Pennock's Fiero Forum
  The Construction Zone
  What's Up at Archie's (Page 42)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 79 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20   21   22   23   24   25   26   27   28   29   30   31   32   33   34   35   36   37   38   39   40   41   42   43   44   45   46   47   48   49   50   51   52   53   54   55   56   57   58   59   60   61   62   63   64   65   66   67   68   69   70   71   72   73   74   75   76   77   78   79 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
What's Up at Archie's by Archie
Started on: 12-28-2002 01:35 PM
Replies: 3125 (350161 views)
Last post by: RACE on 03-12-2024 12:13 AM
Archie

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 546
Rate this member

Report this Post08-02-2006 07:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ArchieClick Here to visit Archie's HomePageSend a Private Message to ArchieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Woooppppp's forgot the best part.......

IP: Logged
RiceCooker

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-02-2006 10:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RiceCookerSend a Private Message to RiceCookerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Very aggressive looking be afraid....be very afraid
and we made it to page 42!

Thanks Archie!

p.s. am I missing a wheel cover?
bubbajoexxx

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 112
Rate this member

Report this Post08-02-2006 11:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for bubbajoexxxClick Here to visit bubbajoexxx's HomePageSend a Private Message to bubbajoexxxEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
NOT TO FLAME YOU you do great work Archie but where is the crankcase breather oil filler and why did you cheepen you great install with cheep galvanized fitting and not clean brass ones and a nice piece of braded hose

[This message has been edited by bubbajoexxx (edited 08-02-2006).]

Archie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-02-2006 01:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ArchieClick Here to visit Archie's HomePageSend a Private Message to ArchieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by bubbajoexxx:

NOT TO FLAME YOU you do great work Archie but where is the crankcase breather oil filler and why did you cheepen you great install with cheep galvanized fitting and not clean brass ones and a nice piece of braded hose

Actually the chrome breather was in the trunk when that pic was taken.

I don't like braided hose covers, they hold heat into the hose too much for me, & they hide the hose so you cannot tell if it's collapsing or soft underneath the braided cover.

And It's a cheap galvanized fitting.

Archie

RiceCooker; I've not been able to find a replacement lug nut for that one that was damaged taking it off when you were here, so I haven't put the cover back on yet.

Archie
JD86GT350

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-02-2006 03:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JD86GT350Send a Private Message to JD86GT350Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Gokart Mozart:

So Archie, when do you plan on getting your hands on a Sky?

bump
Archie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-02-2006 07:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ArchieClick Here to visit Archie's HomePageSend a Private Message to ArchieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Gokart Mozart:

So Archie, when do you plan on getting your hands on a Sky?

Well. one of 2 things is gonna happen.

#1) Someone is going to bring a Sky into the shop & say "Put a V-8 in that there car"

or

#2) I'm gonna hit the lottery.

Archie
N8YKC

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-02-2006 08:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for N8YKCSend a Private Message to N8YKCEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
How much does it cost to put a V8 LS2 into a SKY. PM me. Everyone needs to how much a dream costs
1986GTV8

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-03-2006 11:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 1986GTV8Send a Private Message to 1986GTV8Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Archie:

Do you sell the Solid mounts for the Getrag trans?

Would be nice if you do not do that yet.

GREAT Stuff.

John
Archie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-05-2006 11:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ArchieClick Here to visit Archie's HomePageSend a Private Message to ArchieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Archie
jmbishop

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 169
Rate this member

Report this Post08-06-2006 02:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jmbishopSend a Private Message to jmbishopEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
/\/\/\/\/\----------------If only it was chopped

Hey archie, do you think you could check your pm?
Red97

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-06-2006 09:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Red97Send a Private Message to Red97Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
why does everyone always have that weird pose in the delivery pic when they pick there car up from archie?
PFF
System Bot
exoticse

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 108
Rate this member

Report this Post08-06-2006 11:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for exoticseSend a Private Message to exoticseEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Red97:

why does everyone always have that weird pose in the delivery pic when they pick there car up from archie?

Just kind of a fun and quirky tradition started by madcurl when he picked up choptop #15.

They call it the curly pose.
Archie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-06-2006 11:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ArchieClick Here to visit Archie's HomePageSend a Private Message to ArchieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

It's called the Curley pose. It was 1st discovered & named by Dowdian when he picked up his Chop Top at my place in March of 05. At that time Curley only had 2 chop tops & Dowdian had noticed that everytime Curley had picked up a car at my place it was Winter & Curley looked pretty cold in the pictures we had taken. Well when I was taking pics of Dowdian with his car, he had me take some pics of him in the Curley Pose & it's become a tradition since then. You can read some of the posts on this topic on this page //www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/047387-3.html

Imagine all the funny poses you're going to see at the Chop Top Reunion.

Archie

BTW: did someone ask what's the next project we'll be talking about here?
Archie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-06-2006 11:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ArchieClick Here to visit Archie's HomePageSend a Private Message to ArchieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Archie

9436 posts
Member since Dec 1999

Originally posted by 1986GTV8:

Archie:

Do you sell the Solid mounts for the Getrag trans?

Would be nice if you do not do that yet.

GREAT Stuff.

John

Yeah, we have them.

Archie
Fie Ro

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 132
Rate this member

Report this Post08-06-2006 11:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Fie RoSend a Private Message to Fie RoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Its Archie's trick to fit customers in choptops
troyboy

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post08-06-2006 02:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for troyboySend a Private Message to troyboyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Fie Ro:

Its Archie's trick to fit customers in choptops

lol, I'll put on my helmet on my pickup day.
Archie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-07-2006 08:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ArchieClick Here to visit Archie's HomePageSend a Private Message to ArchieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Archie:

Archie

Update, about an hour ago RiceCooker was buying Gas someplace in Montana.

So if your in someplace Montana, watch for him.

Archie
Firefox

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 240
Rate this member

Report this Post08-07-2006 08:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FirefoxSend a Private Message to FirefoxEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hey, Arch.....what's the next project you are going to be talking about here???

Inquiring minds want to know...................
Archie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-07-2006 10:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ArchieClick Here to visit Archie's HomePageSend a Private Message to ArchieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Firefox:

Hey, Arch.....what's the next project you are going to be talking about here???

Inquiring minds want to know...................

Well, I thought you'd never ask.

About 5 years ago, We installed a ZZ4 crate engine for rgeeinc (Bob Rutz) out of CA.

Since then Bob has made about 4 trips back to the midwest & done several engine upgrades, including heads, Cam & Accel DFI system & a paint job. Bob always coordinates these trips around Fiero shows in the Mid-West.

This year Bob attended the Dells Run in June & dropped off his car at my place for a 6 speed transmission swap.

I thought that maybe some people would like me to document that swap here.

Archie

Songman

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 309
Rate this member

Report this Post08-07-2006 10:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SongmanClick Here to visit Songman's HomePageSend a Private Message to SongmanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That is going to be a huge improvement over the 4-speed that he did have in there. That thing bound up so much with all that horsepower in so few gears that it was almost impossible to drive. I look forward to seeing the outcome.

Archie, you should come out in one of your hotties and do the Coast Run with us in October. That way you can answer all of the questions about the 6-speed in person!

------------------

4th Annual California Coast Run
October 27-29, 2006
San Simeon, California

rgeeinc

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-07-2006 10:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rgeeincSend a Private Message to rgeeincEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

This year Bob attended the Dells Run in June & dropped off his car at my place for a 6 speed transmission swap.

Heck ya, I for one would love to see that swap documented here.
On with the show.
PFF
System Bot
Fiero2m8

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-08-2006 08:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero2m8Click Here to visit Fiero2m8's HomePageSend a Private Message to Fiero2m8Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Nice to see pics of Bob's car again - haven't seen it since I wore out my V8 Archie videotape.

Ryan

------------------

1986 Fiero2m8 (LT1 NX / 4T60 Roadster Build)
//www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/071642.html

Archie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-08-2006 08:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ArchieClick Here to visit Archie's HomePageSend a Private Message to ArchieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Fiero2m8:

Nice to see pics of Bob's car again - haven't seen it since I wore out my V8 Archie videotape.

Ryan

That's right, I forgot to mention that anyone who has a Video instruction tape from the last 4 years or so will be familliar with this car.

We are also videotaping the 6 speed instruction tape during this 6 speed swap. So Bob's car will be the subject car in 2 of my Video Instruction tapes.

Archie
Alex4mula

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 153
Rate this member

Report this Post08-08-2006 03:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Alex4mulaSend a Private Message to Alex4mulaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Archie

Ehhh.. I am the only one desperately waiting for that video?? I guess a picture is worth a 1000 words

Archie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-08-2006 08:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ArchieClick Here to visit Archie's HomePageSend a Private Message to ArchieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Alex4mula:

Ehhh.. I am the only one desperately waiting for that video?? I guess a picture is worth a 1000 words

You have a PM
troyboy

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post08-08-2006 09:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for troyboySend a Private Message to troyboyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Archie, check your Email.
RiceCooker

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-08-2006 10:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RiceCookerSend a Private Message to RiceCookerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well, I'm home!

The drive went great, had lots of fun and met some nice people along the way. The cooling system passed the ultimate test....and so did my body. Yesterday I drove from Moorehead Minnesota to Great Falls Montana....it was in the high 90's most of the day and even crept up over 100. I averaged about 80-85 mph during the middle of the day and the temp kept down aroun d 180-195 the whole way
Another warm day today and It's probably been 3 or 4 waters per hour going through my system (no a/c can be fun )

All in all it was a great trip back but I am bagged. Had to take a few people for test drives as soon as i got home too!

I will post tomorrow about my driving impressions.......It may be a lengthy post.....this car has most definately exceeded my expectations...It still is sinking in that I am driving a V8 Fiero in what feels like a brand new car!

Todd
Alex4mula

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 153
Rate this member

Report this Post08-08-2006 10:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Alex4mulaSend a Private Message to Alex4mulaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

You have a PM

Thanks for the update! Can't wait to have this baby shifting into 6th
Archie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-08-2006 11:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ArchieClick Here to visit Archie's HomePageSend a Private Message to ArchieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well, here's what's going on with Bob's car.

There are 2 things that made Bob's car the subject for the V-8 Video instruction tape & now the instruction tape for the 6 speed.

#1) The car just happened to be here when I was ready & in need of Instruction tapes.

#2) It has a tilt rear clip, so when it's removed you have good access to video tape.

Here we are removing the Rear Clip.

When you order a kit for the 6 speed conversion on ANY Fiero, the 1st thing I'm going to ask you to do is take a measurement for me.

We need the dimension from the Shock tower..... (place your tape measure just like it is in this pic)

Over to the bellhousing face of the transmission........ (in this pic we are measuring to the face of the adapter plate which the transmission is bolted to) You MUST use a straight edge like we did.

The dimension you get will tell me how long to have your axles made. Be very carefull to get an accurate measurement.

The engine in your Fiero doesn't have to move either left or right to install a 6 speed into it. I need this dimension, so that I know exactly where your new transmission is going to end up & I can have your axles sized appropriately.

Archie

Archie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-08-2006 11:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ArchieClick Here to visit Archie's HomePageSend a Private Message to ArchieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Archie

9436 posts
Member since Dec 1999
Once you have that measurement, you can Take the engine/trans/cradle assembly out of the car.

As with any other Fiero project, you have to be ready to fix little problems you find as you take it apart. Like this header crack that needs to be welded up.

Archie
madcurl

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 314
Rate this member

Report this Post08-13-2006 04:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
PFF
System Bot
Archie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-13-2006 05:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ArchieClick Here to visit Archie's HomePageSend a Private Message to ArchieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Alex4mula & rgeeinc, you both have PM's
Archie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-13-2006 06:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ArchieClick Here to visit Archie's HomePageSend a Private Message to ArchieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Archie

9436 posts
Member since Dec 1999
6 Speed swap update..........

Once we have the Egine & Transmission seperated from the cradle, we can set it off to the side. No need to dis-assemble it any farther.

We can remove the old clutch, but the adapter plate, flywheel, starter etc. all remain untouched.

The clutch & flywheel have been on this car for 5 years & untold miles & they are still in fantastic condition.

Our new clutch made for me by SPEC, is the 6 speed equivalant of the Stage III+ that we put in Tina's car last Spring.

Here it is bolted up to the original V-8 Flywheel that was on the car.....

Archie
Archie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-13-2006 07:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ArchieClick Here to visit Archie's HomePageSend a Private Message to ArchieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Archie

9436 posts
Member since Dec 1999
Here we see the engine & transmission bolted back together and set back down on the cradle.

We are doing a Video Instruction tape on this conversion & you'll see all the extreme details on that video.

The front of the engine/trans assembly bolts to the original V-8 Front Engine Mount. We haven't changed anything at that end of the engine & we don't want to change the position of the driveline. So that mount locates the front of the engine in the correct location. All we have to do is measure to ensure that the engine/trans assembly is square & level to the engine cradle & we can tack weld the transmission mounts in place.

Now it's time for a test fit. We get the cradle up in the car with the front 2 horizontal bolts in and piviot the rear of the cradle up into position. Here is a view thru the wheel well with the cradle about 2" from being all the way up in position.

The transmission is close to the frame rail as seen in this picture. Although the transmission is only about 1/4" longer than the Fiero Getrag, the end of the transmission is bigger in profile & sometimes needs a little more clearance.

Once we've marked the frame rail & removed the engine/trans/cradle assembly, we cut 2 verticle lines on the inside of the rail & remove about 1/2" from the underside of the rail. Then we will bend that in at the bottom & weld it in place.

Archie
KissMySSFiero

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 111
Rate this member

Report this Post08-13-2006 09:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KissMySSFieroSend a Private Message to KissMySSFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Now I don't mind beating my high milage getrag as much. I know there's always a NEW replacement.

------------------
SSFiero@Aol.com
Yellow Formula Signature

• 88 FORMULA-ZZ3 HSR
  • V8 buildup thread
  • My Shower Cam
  • At mile 20 I thought I was dead At mile 22 I wished I was dead At mile 24 I knew I was dead At mile 26.2 I realized I had become too tough to kill
Archie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-13-2006 10:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ArchieClick Here to visit Archie's HomePageSend a Private Message to ArchieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by KissMySSFiero:

Now I don't mind beating my high milage getrag as much. I know there's always a NEW replacement.

Hey, where you been? Haven't seen you much on here for some time.

Archie
KissMySSFiero

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 111
Rate this member

Report this Post08-14-2006 08:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KissMySSFieroSend a Private Message to KissMySSFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Hey, where you been? Haven't seen you much on here for some time.

Archie

Since I moved to a state surrounded by water, I bought a boat. I do still read the forums from time to time. And I'll try to make it to daytona with my car next Spring.
heck, I've thought about selling the Fiero and getting a solstice to do an LS swap. But custom fieros just aren't bringing enough cash to part with it these days.
Jake_Dragon

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 403
Rate this member

Report this Post08-14-2006 08:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jake_DragonSend a Private Message to Jake_DragonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by KissMySSFiero:
But custom fieros just aren't bringing enough cash to part with it these days.

Give you $200 for it right now
squisher86SE

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-15-2006 11:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for squisher86SESend a Private Message to squisher86SEEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Amazing work

Question for you Archie:

Sometime in the future (To be honest, it may never happen, but I'd like to) I would love to make mine a 'vert. I remember your thread on how you braced up the frame for the roadster, and I like that better than the X-brace that is typically used.

Would you be willing to at the minimum, perform the same frame bracing for me (for your going shop rate of course)?

I'm not very skilled at welding the thinner materials of the Fiero Unibody, as I currently only have an electric arc welder available to me (stick type).

I'm thinking of the BBspyder 'vert kit, http://b-bspyder.com/FieroConvertibles.html Suggestions and opinions are also welcome if there are other options. Experience with the X-brace would be good to hear about also, maybe I'm just being paranoid.
Formula88

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 554
Rate this member

Report this Post08-15-2006 12:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Avoid B&B Spyder like the plague.
Poor quality. Slow work. Poor workmanship. And good luck with any support after you leave.

See for yourself: //www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/040339-6.html
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 79 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20   21   22   23   24   25   26   27   28   29   30   31   32   33   34   35   36   37   38   39   40   41   42   43   44   45   46   47   48   49   50   51   52   53   54   55   56   57   58   59   60   61   62   63   64   65   66   67   68   69   70   71   72   73   74   75   76   77   78   79 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock