Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat - Archive
  LT1 Stinger going together (Page 15)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 28 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20   21   22   23   24   25   26   27   28 
Previous Page | Next Page
LT1 Stinger going together by Archie
Started on: 01-09-2002 10:50 PM
Replies: 1108
Last post by: Archie on 12-16-2004 09:29 PM
MinnGreenGT

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 274
Rate this member

Report this Post01-31-2002 12:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MinnGreenGTClick Here to visit MinnGreenGT's HomePageSend a Private Message to MinnGreenGTDirect Link to This Post
This is a suicide door on a Blazer for reference:
IP: Logged
85SE
From: Paradise, Newfoundland, Canada (yes, the town is named Paradise!)

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-31-2002 12:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 85SEClick Here to visit 85SE's HomePageSend a Private Message to 85SEDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Jaygee79:
ok I have to ask...what is suicide doors?

Archie? helloooo? are you awake????

Jaygee,

Suicide doors are ones that open "opposite" to normal...i.e. hinged from the back and open at the front. Not sure where the suicide name comes from. Perhaps it's because you can actually easily open a door and commit suicide by jumping out at 80 mph :-)

Suicide doors were - and still are - a mainstay of Hotrods built on 20s and 30s cars but the technique (which I love!) hasn't much been applied to anything made in the last 40 years.

Hope this helps,
Andrew
PS: Archie, I think I'm in love. Perhaps I won't mention the Stinger to my finacee...might leave me standing alone come June I agree with what someone else said ...nice, smooth styling that really accentuates what the designers of the original Fiero were probably all about. Great job!

------------------
Andrew Menchions - 85SE - AKA Fieroless in Newfoundland

Don_Chi_Chi

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-31-2002 12:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Don_Chi_ChiClick Here to visit Don_Chi_Chi's HomePageSend a Private Message to Don_Chi_ChiDirect Link to This Post
Suicide doors suck. They are for pimped out old cars, not exotics. IF any door mods are made, there should be Maclaren F1 style doors. Although those would be tougher than hell to do!
4BanGinFun

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-31-2002 12:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 4BanGinFunClick Here to visit 4BanGinFun's HomePageSend a Private Message to 4BanGinFunDirect Link to This Post
thats a nice blazer!

archie wakey wakey time to post them pics and then off to th show young man

suicide doors when you get going at speeds 80-100mph plus if you open them the sucktion will pull you out and hence suicide hehe

[This message has been edited by 4BanGinFun (edited 01-31-2002).]

Denny

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-31-2002 01:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DennySend a Private Message to DennyDirect Link to This Post
Have to agree, looks like you've found one of the "secrets." It's actually easier to see on the non-magnified picture. Definitely suicide doors. That is the mirror, with the shadow delow it.

Sharp eyes!

Smoooooth GT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 310
Rate this member

Report this Post01-31-2002 01:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Smoooooth GTSend a Private Message to Smoooooth GTDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 4BanGinFun:
hey smooth just to pas the time why dont you post a pic or 2 of youre car ive never seen it

ok here's a few... I not going to post any recent one's( ex. door handles shaved, Viper Style fender's, etc.)
I am still trying to keep most of the 'new' design under wrap's for a while!!

------------------

www.thefibersmith.com Technical Support (903) 825-7744
"Smoooooth GT"
Euro Rear taillight's, Shaved door handles, sidetrim, Custom-Double-side scoop's, sail scoop's, Custom 'VENTED' hood, Rustang decklid scoop, BMW Z~3 vent's, Ferrari~308 headlight cover's, Custom RE-designed Fender's, Custom made-front and rear fascia's...

pHoOl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-31-2002 01:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pHoOlClick Here to visit pHoOl's HomePageSend a Private Message to pHoOlDirect Link to This Post
You car customizers and your secrets!!! just show us! I guess i kinda can't believe that we aren't further analyzing the suicide doors to lambo doors thing. Have you noticed that none of the pics of the doors show hinges? Neither of them did, they had part that was cut off. It could all be a hoax. And trust me, if Archie is sitting there building that thing, it wouldn't be that hard to take the door off after mounting it, to make it look like suicide to throw us off.

But dammit, i'm gettin anxious!!!

------------------
Kills:
97 Neon R/T

AIM: phool88fiero

4BanGinFun

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-31-2002 01:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 4BanGinFunClick Here to visit 4BanGinFun's HomePageSend a Private Message to 4BanGinFunDirect Link to This Post
thanks smooth thats cool
85GToronto

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-31-2002 01:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 85GTorontoSend a Private Message to 85GTorontoDirect Link to This Post
Actually for most applications suicide style doors are supposed to make getting in and out of a vehicle much easier(think about it-sit down-swing legs in). The chopped roof and 'lowness' of a/this Fiero might not make that true.
I believe the suicide name refers to the fact that with poor quality door latches that they had on old cars if the latch didn't catch properly the door opens rather violently at speed when the wind catches it, as you can imagine. Doesn't do any wonders for the bodywork let me tell you!
Modern hotrodders use better quality double bear claw latches and often a backup "suicide pin" latch much like the deadbolt on a household door for extra safety. I'm doing them on my 50 Ford truck-I think they look awesome.
I won't even reply to the "pimped out old car" comment-lol
Archie

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 546
Rate this member

Report this Post01-31-2002 01:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ArchieClick Here to visit Archie's HomePageSend a Private Message to ArchieDirect Link to This Post
Well, I did oversleep, the power was out this AM at home so we are running a little late today.

I promised pics today and you'll get them starting now.

I'm sorry but because of time being short & snow all over outside, the 1st pics. will be in the shop, so please excuse the in the shop pics.

Also because I'm running late today, I'm just going to post pics. and no descriptions.

I'll take more & BETTER pics. from McCormick Place when I get home tonight.

Smoooooth GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-31-2002 01:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Smoooooth GTSend a Private Message to Smoooooth GTDirect Link to This Post
OMG... you ARE THE MAN Archie!!

[This message has been edited by Smoooooth GT (edited 01-31-2002).]

PFF
System Bot
Don_Chi_Chi

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-31-2002 01:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Don_Chi_ChiClick Here to visit Don_Chi_Chi's HomePageSend a Private Message to Don_Chi_ChiDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 85GToronto:

I won't even reply to the "pimped out old car" comment-lol

Its true. They looks alright on that blazer, but have you seen some of those sucicde door jobbies on 70's cutlasses and stuff? They look pathetic and I just don't think they are fitting on an exotic looking car. Now if that is the case and it looks good fine, I'll change my tune quick and probably deny ever saying they suck in the first place!

l_bilyk

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-31-2002 01:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for l_bilykClick Here to visit l_bilyk's HomePageSend a Private Message to l_bilykDirect Link to This Post
WOW!!!!!
Philphine

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 54
Rate this member

Report this Post01-31-2002 01:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PhilphineSend a Private Message to PhilphineDirect Link to This Post
not to run the thread off on a tangent (let's call it small talk while we wait), smoooth, what are you going to do if you ever have an accident? it's one of the things i wonder with my own since some of my panels are glassed together already.
4BanGinFun

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-31-2002 01:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 4BanGinFunClick Here to visit 4BanGinFun's HomePageSend a Private Message to 4BanGinFunDirect Link to This Post
thats not what we wanted to see show us the secrets???? come on buddy ???? pleasse!!
MinnGreenGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-31-2002 01:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MinnGreenGTClick Here to visit MinnGreenGT's HomePageSend a Private Message to MinnGreenGTDirect Link to This Post
smooth... feel free to edit your post to remove the double-posting of the photos (in respect for those with a dial-up).

Hmmm... no SC or Turbo- I was wrong there. Keep 'em coming Archie!

Smoooooth GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-31-2002 01:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Smoooooth GTSend a Private Message to Smoooooth GTDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Philphine:
not to run the thread off on a tangent (let's call it small talk while we wait), smoooth, what are you going to do if you ever have an accident? it's one of the things i wonder with my own since some of my panels are glassed together already.

Hhhmm.. just re-glass them... won't be as bad as most think....

Don_Chi_Chi

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-31-2002 01:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Don_Chi_ChiClick Here to visit Don_Chi_Chi's HomePageSend a Private Message to Don_Chi_ChiDirect Link to This Post
What are those things that look like braces in the back windows?
Devotshka

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-31-2002 01:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DevotshkaSend a Private Message to DevotshkaDirect Link to This Post

Only question is, where the drivers side door?

pHoOl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-31-2002 01:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pHoOlClick Here to visit pHoOl's HomePageSend a Private Message to pHoOlDirect Link to This Post
Removable center piece... he mentioned that early on

EDIT::: ha ha ha, told ya the door wasn't attached!

[This message has been edited by pHoOl (edited 01-31-2002).]

85GToronto

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-31-2002 01:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 85GTorontoSend a Private Message to 85GTorontoDirect Link to This Post
I know the suicide door hinges I have seen tend to carry the door out from the body a bit. It all depends how much "curve" the door skins have when you set them up. I'd say that the fuel door could be hiding the metal "strap" that usually holds the door on. Why its open I have no idea. I'm still not convinced 100% one way or the other......
I AM learning that Archie can be a sneaky one, hehehe
PFF
System Bot
MinnGreenGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-31-2002 01:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MinnGreenGTClick Here to visit MinnGreenGT's HomePageSend a Private Message to MinnGreenGTDirect Link to This Post

[This message has been edited by MinnGreenGT (edited 01-31-2002).]

4BanGinFun

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-31-2002 01:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 4BanGinFunClick Here to visit 4BanGinFun's HomePageSend a Private Message to 4BanGinFunDirect Link to This Post
no that scoop looks like its stock

archie you are such a tease!

tesmith66

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 135
Rate this member

Report this Post01-31-2002 01:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tesmith66Send a Private Message to tesmith66Direct Link to This Post
Why is the pass. side mirror visible in the above pic??

It is either an open suicide door, or the door is not attached on thet side, either.

I'm saying suicide doors.

------------------
Timothy E. Smith
1986 SE V6
1984 Coupe
1996 Ford Probe GT
1999 Chevrolet Silverado Z71
1975 Chevrolet ElCamino SS

Archie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-31-2002 01:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ArchieClick Here to visit Archie's HomePageSend a Private Message to ArchieDirect Link to This Post
Another wonderful Mr. Mike's interior

pHoOl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-31-2002 01:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pHoOlClick Here to visit pHoOl's HomePageSend a Private Message to pHoOlDirect Link to This Post
hmm... now that pic of the passenger side is intersting
MinnGreenGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-31-2002 01:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MinnGreenGTClick Here to visit MinnGreenGT's HomePageSend a Private Message to MinnGreenGTDirect Link to This Post
Love the interior... think you should piant the dash fascias matching yellow. They look a little funny in grey...

Archie- you are such a tease, and by design none the less.

Draven81

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-31-2002 01:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Draven81Send a Private Message to Draven81Direct Link to This Post
anyone else notice the little switch by the cigarette lighter in the second picture?
4BanGinFun

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-31-2002 01:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 4BanGinFunClick Here to visit 4BanGinFun's HomePageSend a Private Message to 4BanGinFunDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by pHoOl:
hmm... now that pic of the passenger side is intersting

what do you mean?

DRH

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 55
Rate this member

Report this Post01-31-2002 01:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DRHSend a Private Message to DRHDirect Link to This Post
I think it does have suicide doors. The passenger side mirror shouldn't show from that angle (unless it was on an open suicide door). Also, if you zoom way in, just below and above the gas door is a little bit of yellow that could be the edge of an open suicide door ( "accidently" cut off in the photo).

Edited to show which pic...

[This message has been edited by DRH (edited 01-31-2002).]

Smoooooth GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-31-2002 01:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Smoooooth GTSend a Private Message to Smoooooth GTDirect Link to This Post
That lil' switch by the ashtray is 'pop' button's for the door's.. I assume!! Why do we even 'assume' about Archie anymore...lol
PFF
System Bot
Galen
No longer registered
Report this Post01-31-2002 01:39 PM   Send a Private Message to Smoooooth GTDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Draven81:
anyone else notice the little switch by the cigarette lighter in the second picture?

its a reflection, nothing more.

------------------
Ray - Fierosite.com - The Donut Man!

Draven81

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-31-2002 01:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Draven81Send a Private Message to Draven81Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Smoooooth GT:
That lil' switch by the ashtray is 'pop' button's for the door's.. I assume!! Why do we even 'assume' about Archie anymore...lol

no no no...by the LIGHTER...

MinnGreenGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-31-2002 01:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MinnGreenGTClick Here to visit MinnGreenGT's HomePageSend a Private Message to MinnGreenGTDirect Link to This Post

Agreed

What 85GToronto & DRH are saying makes sense... we probably can't see the driver's door due to a combination of "creative cropping" of the photo on Archie's part & the distance the door must swing to open properly.

DRH

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 55
Rate this member

Report this Post01-31-2002 01:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DRHSend a Private Message to DRHDirect Link to This Post
Kinda interesting that there are no visible interior door handles either...
Smoooooth GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-31-2002 01:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Smoooooth GTSend a Private Message to Smoooooth GTDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Galen:
its a reflection, nothing more.

I think he meant ashtray.. not lighter... look again!

my badd.. ok lighter...lol

Draven81

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-31-2002 01:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Draven81Send a Private Message to Draven81Direct Link to This Post

what about the power windows? and look at the second picture of the passenger side through the drivers window... pop button is ON the door
Archie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-31-2002 01:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ArchieClick Here to visit Archie's HomePageSend a Private Message to ArchieDirect Link to This Post
That pic I posted last night was an error.....something about too many brews.

MinnGreenGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-31-2002 01:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MinnGreenGTClick Here to visit MinnGreenGT's HomePageSend a Private Message to MinnGreenGTDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by DRH:
Kinda interesting that there are no visible [b]interior door handles either...[/B]

Have to use the remote door-poppers from both the inside & outside! Just hope your battery doesn't die along the way

On the interior door panels, there is a small round object (visible on both sides)- it could be a manual door release... or somethin'...

Galen
No longer registered
Report this Post01-31-2002 01:44 PM   Send a Private Message to MinnGreenGTDirect Link to This Post

I think he meant ashtray.. not lighter... look again!

my badd.. ok lighter...lol

I've looked over it over and over again, even sent it to the boys in washington, they show no tampering and its merely a reflection

------------------
Ray - Fierosite.com - The Donut Man!

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 28 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20   21   22   23   24   25   26   27   28 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock