Pennock's Fiero Forum
  The Construction Zone
  OPIE's Fiero GTX Build (Page 8)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 33 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20   21   22   23   24   25   26   27   28   29   30   31   32   33 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
OPIE's Fiero GTX Build by TXOPIE
Started on: 01-21-2013 10:48 PM
Replies: 1282 (74026 views)
Last post by: predmeister on 12-14-2021 02:05 PM
TXOPIE

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-14-2013 10:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TXOPIEClick Here to visit TXOPIE's HomePageSend a Private Message to TXOPIEEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
UPDATE: EVM_Rob started working on the door skins today:

And we are playing with the idea of incorporating a lower shelf area (need a place for my 20 oz plastic bottle to go) :

[This message has been edited by TXOPIE (edited 05-17-2013).]

IP: Logged
TXOPIE

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-17-2013 04:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TXOPIEClick Here to visit TXOPIE's HomePageSend a Private Message to TXOPIEEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
UPDATE: Couldn't leave well enough alone...its in my nature!

So I did one last try at the Dupli-color blue anodized paint and WOW! SUCCESS! ...the camera built into my phone doesn't even serve it justice:
This images is larger than 153600 bytes. Click to view.

[This message has been edited by TXOPIE (edited 05-17-2013).]

TXOPIE

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-20-2013 12:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TXOPIEClick Here to visit TXOPIE's HomePageSend a Private Message to TXOPIEEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
UPDATE: It has been decided that once Stephen has helped me finish up with the mechanical upgrades.

I am going to trailer the car to TN to EVM_Rob where he will mount my MERA body and prep it for final wet sand and paint.

I will return about 3 weeks from drop off to trailer her back to DFW to get her Candi blue chrome paint job!

Once its back and all the paint is completed, I will install the complete new interior.

Between now and then I have a few things to knock out...all focus needs to be ensuring

* all mechanical upgrades are completed (power steering, 12" rotors & 88 Calipers, new poly bushings all around, oh yeah and put the engine back toghether...lol
* New 17" rims, tires, & appropriated spacers
* New power sunroof is installed
* Side cameras are installed
KOS

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-20-2013 09:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for KOSClick Here to visit KOS's HomePageSend a Private Message to KOSEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
what did you do with the side camera bit? can you explain a little more and maybe post a couple of pics?

------------------
Dan
Build Thread

TXOPIE

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-21-2013 12:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TXOPIEClick Here to visit TXOPIE's HomePageSend a Private Message to TXOPIEEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by KOS:

what did you do with the side camera bit? can you explain a little more and maybe post a couple of pics?

Dan,

***Should Add that this upfront in the state of TX, you legally only have to have one mirror period and the rear view mirror covers that! ...so check for what is legal in your state.

Sure glad to share! I will be utilizing the following hardware:

which will be side flush-mounted on the plastic triangle area behind where the mirror would traditionally be located. The am having the plastic triangles reproduced in metal to add strength.

On the inverse side (inside the car) I will have these mounted to the inside post with a thinner 4" flex goose neck style mount with same ball insert to replace the stock mount:

Also UPDATE: I have been doing a little tweaking to bring everything together:

[This message has been edited by TXOPIE (edited 05-21-2013).]

TXOPIE

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-22-2013 09:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TXOPIEClick Here to visit TXOPIE's HomePageSend a Private Message to TXOPIEEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
UPDATE: Still working on a little dress up:

Also ordered a few more of my needed parts still on the list:

TXOPIE

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-22-2013 11:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TXOPIEClick Here to visit TXOPIE's HomePageSend a Private Message to TXOPIEEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

TXOPIE

2734 posts
Member since Mar 2012
UPDATE: Forgot to check on and post the other piece I also finished up...the old chrome dog-bone with red bushings is now blue with black bushings:

TXOPIE

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-22-2013 04:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TXOPIEClick Here to visit TXOPIE's HomePageSend a Private Message to TXOPIEEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

TXOPIE

2734 posts
Member since Mar 2012
UPDATE: USPS showed up and delivered my monitors...thought I would show a comparison shot of the mirror's size versus the monitor's size:
TXOPIE

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-23-2013 02:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TXOPIEClick Here to visit TXOPIE's HomePageSend a Private Message to TXOPIEEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
UPDATE: FEDEX man showed up and brought a 2nd option on my steering wheel:

I find it funny that Troyboy poasted today that he too just order the same wheel for Lisa's Enterra "Dark Shadow" Restore project.

Originally posted by troyboy:

We ordered the steering wheel today, Lisa likes the momo wheel,

we will just have the center recovered in white

I think out of all the steering wheels I have looked at including my C6 corvette converted steering wheel, that this Momo looks the best with Amida's G1 dash.

[This message has been edited by TXOPIE (edited 05-23-2013).]

troyboy

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post05-23-2013 03:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for troyboySend a Private Message to troyboyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Go with the momo , I've had it in my choptop for years and love it

[This message has been edited by troyboy (edited 05-23-2013).]

TXOPIE

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-23-2013 03:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TXOPIEClick Here to visit TXOPIE's HomePageSend a Private Message to TXOPIEEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thinking something like this maybe:
PFF
System Bot
revin

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 234
Rate this member

Report this Post05-23-2013 04:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for revinSend a Private Message to revinEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I would hold on to the side mirrors and all that go with them for a bit.
There was a guy that did that mod (from the valley) and as great of a idea , he did not like it very much. I don't think he had the monitors, just one on the double din radio.said he could not see as good with them as the mirrors.

I have front and rear infra red cameras.(night time) I like looking at them but while driving is hard to get used to. I can only hope you got some sort of wide angle,night cameras.
Marine1981

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-23-2013 04:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Marine1981Click Here to visit Marine1981's HomePageSend a Private Message to Marine1981Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I think I would go for the other steering wheel if you could get the controls on them to work. If not go for the Momo wheel!.
TXOPIE

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-23-2013 04:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TXOPIEClick Here to visit TXOPIE's HomePageSend a Private Message to TXOPIEEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Marine1981:

I think I would go for the other steering wheel if you could get the controls on them to work. If not go for the Momo wheel!.

Its not a matter of getting the controls to work...that is already done and figured out.

It is a preference and the way it looks mounted with the dash...i have been sitting with photo shop and dropping all different wheels in front of the dash...Amida gave us a great head forward shot...which enabled me to do my virtual tests and I still ordered the ones I like the most to check out and built the C6 wheel as well (which was a fun project in itself...even if I don't implement it).

Wait a few days and I am sure Archie will show a picture of the wheel mounted to Troyboy's ride...you will see what I mean...the wheel looks like it was designed to go with the G1 dash.

As far as the radio controls...it really is no big deal in a Fiero...I can as easily touch my touch screen with my right hand which doesn't leave the shift knob very often.
TXOPIE

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-23-2013 05:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TXOPIEClick Here to visit TXOPIE's HomePageSend a Private Message to TXOPIEEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

TXOPIE

2734 posts
Member since Mar 2012
UPDATE: Touch of blue anodized to the "MOMO" badge plate to see if I like the feel...since the stitching in everything else will be blue...

Still going to put a custom plate there...this is just to test the feel.

After looking at it for an hour or so...think I won't do the touch of blue, but do the badge like shown below:

[This message has been edited by TXOPIE (edited 05-23-2013).]

TXOPIE

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-24-2013 09:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TXOPIEClick Here to visit TXOPIE's HomePageSend a Private Message to TXOPIEEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
UPDATE: From Rob / Amida:
TXOPIE

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-26-2013 09:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TXOPIEClick Here to visit TXOPIE's HomePageSend a Private Message to TXOPIEEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
UPDATE: With Mr. Poe's assistance...starting putting the engine back together, plan on finishing up next weekend and firing her back up for the 1st time in 8 months .

TXOPIE

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-26-2013 10:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TXOPIEClick Here to visit TXOPIE's HomePageSend a Private Message to TXOPIEEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

TXOPIE

2734 posts
Member since Mar 2012
UPDATE:
EVM_Rob is going to do a new one off for my build. He is going to relocate the fuel door to the Ferrari location, just like the Stinger's did:

I believe he will be utilizing the same technique that Bloozberry did on his set:...By brazing a set out of some aluminum:

And utilize an aluminum locking cap like this:

[This message has been edited by TXOPIE (edited 05-26-2013).]

TXOPIE

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-27-2013 02:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TXOPIEClick Here to visit TXOPIE's HomePageSend a Private Message to TXOPIEEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
UPDATE: Next Friday will be finally ordering my Inalfa sunroof glass spoiler style 40x20 electric tinted glass w/ rollup sunshade:

This should be a fun project
TXOPIE

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-27-2013 09:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TXOPIEClick Here to visit TXOPIE's HomePageSend a Private Message to TXOPIEEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

TXOPIE

2734 posts
Member since Mar 2012
After staring at tons of photos of MERA and Ferrari rims, I have come up with the decision to utilize the following BBS CF-02 Rims:

using these center caps:

with these tires:
Ventus V4 ES H105 Size: 215/50ZR17:

[This message has been edited by TXOPIE (edited 05-27-2013).]

PaulJK

Feedback score:    (25)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 237
Rate this member

Report this Post05-28-2013 03:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PaulJKSend a Private Message to PaulJKEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by TXOPIE:

After staring at tons of photos of MERA and Ferrari rims, I have come up with the decision to utilize the following BBS CF-02 Rims:

What offset are you going to get ? The stock fiero offset will be way too far inside the 308 fender.
PFF
System Bot
TXOPIE

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-28-2013 11:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TXOPIEClick Here to visit TXOPIE's HomePageSend a Private Message to TXOPIEEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by PaulJK:

What offset are you going to get ? The stock fiero offset will be way too far inside the 308 fender.

Paul,

That is the part I am getting clarification on from several MERA owners.
I will utilize spacers if I can not get these with the offset built in, because
I REALLY like the rim and think it will look great with the body.

TXOPIE
TXOPIE

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-31-2013 06:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TXOPIEClick Here to visit TXOPIE's HomePageSend a Private Message to TXOPIEEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
UPDATE:

Ordered new 88 brake pads for my upgrade:

I have a complete front and rear used set of 88 calipers coming from member JHarvey for $100:

...honestly picked these up for just core exchanges for a complete RE-MANUFACTURED set from Auto Parts Warehouse for only $231.80 with core exchanges.

So for about $335.00 new RE-MANUFACTURED Calipers all around

[This message has been edited by TXOPIE (edited 05-31-2013).]

fieroseblack

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-31-2013 07:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroseblackSend a Private Message to fieroseblackEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I sent you a question in PM. I was regarding the hole size of the Solstice air vents.

Thanks

Mike Parker
TXOPIE

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-31-2013 09:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TXOPIEClick Here to visit TXOPIE's HomePageSend a Private Message to TXOPIEEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
UPDATE: I cleaned my trunk carpet following the guide on the forum and it worked beautifully!
I then purchase 2 cans of Dupli-color black carpet dye and re-colored it to match the new black carpet inside:

I am very happy with the results!
TXOPIE

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-01-2013 11:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TXOPIEClick Here to visit TXOPIE's HomePageSend a Private Message to TXOPIEEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
UPDATE:
Mr Poe stopped by and we got 99% there...I needed to finish up repairing (soldering) the inside wiring harness back together from when the original idiot that attempted the swap.
He cut into the internal harness on about 10-12 wires...I guess he couldn't get the original harness right (his poor attempt at 3800 wiring harness).

Once I have completed the repair, I will attempt to fire her up for the 1st time in many moons.
TXOPIE

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-04-2013 01:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TXOPIEClick Here to visit TXOPIE's HomePageSend a Private Message to TXOPIEEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
UPDATE:

USPS Dropped off the used set of calipers I purchased off the forum for core exchanges:

TXOPIE

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-05-2013 05:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TXOPIEClick Here to visit TXOPIE's HomePageSend a Private Message to TXOPIEEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
UPDATE: USPS dropped off my new brake pads:
TXOPIE

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-05-2013 10:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TXOPIEClick Here to visit TXOPIE's HomePageSend a Private Message to TXOPIEEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

TXOPIE

2734 posts
Member since Mar 2012
UPDATE: SHE LIVES!

I finished soldering the internal wires that the fool cut when first attempting the swap....they are done and are very solid!
I then filled up in the back with coolant till it overflowed in the front.
Got in the car sat on the new carpet, since I don't have the seats back in yet and I still waiting on certain someone to send be there adapter brackets for my C4 seats...since has them just laying around in a box and no longer utilizing them...I will have to email and remind him...but that is another story....
Turn the ignition till I heard all the electronics come on and silence...waited a few seconds....turn it back to off position.
Now pushed in the clutch and cracked her over once...she thought about and tried...Cranked her a SECOND time and we got ignition!
Let it run for 30 seconds and turn her off.
Got out and went and inspected the fuel rails, all the head connections, the new braided line connections from top and bottom to ensure for zero leak or issues.
Everything looks dry...no leaks...WOW!
Gained a little more space for more coolant after running her for the 30 seconds...so I topped her off.
Got back in the car again in the floor position and started her up again and let her run for another 2-3 minutes.

Mr Poe is scheduled to come by in the next 10 days, so I am not going to push my luck until he is here and does a good look over and listen to ensure everything passes by him.

When he comes by it will be to work on Phase 2:

* Install power steering
* Install 12'" rotors
* Install front hubs
* Install 88 calipers (front & back)
* Install Brake pads
* Bleed braking system (brake booster all the way through each brake)
* Install new Poly bushings where needed.

[This message has been edited by TXOPIE (edited 06-05-2013).]

TXOPIE

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-06-2013 01:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TXOPIEClick Here to visit TXOPIE's HomePageSend a Private Message to TXOPIEEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
UPDATE: Ordered the new set of Calipers from calipersonline.com:

[This message has been edited by TXOPIE (edited 06-06-2013).]

TXOPIE

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-07-2013 09:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TXOPIEClick Here to visit TXOPIE's HomePageSend a Private Message to TXOPIEEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
UPDATE:

Just purchased the following pieces from member ricksmastermix:

Held Motorsports Bumpsteer kit for '84 - '87. Has about 6,500 miles on it (List for $649.) Like new.

Held Motorsports rear coil-over strut kit with KYB struts for '84 - '87. Has about 6,500 miles on it. Perfect condition.

SCORE!

[This message has been edited by TXOPIE (edited 06-07-2013).]

PFF
System Bot
carbon

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 132
Rate this member

Report this Post06-07-2013 09:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for carbonSend a Private Message to carbonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Holy crap... this thread = $$$$$.

This car better get you your slippers and beer whenever you want it when you're done.

Great build!
TXOPIE

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-07-2013 10:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TXOPIEClick Here to visit TXOPIE's HomePageSend a Private Message to TXOPIEEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by carbon:

Holy crap... this thread = $$$$$.

This car better get you your slippers and beer whenever you want it when you're done.

Great build!

CARBON...thanks for the compliment!
I could have just gone a purchased a really nice new sports car, but wouldn't have gotten everything I wanted and its no where as much fun as doing it this way!
TXOPIE

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-07-2013 10:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TXOPIEClick Here to visit TXOPIE's HomePageSend a Private Message to TXOPIEEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

TXOPIE

2734 posts
Member since Mar 2012
UPDATE: Thought I would share a few photos of the my cleaned up window scissor...first time the windows have been up in about a year:

also here is a photo of the the passenger side camera replacement for side mirror:

Everything is just laid in place...to see how it will look.
TXOPIE

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-07-2013 12:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TXOPIEClick Here to visit TXOPIE's HomePageSend a Private Message to TXOPIEEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

TXOPIE

2734 posts
Member since Mar 2012
UPDATE: Just order my PROTHANE TOTAL KIT 84-87 FIERO URETHANE BUSHING -NEW!!!

TXOPIE

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-07-2013 07:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TXOPIEClick Here to visit TXOPIE's HomePageSend a Private Message to TXOPIEEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

TXOPIE

2734 posts
Member since Mar 2012
UPDATE: From AMIDA

TXOPIE

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-07-2013 09:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TXOPIEClick Here to visit TXOPIE's HomePageSend a Private Message to TXOPIEEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

TXOPIE

2734 posts
Member since Mar 2012
UPDATE: NEED FEEDBACK...what does everyone think of doing blue chrome beauty rings around the air vents to go with the blue stitching?

TXOPIE

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-09-2013 09:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TXOPIEClick Here to visit TXOPIE's HomePageSend a Private Message to TXOPIEEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
UPDATE: Roughing in the side-view monitors...they are going to work great (bright, clean & crisp) & the peripheral is twice as good as any mirror!
fireboss

Feedback score:    (20)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 58
Rate this member

Report this Post06-09-2013 11:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for firebossSend a Private Message to firebossEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
nice
deloreanant

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-10-2013 01:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for deloreanantSend a Private Message to deloreanantEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by TXOPIE:

UPDATE: NEED FEEDBACK...what does everyone think of doing blue chrome beauty rings around the air vents to go with the blue stitching?

Personally, I like it. If you decide you don't like it, you can always remove them later.
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 33 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20   21   22   23   24   25   26   27   28   29   30   31   32   33 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock