Pennock's Fiero Forum
  The Construction Zone
  What's Up at Archie's (Page 30)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 79 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20   21   22   23   24   25   26   27   28   29   30   31   32   33   34   35   36   37   38   39   40   41   42   43   44   45   46   47   48   49   50   51   52   53   54   55   56   57   58   59   60   61   62   63   64   65   66   67   68   69   70   71   72   73   74   75   76   77   78   79 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
What's Up at Archie's by Archie
Started on: 12-28-2002 01:35 PM
Replies: 3125 (350161 views)
Last post by: RACE on 03-12-2024 12:13 AM
Archie

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 546
Rate this member

Report this Post12-13-2005 11:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ArchieClick Here to visit Archie's HomePageSend a Private Message to ArchieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Reversing the intake is just a matter of turning it around.

Please note that in the following pictures the wiring is not finished. We have it all hooked up but still have to make it look pretty.

This customer wanted a laptop programable TPI system so we are learning how to program it.

As I said before, we used this setup on one car before but we used a S&P wire harness. It was pretty well plug & play except that we had to hand wire the ignition module. Otherwise all of the same TPI sensors work fine on this setup.

Here's some more pics.

Archie

[This message has been edited by Archie (edited 12-14-2005).]

IP: Logged
Archie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-14-2005 12:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ArchieClick Here to visit Archie's HomePageSend a Private Message to ArchieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Joe Carburetor:

Yea, neat!!.......will the throttle spacer be for sale as one of your products?

I plan to use a stock 96-99 Vortec distributor (if it fits).... it is also very low profile and cheaper and easier to get cap and rotor for a tune up.

I plan to use the stock TPI computer, externally mount the ignition module and use a crank trigger in place of the pickup coil

Yes the throttle spacer will be available.

I have one of the Vortec Distributors I picked up at a swap meet a few months ago. When I looked at it at the swap meet, I looked at it for this type of application & it looked too tall. If I can find it I'll see if it's too tall by measuring it.

Using the stock TPI computer, externally mount the ignition module and use a crank trigger in place of the pickup coil is exactly how we did it on the 1st car. We also used an aftermarket wire harness.

Originally posted by MinnGreenGT:

Thanks for the update Archie!

Does the crank trigger "plate" just bolt onto your existing pulley? Also, any estimate on what kind of cost to purchase (with core/exchange) a reversed intake (not including the crank trigger & distributor).

It bolts onto the pulley, but you do have to slot the front motor mount to install the magnetic pickup.

Archie

MinnGreenGT

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 274
Rate this member

Report this Post12-14-2005 10:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MinnGreenGTClick Here to visit MinnGreenGT's HomePageSend a Private Message to MinnGreenGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Wow - All this time I thought there was something more-difficult about rotating the intake! I'll have to check it out more closely when I start into my engine soon...

Originally posted by Archie:
Yes the throttle spacer will be available.

Excellent - any rough estimates as to cost & availability?

I have one of the Vortec Distributors I picked up at a swap meet a few months ago. When I looked at it at the swap meet, I looked at it for this type of application & it looked too tall. If I can find it I'll see if it's too tall by measuring it.

That would be nice to know as well!

Using the stock TPI computer, externally mount the ignition module and use a crank trigger in place of the pickup coil is exactly how we did it on the 1st car. We also used an aftermarket wire harness.

Good to know - any issues with throttle cable routing? Did you use the old cable somehow, or did you fab another?

It [the crank trigger] bolts onto the pulley, but you do have to slot the front motor mount to install the magnetic pickup.

Looks straightforward enough!
Joe Carburetor

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-14-2005 06:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Joe CarburetorSend a Private Message to Joe CarburetorEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Please note that in the following pictures the wiring is not finished. We have it all hooked up but still have to make it look pretty.

Well that already looks really neat. The engine "looks" more balanced in the engine bay now.....much better than having the throttle and filter crammed into the corner where the battery used to be.

I can see now that the distributor has to be VERY low

Archie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-17-2005 11:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ArchieClick Here to visit Archie's HomePageSend a Private Message to ArchieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Another chopper is ready to go.

Archie

EightBall

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-17-2005 11:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for EightBallSend a Private Message to EightBallEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Another chopper is ready to go.

Archie

It almost has an elcamino-ish look in the top picture

troyboy

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post12-17-2005 11:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for troyboySend a Private Message to troyboyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Nice work Archie, Is that #22 in the back ?
Archie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-17-2005 05:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ArchieClick Here to visit Archie's HomePageSend a Private Message to ArchieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by troyboy:

Nice work Archie, Is that #22 in the back ?

Yes that's #22 back there. In that pic Rob is about to administer the gas to knock it out for the surgery.

The Chrome injection system finally came in.

I'm going to start a new thread on this car this weekend.

See you Tuesday.

Archie

troyboy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-18-2005 08:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for troyboySend a Private Message to troyboyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Yes that's #22 back there. In that pic Rob is about to administer the gas to knock it out for the surgery.

The Chrome injection system finally came in.

I'm going to start a new thread on this car this weekend.

See you Tuesday.

Archie

That looks great Archie! I feel like a kid on Xmas morning.

jscott1

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 415
Rate this member

Report this Post12-18-2005 12:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

That looks great Archie! I feel like a kid on Xmas morning.

If I had that chromed intake I would be pretty happy too.

troyboy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-21-2005 05:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for troyboySend a Private Message to troyboyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Archie, made it back to New York. For the first time, NY in december felt warm. Thanks for the tour and have fun with #22.
PFF
System Bot
Archie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-22-2005 12:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ArchieClick Here to visit Archie's HomePageSend a Private Message to ArchieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Archie, made it back to New York. For the first time, NY in december felt warm. Thanks for the tour and have fun with #22.

It was great to meet you & talk shop. We'll be putting up a new build thread on the IMSA chop real soon.

Not only have we been counting chops most of them also get names, you may want to start thinking about names for this one.

Archie

jscott1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-22-2005 10:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Archie, made it back to New York...and have fun with #22.

Is this the first Chop top in NY? #14 was a NY car originally, (Lewiston). I hate that I lost the rear window defogger in the chop, (defogger is a NY requirement) I liked mine.

fierofetish

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 277
User Banned

Report this Post12-22-2005 02:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofetishSend a Private Message to fierofetishEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just a curiousity question..why is the door/roof like that? For a quick exit without ducking your head down? Just wondering...
Nick

Reversing the intake is just a matter of turning it around.

This customer wanted a laptop programable TPI system so we are learning how to program it.

As I said before, we used this setup on one car before but we used a S&P wire harness. It was pretty well plug & play except that we had to hand wire the ignition module. Otherwise all of the same TPI sensors work fine on this setup.

Here's some more pics.

Archie

troyboy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-22-2005 02:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for troyboySend a Private Message to troyboyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jscott1:

Is this the first Chop top in NY? #14 was a NY car originally, (Lewiston). I hate that I lost the rear window defogger in the chop, (defogger is a NY requirement) I liked mine.

I don't know if it will be the first chop in the NYC area, but I have not seen one in NY before. As for the rear defogger ( it helps to know a good gas station hint hint) I'm sure it will pass inspection. But if not I will have to use this:
http://www.frostfighter.com/ff_pdt_2600.htm
BTW nice fiero

jscott1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-22-2005 03:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The only problem with that defroster grid is that the smallest one is 13 inches high, and a chop top window is about 9 inches high.

Thanks for the compliment. I only wish I had more cars for Archie to chop.

[This message has been edited by jscott1 (edited 12-22-2005).]

Gokart Mozart

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 159
Rate this member

Report this Post12-22-2005 03:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gokart MozartClick Here to visit Gokart Mozart's HomePageSend a Private Message to Gokart MozartEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fierofetish:

Just a curiousity question..why is the door/roof like that? For a quick exit without ducking your head down? Just wondering...
Nick

The original GT40's had the gas tanks on the outside so with the low roof (40" tall) and the wide sills made normal opening doors impractical.

I only wish I had more cars for Archie to chop.

You could always have him chop mine if you wish...

Kohburn

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 188
Rate this member

Report this Post12-22-2005 03:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KohburnSend a Private Message to KohburnEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

The only problem with that defroster grid is that the smallest one is 13 inches high, and a chop top window is about 9 inches high.

Thanks for the compliment. I only wish I had more cars for Archie to chop.

don't see why you couldn't just cut a few lines off it

jscott1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-22-2005 08:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Kohburn:

don't see why you couldn't just cut a few lines off it

It wouldn't be that simple. The website doesn't recommend that because the grid is sized such that the resistance and heating of the wire is within certain parameters. If you cut off a few lines the remaining lines are going to carry more current and overheat. An enterprising person could determine the resistance of the cut lines and wire in some resistors in series, but it would be tricky.

Archie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-22-2005 10:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ArchieClick Here to visit Archie's HomePageSend a Private Message to ArchieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
What's new at Archie's?.............

I'm glad I got it but it's a lot slower than I thought it would be & a Fiero is a lot more comfortable.

I think this body will fit on a Fiero chassis.

"Get back to Work!!!!!!"

"ok"

Archie

[This message has been edited by Archie (edited 12-22-2005).]

MinnGreenGT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 274
Rate this member

Report this Post12-23-2005 12:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MinnGreenGTClick Here to visit MinnGreenGT's HomePageSend a Private Message to MinnGreenGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Cool
PFF
System Bot
jscott1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-23-2005 01:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

...Archie

That front end is starting to grow on me. I hate to think of Soltices in the yard already, but I wouldn't mind trying to work those parts into the front of a Fiero. Anyone know how to find the part number of the lights, grill, etc?

Formula88

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 554
Rate this member

Report this Post12-23-2005 02:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I don't know about the headlights, but the fog light/turn signals are the same as the new Grand Prix.
Archie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-23-2005 08:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ArchieClick Here to visit Archie's HomePageSend a Private Message to ArchieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well I've got about 75 miles on the Solstice, yeah, it's a Winter car.

It's a good looking car & handles well but 2 things are bothering me already.

#1 Interior, I like the look of it but the plastic interior panels (especially the door panels) are cheap. They are even cheaper plastic than the Fiero had.

#2 Engine.......... how can I say it....... This car is a pooch. On the Solstice forum a lot of people brag about how fast it is but I wonder just what they've been driving. I think a stock Fiero 2.8 V-6 in good running condition could beat it.

Have a Happy Holiday.

Archie

Formula88

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 554
Rate this member

Report this Post12-23-2005 09:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It'd be interesting to see how a Solstice stacks up against a stock 2.8 Fiero.
Even if it's faster, the Solstice may feel slower most of the time since that little Ecotec has to be wound like an 8 day clock to make any power. At least the 2.8 has some low to mid-range power (what little there is).
GTFiero1

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 109
Rate this member

Report this Post12-23-2005 10:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GTFiero1Send a Private Message to GTFiero1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

#2 Engine.......... how can I say it....... This car is a pooch. On the Solstice forum a lot of people brag about how fast it is but I wonder just what they've been driving. I think a stock Fiero 2.8 V-6 in good running condition could beat it.

Archie

so when should we expect the first LS1 swap kit?

Actually an LS1 swap kit would probably be a good seller because it's covering a current car and one more accepted than the enthusiast only fiero

------------------

+ an 88 Caprice 9C1 Police Package
--Adam--
IM AOL: FieroGT5speed

FieroWannaBe

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-23-2005 10:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroWannaBeSend a Private Message to FieroWannaBeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by GTFiero1:

so when should we expect the first LS1 swap kit?

Actually an LS1 swap kit would probably be a good seller because it's covering a current car and one more accepted than the enthusiast only fiero

But there is onle 20,000 solstices being made this year, and next year, there has been a trubo protype spotted to, so it might not really catch on, only time will, tell. maybe the solctice flops as well.

Archie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-24-2005 12:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ArchieClick Here to visit Archie's HomePageSend a Private Message to ArchieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by FieroWannaBe:

But there is onle 20,000 solstices being made this year, and next year, there has been a trubo protype spotted to, so it might not really catch on, only time will, tell. maybe the solctice flops as well.

I'm sure that next year or at the latest the year after, Pontiac will add some more horses, just like they did with the Fiero.

However, there are many of us that just have to have the torque. Typically the turbo or SCharged 4's make their numbers at high RPM's & that's fine if you drive at 160 mph all the time. But us Hot Rodders want to from 0 to 100 as fast as possible & that takes a V-8.

I'll have the Solstice with the LS1 in time to take to the Spring Fling in Daytona in March.

True, just like when the Fiero was new, there will be people who want to do a V-8 swap to a new Sol & I'll be there, but I'm thinking longer term. I like to have stuff so that the blue collar average Joe can afford to have a hot car. I've never been able to just write a check for the latest muscle car, I've always had to build my own. In a few years the Solstices will be hitting the used car lots & that's where Hot Rodders get their cars & I'll be there.

Archie

Jim88GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-24-2005 07:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Jim88GTSend a Private Message to Jim88GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
"I'll have the Solstice with the LS1 in time to take to the Spring Fling in Daytona in March"

I'm 1st in line for a test drive!!!

Jim

ltlfrari

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 127
Rate this member

Report this Post12-24-2005 09:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ltlfrariClick Here to visit ltlfrari's HomePageSend a Private Message to ltlfrariEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I'm sure that next year or at the latest the year after, Pontiac will add some more horses, just like they did with the Fiero.

So we can expect that around 2010 they will be cancelling it then huh ????
It's a nice looking car and I'm sure my wife would like one but gimme the Fiero any day.

Archie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-24-2005 10:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ArchieClick Here to visit Archie's HomePageSend a Private Message to ArchieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Jim88GT:

I'm 1st in line for a test drive!!!

Jim

Ok, but no Drifting in the parking lot.

Archie

PFF
System Bot
MotorTV

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-24-2005 01:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MotorTVClick Here to visit MotorTV's HomePageSend a Private Message to MotorTVEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Ok, but no Drifting in the parking lot.

Archie

What about another famous 200 foot burnout... ;-) (just because someone said i couldn't do it.)
Chuck

Joe Carburetor

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-24-2005 08:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Joe CarburetorSend a Private Message to Joe CarburetorEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Got any update pics on the tpi reversed plenum project
exoticse

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 108
Rate this member

Report this Post12-24-2005 11:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for exoticseSend a Private Message to exoticseEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Archie check your email. Thanks

Tony

Jefrysuko

Feedback score:    (17)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 108
Rate this member

Report this Post12-26-2005 01:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JefrysukoSend a Private Message to JefrysukoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by MotorTV:
(just because someone said i couldn't do it.)
Chuck

I don't think you can do a 200' Burnout in Archies LS1 Solstice!

------------------

Archie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-26-2005 08:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ArchieClick Here to visit Archie's HomePageSend a Private Message to ArchieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Joe Carburetor:

Got any update pics on the tpi reversed plenum project

Yeah, we have it all done and the body put back on etc. In fact we took it to Volo today & had it appraised.

I'll post some final pics of it tomorow ('cuz I forgot to bring them home with me tonite).

Archie

When's the last time you saw a Fiero appraise at $55K?

fieroparts.com

Feedback score:    (57)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 185
Rate this member

Report this Post12-26-2005 09:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroparts.comClick Here to visit fieroparts.com's HomePageSend a Private Message to fieroparts.comEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Volo Auto Museum got to keep the Volo name? Volvo went after them not too long ago for that, I never did hear the outcome.
Firefox

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 240
Rate this member

Report this Post12-26-2005 09:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FirefoxSend a Private Message to FirefoxEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Beautiful.....
Archie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-26-2005 11:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ArchieClick Here to visit Archie's HomePageSend a Private Message to ArchieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fieroparts.com:

Volo Auto Museum got to keep the Volo name? Volvo went after them not too long ago for that, I never did hear the outcome.

They ain't got no stinkin' Volvos there.

Archie

Oreif

Feedback score:    (19)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 442
Rate this member

Report this Post12-27-2005 09:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for OreifClick Here to visit Oreif's HomePageSend a Private Message to OreifEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Yeah, we have it all done and the body put back on etc. In fact we took it to Volo today & had it appraised.

When's the last time you saw a Fiero appraise at $55K?

Wonder what mine would appraise out to at Volo?

What do they charge for an appraisal?

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 79 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20   21   22   23   24   25   26   27   28   29   30   31   32   33   34   35   36   37   38   39   40   41   42   43   44   45   46   47   48   49   50   51   52   53   54   55   56   57   58   59   60   61   62   63   64   65   66   67   68   69   70   71   72   73   74   75   76   77   78   79 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock