Pennock's Fiero Forum
  The Construction Zone
  What's Up at Archie's (Page 34)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 79 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20   21   22   23   24   25   26   27   28   29   30   31   32   33   34   35   36   37   38   39   40   41   42   43   44   45   46   47   48   49   50   51   52   53   54   55   56   57   58   59   60   61   62   63   64   65   66   67   68   69   70   71   72   73   74   75   76   77   78   79 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
What's Up at Archie's by Archie
Started on: 12-28-2002 01:35 PM
Replies: 3125 (350162 views)
Last post by: RACE on 03-12-2024 12:13 AM
Archie

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 546
Rate this member

Report this Post02-06-2006 11:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ArchieClick Here to visit Archie's HomePageSend a Private Message to ArchieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Saxman:

When will you post the prices for the SBC kits?

Ooooops forgot that part.

Provided that you already have a V-8 in your car, (I know you do) The complete package without installation is $4650.00. That includes:
New Transmission
New Intermediate shaft
Complete axle assemblies
Transmission mounts
Intermediate shaft bearing mounts
New Clutch
New clutch Friction Plate & mounting to mount it to your current F/W
6 speed shift cable mounting brackets
Clutch line fittings & adapter.
OdO. Driver

You will also need to provide a 5 speed shifter & a 4 speed shifter & a Getrag Select Cable that we can modify for your use in your car.

The kit W/O the transmission, intermediate shaft & axle assemblies (but including the axles shafts themselves) is $1910.00.

The prices for the 4.9 & 2.8 will be similar, the price for the LS1 will be $350.00 more.

I think that covers it.

Archie

IP: Logged
JacobHaley

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-07-2006 12:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JacobHaleySend a Private Message to JacobHaleyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If we alreay have a v8 and getrag 5 speed installed and want to convert to a new 6 speed, will we need to change the trans mounts on the k member? I have your trans solid mounts welded on right now, will they need to be redone?
Archie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-07-2006 01:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ArchieClick Here to visit Archie's HomePageSend a Private Message to ArchieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yes it will require new trans mounts but....... On your car the rear trans mount is welded on but if you cut off the part that sticks up, it won't interfere with the new trans mount. Your front trans mount it welded together but it's bolted to the cradle. It can be unbolted allowing the new one to be bolted on.

Please note that the F-40 transmission is not any longer that the Getrag but it has 3 shafts in it instead of the normal 2 shafts. So the Diameter or size of the tail of the transmission is bigger than the stock trans & requires a little frame notching.

When I get home I'll post a couple of pics og the Getrag & the F-40 trans so you can see what I mean.

Archie

Originally posted by JacobHaley:

If we alreay have a v8 and getrag 5 speed installed and want to convert to a new 6 speed, will we need to change the trans mounts on the k member? I have your trans solid mounts welded on right now, will they need to be redone?

Archie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-07-2006 09:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ArchieClick Here to visit Archie's HomePageSend a Private Message to ArchieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Archie

9436 posts
Member since Dec 1999

When I get home I'll post a couple of pics og the Getrag & the F-40 trans so you can see what I mean.

You can see where the 3 shafts are in the F40 trans & the Getrag.

This is what the Getrag looks like from the end ....

The F-40 trans looks like this.............

This is what it's all about........

Archie

avengador1

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 571
Rate this member

Report this Post02-07-2006 09:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for avengador1Send a Private Message to avengador1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I hate to say this, but that frame you have that craddle resting on looks like it is starting to bow from the weight on it. The legs could spread apart and drop the whole thing. You might want to reinforce it a bit.
Saxman

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 114
Rate this member

Report this Post02-07-2006 09:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SaxmanClick Here to visit Saxman's HomePageSend a Private Message to SaxmanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Archie:

Ooooops forgot that part.

Provided that you already have a V-8 in your car, (I know you do) The complete package without installation is $4650.00. That includes:
New Transmission
New Intermediate shaft
Complete axle assemblies
Transmission mounts
Intermediate shaft bearing mounts
New Clutch
New clutch Friction Plate & mounting to mount it to your current F/W
6 speed shift cable mounting brackets
Clutch line fittings & adapter.
OdO. Driver

You will also need to provide a 5 speed shifter & a 4 speed shifter & a Getrag Select Cable that we can modify for your use in your car.

The kit W/O the transmission, intermediate shaft & axle assemblies (but including the axles shafts themselves) is $1910.00.

The prices for the 4.9 & 2.8 will be similar, the price for the LS1 will be $350.00 more.

I think that covers it.

Archie

Hmmm. I wonder what I'll be asking for this Christmas? (...and Valentines day, and my birthday and anniversary...for the next 5 years...)

Thanks, Archie!! Great work!

Archie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-07-2006 09:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ArchieClick Here to visit Archie's HomePageSend a Private Message to ArchieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by avengador1:

I hate to say this, but that frame you have that craddle resting on looks like it is starting to bow from the weight on it. The legs could spread apart and drop the whole thing. You might want to reinforce it a bit.

Rest assured that is not our regular table that we set them on.

Archie

[This message has been edited by Archie (edited 02-07-2006).]

Archie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-07-2006 09:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ArchieClick Here to visit Archie's HomePageSend a Private Message to ArchieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Archie

9436 posts
Member since Dec 1999

Rest assured that is not our regular table that we set them on.

Archie

Yeah, the other 2 were crushed.

Fiero_Adam

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-07-2006 11:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero_AdamSend a Private Message to Fiero_AdamEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Are you talking to yourself, Archie?
Formula88

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 554
Rate this member

Report this Post02-07-2006 11:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
LS1 6-speed.
I'm afraid to ask how much it would cost turnkey. Say, in an 88 Formula?
Archie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-07-2006 11:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ArchieClick Here to visit Archie's HomePageSend a Private Message to ArchieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Formula88:

LS1 6-speed.

Actually, we will be starting just such a swap on an '88 GT in a couple of weeks. I'm doing a final quote on it tomorrow, I'll let you know.

Archie

PFF
System Bot
riley

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-08-2006 12:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rileySend a Private Message to rileyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by avengador1:

just so that you don't have to reinforce that frame. i have just the place to put that wild looking set up you have. just send it up to me and i'll keep it nice and safe for you.

Formula88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-08-2006 11:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Actually, we will be starting just such a swap on an '88 GT in a couple of weeks. I'm doing a final quote on it tomorrow, I'll let you know.

Archie

Cool. Oh, and

88White3.4GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-09-2006 03:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 88White3.4GTSend a Private Message to 88White3.4GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
so the finally price of the 6-speed LS1 ?? Archie?

------------------

DL10

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 160
Rate this member

Report this Post02-09-2006 05:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DL10Click Here to visit DL10's HomePageSend a Private Message to DL10Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Archie will you be in the shop tomorrow 2-10-06
Archie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-09-2006 07:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ArchieClick Here to visit Archie's HomePageSend a Private Message to ArchieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by DL10:

Archie will you be in the shop tomorrow 2-10-06

Yes I'll be there, are you coming up?

Archie

DL10

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 160
Rate this member

Report this Post02-09-2006 08:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DL10Click Here to visit DL10's HomePageSend a Private Message to DL10Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Yes I'll be there, are you coming up?

Archie

Yes.............I need to see some of the cars in the shop. .I will be up there in time to buy lunch.

[This message has been edited by DL10 (edited 02-09-2006).]

flames4me

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-09-2006 08:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for flames4meSend a Private Message to flames4meEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by ToonTownfiero:

Us Saskatoon Guys have to stick together.

kinna looks like the little eclipse that i built a wile ago before i found fieros...

This images is larger than 100K. Click to view.

and no, this is not photoshoped, i had it for almost a year like this before i sold it, made a pretty nice profit off some kid to. hehe

------------------
1986 Silver 5 speed Fiero 3.4 DOHC
Bored .30,Fully balanced and blueprinted
13.9@99mph as it is on the street

355/380hp sbc, 4 bolt main
spec stage 3, and many other extras, lol.
87 GT 5-speed Getrag, power everything.

Archie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-09-2006 09:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ArchieClick Here to visit Archie's HomePageSend a Private Message to ArchieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by DL10:
.I will be up there in time to buy lunch.

Cool, you'll be joining us for Steak & Lobster Friday as we call it.

Archie

Archie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-09-2006 09:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ArchieClick Here to visit Archie's HomePageSend a Private Message to ArchieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Archie

9436 posts
Member since Dec 1999

LS1 6-speed.

Including a NEW LS1 engine wire harness, ECM Etc. Also including the new six speed trans & all new hardware for it, new clutch, 4 core rad, exhaust, all the LS1 V-8 kit parts, Labor & testing the total would be at about 19500.00. Of that amount, $6400.00 goes for the engine, harness & ECM, MAP etc.

Archie

Formula88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-09-2006 10:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yup, I shouldn't have asked.
Not bad, all things considered. That's well over $10,000 just in new parts, not counting the LS1 install kit or any labor.

Rule #1. When reaching for the brass ring - bring a Platinum card.

PFF
System Bot
lou_dias

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 67
Rate this member

Report this Post02-10-2006 05:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for lou_diasSend a Private Message to lou_diasEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Not bad, all things considered. That's well over $10,000 just in new parts, not counting the LS1 install kit or any labor.

Good thing I have several...

Archie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-10-2006 05:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ArchieClick Here to visit Archie's HomePageSend a Private Message to ArchieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I know it seems like a lot, but I've resently seen V-6 swaps with a stock Fiero 5 speed & a used engine that were pushing $15K. So it's not all that bad.

As for the 6 speed swap, a used Getrag can easily run $700.00. If you have that Getrag rebuilt with new bearings & syncros, that can run $900 or more & you still have used gears, shafts & a used case.

If you compare apples to apples, the LS1 6 speed could be a good value.

Archie

madcurl

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 314
Rate this member

Report this Post02-10-2006 06:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Labor & testing the total would be at about 19500.00.
Archie

A good credit card can cure that, hehe.

troyboy

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post02-10-2006 06:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for troyboySend a Private Message to troyboyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
hey Archie, your giving me ideas for my next choptop. Will that set up work with a ls7, I'm on the waiting list now.
Formula88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-10-2006 06:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I know it seems like a lot, but I've resently seen V-6 swaps with a stock Fiero 5 speed & a used engine that were pushing $15K. So it's not all that bad.

As for the 6 speed swap, a used Getrag can easily run $700.00. If you have that Getrag rebuilt with new bearings & syncros, that can run $900 or more & you still have used gears, shafts & a used case.

If you compare apples to apples, the LS1 6 speed could be a good value.

Archie

Oh, I agree completely. It's expensive, but you're getting a LOT for your money. All new engine and transmission, etc. Most people use junker parts when price is the main concern. You can get a used LS1 for $1000-$4000 depending on condition and location, but if you're looking at close to $4000 for a used engine, why not go new when that comes with ECM already programmed for a stand alone setup, etc.?

Still, when you add it all up, the sticker shock gets you. But if people who do their budget swaps added up every little nickle and dime expense on their "cheap" swap, they'd usually be surprised how expensive it gets.

lou_dias

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-10-2006 06:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for lou_diasSend a Private Message to lou_diasEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm estimating a good $6000 for my performance 3.5 rebuild + swap...
PaulJK

Feedback score:    (25)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 237
Rate this member

Report this Post02-10-2006 11:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PaulJKSend a Private Message to PaulJKEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Nothing against your Solstice, Arch, but if I had to choose between a new Solstice for $20k-something and the $19500 turnkey new LS-1 with 6 speed drivetrain in my Fiero, I'd end up with a smile from ear-to-ear, money in my pocket and the fastest fiero in town

[This message has been edited by PaulJK (edited 02-10-2006).]

motoracer838

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 83
Rate this member

Report this Post02-15-2006 10:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for motoracer838Send a Private Message to motoracer838Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
up from page 5!!!
Archie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-15-2006 11:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ArchieClick Here to visit Archie's HomePageSend a Private Message to ArchieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by PaulJK:

Nothing against your Solstice, Arch, but if I had to choose between a new Solstice for $20k-something and the $19500 turnkey new LS-1 with 6 speed drivetrain in my Fiero, I'd end up with a smile from ear-to-ear, money in my pocket and the fastest fiero in town

I agree with you.

Archie

Archie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-20-2006 09:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ArchieClick Here to visit Archie's HomePageSend a Private Message to ArchieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Today, was kind of a watershed day.

We started taking apart the 1st 4.9 Fiero I've ever worked on.

It will be going back together as a 4.9 6 speed.

Archie

P.S. No, we do not plan to start installing 4.9's.

PFF
System Bot
Jake_Dragon

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 403
Rate this member

Report this Post02-20-2006 09:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jake_DragonSend a Private Message to Jake_DragonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Archie what parts are you bringing to Daytona this year? I may need a clutch and it would save me shipping if I do need one. If you need the money up front I will have to wait as I dont know if its the clutch or not. Have to buy another car first then I can pull the tranny out and see.
LZeitgeist

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 126
Rate this member

Report this Post02-20-2006 10:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LZeitgeistSend a Private Message to LZeitgeistEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Great to see Kris still working there... is Rob still around, too?

I still thank you guys every time I get into my Formula. Moreso when the top comes down.

------------------
Patrick W. Heinske -- LZeitgeist@aol.com
1988 Red Fiero Formula Convertible
*Desktop Photo Here*

ferrobi

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-20-2006 10:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ferrobiSend a Private Message to ferrobiEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Archie - I have to say your new shop sure looks good. I have to call you and talk about Carlisle. I want to go and bring my ride but I want to trailer it there. There lies the ? How to.

Rob

------------------

exoticse

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 108
Rate this member

Report this Post02-21-2006 12:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for exoticseSend a Private Message to exoticseEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Archie you should be recieving a used tail light package for me sometime this week.

Purchased it from another forum member who in turn was mailing it to you.

One of the lenses is cracked but i will be replacing them so they will do for now.

lou_dias

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-21-2006 12:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for lou_diasSend a Private Message to lou_diasEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hi Archie,

My wheels should at your shop. How do they look?
Still waiting on the Held suspension, brakes and bearings.
I assume my car will be the first 2.8 you've work on, lol!

When you do my car, can you also post a pic of the seats? I still haven't seen them installed. Thanks.

Lou

jscott1

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 415
Rate this member

Report this Post02-21-2006 01:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

That's nice to hear.

Archie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-21-2006 07:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ArchieClick Here to visit Archie's HomePageSend a Private Message to ArchieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by LZeitgeist:

Great to see Kris still working there... is Rob still around, too?

I still thank you guys every time I get into my Formula. Moreso when the top comes down.

Yes Rob & Kris are still getting it done.

Here you can see that they've been temporarily assigned to the 4.9 6 spped department.......

Archie

Archie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-21-2006 07:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ArchieClick Here to visit Archie's HomePageSend a Private Message to ArchieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Archie

9436 posts
Member since Dec 1999

Originally posted by lou_dias:

Hi Archie,

My wheels should at your shop. How do they look?
Still waiting on the Held suspension, brakes and bearings.
I assume my car will be the first 2.8 you've work on, lol!

When you do my car, can you also post a pic of the seats? I still haven't seen them installed. Thanks.

Lou

The last of the wheels came in today, they look good. We'll need lugnuts & 4 more of the lugnut covers

Some of the Held stuff came in today too. Man they look like an Erector set, looks like a lot of work to put all that stuff together. Still waiting for the spindles, rotors & some other stuff I guess. You or them should get me a parts list so I know when I have everything.

Archie

motoracer838

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 83
Rate this member

Report this Post02-21-2006 07:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for motoracer838Send a Private Message to motoracer838Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Archie

P.S. No, we do not plan to start installing 4.9's.

Hey Archie looks like you could use a set of these

J/K Joe
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 79 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20   21   22   23   24   25   26   27   28   29   30   31   32   33   34   35   36   37   38   39   40   41   42   43   44   45   46   47   48   49   50   51   52   53   54   55   56   57   58   59   60   61   62   63   64   65   66   67   68   69   70   71   72   73   74   75   76   77   78   79 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock