Pennock's Fiero Forum
  The Construction Zone
  What's Up at Archie's (Page 59)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 79 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20   21   22   23   24   25   26   27   28   29   30   31   32   33   34   35   36   37   38   39   40   41   42   43   44   45   46   47   48   49   50   51   52   53   54   55   56   57   58   59   60   61   62   63   64   65   66   67   68   69   70   71   72   73   74   75   76   77   78   79 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
What's Up at Archie's by Archie
Started on: 12-28-2002 01:35 PM
Replies: 3125 (350155 views)
Last post by: RACE on 03-12-2024 12:13 AM
Tinkrr

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-11-2009 01:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TinkrrSend a Private Message to TinkrrEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
What about louvres instead of side windows to vent the engine compartment?

If the louvre angle were correct they would not create a blind spot, or at least not much greater than the stock windows.
IP: Logged
ClayTonto

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-11-2009 03:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ClayTontoSend a Private Message to ClayTontoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by exoticse:
any pics of the wheels /

Only have a stock photo, mine will have gloss black powdercoated centers. It will probably be 3-4 weeks before I recieve the wheels, I do have my tires though, and can't wait to roast,ahem, break them in.

exoticse

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 108
Rate this member

Report this Post02-12-2009 01:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for exoticseSend a Private Message to exoticseEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Clay,

Are you bringing the car to the Daytona show, end of March ?
ClayTonto

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-12-2009 02:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ClayTontoSend a Private Message to ClayTontoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It's a possibility, but I don't think it will be ready.
madcurl

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 314
Rate this member

Report this Post02-12-2009 10:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Archie:

There has to be a way to build it so you don't need a couple of people to open it. On a street car, it's harder to use the Light weight reasoning while the owner of the car Is walking around the car working on getting the clip open.

Archie

I like the clip, but there's always areas of improvement.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N9ktAIqBN7g

Everyone's seen the vents on Madcurl's #20. I'd be willing to bet that his engine compartment now is a lot cooler than is was with the stock Fiero GT decklid on it.

Archie

So far, so good and w/o any issues regardless of the weather condition- sun, rain, sleet, or snow. If it works for real exotics then we shouldn't have any issues.

[This message has been edited by madcurl (edited 02-12-2009).]

madcurl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-12-2009 11:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

madcurl

21401 posts
Member since Jul 2003

You know, there's a lot of neat stuff going on this car.

I wonder if I should just put it all in a build thread.

What do you guys think????

Archie

Where's the build thread?
Archie

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 546
Rate this member

Report this Post02-17-2009 01:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ArchieClick Here to visit Archie's HomePageSend a Private Message to ArchieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by madcurl:

Where's the build thread?

//www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/098390.html
Archie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-17-2009 08:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ArchieClick Here to visit Archie's HomePageSend a Private Message to ArchieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Archie

9436 posts
Member since Dec 1999
Yesterday FieroBoBo picked up the 1st LS376-480 Fiero ever built & he drove it back home to NJ.

Here's a few shots of it.

Archie

madcurl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-17-2009 09:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Yesterday FieroBoBo picked up the 1st LS376-480 Fiero ever built & he drove it back home to NJ.
Archie

Any word from Fierobobo while on the road (location)? Is he smiling from ear-to-ear?
pontiackid86

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 344
Rate this member

Report this Post02-17-2009 09:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pontiackid86Send a Private Message to pontiackid86Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Here's a few shots of it.

Archie

haha you know there is a thin line between having fun and pure insanity.

Archie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-17-2009 11:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ArchieClick Here to visit Archie's HomePageSend a Private Message to ArchieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Any word from Fierobobo while on the road (location)? Is he smiling from ear-to-ear?

Oh, he got home about 2:00 this afternoon (his time).

He said he enjoyed the trip & it would do 95 on an entrance ramp in 2nd gear or something like that.

He stayed over someplace in PA for about 6 hours, otherwise drove straight thru.

He said he got 22 or 23 MPG with the 5 speed.

He said he was going to go to sleep to catch up on his rest.

Archie
PFF
System Bot
ClayTonto

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-18-2009 02:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ClayTontoSend a Private Message to ClayTontoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

He said he got 22 or 23 MPG with the 5 speed.

Archie

That what I get with my 383, the 6-speed, and a 750 Holley. Gotta love that transmission
revin

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 234
Rate this member

Report this Post02-18-2009 09:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for revinSend a Private Message to revinEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
How about a pic of the shoehorn you used to put that mother in!
HC

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-18-2009 02:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for HCClick Here to visit HC's HomePageSend a Private Message to HCEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That is one awesome car! What is the tire size on that? They look really good.

[This message has been edited by HC (edited 02-18-2009).]

madcurl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-18-2009 02:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Archie

Question(s); any additional pics of Fierobobo's intake? Was the cut-out for the intake the same as Troy's intake cut-out? Did size pipping did you use? What size is the air filter and pics? Any pics (outside views from the IRM rocker) showing filter or is the filter unseen? How far down does the intake "sit" behind the IRM rocker vent?
Archie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-18-2009 08:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ArchieClick Here to visit Archie's HomePageSend a Private Message to ArchieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Question(s); any additional pics of Fierobobo's intake? Was the cut-out for the intake the same as Troy's intake cut-out? Did size pipping did you use? What size is the air filter and pics? Any pics (outside views from the IRM rocker) showing filter or is the filter unseen? How far down does the intake "sit" behind the IRM rocker vent?

Bob's CIA goes into the area in front of the wheel well liner by going thru the sheet metal in the same area as the original V-6 intake.

Troy's had to go thru higher because the Oil Tank for the Dry Sump oiling system kept us from being able to route it that low.

Both CIA's are 4" Diameter & both use a KN RC-3600 aircleaner.

I don't have any pics of Bob's aircleaner thru the vent but you can see it & it sets right at the back of the rocker vent.

Archie
fieroboom

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 81
Rate this member

Report this Post02-18-2009 10:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroboomClick Here to visit fieroboom's HomePageSend a Private Message to fieroboomEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Looking good!

[This message has been edited by fieroboom (edited 02-18-2009).]

FieroBobo

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-18-2009 10:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroBoboSend a Private Message to FieroBoboEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by pontiackid86:
haha you know there is a thin line between having fun and pure insanity.

You are so right about this. There is a thin line between having fun and pure insanity, and I'm teetering on the edge with this car.
The 480hp LS3 engine is almost too much power to be easy to drive on the street as a daily driver. The acceleration of the car is simply breathtaking. And at idle, the engine sounds a little like a caged beast, just snarling to be set free. I punched the accelerator hard in 3rd gear getting on the Route 80 somewhere in Ohio, or PA, and before I knew it I was doing 95mph. Simply awesome.

I think I'm going to like my "new" car. Thanks Archie, Rob, and Chris.
FieroBobo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-18-2009 10:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroBoboSend a Private Message to FieroBoboEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

FieroBobo

683 posts
Member since Mar 2007

Originally posted by HC:
That is one awesome car! What is the tire size on that? They look really good.

HC, Thanks for the compliment on the car, Archie and crew did a great job.
The tires are 225/50-16 up front, 245/50-16 on the rear.
The wheels, (front & back), are 16x7 BBS RG-F wheels with a +48mm offset, that I got from the Tire Rack.
I'm hoping to replace the rear tires with 275/40-17 and run 17x9", or 17x9.5" rear wheel that will match the fronts.

~Bob
FieroBobo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-18-2009 11:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroBoboSend a Private Message to FieroBoboEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

FieroBobo

683 posts
Member since Mar 2007
Well, I made it home in one piece, and I've caught up on my sleep. I'm not a kid any more, and I just can't run 24 hours straight with out paying a price.

Any how, the car is awesome. The acceleration is breathtaking. Best of all is that the car feels smooth, stable, and predictable at speed. The car is very comfortable and easy to drive at highway speeds.

The only draw back is the front spoiler. It is simply too low for the mean streets of Jersey. I'm planning to take it off tomorrow because it grounds pretty hard as I'm pulling into my driveway. I shudder to think what would happen on the speed bumps in the parking lot where I work. In retrospect I should have told Archie that I needed at least 6"- 7" of ground clearance. (My mistake, not his.) The worst of it is that I really don't want to take the spoiler off, the car look so good with it on. But if I don't it will be destroyed with in 2 weeks, (at the most).

Other than that, I just have to get used to the new clutch and the new engine, with all that power.
It's a tough job, but somebody has to do it.

~Bob
HC

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-18-2009 11:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for HCClick Here to visit HC's HomePageSend a Private Message to HCEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I took mine off (had one when i bought it). I think it looks better without it, but then again you have the matching rockers. Either you take the spoiler off or you get a whaletail!

Let me know if you want to get rid of your rims.
PFF
System Bot
FieroBobo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-19-2009 01:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroBoboSend a Private Message to FieroBoboEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by HC:
..sinp.. Let me know if you want to get rid of your rims. ..sinp..

Sorry, but my son wants the rims for his Fiero.
The rims are forged, they weigh only 12.6lb, and they cost $469 new @ the Tire Rack.

~Bob

madcurl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-19-2009 02:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hey, Fierobobo. Please take a Coke can picture (before and after) prior to removing the front spoiler and post the pics on the Coke can thread. I'd like to see how-high your car sits.

Thanks.

Curley.
madcurl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-19-2009 02:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

madcurl

21401 posts
Member since Jul 2003

Bob's CIA goes into the area in front of the wheel well liner by going thru the sheet metal in the same area as the original V-6 intake.

Troy's had to go thru higher because the Oil Tank for the Dry Sump oiling system kept us from being able to route it that low.

Both CIA's are 4" Diameter & both use a KN RC-3600 aircleaner.

I don't have any pics of Bob's aircleaner thru the vent but you can see it & it sets right at the back of the rocker vent.

Archie

Thanks Archie for the info. No need to reinvent the wheel- I'll use the same items that Fierobobo and Troy used.
FieroBobo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-19-2009 10:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroBoboSend a Private Message to FieroBoboEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Hey, Fierobobo. Please take a Coke can picture (before and after) prior to removing the front spoiler and post the pics on the Coke can thread. I'd like to see how-high your car sits.
Thanks. Curley.

Damn, Curley. You must be psychic.

One of the first things I did when I got home was take a few pictures of the car including the front spoiler, with the can of Coke, (as a visual aid). As it turned out the Coke can would not fit under the front spoiler.
I took the spoiler off today, Thursday, 2/10/09. I'll be heading down to our shore house for the weekend so no pictures for a few days but I will get the pictures for you.
~Bob
edited for spelling. -2pt.

[This message has been edited by FieroBobo (edited 02-21-2009).]

madcurl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-20-2009 03:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by FieroBobo:

Damn, Curley. You must be psychic.

One of the first things I did when I got home was take a few pictures of the car including the front spoiler, with the can of Coke, (as a visual aid). As it turned out the Coke can would not fit under the front spoiler.
I took the spoiler off today, Thursday, 2/10/09. I'll be heading down to our shore house for the weekend so now pictures for a few days but I will get the pictures for you.
~Bob

Hehe. Here's the linkie //www.fiero.nl/forum/F...1/HTML/071143-2.html

Oh yeah, any comments from your neighbors? Judging by the outside visuals- do they think the car is same-as before? I'm guessing the neighhbors can now here you coming from around the block, right?
Austrian Import

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-21-2009 03:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Austrian ImportSend a Private Message to Austrian ImportEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
*double post*

[This message has been edited by Austrian Import (edited 02-21-2009).]

Austrian Import

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-21-2009 03:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Austrian ImportSend a Private Message to Austrian ImportEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Austrian Import

3919 posts
Member since Feb 2007
How do you know how much wider you have to go with tires on an engine swap? Is it trial and error, or is there some formula that calculates increased weight over an axle, and requirements for increased tire (thread) with?

It's something that always puzzled me.

That engine looks beautiful in there. (We Californians are totally jealous (not SMOG legal here. ) )
ClayTonto

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-21-2009 10:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ClayTontoSend a Private Message to ClayTontoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Austrian Import:

How do you know how much wider you have to go with tires on an engine swap? Is it trial and error, or is there some formula that calculates increased weight over an axle, and requirements for increased tire (thread) with?

If you want to keep the same handling characteristics the formula is:
new weight over axle / old weight over axle = X
X x current tire width = new equalized tire width

For instance, your Fiero weighs 2650 lbs. with a 46/54 weight distribution. So weight on rear axle is 1431 lbs. If you do a V8 swap and add 75 lbs your new rear axle weight is 1506. 1506/1431=1.052 If you want to maintain the same handling characteristics, and your now running 215 mm wide tires on the rear then: 215x1.052=226 So your new tire width in the rear should be 225 mm.
Any other factors changed like heavier springs, stiffer shocks, adding a sway bar, stiffer sway bar, wider tires in the front, using taller tires, lowering the car, changing the weight in the front, camber/toe adjusments, tire pressure, and even a big brake conversion would change the formula dramatically.

As a general rule of thumb: wider is better, and if the car oversteers you'll want softer rear suspension with a larger tire contact patch (or vice versa stiffer front w/ reduced tire contact patch) And if the car understeers (rear tends to push front through a corner) then you'll want to do the opposite.

If you really want to understand handling characteristics of a car, here's a good start http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Car_handling it explains the understeer/oversteer correction process better.
Austrian Import

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-22-2009 04:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Austrian ImportSend a Private Message to Austrian ImportEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
ClayTonto, thanks for the formula.

This is a good start for me.
LT188GT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 100
Rate this member

Report this Post03-10-2009 12:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LT188GTSend a Private Message to LT188GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Any more updates?
PFF
System Bot
HC

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-13-2009 03:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for HCClick Here to visit HC's HomePageSend a Private Message to HCEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by LT188GT:

Any more updates?

x2!

------------------
Arizona Fiero Club2M4 build

Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post03-20-2009 09:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Nice neat installation of a very modern lightweight V8 engine. Loads of horsepower and good mileage to boot!

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, 3.4" Pulley, N* TB, LS1 MAF, Flotech Exhaust Autolite 104's Custom CAI 4T65eHD w. custom axles, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

Archie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-21-2009 03:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ArchieClick Here to visit Archie's HomePageSend a Private Message to ArchieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

exoticse

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-21-2009 07:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for exoticseSend a Private Message to exoticseEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Hmmm,.......do i smell widebody ??!!

Hehehehe thought i would at least get the rumor mill churning !
Falcon Fiero

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 67
Rate this member

Report this Post03-22-2009 03:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Falcon FieroSend a Private Message to Falcon FieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
COOL!!!! Glad I clicked on this tonight!

------------------

DL10

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 160
Rate this member

Report this Post03-23-2009 12:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DL10Click Here to visit DL10's HomePageSend a Private Message to DL10Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Hmmm,.......do i smell widebody ??!!

Hehehehe thought i would at least get the rumor mill churning !

I not sure....
I just gave Archie a blank check and told him to have at it.............

'
'
'
'
'
'
'
'

'
Now that's how you start a rumor.

I'm not really changing much, just fixing a few age and wear related problems. Also putting coil-overs on the back.

[This message has been edited by DL10 (edited 03-23-2009).]

Archie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-24-2009 02:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ArchieClick Here to visit Archie's HomePageSend a Private Message to ArchieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
New hood for GBCT.

Archie

[This message has been edited by Archie (edited 03-24-2009).]

exoticse

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-16-2009 11:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for exoticseSend a Private Message to exoticseEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Archie,

How is the GBCT coming along ?

We going to see you finish building your personal car/choptop this year ?
Archie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-17-2009 01:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ArchieClick Here to visit Archie's HomePageSend a Private Message to ArchieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Archie,

How is the GBCT coming along ?

We going to see you finish building your personal car/choptop this year ?

I'd like to finish my chop top this year & finish my GT40.

The restoration of the GBCT is going very well.

As you know the GBCT was chopped a bit differently than the chops after that. Rob Kris are pretty fussy in just about everything thay do, so we decided to upgrade the chop on the GBCT to current levels.

We also figured it would be better to start with a new rear clip & roof panel rather than to remodify the old parts so we're doing that too.

Here's some pics.

Archie
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 79 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20   21   22   23   24   25   26   27   28   29   30   31   32   33   34   35   36   37   38   39   40   41   42   43   44   45   46   47   48   49   50   51   52   53   54   55   56   57   58   59   60   61   62   63   64   65   66   67   68   69   70   71   72   73   74   75   76   77   78   79 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock