids

Yesterday was also a fun day, I started out by waxing the choptop and my wife commented that I have never taken her for a ride ... LOL. So after one coat of wax and polishing the HRE's I took her for a spin on the ocean parkway and she loved it ( I saw the days of my solo "clear my head" cruses flash before my eyes ) the faster I went the more she loved it, I will not disclose how fast we went but lets just say the 160 speedo only had 20 MPH left to go before she said "slow down but just a little". the rest is censored lets just say that my little blue pill is now Orange

Congrats on both counts

Archie

------------------

need someone to make me a new sig.

madcurl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-23-2011 05:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
While #022 was at the show. There was a major oversight by those judging the NY Autofest. The judges listed #022 as a exotic import. The votes were already tallied and the judge was reading Troy's entry to the crowd, "The winner of the NYC 2010 best of the import goes to......"Troy" (now that was all good until the judge continued). As he continued, "The Owner of a 1986 Pontiac Fiero"-what the At that very moment the judge's voice quieted a bit and realized he had made a serious error. The crowd became agitated since (as we all know) Troy's car is a domestic. Plus, they had already awarded the "best of domestic" so they awarded Troy the "1st in Class." Jokingly, the judge (so as to save face and to poke fun) said to the Ferrari/Porshe/lamborghini owners, "Just think. You guys were beaten by a 1986 Pontiac Fiero."

On a side note. Since #022 has been attending car shows Have you notice the cars that are parked next to #022? As I was informed, the Corvette boys like Troy's #022 and all, but they make it their point not to park next to him during the show. Seriously, if I owned ordinary Ferrari I'd wouldn't park next to this beauty either. Maybe a Zonda-yes, but not a normal off the show room floor exotic. Even still a Zonda is what, one million. You still end up with egg in your face. Truly, Pontiac made a spectacular car. All that was needed is the right person and the right tweaks.

[This message has been edited by madcurl (edited 05-23-2011).]

BlackThunderGT

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-28-2011 12:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlackThunderGTSend a Private Message to BlackThunderGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Before

After

It’s officially a Chop Top!!!

KVCFIERO

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-30-2011 07:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KVCFIEROSend a Private Message to KVCFIEROEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

i am confused, how do you know the t-tops worked ? You said they were out ??

Not seeing what I looked at and went over with the owner you would not be able to know what I looked at without pictures. I finally got in touch with him again and begged the guy for a picture or two but after he explained a few things with me about Pennock's Forum. I understand and will not say anymore. It will be his car to show off after he finishes the LS4 swap when and if he wishes. Still trying to get the 2.8 from him. Still chopper dreaming
exoticse

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-02-2011 04:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for exoticseSend a Private Message to exoticseEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Another choptop born in Florida !

Central Florida Fieros just got wilder !

Pedro has officially joined the choptop crew ! After purchasing the Archie kit the car has been chopped and is being put back together !

(before pic with Pedro on the left)

That makes 3 in our club !! Next ??

[This message has been edited by exoticse (edited 06-02-2011).]

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 37 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20   21   22   23   24   25   26   27   28   29   30   31   32   33   34   35   36   37 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock