Pennock's Fiero Forum
  The Construction Zone
  My 88 Formula Interior Redesign (Page 18)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 22 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20   21   22 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
My 88 Formula Interior Redesign by Sofa King
Started on: 11-09-2009 07:58 AM
Replies: 865 (61227 views)
Last post by: JohnnyBones on 03-16-2016 07:44 PM
Sofa King

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-07-2010 09:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Sofa KingSend a Private Message to Sofa KingEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
A few more updates:

Got the sanding finished on the cup holder

Just need to paint the dark grey area next

Lots of sanding a filler build up on the door panel

Side by Side

I decided to go with the darker grey - it looks much better. However, I will have to do a little extra fiberglass work near the bottom on the radio cover. I don't like the rounded edges

Moew to come!

[This message has been edited by Sofa King (edited 06-07-2010).]

IP: Logged
katatak

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 82
Rate this member

Report this Post06-07-2010 10:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for katatakSend a Private Message to katatakEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Better and better......I like the grey suround base with the black cover - looks great.
Sofa King

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-08-2010 05:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Sofa KingSend a Private Message to Sofa KingEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks! It felt nice getting back out there and working. I didn't realize how burnt out I was...

Next in line is ALL mechanical: front bearings, all 4 callipers, rotors and pads, new A/C compressor and Rack & Pinion. UGH... It's an expensive hobby
Sofa King

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-12-2010 07:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Sofa KingSend a Private Message to Sofa KingEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
UPDATES!!!!!

It was 95 degrees and what felt like 100% humidity! But I got a lot DONE! Check it out

I masked off the armrest/cupholder to prep for the dark grey

Couple coats later

I removed the tape too soon and peeled the paint

After it was masked again and then sprayed with several coats flat clear

I'm doing a test with this texture paint

The plan is to sand down to see if I can create the same look as the dash - if this works I'll paint the console
This images is larger than 153600 bytes. Click to view.

I did a lot of sanding on the door panel

Another

A few more touch ups with filler & primer and lots of sanding and she'll be ready for the next phase - cutting the black portion

With filler / primer

That's it for today - lots more tomorrow!
grkboy707

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-13-2010 08:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for grkboy707Send a Private Message to grkboy707Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Lookin good man! Thats an interesting idea for the textured spray paint. Show some pics of what it'll look like in the car please!
Sofa King

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-23-2010 09:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Sofa KingSend a Private Message to Sofa KingEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hi All,

The car is now at the Fiero Factory getting fixed: wheel bearings, brakes, steering colum fixed, rack & pinion, and much more. The new radio came in so I'll be able to start work on the iPod connection - that's going to be a fun project!

I also sent the headliner and sun visors to be recovered. I was hoping to have the headliner done with the black vinyl but they said the material was too thick so they're applying a black foam material. But everything should be ready by the first of the next week!

Also, on the weather front - it's been in the 100's so working out in the garage has been less than comfortable. But not to worry. I'll muster up some strength and get back out there.
Sofa King

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-23-2010 09:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Sofa KingSend a Private Message to Sofa KingEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Sofa King

929 posts
Member since Aug 2008

Originally posted by grkboy707:

Lookin good man! Thats an interesting idea for the textured spray paint. Show some pics of what it'll look like in the car please!

Thanks! The first attempt didn't turn out exactly how I wanted. I have several scrap pieces of glass lying around so I'm going to practice a bit more
katatak

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-23-2010 08:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for katatakSend a Private Message to katatakEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
While it's over at the Fiero Factory, might as well have them stuff a 4.9 in there! I like the texture idea. I'll have to send you some pics of the wrinkle paint I tried back in the winter! After sitting in the shed for all this time, it looks really good - already thinking about something new for the V8 Coupe. Although we will have to wait till the Fall - it's just too damn hot here for glass work!

Pat

CrazyBernie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-23-2010 11:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CrazyBernieSend a Private Message to CrazyBernieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I just read through this whole thread... very nice. I was tooling around on the intertoobs for information about simulated leather paint... when I found this interesting Patent Application from 1993:

http://www.freepatentsonline.com/5438085.html

It details the creation of a leather-like paint and if you read the PDF, appears to give the ingredients and mixture levels to create your own... !

Dunno what you would be looking at cost-wise, but it might be worth a look-see.

Also, the '89 prototype with the rounded edges and multi-grays reminds me of the Japanese SNES, the Super Famicom

Sofa King

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-26-2010 12:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Sofa KingSend a Private Message to Sofa KingEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hi All,

I drove by the Fiero Factory yesterday and it turns out the cross member IS bent and will need to be replaced - ugh...

However, I got lots of pics of the car, a real nice Dino replica and the Fiero Factory itself - the warehouse is amazing! Those who have never been or seen pics you're in for quite a treat! PICS COMING SOON!
Sofa King

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-02-2010 08:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Sofa KingSend a Private Message to Sofa KingEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
hey guys, a few photo updates. The car has been at the Fiero Factory for the past few weeks. Here are some pics

Kinda Boring

New deck lid - the lock area on my lid was completely rusted out so were changing this out

I got some new play paint!

More soon!
PFF
System Bot
Sofa King

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-02-2010 08:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Sofa KingSend a Private Message to Sofa KingEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Sofa King

929 posts
Member since Aug 2008
A few more pics - VERY COOL Dino replica sitting in the lot at the Fiero Factory!

Enjoy!
Sofa King

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-02-2010 08:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Sofa KingSend a Private Message to Sofa KingEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Sofa King

929 posts
Member since Aug 2008
Guys,

I forgot how much fun it was posting to the forum! LOL I'll be creating a new post called "The Fiero Factory" and wanted to give you guys a sneak peak at what's coming...

Need a dash? Yeah, they got that!

Need some seat foam? I think they have a few

Need a gauge cluster? hmmmm... I'm not sure if they have any

Need some washer fluid?
aeffertz

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-06-2010 11:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for aeffertzSend a Private Message to aeffertzEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just like to say you've inspired me to give fiberglassing a shot. Laid down my first ever fiberglass today. Wasn't as bad as I thought.
Keep up the good work!
Sofa King

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-07-2010 12:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Sofa KingSend a Private Message to Sofa KingEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
CONGRATS! Glassing is a lot of fun. But you got to post images! Let's see the work!
Sofa King

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-13-2010 12:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Sofa KingSend a Private Message to Sofa KingEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hi All,

Just got the car back from The Fiero Factory! Jeremy and his team did an amazing job! She feels like a completely different car! THANKS TO THE FACTORY!!!!

Also, I've decided to go in another direction with the entire center console. You see... this is what happens when you sit for too long and let your mind wander... I'll be redoing the entire armrest, cupholder and center stack using the the stock pieces instead of making all new ones - that was the first mistake I made. The basic design will stay the same for the armrest, I just want to use the skeleton and create a few more little goodies.

When the new armrest / cupholder is semi-finished I'll sell the old one to the highest bidder!

BACK TO THE PILE!
Sofa King

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-19-2010 09:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Sofa KingSend a Private Message to Sofa KingEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
TEENY TINY Update

I installed the recently re-painted cupholder. I really like the contrasting colors

Kento

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 131
Rate this member

Report this Post07-19-2010 11:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for KentoSend a Private Message to KentoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I like it, looks good! custom but stock looking at the same time.

------------------

Found a Red 84 4speed, Waiting to get a house so I can re-home it
There are Two kinds of Fiero's : Notchies and Donors!

aaronkoch

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-19-2010 01:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for aaronkochSend a Private Message to aaronkochEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That's just pure sexy right there..

VERY nice work.

------------------
----------------------------------------------------
Currently in the middle of my 88 + 3800NA swap

Sofa King

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-20-2010 09:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Sofa KingSend a Private Message to Sofa KingEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for kind words! When I get started on the next console, this badboy will be up for sale!
magot

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-20-2010 05:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for magotSend a Private Message to magotEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Looking real good! I want to do something similar to my center radio consol, that looks real clean and stock, awesome work and keep it up! How's the door panels coming? Anything new with them?

------------------
Project "Devil Dawg"

01 GTP 3800SC "In Progress"
Interior Restoration "In Progress"

PFF
System Bot
Sofa King

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-21-2010 10:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Sofa KingSend a Private Message to Sofa KingEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks! No work on the door panels as of late. Every time I go out to work on them the 100+ degree heat and humidity hit me smack in the face and it's just unbearable! I tried working on them at 6 in the morning on the weekends and it's just too humid to do anything... except sweat!

But not to worry - I'm not going to abandon the project, I just can't deal with the heat - i know... call me a wuss! LOL
katatak

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-25-2010 03:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for katatakSend a Private Message to katatakEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
OK - You asked for it! WUSS!

J/K - the console looks great Greg. I have not had much tine for any "glass work" these days. I have been building a few arm rest pads for the my Formula, the XTC and a few of the local guys Fieros - just a simple fiber glass cap with headliner material glued to it. They work great in the heat - no more forearm sticking to the arm rest/console area.

I'm have a new project for the winter - going to build a Fiero "roadster". Right now the vision is a 86 coupe sans roof and a cut down windshield - more of a wind screen. British racing green with one white or light yellow stripe, British sports car "toneau" cover, custom built interior tube cage/chassis support, install a 10 gallon fuel cell in the spare tire well/truck area, remove the gass tank tunnel and build a complete - race car style aluminum interior. The center console will be low - about the same height as the seat bottom. Move the shifter back - closer to the driver. All backed up by a 350 SBC and a 5 or 6 spd! Sound good? I already have the car - just need the time to get into it. There will be a lot of glass work molding in the tops of the "missing" B pilars. Most the rest of the interior will be rolled and beaded aluminum - I want it to have a road race look with aftermarket guages, speedo and tach. I am pretty pumped and am hoping to have it done for next summers rod runs and maybe some autocross!

Pat
Sofa King

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-26-2010 11:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Sofa KingSend a Private Message to Sofa KingEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hey K,

Love the armrest covers - simple yet very functional! The roadster sounds like a great project! Do you have any sketches of the project? I've always toyed with the idea of a factory made/looking Fiero convertible. Are you going to start a new post?

Am I a wuss? YES I AM! I admit it... LOL And I am very ashamed... And with that... I'll force myself to get back out there!
Sofa King

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-03-2010 02:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Sofa KingSend a Private Message to Sofa KingEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
A frustrating end to a great weekend! I was on my way home after a long drive when the 88 just quit on me. I was able to start the car several times and limp a little way before it would quit. I had a full tank and could hear the fuel pump working... Each time it quit I would hear the whine of the pump and PFFFT - she would quit. It got to the point where it would only run for about 10-20 seconds before quiting.

I have no idea what's going on but she's back at the Fiero Factory.

I'm hoping for a quick and inexpensive fix!
Sofa King

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-09-2010 04:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Sofa KingSend a Private Message to Sofa KingEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I know guys are waiting for updates but the temps are still too high - triple digits!!!! I just ask you be patient!
Sofa King

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-16-2010 08:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Sofa KingSend a Private Message to Sofa KingEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
DESIGN UPDATE

Hi All,

Taking a design idea from Katatak... I'm going to create a fiberglass overlay for the cupholder. The concept will be very similar in concept and design as the one Katatak is creating for his car and other members. I'm going to try to wrap my overlay with leatherette / vinyl. Here is concept image.

It's supposed to be 112 degrees today... UGH
Sofa King

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-17-2010 09:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Sofa KingSend a Private Message to Sofa KingEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
UPDATE!!!

I saw a LARGE package on my front porch when I left for work this morning... HMMMMM... I wonder what it is????

STAY TUNED!!!!!
Sourmug

Feedback score:    (29)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 144
Rate this member

Report this Post08-17-2010 02:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SourmugSend a Private Message to SourmugEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Sofa King

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-18-2010 08:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Sofa KingSend a Private Message to Sofa KingEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
MASSIVE MAJOR HUGE AWESOME UPDATE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

As of this moment the radio stack design has changed! Why? Well... A few changes are about to take place. I mentioned that I received a package in the mail... Check it out!

The Package - if you notice... the delivery man left the package in the friggin rain. UGH... Luckily there was enough packing material to protect the contents. What contents?

Unloading all the goodies... what could it be?

Wait? HUH?

This dash cluster won't fit in a Fiero! Or will it?

BINGO

Backside

Up close

Side View

I am really PUMPED about this project and can't wait to get started on creating the new center stack.

I'm hoping I can drop the cluster off with Jeremy at the Fiero Factory. He likes to tinker with electronics so this is going to be a MASSIVE challenge for him - I hope he's up for the task. If there is anybody in the Huntsville, AL area who is electronics whiz... drop me a line! I know it's not an exact replica of the concept cluster but I think it's cool either way. 89 Concept Dash... Here I come! LOL

STAY TUNED!!!!!

[This message has been edited by Sofa King (edited 08-18-2010).]

Sourmug

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-18-2010 02:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SourmugSend a Private Message to SourmugEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That looks like it has some great potential, can't wait to see the finished pod!

Nolan
PFF
System Bot
josef644

Feedback score:    (71)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 103
Rate this member

Report this Post08-18-2010 03:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for josef644Send a Private Message to josef644Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
And you are gonna just stop right there and not tell us any more information , such where did it come from, any more for sale ,etc. You get the picture?
Fierofreak00

Feedback score:    (20)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 170
Rate this member

Report this Post08-18-2010 07:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fierofreak00Send a Private Message to Fierofreak00Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Man does that look familiar....glad it got there in one piece... Check your PM's -JC

Also check with JSCOTT he was making adapter boxes for the F-body dash swaps. I believe that is one of the keys to making it work. I was talking to him about it a couple of years ago when I first got it.

Originally posted by josef644:

And you are gonna just stop right there and not tell us any more information , such where did it come from, any more for sale ,etc. You get the picture?

It's a one off, hand made and no molds it needs more work than what I already put into it...Alot of modification of the circut board and needle board. It might be kinda difficult to replicate.

[This message has been edited by Fierofreak00 (edited 08-18-2010).]

Fierofreak00

Feedback score:    (20)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 170
Rate this member

Report this Post08-18-2010 07:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fierofreak00Send a Private Message to Fierofreak00Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Fierofreak00

4221 posts
Member since Jun 2001
Double post, I didn't think you could still do that....

[This message has been edited by Fierofreak00 (edited 08-18-2010).]

Sofa King

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-19-2010 08:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Sofa KingSend a Private Message to Sofa KingEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by josef644:

I'm sorry!!!!! I wasn't thinking! LOL I purchased the cluster from a fellow member Jason (aka Fierofreak00) I really lucked out on this purchase! Thanks J!!! I'm considering splashing molds of the housing but that's it. There is a method called vacu forming where a hot piece of plastic is placed over any object and the plastic is pulled down by a vacuum and takes the shape of whatever object you're taking a mold from - that's the simple explanation. Here's a link for a basic understanding: http://www.youtube.com/watc...DTUo&feature=related

I'm not an electronics whiz by any means so any electronic conversion / modifications will have to be done by the owner - but at least they have a really cool housing to start with!

I did chat with Jeremy at the Fiero Factory and he is willing to tackle the job but it won't be until late fall / winter when things begin to slow down. And I'm fine with that. As you know I am working the door panels and a new center console is going to be fabricated as well - especially with the new cluster. I will also be working on the new housing - sanding, glassing, etc... As many of you know I'm somewhat of a perfectionist so this project is really going to be fun!

[This message has been edited by Sofa King (edited 08-19-2010).]

grkboy707

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-19-2010 06:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for grkboy707Send a Private Message to grkboy707Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I step out for a few weeks, and this happens?!? I'm proud to call you my teacher! Its looking really cool, and I cant wait to see it when its finished- or as close to finished as it'll be in my lifetime (these dang projects never end!)
Sofa King

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-20-2010 07:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Sofa KingSend a Private Message to Sofa KingEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You are correct! The projects don't end... ever! That's what makes cars so fun. The personalization of our cars is so diverse and also very exciting (let's be honest). From low riders, to rice burners, to moster trucks to Fieros. We all share the same passion... cars cars cars!

I'm really pumped to get started on a whole new center console - from the radio to the ECM. I'm going to try my hand at foam as well - just to see how that plays out. I'm creating a whole new armrest console that will include the original skeleton. I want to take advantage of the mounting point and side vents. The one I already created will be for sale. Not sure on a price yet or if anybody even wants it?

How are your projects coming along?
Sofa King

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-22-2010 09:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Sofa KingSend a Private Message to Sofa KingEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Minor Update

Despite the horrible heat I went ahead and painted the new cluster housing to get an idea of what it might look like. I also painted the texture coated piece of fiberglass - I'm still unsure of the final product

After some light sanding and awaiting paint

Same for the backside

Another

Painting begins

Backside has the dark grey paint

Side by side

After drying I test fitted the pieces and then joined with the cluster - I LOVE IT!

I recently had the Fiero Factory install the trunk release switch but I don't have a defroster so I'll need to fill one of the holes - bottom right side will be the likely candidate. I would like to keep the layout the same as the stock dash.

I'm also thinking about creating a replacement bolt on cluster cover that mimics the 89 concept pod - curves and what not. Not sure how I'll tackle this but the concept would be interesting. What do you guys think?

More to come!

[This message has been edited by Sofa King (edited 08-22-2010).]

Sofa King

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-25-2010 09:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Sofa KingSend a Private Message to Sofa KingEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
GOOD NEWS

For the first time in almost 2 months the temp actually dropped below 90 during the day and got to the 60's at night... not that anybody is really interested in the weather... but it means I can finally start working on the interior again!
Sourmug

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-25-2010 05:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SourmugSend a Private Message to SourmugEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yes that would be interesting to see what you come up with to mimic the 89 cluster. Glad to hear that the weather isn't so hot, you should come live up here!

Nolan
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 22 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20   21   22 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock