Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Totally O/T - Archive
  Quotes. (Page 5)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 30 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20   21   22   23   24   25   26   27   28   29   30 
Previous Page | Next Page
Quotes. by 84Bill
Started on: 10-13-2004 03:34 AM
Replies: 1165
Last post by: Boondawg on 04-24-2011 01:01 AM
gusshotrod

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-28-2005 07:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for gusshotrodSend a Private Message to gusshotrodDirect Link to This Post
I saw 84bill's life flash before my eyes and now I am confused.
IP: Logged
SC Coupe

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-28-2005 04:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SC CoupeSend a Private Message to SC CoupeDirect Link to This Post
"Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired, signifies in the final sense a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and are not clothed."
- General Dwight D. Eisenhower
webbee

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-09-2005 09:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for webbeeSend a Private Message to webbeeDirect Link to This Post
Shoutings From The Grave...
Embedded Americans Speak Out
Compiled by Douglas Herman
3-9-5

My country is the world, and my religion is to do good. Our defense is in the spirit which prizes liberty as a heritage of all men, in all lands, everywhere. Destroy this spirit and you have planted the seeds of despotism around your own doors. When men yield up the privilege of thinking, the last shadow of liberty quits the horizon. To sin by silence when they should protest makes cowards of men. Indeed, I tremble for my country when I reflect that God is just, that his justice cannot sleep forever.

If an American is concerned only about his nation, he will not be concerned about the peoples of Asia, Africa or South America. Is this not why nations engage in the madness of war without the slightest sense of penitence? Is this not why the murder of citizens of another nation in war is an act of heroic virtue? Youíre not supposed to be so blind with patriotism that you canít face reality. Wrong is wrong no matter who does it or who says it. I hope our wisdom will grow with our power, and teach us, that the less we use our power the greater it will be.

Peace and friendship with all mankind is our wisest policy, and I wish we may be permitted to pursue it. An inglorious peace is better than a dishonorable war. War is an instrument entirely inefficient toward redressing wrongs and multiplies, instead of indemnifying losses. What is human warfare but just this: an effort to make the laws of God and Nature take sides with one party. There never was a good war or a bad peace. It is soldiers who pay most of the human cost.

Tis our true policy to steer clear of permanent alliance with any portion of the foreign world. In the councils of government we must guard against the acquisition of unwarranted influence, whether sought or unsought, by the military industrial complex. The potential for the disastrous rise of misplaced power exists and will persist. Overgrown military establishments are, under any form of government, inauspicious to liberty, and are to be regarded as particularly hostile to republican liberty.

Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. While we are guarding the country, we must accept being the guardian of the finest ethics. The country needs it and we must do it. Statesmen will invent cheap lies, putting blame upon the nation that is attacked. But wherever a man goes, men will pursue him and paw him with their dirty institutions and, if they can, constrain him to belong to their desperate odd-fellow society. To be a patriot, one had to keep on saying ìour country, right or wrongî, and urge on the little war. Have you not perceived that that phrase is an insult to the nation?

Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired, signifies in the final sense a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and are not clothed. I hate war as only a soldier who has lived it can, only as one who has seen its brutality, its futility, its stupidity. The people of the world want peace. Some day the leaders of the world are going to have to give in and give it to them.

The above quotations were provided by the following embedded Americans: Tom Paine, Abraham Lincoln, Thomas Jefferson, Martin Luther King, Malcolm X, Mark Twain, Henry David Thoreau, Ben Franklin, Generals Creighton Abrams, George Washington, and Dwight D. Eisenhower

Douglas Herman is an amateur historian and USAF veteran. You may reach him at douglasherman7@yahoo.com for questions about any quote.

SC Coupe

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-15-2005 12:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SC CoupeSend a Private Message to SC CoupeDirect Link to This Post
Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. -Mark Twain
webbee

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-22-2005 01:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for webbeeSend a Private Message to webbeeDirect Link to This Post
"The care of human life and happiness, and not their destruction, is the first and only legitimate object of good government."

--Thomas Jefferson

stevenrossi

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 126
Rate this member

Report this Post03-22-2005 04:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for stevenrossiSend a Private Message to stevenrossiDirect Link to This Post
...my personal favorite - "pokaroo" - Mr. Pokaroo 1976-2003
slapjack

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-22-2005 11:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for slapjackSend a Private Message to slapjackDirect Link to This Post
"you can shut up and everyone might think you are stupid of you can open your mouth and confirm their suspicions"

Sam Clemmins (Mark Twain)

Edit: LT188GT beat me to this one - thought I read 'em all before I posted

[This message has been edited by slapjack (edited 03-22-2005).]

fogglethorpe

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 158
Rate this member

Report this Post03-23-2005 08:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fogglethorpeSend a Private Message to fogglethorpeDirect Link to This Post
"Don't do something, just stand there!" -from a warehouse wall, Philadelphia, PA
webbee

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-23-2005 08:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for webbeeSend a Private Message to webbeeDirect Link to This Post
"There are no such things as dangerous weapons. There are only dangerous men."
--Robert Heinlein, Methuselah's Children
cccharlie

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 65
Rate this member

Report this Post03-23-2005 10:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cccharlieSend a Private Message to cccharlieDirect Link to This Post
"....He not busy being born is busy dying"

Bob Dylan
Its Alright Ma (I'm only bleeding)

------------------
88 4cyl auto Fiero, AC, sunroof, tilt steering, rear swaybar
"And isn't sanity really just a one-trick pony anyway? I mean all you get is one trick, rational thinking, but when you're good and crazy, oooh, oooh, oooh, the sky is the limit!" - The Tick

fogglethorpe

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-24-2005 08:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fogglethorpeSend a Private Message to fogglethorpeDirect Link to This Post
"I know just enough to know I don't know." -fogglethorpe, 2005
PFF
System Bot
Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post03-24-2005 10:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarDirect Link to This Post
"The hurrieder you go, the behinder you get." -anon
SC Coupe

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-25-2005 09:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SC CoupeSend a Private Message to SC CoupeDirect Link to This Post
"This Republican Party of Lincoln has become a party of theocracy." U.S. Representative Christopher Shays, R-CT
fogglethorpe

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-25-2005 09:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fogglethorpeSend a Private Message to fogglethorpeDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Raydar:

"The hurrieder you go, the behinder you get." -anon

"The smoker you drink, the player you get." -Joe Walsh

Tugboat

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-25-2005 01:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TugboatSend a Private Message to TugboatDirect Link to This Post
"Sometimes, if you stand on the bottom rail of a bridge and lean over to watch the river slipping away beneath you, you suddenly know everything there is to be known." - Winnie the Pooh

"He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him, the spinal cord would fully suffice." - Albert Einstein

"it would be easier to pay off our national debt overnight than to neutralize the long-range effects of our national stupidity." - Frank Zappa

"We are not going to be able to operate our spaceship Earth much longer unless we see it as a whole spaceship and our fate as common. It has to be everybody or nobody." - R. Buckminster Fuller

"Never try to impress a woman because if you do, you'll have to keep up that standard the rest of your life."

"I am free of all prejudices. I hate everyone equally."

"Start the day off with a smile, and get it over with."

"I always keep a supply of liquor handy in case I see a snake - which I also keep handy."

"If at first you don't succeed, try again. Then quit. No sense being a damn fool about it."

- All from W. C. Fields

"About as reliable as a group of clowns crowded into a single toilet stall." - A poster on another forum

GL

webbee

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-25-2005 04:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for webbeeSend a Private Message to webbeeDirect Link to This Post
"Within this vale
Of toil and sin
Your head grows bald
But not your chin
Use
~Burma Shave"
NEPTUNE

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 288
Rate this member

Report this Post03-25-2005 08:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NEPTUNESend a Private Message to NEPTUNEDirect Link to This Post
"From now this moment on, let those who feel that Americans can be as easily led to beauty as to ugliness, to truth as to public relations [spin], to joy as to bitterness, be said to be suffering from Hunter Thompson's disease."

-Kurt Vonnegut Jr.

I hope they never find a cure.
-N.

SC Coupe

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-25-2005 10:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SC CoupeSend a Private Message to SC CoupeDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Tugboat:

"We are not going to be able to operate our spaceship Earth much longer unless we see it as a whole spaceship and our fate as common. It has to be everybody or nobody." - R. Buckminster Fuller

GL

Ahhh, Bucky... Still ahead of his (our) time....

[This message has been edited by SC Coupe (edited 03-25-2005).]

SC Coupe

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-25-2005 11:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SC CoupeSend a Private Message to SC CoupeDirect Link to This Post

SC Coupe

987 posts
Member since Apr 2002
Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans. - John Lennon
Korupt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-26-2005 01:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for KoruptSend a Private Message to KoruptDirect Link to This Post
Si vis pacem, para bellum-- if you want peace, prepare for war donno who said it but its very true
gusshotrod

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-26-2005 01:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for gusshotrodSend a Private Message to gusshotrodDirect Link to This Post
"Search the parks in all the cities,
you'll find no statues to committees" : no idea.

"If you want to make an enemy, try to change something": Calvin Coolidge.

PFF
System Bot
webbee

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-27-2005 04:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for webbeeSend a Private Message to webbeeDirect Link to This Post
"When the government fears the people, there is liberty; when the people fear the government, there is tyranny."
--Benjamin Franklin
webbee

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-27-2005 08:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for webbeeSend a Private Message to webbeeDirect Link to This Post

webbee

1149 posts
Member since Jun 2000
"The government consists of a gang of men exactly like you and me. They have, taking one with another, no special talent for the business of government; they have only a talent for getting and holding office. Their principal device to that end is to search out groups who pant and pine for something they can't get and to promise to give it to them. Nine times out of ten, that promise is worth nothing. The tenth time is made good by looting A to satisfy B. In other words, government is a broker in pillage, and every election is sort of an advance auction sale of stolen goods."
-- H. L. Mencken
webbee

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-28-2005 11:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for webbeeSend a Private Message to webbeeDirect Link to This Post
There is one quality that one must possess to win, and that is definiteness of purpose, the knowledge of what one wants, and a burning desire to possess it."
- - Napoleon Hill
SC Coupe

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-05-2005 04:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SC CoupeSend a Private Message to SC CoupeDirect Link to This Post
"Religious factions will go on imposing their will on others unless the decent people connected to them recognize that religion has no place in public policy. They must learn to make their views known without trying to make their views the only alternative."
Barry Goldwater
Conservative Politician, Former Arizona Senator and Governor
Speech, 1981
TennT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-06-2005 09:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TennTSend a Private Message to TennTDirect Link to This Post
"Don't hold a cat and use a Dust Buster at the same time"
From "All I needed to know, I learned in Kindergarden", and
recently re-enacted by my wife and me.

A little levity.

"Interesting - I use a Mac to help me design the next Cray."
- Seymoure Cray (1925-1996) when he was told that Apple Inc. had recently bought a Cray supercomputer to help them design the next Mac.

For the DP/IT/Comp Sci. folks

[This message has been edited by TennT (edited 04-06-2005).]

84Bill

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 461
User Banned

Report this Post04-09-2005 01:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 84BillClick Here to visit 84Bill's HomePageSend a Private Message to 84BillDirect Link to This Post
"The freedom of other people to live their lives according to conscience is exponentially more important than my personal convictions." - fogglethorpe
webbee

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-09-2005 11:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for webbeeSend a Private Message to webbeeDirect Link to This Post
Crime does not pay ... as well as politics.

What? Me Worry?

-- Alfred E. Neuman

Chump

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-10-2005 01:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ChumpClick Here to visit Chump's HomePageSend a Private Message to ChumpDirect Link to This Post
"I never met a man I didn't like"
--Roy Rodgers
Chump

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-10-2005 01:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ChumpClick Here to visit Chump's HomePageSend a Private Message to ChumpDirect Link to This Post

Chump

1076 posts
Member since Apr 2005
"Don't pet the sweaty stuff"

or was it

"Don't sweat the petty stuff"

NEPTUNE

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 288
Rate this member

Report this Post04-10-2005 09:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for NEPTUNESend a Private Message to NEPTUNEDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Chump:

"I never met a man I didn't like"
--Roy Rodgers

I believe that was WILL Rogers.

PFF
System Bot
Chump

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-12-2005 01:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ChumpClick Here to visit Chump's HomePageSend a Private Message to ChumpDirect Link to This Post
"In the 60's, people took acid to make the world wierd. Now the world is wierd and people take Prozac to make it normal"
-Andy Rooney
Taijiguy

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 244
Rate this member

Report this Post04-12-2005 03:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TaijiguySend a Private Message to TaijiguyDirect Link to This Post
"Wales isn't a hard man to follow, he leaves a trail of dead men wherever he goes"

From "The Outlaw Jose Wales"

SC Coupe

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-12-2005 11:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SC CoupeSend a Private Message to SC CoupeDirect Link to This Post
"We have met the enemy, and he is us" - Walt Kelly

CFOGi Region 3 Director
'88 Coupe / '86 GT

[This message has been edited by SC Coupe (edited 04-12-2005).]

Slater_334

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-13-2005 01:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Slater_334Send a Private Message to Slater_334Direct Link to This Post
It isn`t premarital sex if you have no intention of getting married. -- Drew Carey
lurker

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 236
Rate this member

Report this Post04-13-2005 02:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for lurkerSend a Private Message to lurkerDirect Link to This Post
"useless, useless." - J.W. Booth
SC Coupe

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-17-2005 01:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SC CoupeSend a Private Message to SC CoupeDirect Link to This Post
"The Bush administration should set up an independent commission to investigate American detainee policy across the board. The president must take the offensive on this, or else the country's image will continue to suffer."

Bill O'Reilly (really!), June 7, 2005

[This message has been edited by SC Coupe (edited 06-17-2005).]

intlcutlass

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-17-2005 02:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for intlcutlassSend a Private Message to intlcutlassDirect Link to This Post
"What good fortune for governments that the people do not think."
Adolf Hitler
intlcutlass

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-17-2005 02:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for intlcutlassSend a Private Message to intlcutlassDirect Link to This Post

intlcutlass

1431 posts
Member since Nov 2002
We are just an advanced breed of monkeys on a minor planet of a very average star. But we can understand the Universe. That makes us something very special.
Stephen Hawking
Formula88

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 554
Rate this member

Report this Post06-18-2005 12:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Direct Link to This Post
"The problem with the world is that everybody else is a few drinks behind."
-Humphrey Bogart
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 30 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20   21   22   23   24   25   26   27   28   29   30 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock