Pennock's Fiero Forum
  The Construction Zone
  CHOPTOP CHRONICLES (Page 16)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 37 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20   21   22   23   24   25   26   27   28   29   30   31   32   33   34   35   36   37 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
CHOPTOP CHRONICLES by madcurl
Started on: 04-11-2004 08:47 PM
Replies: 1450 (108005 views)
Last post by: Thegayguy1 on 02-11-2024 04:58 PM
madcurl

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 314
Rate this member

Report this Post07-10-2008 12:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
On the 4th of July, I took #011 out for a spin and received a few, "ahh and oohs" from the locals. A young guy in his twenties wanted to know what type of car it was which was rather hard to determine since it was night time. Local CHP officers at first glance thought #011 was a Lotus, but soon realize it was a Pontiac. We talked for about 15-20 minutes along side of the road.

IP: Logged
madcurl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-18-2008 02:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I've been driving #011 lately and tonight I need to make a quick stop at the local Home Depo. As I was entering the parking lot, a couple of young guys in a white pick-up looked over and turn around. As I was exiting the chopper they asked;

Young kids; "Is that a Lotus?"
Me, "No. It's not."
Young kids; "What is it?"
Me; "Its a Pontiac. A Pontiac Fiero."
Young kids; "Nah, a Pontiac Fiero. You got to be kidding."

As I walked away (clicking on the alarm) they stayed there viewing the car for a couple of minutes. #011 was parked under the parking lot lights. After I got a few items, I hopped in and took #011 for a hwy spin to test the rear sway bar. Boy that sucker is now tight! Sorry no pics, I needed install a new garage door opener.

madcurl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-20-2008 03:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Last Friday night I stopped off at Starbucks. I needed something to "jolt" me for the 5-hr drive back to the Bay Area. During the drive through a teenager walked around to the speaker box and asked me, "How much did that car cost you?"

I paused for a moment and told him, "Well, its a 20 year old car." The teenager kind of looked perplexed by my statement and he later said, "Well it looks new to me." I said thanks.

Meanwhile at the drive through window, the Bistro dude likewise was perplexed by the car and asked me could he view the car for a moment. It was bit awkward while he viewed the car starting from the back to the front. Afterward he asked,

Bistro dude; "Its a Lotus, right?"
Me; "No," I replied, "Its a Pontiac Fiero." He continued,
Bistro dude; "Are you from out of town?"
Me; "No, I'm from here."
Bistro dude; "What, from here?" "Nice car."

While I waited for my drink I noticed the first guy gesturing to another bistro dude. Within a few seconds he too opens the drive throw window and sticks his head out.

Second bistro dude; "Nah, a Pontiac Fiero?"
Me; "Yeah."

He continues to look while he shakes his head in disbelief. I roll out and people sitting outside stare and holler out as I pass them. I was thinking to myself, “Yeah, its time to see #020.”

[This message has been edited by madcurl (edited 07-20-2008).]

madcurl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-29-2008 05:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Choptop and friends; Steak n' Shakes

madcurl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-29-2008 11:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

madcurl

21401 posts
Member since Jul 2003
Dog Day afternoon; Sunday hanging out after the 6 hrs trip from Pontiac Michigan. Troyboy reviewing the details while Rob is caught relaxing.

#022; just like the old times. #020 and #022 together again.

Big n' beefy 3" Mandrel pipes; No crushed baby size pipes no where to be found on Troy's C7 build.

Where's the 3" beef? It's under Troy's car, hehe.

[This message has been edited by madcurl (edited 07-30-2008).]

madcurl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-29-2008 02:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

madcurl

21401 posts
Member since Jul 2003
Choptops, widebody, and friends @ the 25th.

madcurl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-29-2008 02:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

madcurl

21401 posts
Member since Jul 2003
Dave (aka Dr CPU) representing the choptops @the 25th.

madcurl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-30-2008 12:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I got a chance to review some of the details on #022 and I found the LS7 to 100% beautiful sitting inside a Fiero's engine bay.

Nice pipes;

This one of the few "icing" on the cake that made my multi-task trip complete.

[This message has been edited by madcurl (edited 07-30-2008).]

exoticse

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 108
Rate this member

Report this Post08-11-2008 12:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for exoticseSend a Private Message to exoticseEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Surely some new stories will be told once this baby get's settled into it's new home !

[This message has been edited by exoticse (edited 08-11-2008).]

madcurl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-17-2008 12:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I've been cruising in #011 around town lately and last Thursday night I stopped to get some petro. As I was gasing up and young lady in her 20's stopped with her younger brother and had a conversation about the car. Strange thing was she was asking all of the questions. The same questions, "Is it a Lotus?" "What year?" and mostly in total shock once I informed her it's a Pontiac. She also liked #020, but had no idea what it was (must be the headlamps, hehe). There was car show on Friday and she wanted to drive it. I said sure. Late Friday night a young clerk thought #011 was a new car.

[This message has been edited by madcurl (edited 08-17-2008).]

whodeanie

Feedback score:    (14)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 120
Rate this member

Report this Post08-19-2008 12:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for whodeanieClick Here to visit whodeanie's HomePageSend a Private Message to whodeanieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
my saw can not wait to get started cutting my car but I am waiting on windows form Archie.
with everything going on at Archies these days it is taking a little time to get them but that is ok.
the saw will have to wait.haha! I will be adding my car to this list very soon!
PFF
System Bot
exoticse

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-08-2008 02:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for exoticseSend a Private Message to exoticseEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
This picture had me tossing and turning all nite !

My new desktop !

[This message has been edited by exoticse (edited 09-08-2008).]

madcurl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-09-2008 03:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hanging out with Dave was great. I got a chance to learn a bit about cigars. We stopped by a cigar shop and toured the various types ranging from $2.50 up to $17.00 per cigar. Dave is also pretty good at editing video too. We also had a chance to talk about rims and wide bodies. I forgot to take a pic, but Archie, Dave, and me went to Giordanos famous Stuffed Pizza. Boy-o-boy that was some good eating.

Ginger had to stay inside the truck.

[This message has been edited by madcurl (edited 09-09-2008).]

whodeanie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-18-2008 10:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for whodeanieClick Here to visit whodeanie's HomePageSend a Private Message to whodeanieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
striped and ready to go .Almost! just carpet and the back glass then alot of cutting and welding.
wolud this be Whodeanie #1 or is there an order to the choptop numbers.
I know Archie has numbers for his but I did not know if everyone tracked them that way.
madcurl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-18-2008 12:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by whodeanie:

Would this be Whodeanie #1 or is there an order to the choptop numbers. I know Archie has numbers for his but I did not know if everyone tracked them that way.

We (Archie's chop tops) was started for badges to be made, for a uniform order, and to eliminate the need for countless naming of cars and their perspective abbreviations when reference is needed by using a number system (Great Blue Choptop = GBCT= #001).

As for all others (homebrew as it is sometime referred too) there isn't a consistent list or order since most if not all are never completed and if so are sold-off and never heard of again. Jonathan did make a list, but the list isn't approved by those whom have "homebrew" so the number system isn't eched in stone or for that matter- they may not care to be numbered.
//www.fiero.nl/forum/F...064559.html#lastpost

Originally posted by jscott1:

The chop top list keeps getting archived and I can't update it... (Help keep this bumped)

Here is the latest. (pics added below)

Unofficial List - Last Updated 4/5/2008

<<<<ARCHIE CHOP TOPS>>>>>>

001. Great Blue Choptop (GBCT) ....................Aug 1998
002. Purple Pavement Eater (notchback)......... 1998 (Finished at Archie's shop by Archie and NIFE Volunteers)
003. 246 Dino Replica for a guy in Indiana.............. 11-13-98
004. PFF ChopTop ..................................... 11-20-98 (new owner Exoticse 2005)
005. Vasquar ............................................. 9-1-00
006. Steve in Rockford IL..................................... May 2001
007. Stinger .......................................Jan 2002
008. PFF GMGW3 Cary ......................... Sept 2002
009. Gun Metal GT fastback Tacoma Washington ..Oct. 2002
010. PFF Jim's 88 GT Jim Albright ................June 2003
011. Silver Choptop Curley.................. fall 2003
012. Chester's Dirty Rat Rob D............. Oct 2003
013. Black Death - Fierotaz (Leroy) ........... Mar. 2004
014. Proud-1 Jscott1 ................... July 2004
015. Curley's widebody................sept 2004?
016. Dowdian's Sharona..................December 2004?
017. Black 85 Fastback LS1
018. Bob's "SideWider" a.k.a Stinger clone
019. Will-Martin's Formula
020. MadCurl Project #3 (Widebody)
021 New project for V8Archie
022 IMSA Chop top - Troy Boy from New York
023 Dr. CPU from Mississauga, ON, Canada
024 Cornersonrails - Algonquin,Il USA
025 FIEROciousGT (David)- Central, FL

<<<<HOMEBREWED>>>>> In No Particular Order

101) Purple Pavement Eater (PPE) Fastback - Rich Warber 1997
102) Silver Fastback - Sharkman
103) Red 84 5 inch chop - RJones
104) 85? Notchback - F355Spider
105) 88 T-top - Jscott1
106) Orville 1
107) Orville 2
108) ShueGlue737 - targa
109) Midshipman Easy
110) Slickrick 2000?
111) Seth - Yellow 88 quad 4 5-Speed
112) Jordangel - Chopped t-top?
113) joshua riedl - Red Noitchback
114) ShawnKFL - Red Fastback
115) OPM2000 - Red Formula
116) Driven Visions - Notchback
117) 85 SE 4 Cyl 5 Sp Bphotrod from MI
118) Black V8 Notchie from Fierorama
119) 86 Chop top Notchback from Houlton, ME
120) Orville #3
121) JMBishop - Gold fastback -Texas
122) Flyingbob - Fastback from Thunder Bay, ON Canada
123) F355 - Silver Fastback - Texas

whodeanie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-19-2008 07:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for whodeanieClick Here to visit whodeanie's HomePageSend a Private Message to whodeanieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
well anyway here is # whatever done the way Archie had me do it.
all the measurements came out exact to what I was given. I still need to weld it all together it is just tacked in place for now.
it took about 3 hrs. last night to get this far.

exoticse

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-19-2008 11:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for exoticseSend a Private Message to exoticseEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Whodeanie you are a machine !!

That is nice ! Congratulations.
GODFATHER

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-21-2008 07:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GODFATHERSend a Private Message to GODFATHEREdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

well anyway here is # whatever done the way Archie had me do it.
all the measurements came out exact to what I was given. I still need to weld it all together it is just tacked in place for now.
it took about 3 hrs. last night to get this far.

If Archie told you how to do the chop, then maybe we should number those choptops as HB#1A (Home Brew # then A for Archie. Since you and I where told how to do them we should start some type of numbering system.
madcurl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-21-2008 08:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by GODFATHER:

If Archie told you how to do the chop, then maybe we should number those choptops as HB#1A (Home Brew # then A for Archie. Since you and I where told how to do them we should start some type of numbering system.

I agree. If I may add, IMO I think #001B sounds better than "home brew" or HB. It's sounds professional, but then again I'm only offering my suggestion.
whodeanie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-22-2008 07:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for whodeanieClick Here to visit whodeanie's HomePageSend a Private Message to whodeanieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
OK I agree. if it is Ok with all parties we will number it #001B
Done!
GODFATHER

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-22-2008 08:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for GODFATHERSend a Private Message to GODFATHEREdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by madcurl:

I agree. If I may add, IMO I think #001B sounds better than "home brew" or HB. It's sounds professional, but then again I'm only offering my suggestion.

Madcurl, I always am open to your opinion and suggestions, good or bad. I guess I have #002B.
PFF
System Bot
whodeanie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-22-2008 08:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for whodeanieClick Here to visit whodeanie's HomePageSend a Private Message to whodeanieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Madcurl, I always am open to your opinion and suggestions, good or bad. I guess I have #002B.

PM sent
whodeanie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-26-2008 09:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for whodeanieClick Here to visit whodeanie's HomePageSend a Private Message to whodeanieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
A bit more progress the chassis part is done now the body part.
more f*#$@!& fiberglass!
just kidding it is not that bad.

the car is starting to look the way I wanted it to look.
madcurl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-26-2008 03:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

A bit more progress the chassis part is done now the body part and the car is starting to look the way I wanted it to look

Looking good. This choptop will truly be unique. and I can't until the rims arrive. How many more days is it?
GODFATHER

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-26-2008 03:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GODFATHERSend a Private Message to GODFATHEREdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Looking good. This choptop will truly be unique. and I can't until the rims arrive. How many more days is it?

You cann't rush perfection
jscott1

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 415
Rate this member

Report this Post09-27-2008 07:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

A bit more progress the chassis part is done now the body part.
more f*#$@!& fiberglass!
just kidding it is not that bad.

the car is starting to look the way I wanted it to look.

I looks lopsided. Just kidding

It looks awesome. Time for someone to bump the unofficial chop top list.

GODFATHER

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-27-2008 10:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GODFATHERSend a Private Message to GODFATHEREdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Hey guys you think mine looks lopsided? LOL. I took more pics but something happened to them. I also took pics with my angle gauge on the side B pillar, above the window roof top, frt roof top and rear roof top to show that the angles are the same and level. More pics to come. First I have to finish all the welding. So now its choptop #002B .
jscott1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-27-2008 10:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

The homebrewed don't have any particular order, but A and B on the Archie system generally means a chop top that went back to Archie for major mods.

Also the pre-existing list already had up to 25 homebrewed, so I'm not sure I understand the above system, but I'm just the creator of the unofficial list,
//www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/064559.html

GODFATHER

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-27-2008 10:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GODFATHERSend a Private Message to GODFATHEREdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The reason why whodeanie and I did it was because the choptops are down per Archie's instructions. I don't know who was the first one to get the instructions but it doesn't matter . I brought all the parts you would need to complete a choptop from Archie. Their are alot of home brew choptops out there that are not fully completed and some that are . Like Orville's , Carlos and Josh's and I love the way they look and came out. I know that mine and whodeanies will be completed do to the fact we both have the tools and talent and the correct procedure on completing them. I'm not putting down any of the other homebrew's but you see them started and then you don't see the finished product. Again I'm not slamming any homebrew's I just wanted to do it right and Archie is the man I went to. Maybe they shouldn't be numbered, I'm just happy to have a choptop.

[This message has been edited by GODFATHER (edited 09-27-2008).]

jscott1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-28-2008 03:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

The reason why whodeanie and I did it was because the choptops are down per Archie's instructions.

Oh okay, I get it...

The numbering is just something that Curley latched onto, but it's going to get confusing real fast when you talk about Choptop 001 with no letter and 001B. I call mine 014B after it went to Archie's the second time. Maybe there should be greek letters involved or maybe hieroglyphics?
GODFATHER

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-28-2008 08:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for GODFATHERSend a Private Message to GODFATHEREdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just some more pics.

Well back to welding

Joe

[This message has been edited by GODFATHER (edited 10-10-2008).]

PFF
System Bot
exoticse

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-28-2008 09:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for exoticseSend a Private Message to exoticseEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Very impressive Joe.

I am really, really looking forward to seeing both yours and whodeanie's choptop at Daytona next year.

Continued success.

Tony
GODFATHER

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-28-2008 09:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for GODFATHERSend a Private Message to GODFATHEREdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks Tony. Is your choptop going to be at Daytona?
jscott1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-28-2008 11:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Good question...Are you even going to have it back in Florida by then?

A little birdie told me about a mini-choptop reunion at D9... I might be able to have mine worthy by then.
exoticse

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-28-2008 08:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for exoticseSend a Private Message to exoticseEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Absolutely,,..it won't be finished by any stretch, but God willing, it will be there for sure !

If we get enough choppers maybe we can convince, YOU KNOW WHO, .... to make an appearance. hehehehe
GODFATHER

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-28-2008 09:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GODFATHERSend a Private Message to GODFATHEREdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by exoticse:

Absolutely,,..it won't be finished by any stretch, but God willing, it will be there for sure !

If we get enough choppers maybe we can convince, YOU KNOW WHO, .... to make an appearance. hehehehe

You know he's the reason I started to go to Daytona. And I've gone the past 3 years and guess who hasn't?

[This message has been edited by GODFATHER (edited 09-29-2008).]

whodeanie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-29-2008 07:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for whodeanieClick Here to visit whodeanie's HomePageSend a Private Message to whodeanieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
looking good godfather the chop looks great now get back to welding! hehe!
the welding is done on mine and I am back on the body.
madcurl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-12-2008 02:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Just some more pics.

Well back to welding

Joe

Any updates?
GODFATHER

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-15-2008 10:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GODFATHERSend a Private Message to GODFATHEREdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'll take some pic's in the mourning and post them. Fibergalssing is taking alot of time with having to do topside and underneath everything and giving it time to dry before you go to the next step. I think it's starting to take shape. Whodeanie has a headstart on the bodywork but I have my wheels. LOL. Just busting on you Dean.

Joe
GODFATHER

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-16-2008 08:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for GODFATHERSend a Private Message to GODFATHEREdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I'll post some more later pip is not working right
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 37 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20   21   22   23   24   25   26   27   28   29   30   31   32   33   34   35   36   37 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock