Pennock's Fiero Forum
  The Construction Zone
  What's Up at Archie's (Page 35)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 79 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20   21   22   23   24   25   26   27   28   29   30   31   32   33   34   35   36   37   38   39   40   41   42   43   44   45   46   47   48   49   50   51   52   53   54   55   56   57   58   59   60   61   62   63   64   65   66   67   68   69   70   71   72   73   74   75   76   77   78   79 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
What's Up at Archie's by Archie
Started on: 12-28-2002 01:35 PM
Replies: 3125 (350420 views)
Last post by: RACE on 03-12-2024 12:13 AM
mcaanda

Feedback score:    (19)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 129
Rate this member

Report this Post02-21-2006 07:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mcaandaSend a Private Message to mcaandaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Archie:
Yes Rob & Kris are still getting it done.
Here you can see that they've been temporarily assigned to the 4.9 6 spped department.......

Archie

Hey guys, for "work today" you get to go see about how to make a 4.9 and a 6 speed manual transmission one. Oh yea, dont forget to clock in!

Sheesh - what a job!

Not for a minute think that I dont belive that those guys dont bust their tails at work, but man - if you got to make a livin; what a way to make a living!

You acceptin' apps?

--Allen

------------------

** RICE - it's whats cookin **
IP: Logged
LZeitgeist

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 126
Rate this member

Report this Post02-21-2006 08:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LZeitgeistSend a Private Message to LZeitgeistEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Yes Rob & Kris are still getting it done.

Here you can see that they've been temporarily assigned to the 4.9 6 spped department.......

Archie

Great pic!! Glad to see 'em both doing what they're great at. Thanks, guys!!

------------------
Patrick W. Heinske -- LZeitgeist@aol.com
1988 Red Fiero Formula Convertible
*Desktop Photo Here*

Archie

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 546
Rate this member

Report this Post02-21-2006 08:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ArchieClick Here to visit Archie's HomePageSend a Private Message to ArchieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Archie

Wooops..... Wrong picture........... try this one

Archie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-21-2006 08:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ArchieClick Here to visit Archie's HomePageSend a Private Message to ArchieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Archie

9436 posts
Member since Dec 1999
It would be great to see your car again & what better place than Carlisle.

As for trailering it there. Rent/Borrow/Buy a trailer, I've done each one of them from time to time & they all will get you there.

Because of the chance of rain that time of the year, my Roadster will be in the trailer (it's a sun only car) & I'll be driving the Solstice 'cuz it has a top.

Archie

Originally posted by ferrobi:

Archie - I have to say your new shop sure looks good. I have to call you and talk about Carlisle. I want to go and bring my ride but I want to trailer it there. There lies the ? How to.

Rob

[This message has been edited by Archie (edited 02-21-2006).]

lou_dias

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 67
Rate this member

Report this Post02-21-2006 11:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for lou_diasSend a Private Message to lou_diasEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

The last of the wheels came in today, they look good. We'll need lugnuts & 4 more of the lugnut covers

Some of the Held stuff came in today too. Man they look like an Erector set, looks like a lot of work to put all that stuff together. Still waiting for the spindles, rotors & some other stuff I guess. You or them should get me a parts list so I know when I have everything.

Archie

The wheels and tires in that pic isn't mine. Not bad-looking though...
I'll email Lee about a parts list... Thanks for the update. I hope the Held stuff isn't too much of an issue for you.

lou_dias

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-21-2006 11:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for lou_diasSend a Private Message to lou_diasEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

lou_dias

5258 posts
Member since Jun 2000

Wooops..... Wrong picture........... try this one

LOL, you had me worried for a second!

Archie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-21-2006 11:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ArchieClick Here to visit Archie's HomePageSend a Private Message to ArchieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by lou_dias:

LOL, you had me worried for a second!

ROFLMAO

lou_dias

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-22-2006 12:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for lou_diasSend a Private Message to lou_diasEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

ROFLMAO

but damn don't my wheels look nice?! I'll have to replace those ugly lug nut covers with some chrome ones or maybe some with the Fiero badge on them...

Here's what Lee had to say about the parts list:

Lou,

Everything has been shipped, except for the bearings and the rotors. The
rotors will come from my supplier and will be shipped this week. The
bearings will be shipped from here this week also.

The UPS tag on each box indicates the contents. The box with the rear Bump
Steer Kit is marked as such. The box with the brake kit components is
marked. I did also put the spindles in that box too, since there was room,
which is indicated on the UPS tag also. The cross member is marked as such.
The box marked front suspension components has the parts for the suspension,
control arms, ball joints, hardware, shafts, etc. I have the instructions
with parts lists in an envelope in one of the boxes. The only thing that may
be missing is the parts list for the Slalom Suspension. I will check on that
and get back to you.

Regards,

Lee

Looks like we're almost ready to ROCK!

[This message has been edited by lou_dias (edited 02-22-2006).]

ltlfrari

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 127
Rate this member

Report this Post02-22-2006 01:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ltlfrariClick Here to visit ltlfrari's HomePageSend a Private Message to ltlfrariEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'd be interested to hear Archie's comments on the Held stuff as he does the build as I'm probably going to get rid of my front end stuff.

------------------
Dave E

www.ltlfrari.com

madcurl

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 314
Rate this member

Report this Post02-22-2006 01:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Looks like we're almost ready to ROCK!

Okay, I'm lost. Which car is lou_dias's? Is it the white notchie car? Come on Arch, don't keep us out of the "loop" hehe. I read this thread like it's some type of a newpaper. So please, give me my daily "fix."

[This message has been edited by madcurl (edited 02-22-2006).]

lou_dias

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-22-2006 05:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for lou_diasSend a Private Message to lou_diasEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Don't get too excited, I'm just his 2.8 guinea pig. Silver 87 GT w/Mr. Mikes black leather seats, those 16x8 Chrome '99 Camaro rims, a 6 speed, a Held 12" brake kit, slalom front end kit and rear-bumpsteer correction kit.

I'll be doing an exhorberant over-bored roller-cammed 3.4 swap once it's home...and when it blows up, I'll get a v8...

[This message has been edited by lou_dias (edited 02-22-2006).]

PFF
System Bot
Archie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-23-2006 09:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ArchieClick Here to visit Archie's HomePageSend a Private Message to ArchieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Could this be the 1st 4.9 6 speed?

Archie

lou_dias

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-23-2006 09:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for lou_diasSend a Private Message to lou_diasEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Damn that was fast!
Archie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-23-2006 09:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ArchieClick Here to visit Archie's HomePageSend a Private Message to ArchieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Damn that was fast!

Sorry, no it's not done yet. It is going very well but it's just the trial fit. We still are waiting for a few parts & we have to make 2 of each of the transmission mounts. Looks like it will be about 2 weeks before it's ready to drive.

I shoulda' explained that in my 1st post.

Archie

[This message has been edited by Archie (edited 02-23-2006).]

jscott1

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 415
Rate this member

Report this Post02-24-2006 09:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

... those 16x8 Chrome '99 Camaro rims

Just for the record, If those are factory wheels then they are polished aluminum and not chrome wheels.

J Gunsett

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 50
Rate this member

Report this Post02-25-2006 10:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for J GunsettClick Here to visit J Gunsett's HomePageSend a Private Message to J GunsettEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I was over at Archie's today and thought I would share a picture of Archie's Solstice and the progress being made. I meant to get a picture of the yellow roadster and some how I forgot, but he has the engine and 6 speed in. Will he get it done in time for Daytona?

He has made good progress on the 4.9 six speed. He hopes to have that one up and running in about 2 weeks.

Had a great day at your shop Archie.... Thanks

Jack

lou_dias

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-27-2006 06:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for lou_diasSend a Private Message to lou_diasEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jscott1:

Just for the record, If those are factory wheels then they are polished aluminum and not chrome wheels.

Maybe Archie could verify. The prior owner who is a friend of mine told me for that year they also offered the 5 spoke wheels in chrome as an option.

Archie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-27-2006 07:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ArchieClick Here to visit Archie's HomePageSend a Private Message to ArchieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Maybe Archie could verify. The prior owner who is a friend of mine told me for that year they also offered the 5 spoke wheels in chrome as an option.

Heck, how would I know? I've been working exclusively on Fieros for the last 18 years.

Archie

lou_dias

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-27-2006 12:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for lou_diasSend a Private Message to lou_diasEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I meant by looking at them. They looked like chrome to me, not polished aluminum.
m0sh_man

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 163
Rate this member

Report this Post02-27-2006 02:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for m0sh_manSend a Private Message to m0sh_manEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
thats not really somthing worth fussing over, Ill tell you guys right now, i have 2 rims here that look just like those, they are chrome plated, over alloy rims.

matthew

ToonTownfiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-27-2006 04:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ToonTownfieroClick Here to visit ToonTownfiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to ToonTownfieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That looks very mean!

------------------

1985 2M4
-A/F and Voltmeter gauges in A-Pillar gauge pod
-Jenzen Bass tube............................................-Mini scorpion wing
-MTX 250W RMS amplifier..................................-2003 Subaru WRX 16" rims
-Viper Security system

PFF
System Bot
Archie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-27-2006 10:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ArchieClick Here to visit Archie's HomePageSend a Private Message to ArchieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
A little update............

Got 2 more new F40 6 speed transmissions & associated parts in today.

One of them has Dias written on it & the other one could be yours.

The engine/trans is going back into the 4.9 car tomorrow for the last time. I have pictures of it all sitting on the newly painted cradle but I forgot to bring those pics home tonight.

Lots of pics tomorrow.

Archie

FieroWannaBe

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-27-2006 10:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroWannaBeSend a Private Message to FieroWannaBeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Archie, would you ever be willing to do a 3800 6 speed?
lou_dias

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-27-2006 10:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for lou_diasSend a Private Message to lou_diasEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

One of them has Dias written on it

Lots of pics tomorrow.

Archie

YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAW!

PaulJK

Feedback score:    (25)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 237
Rate this member

Report this Post02-27-2006 10:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PaulJKSend a Private Message to PaulJKEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Archie, YOU ARE MAKING ME WEAK !! (my charge card is starting to heat up .... ) How much would it be for the LS-1 / 6- speed swap if you used all USED parts instead of new ones ?

[This message has been edited by PaulJK (edited 02-27-2006).]

lou_dias

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-28-2006 08:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for lou_diasSend a Private Message to lou_diasEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by PaulJK:

Archie, YOU ARE MAKING ME WEAK !!

Try actually having your car there and waiting - that's weakening...

Archie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-28-2006 11:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ArchieClick Here to visit Archie's HomePageSend a Private Message to ArchieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by PaulJK:

Archie, YOU ARE MAKING ME WEAK !! (my charge card is starting to heat up .... ) How much would it be for the LS-1 / 6- speed swap if you used all USED parts instead of new ones ?

Earlier in this thread, I gave the following estimate of cost.........

Including a NEW LS1 engine wire harness, ECM Etc. Also including the new six speed trans & all new hardware for it, new clutch, 4 core rad, exhaust, all the LS1 V-8 kit parts, Labor & testing the total would be at about 19500.00. Of that amount, $6400.00 goes for the engine, harness & ECM, MAP etc.

The transmission I put in my Roadster was a used transmission, it had 4000 miles on it & I got it from a yard that strips some GM pre=production cars when GM is done with them. That particular car was actually built some 5 months before GM started production on the G6 Coupes that have that transmission. I think it's going to be very unlikely to find very many used G6 6 speeds for quite some time yet. I know there are several people who comb the online yards weekly for used 6 speeds. The ones that you do find will likely be priced quite high compared to a new transmission.

As you can see from my above quote, I've alloted $6400 for engine & related parts. About $1400 of that is for aftermarket harness & ECM by Street & Performance, so you'll still need that (or equivalent) on a used engine. As far as used LS1 engines are concerned, I'm sure you can save a few $$$, however, I don't buy used engines for customers. If they show up here with a used engine, I'll put it in a Fiero for them but I won't hunt down used engines for them. So, if you do some legwork & get lucky, you could save maybe $1000 or less, on a transmission & maybe $2500 on a used engine if you trust the guy you buy it from.

Hope that helps.

Archie

el_roy1985

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-28-2006 11:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for el_roy1985Send a Private Message to el_roy1985Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have two cars that could REALLY use that 6 speed. Doubt I could afford even one of them though. Maybe sometime in the future...
Archie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-28-2006 11:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ArchieClick Here to visit Archie's HomePageSend a Private Message to ArchieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by FieroWannaBe:

Archie, would you ever be willing to do a 3800 6 speed?

We don't install 6 cylinder engines but if the 6 cylinder swap was installed by someone who knows what he's doing & if it runs, we can do a 6 speed swap to it.

Try actually having your car there and waiting - that's weakening...

Any idea when the rest of the parts will get here? BTW, looks like we are missing 3 of the steel sleeves for the bushings on the shocks, also need a spanner wrench for the coil overs & we only have one set of springs/shocks. Look at the picture I posted on page 34.

Originally posted by el_roy1985:

I have two cars that could REALLY use that 6 speed. Doubt I could afford even one of them though. Maybe sometime in the future...

Don't feel bad, you're just the guy that I do this kind of stuff for. When I design & develop stuff like the LS1 swaps, the 6 speed swaps & the V-8 Solstice, I'm working on the future. Sure some people can afford to do these kinds of things to their cars right now but 3, 4 or 5 years down the road the prices on LS1 engines, G6 Transmissions & Solstices will all come down to where the average guy can afford them. Those are the people that I'm developing parts for now. IMHO, the future of the Fiero "Hobby" 10 to 15 years from now depends on the products & ideas we can develop now to replace worn out 20+ year old engines & transmissions so the Fiero can continue to keep pace with the new cars.

Ok, so what's up today?????????

Archie

lou_dias

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-01-2006 10:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for lou_diasSend a Private Message to lou_diasEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hi Archie,
The spring/shocks are for the front. I'm leaving the rear suspension stock. All I'm doing to the rear is the bump-steer correction kit and the big brake kit and new 5x4.75" bearings. Hope that clears things up. Taking that into account, let me know if you feel anything is still missing.

- Lou

1fastcaddy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-01-2006 07:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 1fastcaddySend a Private Message to 1fastcaddyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
so how is your solstice swap doing? looks like its coming along.
PFF
System Bot
GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-03-2006 09:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for GTSend a Private Message to GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yeah buddy, a 6-speed 4.9...THAT'S what I'm talking about!

------------------
-Rick Stewart
85GT 5.0CaddyV8/Getrag 5-spd in progress...
www.V8Fiero.com

darkhorizon

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 451
Rate this member

Report this Post03-03-2006 12:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for darkhorizonSend a Private Message to darkhorizonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Has archie gotten any calls from the discovery channel yet? I think its only a matter of time before a camera crew gets into that garage, with all the stuff that goes on it there, you guys make all those motorbike guys look like assembly line workers.
J Gunsett

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 50
Rate this member

Report this Post03-03-2006 02:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for J GunsettClick Here to visit J Gunsett's HomePageSend a Private Message to J GunsettEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
For the 4.9 guys out there, Archie has come up with a starter that you do not have to notch the bellhousing. And it works for the 4, 5 and 6 speed transmissions.
jscott1

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 415
Rate this member

Report this Post03-03-2006 02:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by J Gunsett:

And it works for the 4, 5 and 6 speed transmissions.

I have GOT to get a manual on my 4.9!

GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-03-2006 03:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GTSend a Private Message to GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Archie has come up with a starter that you do not have to notch the bellhousing.

ACK! Now you tell me... I have a 53,000 mile Getrag that I picked up at the U-pullit yard for $150 (they pulled it for me or it would have been only $75!!) and I finally 'notched' it last month. I hated to do it. I wish I would have known. Next time I guess.

-Rick

Archie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-03-2006 11:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ArchieClick Here to visit Archie's HomePageSend a Private Message to ArchieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
From this...........

To this ................

We now have an, otherwise good, 4 speed transmission with a big hole hacked in it.

Archie

85SE
From: Paradise, Newfoundland, Canada (yes, the town is named Paradise!)

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-04-2006 08:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 85SEClick Here to visit 85SE's HomePageSend a Private Message to 85SEEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You know, I'd read about notching the case to get the tranny and 4.9 to mate together, but I had no idea how severe it looked (even if I've read a zillion times that it doesn't compromise the integrity of the part.)

Thanks for posting Archie.

Andrew

------------------

Proud owner of an 85 coupe with 41k miles
www.unmentionable.ca

NY_FIERO

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-04-2006 11:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NY_FIEROClick Here to visit NY_FIERO's HomePageSend a Private Message to NY_FIEROEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I suppose that's not the part of the tranny that's pront to failure but ... man - o -man that's freaky looking.
GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-04-2006 11:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GTSend a Private Message to GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I just don't like the idea of having a big gaping hole in my tranny where water and rocks and grime and salt can come up and get in my clutch and TO bearing. I'm going to build an aluminum cover over it to minimize contamination, but sheesh...
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 79 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20   21   22   23   24   25   26   27   28   29   30   31   32   33   34   35   36   37   38   39   40   41   42   43   44   45   46   47   48   49   50   51   52   53   54   55   56   57   58   59   60   61   62   63   64   65   66   67   68   69   70   71   72   73   74   75   76   77   78   79 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock