Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat
  Pontiackid86's 84 DGP IMSA Stage III build thread. (Page 9)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 21 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20   21 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
Pontiackid86's 84 DGP IMSA Stage III build thread. by pontiackid86
Started on: 08-06-2010 01:28 PM
Replies: 839 (30203 views)
Last post by: IMSA GT on 06-03-2021 07:59 PM
pontiackid86

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 344
Rate this member

Report this Post09-23-2010 12:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pontiackid86Send a Private Message to pontiackid86Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by av8fiero:

I've seen several DGP IMSA's painted up like that. Your car wasn't the only one. Is the SPI fender tag still on the car? Can you take and post a pic of it? It appears you're making good progress on this car, good luck with your build

Are you talking about that metal tag inside the spare tire compartment or the metal tag thats rivited onto the fender?

IP: Logged
av8fiero

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-23-2010 01:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for av8fieroSend a Private Message to av8fieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I've seen several DGP IMSA's painted up like that. Your car wasn't the only one. Is the SPI fender tag still on the car? Can you take and post a pic of it? It appears you're making good progress on this car, good luck with your build

edit to add--- I just ran a search on The_stickman2 looking for any history he may have found on your car. All that was there was speculation as to it's history. It appears to be a very early car but from what I saw there was never any documentation found as to who built it or what is was built for. Looking through that thread it doesn't appear to be a validateable prototype/promotional car. I'm not saying it isn't what you hope it to be, but nothing has surfaced to prove it is such.

RAREW66 commented in some of the threads and really only seemed mainly interested in the SD4 as those parts are harder and harder to find.. He is a big time Fiero collector and very knowledgable as to Fiero history. If he wasn't interested in the car I would say it most likely wasn't built by or for Pontiac/GM.

It may have been built by DGP, or another company or race team for promotional purposes, but I don't know how you could prove that. You could possibly run a title search on the car to track down previous owners and that may lead you back to who, when, where, and for what, the car was built.

I wouldn't be suprised though if you find out in the end it is merely an IMSA bodied fiero that had an SD4 installed. If that's what it turns out to be you still have a VERY interesting special car, build it and enjoy it

The SPI or SERVICE PARTS IDENTIFICATION tag with the vin and all the rpo[option] codes that came on your car from the factory. The spi tag on my car is just a sticker on the inner fenderwell in the trunk area. I know the tags are different on the 84's, and I'm no 84 expert. Which ever tag has the rpo codes on it is what I'm talking about.

edit to add--- good luck with your history dig

------------------
BLACKKER 1988 choptop v8

http://www.foxvalleyfieros.webs.com/

N.I.F.E. member #461
http://www.fierofocus.com/

[This message has been edited by av8fiero (edited 09-27-2010).]

pontiackid86

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-23-2010 01:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pontiackid86Send a Private Message to pontiackid86Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

The SPI or SERVIVCE PARTS IDENTIFICATION tag with the vin and all the rpo[option] codes that came on your car from the factory. The spi tag on my car is just a sticker on the inner fenderwell in the trunk area. I know the tags are different on the 84's, and I'm no 84 expert. Which ever tag has the rpo codes on it is what I'm talking about.

edit to add--- good luck with your history dig

Got ya i have an RPO sheet and the metal tag in the wheel well. i thought you were talking about the metal tag that rivited onto the fender. I'll get a pic of it today.
pontiackid86

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-23-2010 04:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pontiackid86Send a Private Message to pontiackid86Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

pontiackid86

19632 posts
Member since Sep 2008
As requested. heres the RPO and other tags

Close ups of the RPO

Fender tag
86fieroEarl

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 117
Rate this member

Report this Post09-25-2010 04:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 86fieroEarlSend a Private Message to 86fieroEarlEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Another one bites the dust LOL, 6 pages of nothing but taking a engine out of a car, This is not a build thread but a destroy thread haha
RWDPLZ

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 304
Rate this member

Report this Post09-25-2010 05:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RWDPLZClick Here to visit RWDPLZ's HomePageSend a Private Message to RWDPLZEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Wow that's an early car, 11,086, an SE, and it was originally white, too. I can't make out any of the numbers on the white tag, past 84...
bubbajoexxx

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 112
Rate this member

Report this Post09-25-2010 05:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bubbajoexxxClick Here to visit bubbajoexxx's HomePageSend a Private Message to bubbajoexxxEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
84PSRFF111
KurtAKX

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 128
Rate this member

Report this Post09-25-2010 09:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KurtAKXSend a Private Message to KurtAKXEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Lemme know when you put this car up for sale
pontiackid86

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-26-2010 12:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for pontiackid86Send a Private Message to pontiackid86Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Good running duke and isuzu aquired today... i would put them in tomorrow but i gota go help a friend of mine with someinf in the mountians. I'll update when i get back.
SNAPPY829

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-26-2010 12:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SNAPPY829Send a Private Message to SNAPPY829Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by pontiackid86:

i gota go help a friend of mine with someinf in the mountians. I'll update when i get back.

Oh, is that what you young whipper snappers call it these days!!! Way to go PK!!
Valkyrie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-26-2010 12:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ValkyrieSend a Private Message to ValkyrieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Make sure you keep away from those Brokeback Mountains. I hear terrible, terrible things.
PFF
System Bot
DIY_Stu

Feedback score:    (50)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 111
Rate this member

Report this Post09-26-2010 03:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DIY_StuClick Here to visit DIY_Stu's HomePageSend a Private Message to DIY_StuEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Valkyrie:

Make sure you keep away from those Brokeback Mountains. I hear terrible, terrible things.

If you do, please DON'T post your "toothpaste" pictures!
pontiackid86

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-26-2010 09:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pontiackid86Send a Private Message to pontiackid86Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I swear you guys are haters . i had to go help him doig a hole
IMSA GT

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 251
Rate this member

Report this Post09-26-2010 09:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IMSA GTSend a Private Message to IMSA GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I swear you guys are haters . i had to go help him doig a hole

Dumping a body?
Hulki U. My-BFF

Feedback score:    (25)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 248
Rate this member

Report this Post09-26-2010 09:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Hulki U. My-BFFSend a Private Message to Hulki U. My-BFFEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by IMSA GT:

Dumping a body?

Buried the IMSA.
pontiackid86

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-26-2010 09:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pontiackid86Send a Private Message to pontiackid86Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Nah to install a new septic system.
RWDPLZ

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-27-2010 12:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RWDPLZClick Here to visit RWDPLZ's HomePageSend a Private Message to RWDPLZEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I would put them in tomorrow but i gota go help a friend of mine with someinf in the mountians...i had to go help him doig a hole

Originally posted by Valkyrie:
Make sure you keep away from those Brokeback Mountains. I hear terrible, terrible things

Dumping a body?

pontiackid86

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-27-2010 01:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for pontiackid86Send a Private Message to pontiackid86Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Hulki U. My-BFF:

Buried the IMSA.

Lol you wish.
pontiackid86

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-27-2010 01:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pontiackid86Send a Private Message to pontiackid86Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

pontiackid86

19632 posts
Member since Sep 2008
Thanks to the oger heres my imsa's new motor for the time being. its a low miles very good running motor and leaks no oil what so ever
IMSA GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-27-2010 02:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IMSA GTSend a Private Message to IMSA GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I recommend this although there is a lot of work involved:
//www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/102068.html

[This message has been edited by IMSA GT (edited 09-27-2010).]

pontiackid86

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-27-2010 02:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pontiackid86Send a Private Message to pontiackid86Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Not bad. where did you find that?
PFF
System Bot
IMSA GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-27-2010 02:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IMSA GTSend a Private Message to IMSA GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just make sure you are aware of the work involved to make this fit the Duke.

http://www.gmpartsdirect.co...SjqKQCFQI_gwod8F-O6A

Just type in the part number in the search field.

[This message has been edited by IMSA GT (edited 09-27-2010).]

RWDPLZ

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-27-2010 06:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RWDPLZClick Here to visit RWDPLZ's HomePageSend a Private Message to RWDPLZEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Check out the dipstick tube, appears to be a pre-recall motor. Also missing the (recall) heatshield on the exhaust manifold. But it has the later style water pump pulley?
pontiackid86

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-27-2010 07:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pontiackid86Send a Private Message to pontiackid86Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by RWDPLZ:

Check out the dipstick tube, appears to be a pre-recall motor. Also missing the (recall) heatshield on the exhaust manifold. But it has the later style water pump pulley?

Ya the oger told me about that with the dip stick.. i dunno about the pully it is an 86 motor.
KurtAKX

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-27-2010 10:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KurtAKXSend a Private Message to KurtAKXEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Thanks to the oger heres my imsa's new motor for the time being. its a low miles very good running motor and leaks no oil what so ever

That's a handsome looking engine you've got there.
pontiackid86

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-27-2010 10:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pontiackid86Send a Private Message to pontiackid86Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by KurtAKX:

That's a handsome looking engine you've got there.

Lol dosent have to be pretty, just had to move the car.
KurtAKX

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-27-2010 10:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KurtAKXSend a Private Message to KurtAKXEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Lol dosent have to be pretty, just had to move the car.

fortunately for you, it's going to do both
RWDPLZ

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-27-2010 10:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RWDPLZClick Here to visit RWDPLZ's HomePageSend a Private Message to RWDPLZEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Somehow I don't see him pulling this off. Although the engine in the link is the later duke, so putting it on an earlier one may be less involved. But I'm sure you'll have the same clearance problem with the EGR valve.
pontiackid86

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-28-2010 03:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pontiackid86Send a Private Message to pontiackid86Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Did a little bit of tinkering today. i can see that the 84 harness and the 86 harness are a lot diffrent from each other but it dosent scare me to much. i'll get er done.
mattwa

Feedback score:    (41)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 88
Rate this member

Report this Post09-28-2010 04:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mattwaSend a Private Message to mattwaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Did a little bit of tinkering today. i can see that the 84 harness and the 86 harness are a lot diffrent from each other but it dosent scare me to much. i'll get er done.

I'm confused. Did that iron duke come from an 84 or 86? What about the harness, are you using the harness from the new engine or the old 84 iron duke?
NCTyphoonKid

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-28-2010 04:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NCTyphoonKidSend a Private Message to NCTyphoonKidEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I think he's using the 84 harness on the 86 motor correct me if I'm wrong Rick
Korey
PFF
System Bot
pontiackid86

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-28-2010 05:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pontiackid86Send a Private Message to pontiackid86Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by NCTyphoonKid:

I think he's using the 84 harness on the 86 motor correct me if I'm wrong Rick
Korey

This is correct.. Its a very wierd wire setup because the 84 is 2 sepret harnesses while the 86 is one complete harness. everything plugs in the same its just more time consuming...

Now i have some questions that i hope I can have covered in the tech/discussions/questions area. There are a few things that i might have to modify on the 84 harness to work with the 86 engine. Link will be put in in a few min.

Link to the small hangup i'm having
//www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/111799.html

[This message has been edited by pontiackid86 (edited 09-28-2010).]

pontiackid86

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-28-2010 05:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pontiackid86Send a Private Message to pontiackid86Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

pontiackid86

19632 posts
Member since Sep 2008

Originally posted by mattwa:

I'm confused. Did that iron duke come from an 84 or 86? What about the harness, are you using the harness from the new engine or the old 84 iron duke?

This duke came out of an 86... Its a really strong engine as well.
pontiackid86

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-29-2010 08:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pontiackid86Send a Private Message to pontiackid86Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just picked me up a set of 84 fleece and suade seats in damn near perfect condition. I'll post pics later on.
pontiackid86

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-01-2010 09:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pontiackid86Send a Private Message to pontiackid86Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
operation IMSA is finaly underway today i ran the fue lines installed the transmission and started on the axels. tomorrow is engine and everything else. Littiz it looking brighter for the IMSA as long as i dont have any snag ups.
winger1955

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-01-2010 09:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for winger1955Send a Private Message to winger1955Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
nice car there pk. best of luck getting it on the road again. wishing you the best. keep us posted ,ok!
pontiackid86

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-02-2010 10:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pontiackid86Send a Private Message to pontiackid86Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
This car is litterley killing me. I had to take the transmission back out. As some of you know my plan is to driop everything in through the top of the car. i removed the TB and intake manifold as well as the water pump and i now have to drop the thing in there with the transmission on it.. But after busted knuckels and a much stronger back and musscles aching like hell me being the almighty pontiackid i have devised a plan to do this,,, its pretty simple actuley. post up pics soon.

[This message has been edited by pontiackid86 (edited 10-02-2010).]

Hulki U. My-BFF

Feedback score:    (25)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 248
Rate this member

Report this Post10-03-2010 01:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Hulki U. My-BFFSend a Private Message to Hulki U. My-BFFEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Why in the hell didn't you just pull the cradle and do it like NORMAL Fiero owners, from the bottom??? You always have to be so different.
pontiackid86

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-03-2010 03:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for pontiackid86Send a Private Message to pontiackid86Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Hulki U. My-BFF:

Why in the hell didn't you just pull the cradle and do it like NORMAL Fiero owners, from the bottom??? You always have to be so different.

Its cuz i got skills... plus i finaly learned how to take off the imsa's rear bumper.
Macs86GT

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-03-2010 09:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Macs86GTSend a Private Message to Macs86GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
PK you just like doing things the hard way drop the dam cradle before you break something on the car.

[This message has been edited by Macs86GT (edited 10-03-2010).]

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 21 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20   21 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock