Pennock's Fiero Forum
  The Construction Zone
  My 88 Formula Interior Redesign (Page 21)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 22 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20   21   22 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
My 88 Formula Interior Redesign by Sofa King
Started on: 11-09-2009 07:58 AM
Replies: 865 (61229 views)
Last post by: JohnnyBones on 03-16-2016 07:44 PM
Sofa King

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-03-2011 03:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Sofa KingSend a Private Message to Sofa KingEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hey Gang,

I've been tinkering with the interior color scheme. Instead of black carpet, what do you guys think of Torch Red carpet with red on the door panels? Everything else would be black with as few grey highlights.
What do you think?

Then again... all red?

HMMMMM... too many ideas...

[This message has been edited by Sofa King (edited 01-03-2011).]

IP: Logged
kwagner

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post01-03-2011 08:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for kwagnerClick Here to visit kwagner's HomePageSend a Private Message to kwagnerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The top one looks pretty sharp in my opinion, kind of indyish. If you did the bottom option, I'd make the armrest (and the door handle and area) white as well to match.

[This message has been edited by kwagner (edited 01-03-2011).]

Fiero1K

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-07-2011 10:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero1KSend a Private Message to Fiero1KEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
LOVE the top one. Looks amazing. You would need some red carpeting to complete the look. MrMike links to some on his site.

The color splash makes it awesome.
katatak

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 82
Rate this member

Report this Post01-08-2011 09:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for katatakSend a Private Message to katatakEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
As always Greg, your "vision" is inspiring. I like the top one! I got your picks of the Caddy Concept! I really like the interior look - more angular but with a few subtle curves - it fits the XTC very well and you now have me going in a different direction - go figure! It's not the first time you have changed my course! I really need to get my Coupe done so I can dive head first into the XTC.

How did your "fit" problem turn out? Did you get the door panels straightened out?

Thanks for sharing all your ideas and work.

Pat

americasfuture2k

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 105
Rate this member

Report this Post01-21-2011 08:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for americasfuture2kSend a Private Message to americasfuture2kEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Sofa King:

The best part (what Nolan told me) you can fiberglass over the foam and the resin will not eat away at the foam

i dont remember if teh spray foam 'GreatStuff; is fiberglass resin resistant or not, but what foam is this? looks to be very useful for future plans.
Sofa King

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-24-2011 08:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Sofa KingSend a Private Message to Sofa KingEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hi All,

Sorry for the lack of updates. It has been VERY cold - I guess Winter is officially here. With the holidays, 2 snow storms and a few ice storms, I've had no time to do anything. So everything is in a holding pattern until things warm up a little. It sux! I really want to get it finished and drive the ol girl!
Sofa King

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-29-2011 05:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Sofa KingSend a Private Message to Sofa KingEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hi All,

The Good, the Bad and the Ugly. First, the Bad... Just this week I was recently laid off from my job. Scary as hell and I really didn't know what I was going to do. The good... well... my company wants me to stay and offered me my same position but at half the salary. In the todays economy I would have been stupid NOT to take it. The Ugly... I have a job, but now I have to move.

So... the Fiero is being put on hold while I move out of the house, try to get settled elsewhere and deal with the overall shock of last weeks events.

Not much to say... I just have to move forward with head held high... But no worries... I'll be back!
Icelander

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-30-2011 01:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for IcelanderSend a Private Message to IcelanderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That completely sucks! Get your resume out there asap. If you're competing with your former co-workers for full-pay positions, you want to be out there now. Not that you should turn down the half-pay job, it would really suck to give them a head start on landing work only to have your current employer drop you weeks/months down the road. It may also give you some leverage with your current employer if a few weeks down the road you're standing there with a full-pay offer in your hands and they've grown to depend on you.

I have no idea what you do for a living but I've seen similar situations.

Good luck! Hope you can get back on your feet quickly.

------------------
Kendall (Icelander) Whitlatch
'85 Fiero 2M4 - 5spd Isuzu
'88 CJB - EcoTec - In progress
'67 LeMans/GTO clone 6.5 litre TH400 - For Sale
All the rest aren't Pontiacs, so what does it matter?

aeffertz

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-30-2011 02:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for aeffertzSend a Private Message to aeffertzEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Oh oh oh!!! I love the red idea.
I'm a huge fan of colored interiors. I like both of your photoshops there, but if you went with the bottom one, you would need a lot more red in the car to pull it off (ie. seat covers, dash, etc.). I do think the first 'shop you did would look great with red carpet in the car and maybe a few dashes of red elsewhere.

Keep up the good work!
Sofa King

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-09-2011 07:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Sofa KingSend a Private Message to Sofa KingEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hi All,

After much thought and realization, I'm going to have to sell my 88 Coupe. My present financial situation has forced me to reevaluate and unfortunately the Fiero will have to go. It breaks my heart to have to do it, but I need to be smart and press forward.

It was a fun car, fun build and I met some great people! I'll still be around but I'll be watching from the bleechers for a while.

If you're interested in the car shoot me a PM.

Everybody take care!
Sourmug

Feedback score:    (29)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 144
Rate this member

Report this Post02-13-2011 01:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SourmugSend a Private Message to SourmugEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm really sorry to hear that and was looking forward to seeing it finished. Having said that, I can completely understand your decision, you have to do what is best for your situation.

Nolan
PFF
System Bot
tox1cchicken

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-14-2011 02:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tox1cchickenSend a Private Message to tox1cchickenEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

UPDATES

I spent the morning drving around town picking up replacement axles and bearings. I then came home and stripped the clearcoat off the rims - the chrome was in really bad shape. I also removed all the paint from the armrest. I now get to go back and FILL all the holes again for the 235th time. UGH... But it's so nice today... I don't mind

how did you clean up the rims? I can't seem to get mine to shine.

Edit: I want to see that ipod dock when it's done.

[This message has been edited by tox1cchicken (edited 02-14-2011).]

Sofa King

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-26-2011 10:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Sofa KingSend a Private Message to Sofa KingEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hi All,

I'm back... I think. While my financial situation has not gotten ANY better I have been unable to sell the Fiero - I think the economy plays a key role in that. So... I think what I'm going to do is try to continue working on the car - at least it will give me a much needed distraction. I certainly don't have the funds I once had but I can at least use the remaining material and try to hammer out a finished product. I would really like to see this project through to the end...

Anywho... I guess I'm back...
8-P

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-26-2011 10:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 8-PSend a Private Message to 8-PEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Hi All,

I'm back... I think. While my financial situation has not gotten ANY better I have been unable to sell the Fiero - I think the economy plays a key role in that. So... I think what I'm going to do is try to continue working on the car - at least it will give me a much needed distraction. I certainly don't have the funds I once had but I can at least use the remaining material and try to hammer out a finished product. I would really like to see this project through to the end...

Anywho... I guess I'm back...

Sorry to hear that, but we're glad to have you back! This is my favorite interior build on the forum - can't wait to see the finished product.

[This message has been edited by 8-P (edited 04-26-2011).]

Sourmug

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-26-2011 01:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SourmugSend a Private Message to SourmugEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Glad to hear that you are back!

Nolan
Sofa King

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-16-2011 08:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Sofa KingSend a Private Message to Sofa KingEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hi All,

Just as I was about to begin working on the the project the tonados ripped through my area (Huntsville, Harvest AL). Luckily I was not hurt nor received any damage to the home. But just 1/8 mile north of me there was extensive damage - it truly looked like a war zone. Reports now say that an EF5 tore through my area - I was VERY VERY lucky. To be honest, I've never seen anything like it. I've spent the last few weekends doing what I can to help.

I was without power for 6 days but was fortunate to have gas heat - so hot water was readily available. I opened my home to those without hot water. It's amazing what something as simple as hot shower can do for someone.

My thoughts and prayers go out to all those in need.
Sourmug

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-16-2011 10:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SourmugSend a Private Message to SourmugEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Glad to hear that you are OK!

Good for you for opening up your home, you'll have made a difference in these peoples lives.

Nolan
Tomski

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-17-2011 07:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TomskiSend a Private Message to TomskiEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Good to hear your still continuing this project, I can't wait to see whats next
Sofa King

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-07-2011 08:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Sofa KingSend a Private Message to Sofa KingEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hey Guys,

Change of plan... the driver side door panel was SO warped I tried everything to get it to fit and wound up accidently cracking it half... GRRRR!!!!

But I'm still moving forward with the door panels and I have another idea to achieve the same look. Sit tight! Things are happening!

Also... I'm working an idea with something I saw at The Fiero Factory. Pics coming soon! HINT: air
Sofa King

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-11-2011 02:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Sofa KingSend a Private Message to Sofa KingEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hey Gang,

Time to let you in on a new project I'm working on... I'll let the photos speak for themselves. And yes... If all goes well, I hope to make some money off of this new adventure...

Sketches

Foam core mock

Sitting next to original - Ram Air!!!!

Mock Up positioned on the car - still lots of work to do

Original on Car

There are a few compound curves I was unable to create with form core so I'm going to see if I can splash molds from the original. I'm considering making the base large enough to cover the entire vent. Still unsure how it will attach to the vent or if I should create everything from fiberglass to be a direct bolt on. Also, working the idea of whether to just act as vent or an "actual" ram air intake. I'd have to modify the filter lid or again... create something new... OH the humanity!

Stay Tuned!

[This message has been edited by Sofa King (edited 06-11-2011).]

Austrian Import

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-22-2011 05:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Austrian ImportSend a Private Message to Austrian ImportEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Looks good. Reminds me of the 2nd gen Mr-2.
I just wanted to remind you though, that these vents are designed to extract air from the engine area, not suck air in.
PFF
System Bot
Sofa King

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-02-2011 10:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Sofa KingSend a Private Message to Sofa KingEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The plan is to modify the airfilter housing / lid so it directly pushes cold air. It's still a working idea...
Sofa King

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-02-2011 10:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Sofa KingSend a Private Message to Sofa KingEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Sofa King

929 posts
Member since Aug 2008
UPDATE! As you guys know I really messed up when I applied fiberglass directly to the bare door panels. There was just too much warping to fix. Had I taken the time to think things through a little more I might have pulled it off - I'm not giving up on that particular design and I will eventually see it completed - but, for these panels I am going in a new direction.

I took the 2 stock panels and door pulls to the local upholstry shop. This is where we are now...

The door pulls will be all black with grey stitch...

More to come!
Sofa King

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-15-2011 01:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Sofa KingSend a Private Message to Sofa KingEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hi All,

I drove by the shop working on the door panels and they look great so far! I was able to snap only one pic (I'll post later) but we're moving right along...

Sorry for the lack of posts. I did start a new job and things are still a bit hectic...
Sourmug

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-15-2011 08:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SourmugSend a Private Message to SourmugEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Cool
Sofa King

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-17-2011 02:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Sofa KingSend a Private Message to Sofa KingEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hi All,

Sorry for the delay... had a lot to do this weekend. Here is an updated pic of one of the door panels... More to come!

Not much to look at... but tis a move forward! Alas no... those aren't my seats. Dont I wish!

[This message has been edited by Sofa King (edited 07-17-2011).]

Sofa King

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-20-2011 02:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Sofa KingSend a Private Message to Sofa KingEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hey Gang...

I'm getting that itch again to really get out and start fabricating again... No more sissying around... I have SO MANY ideas running through my head but I just dont know where to begin... or try to finish what I've started.

Anyway... just wanted to get that off my chest!
Sourmug

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-20-2011 06:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SourmugSend a Private Message to SourmugEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well, get crakin' then!

Nolan
Sofa King

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-21-2011 02:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Sofa KingSend a Private Message to Sofa KingEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I know I know... BAD ME!

As the shop works on the upholstering the other set of door panels I am going to go back and attempt to correct the errors in the original fiberglassed panels I had been working on. I dont like leaving a job unfinished. I think with enough patience I can correct the errors and make the panels work.

Also, with the heat wave MANY of us are experiencing... I'll try leaving the panels in the sun for a few hours. Hopfully that help bend the panels back into original form.

Time to go purchase some 2 grit sandpaper!!! That ought to take down any imperfections!

[This message has been edited by Sofa King (edited 07-21-2011).]

Sourmug

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-21-2011 05:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SourmugSend a Private Message to SourmugEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
2 grit sandpaper....isn't that the same as hooking them up to the back of the car and going for a drive down a gravel road?

I'm sure that you can salvage them, but it's going to take a bit of work.

Nolan
Sofa King

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-22-2011 07:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Sofa KingSend a Private Message to Sofa KingEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It was either dragging them or taping 2 rocks to a piece duct tape... Either or...
PFF
System Bot
Sofa King

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-22-2011 03:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Sofa KingSend a Private Message to Sofa KingEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Sofa King

929 posts
Member since Aug 2008
It was either dragging them or taping 2 rocks to a piece duct tape... Either or...
Sofa King

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-25-2011 02:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Sofa KingSend a Private Message to Sofa KingEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hi Gang,

No pics to post. I spent the day heating and trying to massage the drivers side door panel into shape. Its an uphill battle but I think its going to work.

I then have to fix all the cracks in the fiberglass... which of course means what? Sanding, filling, sanding, filling, sanding...
tophat

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-22-2011 09:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tophatSend a Private Message to tophatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
bump for excellent craftsmanship!
Austrian Import

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-23-2011 03:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Austrian ImportSend a Private Message to Austrian ImportEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I see a cool racing (sports) seat in the background. Can you tell us more about it? Does it fit a Fiero?
Sofa King

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-07-2011 05:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Sofa KingSend a Private Message to Sofa KingEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I saw that too. It's actually an office chair... sorry
Sofa King

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-07-2011 05:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Sofa KingSend a Private Message to Sofa KingEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Sofa King

929 posts
Member since Aug 2008
Hi All,

I just got moved into the new house and should be started up again pretty soon. I've missed working on the ol girl. She's been sitting in the garage giving me the skunk eye everytime I leave for work... Hang tight
Sofa King

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-23-2011 10:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Sofa KingSend a Private Message to Sofa KingEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hi All,

This Wed I drove by the shop that is working on the door panels and they hadn't even started. They had a few pieces of material cut and stiched but NOTHING has been done to the panel itself for over 2 months. Needless to say I was ANGRY. I demanded to speak with the owner of the shop. Without getting into the gory details, he repeatedly apologized and assured me they would be done today (Friday - Sept 23, 2011)... I stared at him for the longest 10 seconds of his life, shook his hand, told him I would back on Friday and left the shop.

BUT... he's not charging me for anything...

STAND BY
Sourmug

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-23-2011 09:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SourmugSend a Private Message to SourmugEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Cool!
Sofa King

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-26-2011 07:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Sofa KingSend a Private Message to Sofa KingEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
UPDATES and DISAPPOINTMENTS

Well... here they are straight from the upholstry shop. And guess what? They dont fit! The overall design is exactly what I wanted but the execution was terrible! While the owner was very apologetic the panels are all messed up. I have to carefully peel back the vinyl and then remove ALL the friggin foam I specifically asked them NOT to add. They added foam to the top lip of the panel that slides into the groove on the door thus making it too thick. Which is EXACTLY what I knew would happen. The earlier pics show the foam which I asked them to remove... UGH... There are no pics of the panels on the door - they didnt fit. But I'll let the pics do the talking...

Overall design

I have to remove ALL these staples

Staples removed and vinyl peeled away

Beginning to remove foam from original vinyl backing

This is where I am now

The good news... the door pulls turned out great!!!

So that's it for now... very frustrating indeed. But i'll get these panels finished if it kills me!

[This message has been edited by Sofa King (edited 09-26-2011).]

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 22 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20   21   22 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock