Pennock's Fiero Forum
  The Construction Zone
  CHOPTOP CHRONICLES (Page 13)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 37 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20   21   22   23   24   25   26   27   28   29   30   31   32   33   34   35   36   37 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
CHOPTOP CHRONICLES by madcurl
Started on: 04-11-2004 08:47 PM
Replies: 1450 (108040 views)
Last post by: Thegayguy1 on 02-11-2024 04:58 PM
SAFASTRO

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-01-2007 02:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SAFASTROClick Here to visit SAFASTRO's HomePageSend a Private Message to SAFASTROEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I agree Formula..... that front hood looks real heavy up front. That's probably the only thing about the car I'm not really gettin'. But I'm sure Curly has got somethin' brewin'. Especially when he sees it in person, I'm sure there will be some changes made. Can't wait to find out what that will be......
IP: Logged
exoticse

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 108
Rate this member

Report this Post06-01-2007 07:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for exoticseSend a Private Message to exoticseEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by SAFASTRO:

I agree Formula..... that front hood looks real heavy up front. That's probably the only thing about the car I'm not really gettin'. But I'm sure Curly has got somethin' brewin'. Especially when he sees it in person, I'm sure there will be some changes made. Can't wait to find out what that will be......

Curly does have some more really cool tweeks left, but i hate to disappoint you but the hood scoop will not be getting dramatically different.

As always pictures tend to distort things, so i am sure it looks good in person. If curly is drooling, and he told me so this morning, then trust me it looks good !

Do however expect some surprises to the rear.

[This message has been edited by exoticse (edited 06-01-2007).]

exoticse

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-01-2007 09:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for exoticseSend a Private Message to exoticseEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

exoticse

8650 posts
Member since Jun 2003

Fresh pics from the Dells !

SLOWnSTEADY

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 61
Rate this member

Report this Post06-02-2007 12:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SLOWnSTEADYSend a Private Message to SLOWnSTEADYEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
dude... THAT IS FUC*ING SICK!!!

Would you be offended if i asked you to marry me?

[This message has been edited by SLOWnSTEADY (edited 06-02-2007).]

jscott1

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 415
Rate this member

Report this Post06-02-2007 01:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
This car is looking better all the time...with paint it will live up to it's expectations.

The widebody is perfect. The rear glass is perfect. The windshield is perfect.

About the only thing I would change is the lower part of the rockers, you can see that the three lines don't match up very well. In the rear you have the original, in the middle, Archie's creation, and in the front is Norm's. It might be too late but I would suggest changing that line that swings up in the front and smoothing it out a little. Or making it line up better with the rocker.

Maybe like this instead:

[This message has been edited by jscott1 (edited 06-02-2007).]

exoticse

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-02-2007 11:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for exoticseSend a Private Message to exoticseEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just got a call from Curly and we were discussing the tweeks still yet to be done on this car, and be prepared to be blown away some more !

These are things he had planned all along, but just had not gotten to yet. More eye popping work coming on the rear, and some interesting adds elsewhere also.

Stay tuned !!

[This message has been edited by exoticse (edited 06-02-2007).]

madcurl

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 314
Rate this member

Report this Post06-03-2007 06:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I just got back to the computer and I'm sending some pics of #004, 013, 020, & 022 choptops.

Hall of Fame: Newest member....Leroy #013.

[This message has been edited by madcurl (edited 06-03-2007).]

madcurl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-03-2007 07:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

madcurl

21401 posts
Member since Jul 2003
Leroy and I arrived at Archies: We both were very, very excited...Pontiac excited!

Pre-dawn Jollies:

Thanks Jscott for sending pics:
madcurl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-03-2007 07:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

madcurl

21401 posts
Member since Jul 2003
Visual inspections and last minute details befor out midnight snack and Steak N' Shake......yummy!

madcurl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-03-2007 07:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

madcurl

21401 posts
Member since Jul 2003
Lock and Load: ON the way to the Dells....I'm riding shotgun in a chopper!

Following the trailer-queen, hehe.

Leroy gas n' up #013 headed out to the 2007 Dells show.

[This message has been edited by madcurl (edited 06-18-2007).]

Kaleb

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-03-2007 11:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KalebSend a Private Message to KalebEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
wow seein those choppers together made my heart beat fast
PFF
System Bot
Kaleb

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-03-2007 11:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KalebSend a Private Message to KalebEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Kaleb

240 posts
Member since Jan 2007
hey madcurl..are you gonna "tweak" the taillights a bit or r ya leavin em stock...either way would be cool j/w
jscott1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-03-2007 11:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by madcurl:

Thanks Jscott for sending pics:

This pic is freekin unbelieveable!!!

I would leave the Stock Fiero lights, This looks like the Fiero that Pontiac should have built.
madcurl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-06-2007 01:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Kaleb:

hey madcurl..are you gonna "tweak" the taillights a bit or r ya leavin em stock...either way would be cool j/w

No tweaking of the fastback's taillamps.

Archie

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 546
Rate this member

Report this Post06-06-2007 06:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ArchieClick Here to visit Archie's HomePageSend a Private Message to ArchieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Of the 24 Chop Tops, we had the OWNERS of 9 of them at the Dells.

The best thing is that somehow we managed to get them all to pose for picture together.

Chop Top owners at Dells 2007 Left to right….

Jeff Wendt (GTGeff) The Stinger #007
Chris Lewis (cornersonrails) #024 (#024 pictured below)
Curley Taylor (madcurl) #011, #015 & The Arch Rival #020 (#020 pictured below)
LeRoy Lucero (Fierotaz) New Owner of Chop #013 (#013 pictured below)
Troy Anderson (MrTroyBoy) The Perfect Union #022 Winner Best of Show Dells 2007 (#022 pictured below)
Cary Decker (GMGW3) #008
I also was there representing #021

I think that would be the most Chop Top's who's owners that have been gathered together in one place before.

Archie
madcurl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-09-2007 12:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Wow. Nine choptop owners in one place and captured on camera! I had a great time hanging with the fellas, dining, and shot'n the breezs.

Mean while, back in Ca...I captured some picks of Orville's latest creation.

[This message has been edited by madcurl (edited 06-09-2007).]

madcurl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-09-2007 12:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

madcurl

21401 posts
Member since Jul 2003
Orville spotted a wreaked 2006 Pontiac Bonnaville (sp?) with 9,000 miles. Orville salvaged all of the goodies into his chopper...including the dash. Notice how part of the center consol is removed inorder to house the entire dash swap. The 3800SC is sitting inside the Fiero engine bay. The 3800SC is "Drive-bye-wire" so Orville's going to tackle this issue.

Also used is the exhaust tail pipes to which he nicely fitted them into the rear bumper. Notice how the exhaust is routed through the frame. There's alot more items that I didn't have a chance to see and it was getting close to sleep time for Orville (early bird catches the worm).

madcurl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-09-2007 01:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

madcurl

21401 posts
Member since Jul 2003
Late night, "Get together."

As (we) usually do, we headed to "Shake N' Steak" after eyeballing our Fieros till midnight. It was like, "Old times" but, with a new member,....Leroy. Troy, Leroy and I arrived at the hotel around 01:00-020:00 hrs.

During the Dells 2007 show, Jeff (#007 Stinger) has a special gift for #020. Thanks Jeff.

madcurl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-10-2007 12:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
More pics of Orville's 3rd choptop creation:

[This message has been edited by madcurl (edited 06-10-2007).]

flyingbob

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-10-2007 09:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for flyingbobSend a Private Message to flyingbobEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Three of the coolest chop owners and builder anyone could ever meet, Marg and I enjoyed talking to you guys.
Bob

Late night, "Get together."

As (we) usually do, we headed to "Shake N' Steak" after eyeballing our Fieros till midnight. It was like, "Old times" but, with a new member,....Leroy. Troy, Leroy and I arrived at the hotel around 01:00-020:00 hrs.

During the Dells 2007 show, Jeff (#007 Stinger) has a special gift for #020. Thanks Jeff.

madcurl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-13-2007 12:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Tina before at the CTHC-1 Sept 2006:

Tina during the Dells Jun 2007:

I'm happy to say,"I thinks she likes it."

[This message has been edited by madcurl (edited 06-13-2007).]

PFF
System Bot
madcurl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-13-2007 07:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Okay onto the front: Dells 2007

Hmm...?

Hmm....To be continued at the CTHC-2.

Btw, I had a great time meeting new faces at the Dells.
madcurl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-14-2007 12:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I took #011 out for a cruise last week and she road just fine with the coil-overs raised by 1-turn. The A/C was working just fine although it wasn't needed. On my way back I stopped off for some take-out Chinesse food. The cook stopped what he was doing and peaked out the window and the waitress too, hehe.

Old pic:

Rickady88GT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 202
Rate this member

Report this Post06-22-2007 05:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Rickady88GTSend a Private Message to Rickady88GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

More pics of Orville's 3rd choptop creation:

Hope to be at His place soon, But I wont be in the Fiero. We started a new toy. But I love to think of things to change, and improve.

I need to get some parts from him for another project??

------------------

exoticse

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-28-2007 03:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for exoticseSend a Private Message to exoticseEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hey Troy or Joshua any choptop stories or reactions to tell ??
joshua riedl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-28-2007 09:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for joshua riedlSend a Private Message to joshua riedlEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Boy, where to start? I started a thread about chops getting negative attention a long time ago, I have to say that since it's been on the road and painted all that went away. Except ,oddly enough big girls tend to look at the car and laugh. I'm not sure why they laugh, although I could guess, but it doesn't bother me since they are big. On the drive home from the dells I caught a cop rubbernecking on the interstate pretty hard. Driving with the fieromadman in the lead he was probably checking out the cars but I didn't chance it so we took the back roads the rest of the way home. Just about everyone stopped and looked at us as we drove by. One guy on a tractor stopped tractoring to check us out. Driving around town one guy actually stopped jogging to stop and check out the car as I drove by. He litterally stopped in his tracks, got a big smile on his face and kept staring. I threw him a wave. I get guys catching up to the car just to check it out and wave. I've tried racing a few people when the opportunity comes up but I think the appearance of the car scares them off. I actually stopped in front of a viper as he was pulling out of a parking lot, revved the engine and spun out to see if he would follow but he didn't. I pretend it was because he was intimidated. My mom borrows it to take to work and give people rides. I get a little upset when I ask if she beat on it and she says no. It's imbarrassing! Why take it out if you aren't going to use the skinny pedal? Anyway, Little kids look out the window and point and tell mommy to look, it's pretty funny. I even caught Madcurl checking it out at the Dells, Don't pretend you didn't! I saw you! Just a lot of stuff like that, nothing super exciting but a lot of positive comments. I even get an occasional person that thinks it's brand new. Now it's starting to feel a little slow. It doesn't rev out like the TDC did so I think I'm going to get some s&s headers for it. Maybe a bigger throttle body and some intake porting, I'll probably just drive it through the summer though and put some miles on it before it gets ripped apart again. I'll let you guys know if anything worth telling happens but just let it be known that even though there is some debate on the forum whether or not chop top fiero's look good, there is no debate in small town middle America, everybody likes it!, except the big girls!
madcurl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-28-2007 12:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by joshua riedl:
I even caught Madcurl checking it out at the Dells, Don't pretend you didn't! I saw you! Just a lot of stuff like that, nothing super exciting but a lot of positive comments.

Hehe. Yes. I seen you speeding by at the Dells and earlier in the parking lot but, I didn't see you near or inside. I'm glad to hear about the positive comments regarding your choptop. Maybe we'll chat at the next choptop reunion in Sept.

joshua riedl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-28-2007 03:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for joshua riedlSend a Private Message to joshua riedlEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
We actually did talk early on the show day. I was with a big guy and another guy was there who didn't seem to know a lot about fiero's. I commented on how nice the car idles, if that rings a bell. Anyway, I might drive down to Archies' thing in september.
madcurl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-28-2007 05:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

We actually did talk early on the show day. I was with a big guy and another guy was there who didn't seem to know a lot about fiero's. I commented on how nice the car idles, if that rings a bell. Anyway, I might drive down to Archies' thing in september.

Oh I'm guessing that was Troyboy you where speaking too?
joshua riedl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-28-2007 08:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for joshua riedlSend a Private Message to joshua riedlEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
you own the northstar, widebody chop right? It was early and still raining, right as they were parking the car for the show. We actually talked for a while but I felt it would have been weird to bring up my car for no reason at all. I'll introduce myself better next time.
madcurl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-28-2007 08:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

you own the northstar, widebody chop right? It was early and still raining, right as they were parking the car for the show. We actually talked for a while but I felt it would have been weird to bring up my car for no reason at all. I'll introduce myself better next time.

Okay, that was me, sorry bout' that, hehe. We'll talk next time the CTHC-2 at Archie's.
PFF
System Bot
Fierotaz

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 93
Rate this member

Report this Post07-04-2007 02:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FierotazSend a Private Message to FierotazEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well Curly told me I better post about my trip from the Dells show to Phoeinx so...
I had a lot of people on the road slow down/speed up to take a look at the car on the road. Every time I stopped for gas i had people walk over and ask what kind of car it was and a couple of them did not believe me when I told them it was a Pontiac Fiero, go figure.
I made a stop at a Wal-mart just before sunset and when I came out there were 5 guys standing around my car looking at it and talking, so I hit the remote and opened both suicide doors and they all jumped back. Then they started asking all kinds of questions so I opend the trunk and showed them the V8 and about 30 minutes later when the last guy was dragged away by his wife I got back on the road. BTW with the LT1 and 6 speed I averaged 27.9 MPG with a high of 30 MPG over one 200 mile stretch.
Leroy
Hopefully many more stories to come.
madcurl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-06-2007 01:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Fierotaz:

Well Curly told me I better post about my trip from the Dells show to Phoeinx so...
I had a lot of people on the road slow down/speed up to take a look at the car on the road. Every time I stopped for gas i had people walk over and ask what kind of car it was and a couple of them did not believe me when I told them it was a Pontiac Fiero, go figure.
I made a stop at a Wal-mart just before sunset and when I came out there were 5 guys standing around my car looking at it and talking, so I hit the remote and opened both suicide doors and they all jumped back. Then they started asking all kinds of questions so I opend the trunk and showed them the V8 and about 30 minutes later when the last guy was dragged away by his wife I got back on the road. BTW with the LT1 and 6 speed I averaged 27.9 MPG with a high of 30 MPG over one 200 mile stretch.
Leroy
Hopefully many more stories to come.

See, I told you, hehe. If you think being held-up for 30 minutes was long. Just wait until it's painted & rim'd up...you'll be hanging out explaining the choptop for nearly an hour!

madcurl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-15-2007 03:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
#022 was the cause of an accident this week.

The details are a bit sketchy, but it resulted in a fender bender. A female driver was viewed rubber necking #022's rear end. Apparently the women wanted a better view of the car to determine what type, so she pulled alone side the chopper. Still no visual clues from the side, so she proceeded to pull pass the chopper and finally getting a glimpse of the NSX headlamps partly sticking above hood.

Still she wasn't convinced, so she moved pass and in front of the chopper. She leaned forward to look backwards. Little did she realize she was coming up on a car stopped in her lane waiting for the red light and she rear ended the car. As the light turned green, #022 proceeded on while the two owners viewed the damages.

This is story is being reported to you by #020....Your Choptop Chronicle Reporter, hehe.

[This message has been edited by madcurl (edited 07-15-2007).]

DrCPU

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-24-2007 07:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DrCPUSend a Private Message to DrCPUEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
While taking pictures of the TAZ I posted today some kids from the neighbourhood - who were playing soccer - chased me down. I was stopping to take the pictures anyway. I was about 100' from them when I opened up the new XD door - at which point all three boys (around 9-10yrs old) yelled "He lookit! What a cool car!" They ran as fast as their little legs could carry them - all the while screaming out "oooh" ans "ahhs". One little guy sez - "Hey that's like that car in Grand Theft Auto!". The other quickly asks "How much is it". Then one tries to jump in the driver seat - asks first - but was almost in when I said"if you can get by Ginger and she said it was OK that it would be OK with me"... Little dog face - big teeth - hmmmm maybe I'll just look from here!

Big smiles were had by all.
madcurl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-29-2007 12:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I think its time for me head over to Orville's place for inspiration. His newly swap'd dash was looking pretty darn good during my last visit.
Kaleb

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-29-2007 05:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KalebSend a Private Message to KalebEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I've been thinking and would a chop t-top be possible with fiberglass roof sections? or would that just be too much trouble than its worth
Kaleb

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-29-2007 05:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KalebSend a Private Message to KalebEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Kaleb

240 posts
Member since Jan 2007

I think its time for me head over to Orville's place for inspiration. His newly swap'd dash was looking pretty darn good during my last visit.

take tons of pictures... i love orvilles stuff
jscott1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-29-2007 06:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Kaleb:

I've been thinking and would a chop t-top be possible with fiberglass roof sections? or would that just be too much trouble than its worth

Anything's possible. If you shortened the "H" frame you could then use the stock windshield and the "regular" chop top windows. Sealing is probably going to be a challenge no matter what because of the extreme angle of the side windows. I'll let you know how it works if I ever work on mine again.
Kaleb

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-30-2007 12:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for KalebSend a Private Message to KalebEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jscott1:

Anything's possible. If you shortened the "H" frame you could then use the stock windshield and the "regular" chop top windows. Sealing is probably going to be a challenge no matter what because of the extreme angle of the side windows. I'll let you know how it works if I ever work on mine again.

i see what you mean..hmm well if you ever get yours a shot i'll deffinately be interested in how you did it
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 37 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20   21   22   23   24   25   26   27   28   29   30   31   32   33   34   35   36   37 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock