Pennock's Fiero Forum
  The Construction Zone
  What's Up at Archie's (Page 67)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 79 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20   21   22   23   24   25   26   27   28   29   30   31   32   33   34   35   36   37   38   39   40   41   42   43   44   45   46   47   48   49   50   51   52   53   54   55   56   57   58   59   60   61   62   63   64   65   66   67   68   69   70   71   72   73   74   75   76   77   78   79 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
What's Up at Archie's by Archie
Started on: 12-28-2002 01:35 PM
Replies: 3125 (350155 views)
Last post by: RACE on 03-12-2024 12:13 AM
Bridgetown

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-28-2011 09:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BridgetownSend a Private Message to BridgetownEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by nightonfire:

Im sure the Fan is for cooling down the lights, they may be HID, so they would get hot. Also I beleive your right about them not being C4's, I googled C4 and this is what came up,but this is for sure a good
idea.

They are more likely halogen bulbs, HID bulbs actually run at much cooler tempratures then standard halogens do, that is part of the reason they last so much longer.
IP: Logged
Bloozberry

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 311
Rate this member

Report this Post03-28-2011 09:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BloozberrySend a Private Message to BloozberryEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'd bet the fans are to clear condensation from the inside of the light covers.
Marine1981

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-06-2011 01:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Marine1981Click Here to visit Marine1981's HomePageSend a Private Message to Marine1981Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It's taken me days but I have read every single page of this thread. Archie, you and your crew do outstanding work. I can't wait to see you finish your GT40. Are you going to be putting an Automatic in it or is your knee not bothering you as much anymore? Can't wait for more updates. I have never been that good at saving money but I would love to have a chop top notch back done at your shop. Incentive for me to start saving...
87Fiero

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-11-2011 12:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 87FieroSend a Private Message to 87FieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Do we get to see pictures of the new place? How did everything go?
exoticse

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 108
Rate this member

Report this Post05-06-2011 10:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for exoticseSend a Private Message to exoticseEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hey Archie, you get an indirect mention on Wiki !!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pontiac_Fiero

Currently the Fiero has a cult following of owners and customizers. While all Fiero models are considered to be collectible, the 1988 model year is especially sought after by collectors due to its limited production numbers and vastly improved underpinnings. Because of an abundance of replacement parts available from other General Motors vehicles, there are many upgrades that can be done to improve performance and reliability of the cars. Additionally, a multitude of different General Motors engines have been installed by enthusiasts, from the Quad-4 engine to the Chevrolet small-block V8 to the Cadillac 4.9 L and Northstar V8s. The GM 3800 Supercharged is also a very popular choice, as well as the 3.4 L found in the 1993, 1994, or 1995 Camaro/Firebird. One shop in particular that pioneered and now specializes in V8 installations has even gone so far as to install the famed Z06 Corvette powerplant, the 505 horsepower LS7, into a Fiero. Installation of the 4.9 L V8 or smaller engines is possible with few modifications to the car itself, because Fiero prototypes were tested with a similar small aluminum V8 prior to production.[3] As a result, the engine bay is large enough to accommodate engines of that size.

A large following of owners still exists with many web pages, groups, and clubs devoted to the car, and the basic chassis is commonly used as a kit-car platform from wild custom rebodies to Ferrari F355 replicas. Due to their small size and weight, they are also a popular choice for all-electric conversions.[citation needed
1988holleyformula

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 68
Rate this member

Report this Post05-08-2011 04:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 1988holleyformulaSend a Private Message to 1988holleyformulaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by exoticse:

Hey Archie, you get an indirect mention on Wiki !!

because Fiero prototypes were tested with a similar small aluminum V8 prior to production.[3]

Anybody have any info on these prototypes? Any literature or pics? I don't think I've ever heard of that. Pretty cool shout out to V8-Archie though
typhoon

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-16-2011 08:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for typhoonSend a Private Message to typhoonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Free bump for everyone.

------------------
..from S.E. WI
88 GT 5-speed soon to be an LS1
08 Solstice GXP 5 speed
08 Chev Malibu LTZ
08 Caddy SRX w/N*
02 Trailblazer
02 GMC Sierra Denal QUADRASTEER

Marine1981

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-17-2011 12:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Marine1981Click Here to visit Marine1981's HomePageSend a Private Message to Marine1981Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yeah, so Whats up at Archie's??
Archie

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 546
Rate this member

Report this Post05-31-2011 12:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ArchieClick Here to visit Archie's HomePageSend a Private Message to ArchieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Looks like I should update this thread a little bit.

If you've seen the Miura thread lately, you know that we had the car here for a few weeks & it left last week.

We've been working on another ChopTop & I'll post some in process pics later. I don't know what number it is, we'll have to check with Curley because he seems better at keeping the count than I am.

We are at a holding place on that ChopTop right now, so we pulled my GT40 chassis out of storage & have begun the final installation of the body.

I am on a new PC, so let's see if I have PIP configured correctly.

Here are some pics.

Archie

dratts

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 119
Rate this member

Report this Post05-31-2011 12:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for drattsSend a Private Message to drattsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Wow! Are there any fiero parts left on that chassis?
Archie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-31-2011 01:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ArchieClick Here to visit Archie's HomePageSend a Private Message to ArchieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by dratts:

Wow! Are there any fiero parts left on that chassis?

Yes there are.

The floor pan, the front & rear frame horns, the rear bulkhead is still there... as is the cowl up to the top of where the heater box mounts. Also the center gas tank location is still stock.

Also all the front & rear suspension mounting points & cradle mounting are still there.

Archie
PFF
System Bot
Marine1981

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-02-2011 11:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Marine1981Click Here to visit Marine1981's HomePageSend a Private Message to Marine1981Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
So whats the plan for the engine and trans in your GT40? Going with an auto because of your knee or has it gotten better so you can put a stick in there?
exoticse

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-27-2011 02:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for exoticseSend a Private Message to exoticseEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

bump
qwikgta

Feedback score:    (21)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 84
Rate this member

Report this Post06-27-2011 12:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for qwikgtaSend a Private Message to qwikgtaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Arch, can you give us a "pan-o-ramic" shot of the new place. For those of us who made the pilgramage to the old shop, we want to see how the new one compares.

Thanks Arch, I know its a pain.

Rob
Archie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-04-2011 12:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ArchieClick Here to visit Archie's HomePageSend a Private Message to ArchieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by qwikgta:

Arch, can you give us a "pan-o-ramic" shot of the new place. For those of us who made the pilgramage to the old shop, we want to see how the new one compares.

Thanks Arch, I know its a pain.

Rob

The new shop is smaller with a lot less wasted space than I had in the old one.

So far the new smaller shop has worked out much better than I thought it would when we first started to move into it.

We can't have 6 or 7 different projects going on at the same time like we could in the old building but that's fine. We can have 2 to 3 projects at one time in the new building.

I thought I had taken some pics of the new place but I can't seem to find them right now.

So here's a couple & I'll take some more this week.

Archie

[This message has been edited by Archie (edited 07-04-2011).]

Archie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-04-2011 12:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ArchieClick Here to visit Archie's HomePageSend a Private Message to ArchieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Archie

9436 posts
Member since Dec 1999
We have an interesting project going on in the shop right now.

You may remember ChopTop #24 owned by Chris Lewis (the "T" Shirt guy)

He has put in some 300Z lights into his car more than a year ago. Not long ago he bought a fiberglass front Gt bumper 7 installed it.

A few weeks ago he asked us to relocate the lights as needed & to modify the bumper & hood to build some pockets for the lights to make it look good.

These are the only real "before" pics I have (I know there are already a lot of "before" pics posted somewhere on this Forum).

The lights were a little loose in the car & the aim wasn't all that good. So we moved the lights about 1.5" forward, leveled them out & made up a new mounting system that would keep them solid & allow for removal for paint leter.

We needed to modify the hood to conform with the new locations of the lights. We cut out most of the previous work on the hoos. Then we could replace it with a new fiberglass surface & structure.

For the headlight "bucket" area we formed the initial area with cardboard.....

And we made some cardboard backing plates for the area on the hood that needed replacement.

Notice that the cardboard is covered with some tape that will not stick to the fiberglass layup that will go over the cardboard.

Then we glass it up. After the glass sets up we take the cardboard forms out from the underside.

Next we need to so some sanding on the outside & glass work to finish the inside of the hood.

Archie
Fiero Thomas

Feedback score:    (170)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 125
Rate this member

Report this Post07-04-2011 06:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero ThomasSend a Private Message to Fiero ThomasEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Looking good Archie Chris is going to love this!!!!

------------------
1985 Fiero GT 4speed 1986 Fiero GT
1994 BMW 530 V8 1997 BMW 328 85 300ZX

FieroNews~Boots~Bag's~Walle ts~Headliner~Spare Cover~
Visors~Sunshads and T-Top Sunshades~Download the Fieronews Catalog HERE~

qwikgta

Feedback score:    (21)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 84
Rate this member

Report this Post07-04-2011 08:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for qwikgtaSend a Private Message to qwikgtaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Great update Arch. Glad the new shop is working out.

Rob
War Hammer

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-04-2011 09:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for War HammerSend a Private Message to War HammerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Me likey!

------------------
1988 Fiero
3800SC Series 1 w/5spd Getrag
Lowering Springs
Konis
18's w/Pirellis
Corvette Dash Mod
//www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum3/HTML/000099.html

1985 GT
1986 Notchie
1987 Notchie

exoticse

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-05-2011 01:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for exoticseSend a Private Message to exoticseEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

100% better !

That little bump forward and especially the addition of that little shelf or flat area in front of the lights, makes them look like they belong and not something just added on.

Great job Archie and crew. You guys seem to have this custom headlamp thing down to an art !
madcurl

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 314
Rate this member

Report this Post07-05-2011 12:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Exotic tweaking and uniquely executed Archie. Excellent!

------------------

"Friends don't let their friends drive stock."

PFF
System Bot
kennn

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-05-2011 01:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for kennnSend a Private Message to kennnEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hey Archie,

The work is very well executed and the solution looks nice. I'm curious about what do you and the guys do with regard to the metal cross piece to which the front bumper attaches? It appears though it must be interrupted in order to drop the light tray.

Ken
Archie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-05-2011 04:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ArchieClick Here to visit Archie's HomePageSend a Private Message to ArchieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by kennn:

Hey Archie,

The work is very well executed and the solution looks nice. I'm curious about what do you and the guys do with regard to the metal cross piece to which the front bumper attaches? It appears though it must be interrupted in order to drop the light tray.

Ken

That piece was shortened on the ends with the previous installation of the 300Z lights.

You gotta remember that this is a fiberglass bumper, so the shorter cross piece is enough to hold the rigid fiberglass bumper.

Archie
madcurl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-05-2011 05:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The forum is boring. We need more pics please.

[This message has been edited by madcurl (edited 07-05-2011).]

cornersonrails

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-05-2011 05:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cornersonrailsClick Here to visit cornersonrails's HomePageSend a Private Message to cornersonrailsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

This is looking good!!
madcurl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-06-2011 04:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Patiently awaiting more picks of the 300Z headlamps
fieroguru

Feedback score:    (45)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 257
Rate this member

Report this Post07-06-2011 05:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
They are looking much better! Only thing that still bugs me is the front edge of the fender to head light alignment.
kennn

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-06-2011 07:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for kennnSend a Private Message to kennnEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I noticed that too. I bet that gets a little filler piece.

Ken

------------------
'88 Formula V6
'88 GT TPI V8

Archie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-06-2011 07:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ArchieClick Here to visit Archie's HomePageSend a Private Message to ArchieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fieroguru:

They are looking much better! Only thing that still bugs me is the front edge of the fender to head light alignment.

No problem there.

He had that area built up with body filler & the painted fender underneath the filler still had paint on it. So it popped right out of there real easy.

We've since built it up with fiberglass.

Here are todays pics. & you'll see that the fender has been fixed.

We should be shooting some primer on it tomorrow after a little more sanding.

Archie

cornersonrails

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-06-2011 09:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cornersonrailsClick Here to visit cornersonrails's HomePageSend a Private Message to cornersonrailsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Archie:

No problem there.

He had that area built up with body filler & the painted fender underneath the filler still had paint on it. So it popped right out of there real easy.

Archie

Lol...That doesnt suprise me one bit.

We should be shooting some primer on it tomorrow after a little more sanding.

Archie

I am totally blown away with the fiberglassing that you and your crew had done on it. It looks Great
madcurl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-07-2011 11:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

No problem there.

Archie

I see what you did.

PFF
System Bot
fieroguru

Feedback score:    (45)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 257
Rate this member

Report this Post07-07-2011 05:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That looks much, much better now!
Fiero Thomas

Feedback score:    (170)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 125
Rate this member

Report this Post07-07-2011 05:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero ThomasSend a Private Message to Fiero ThomasEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I will say that I see Chris's car about once a week. I got the honor of working on the wiring for his swap and this car will look awesome when completed. Not giving away colors but the paint is here for her.

------------------
1985 Fiero GT 4speed 1986 Fiero GT
1994 BMW 530 V8 1997 BMW 328 85 300ZX

FieroNews~Boots~Bag's~Walle ts~Headliner~Spare Cover~
Visors~Sunshads and T-Top Sunshades~Download the Fieronews Catalog HERE~

exoticse

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-07-2011 05:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for exoticseSend a Private Message to exoticseEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hmmm,.. Archie.might it be worth your trouble to pull a mold of that top bumper section around the headlamps so you guys don't have to re-do it everytime someone wants that mod ?

I think you will probably have more interested, once cornersonrails car hits the streets again.

[This message has been edited by exoticse (edited 07-07-2011).]

Archie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-07-2011 06:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ArchieClick Here to visit Archie's HomePageSend a Private Message to ArchieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
cornersonrails, We've got it in primer.

We still have to mount the lights & front trim pcs.

I'll post pics later this evening.

Give me a call when you can & we'll figure out when is a good time to pick it up.

Archie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-07-2011 09:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ArchieClick Here to visit Archie's HomePageSend a Private Message to ArchieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Archie

9436 posts
Member since Dec 1999
After primer.

I'll take a few pics of the finished nose tomorrow when we put it back together.

Archie
85LAMB

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-07-2011 10:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 85LAMBSend a Private Message to 85LAMBEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hey Archie

Could you please tell me,
what do you use to "paint" the black frame on the back glass on a chop top ?
One of the guys that got your chop top kit is working on his and does not know what to use.
He is not on the computer much and asked me if I could find out
Thanks in advance

PS. good job on the 300 headlamps, they look 100% better.

[This message has been edited by 85LAMB (edited 07-07-2011).]

Archie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-07-2011 10:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ArchieClick Here to visit Archie's HomePageSend a Private Message to ArchieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 85LAMB:

Hey Archie

Could you please tell me,
what do you use to "paint" the black frame on the back glass on a chop top ?
One of the guys that got your chop top kit is working on his and does not know what to use.
He is not on the computer much and asked me if I could find out
Thanks in advance

PS. good job on the 300 headlamps, they look 100% better.

It called an etching primer. It etches into the glass & bonds to it so that when you glue the window in it will hold it tight.

It usually looks like shoe polish & you can get it from any place that installs windshields.

Allmost all new windshields have a black border around them, that's an etcher primer. It lets the windshield glue hold the windshield for a long time..

If you just paint a boarder around the glass, then your glue is going to hold onto the paint & not the glass.

Archie
Tony Kania

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 305
User Banned

Report this Post07-08-2011 12:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Tony KaniaSend a Private Message to Tony KaniaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Love the light mod. I just removed and filled my nose badge in a few weeks back, so that is good in my book.

The add above the wing made me chuckle.

Tony
85LAMB

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-08-2011 08:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 85LAMBSend a Private Message to 85LAMBEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Archie
I gave him the info and he is going to look for it

Thanks again
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 79 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20   21   22   23   24   25   26   27   28   29   30   31   32   33   34   35   36   37   38   39   40   41   42   43   44   45   46   47   48   49   50   51   52   53   54   55   56   57   58   59   60   61   62   63   64   65   66   67   68   69   70   71   72   73   74   75   76   77   78   79 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock