Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat
  Pontiackid86's 84 DGP IMSA Stage III build thread. (Page 5)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 21 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20   21 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
Pontiackid86's 84 DGP IMSA Stage III build thread. by pontiackid86
Started on: 08-06-2010 01:28 PM
Replies: 839 (30203 views)
Last post by: IMSA GT on 06-03-2021 07:59 PM
carbon

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 132
Rate this member

Report this Post08-15-2010 07:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for carbonSend a Private Message to carbonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
So much for the construction zone aspirations... [==============================================--]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]
IP: Logged
katatak

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 82
Rate this member

Report this Post08-15-2010 11:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for katatakSend a Private Message to katatakEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
There's an awful lot of "jaw jacking" going on in this thread and not much "building"!
17Car

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-16-2010 01:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 17CarSend a Private Message to 17CarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Don't worry, PK is just trying to figure out what he can make a thread about next.
pontiackid86

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 344
Rate this member

Report this Post08-16-2010 02:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for pontiackid86Send a Private Message to pontiackid86Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Nah theres just not a whole lot i can do until i get the 4.9 and its parts.
dobey

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 371
User Banned

Report this Post08-16-2010 09:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by chadwilkins:
good lord that is one girly ass eclipse next to you. gf's car?

Eclipse: Official car of Twilight fans everywhere.
pontiackid86

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-16-2010 12:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pontiackid86Send a Private Message to pontiackid86Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by dobey:

Eclipse: Official car of Twilight fans everywhere.

Not me i hate twilight...
Now come on people this is a thread about my IMSA not my ShEclipse

pontiackid86

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-18-2010 05:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pontiackid86Send a Private Message to pontiackid86Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Not much done on it lateley. got a few things done on it though

Found a nice trunk seal in the bone yard

And found a set of trunk vents until my delets come in

[This message has been edited by pontiackid86 (edited 08-18-2010).]

Hulki U. My-BFF

Feedback score:    (25)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 248
Rate this member

Report this Post08-18-2010 07:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Hulki U. My-BFFSend a Private Message to Hulki U. My-BFFEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Wish I would have known someone would need those delete grilles one day. I would have saved them for you. But I LOVE THIS CAR!
aaronkoch

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-18-2010 11:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for aaronkochSend a Private Message to aaronkochEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Wow, 5 pages and he's got a trunk seal in.

------------------

Currently in the middle of my 88 + 3800NA swap

pontiackid86

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-19-2010 12:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for pontiackid86Send a Private Message to pontiackid86Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by aaronkoch:

Wow, 5 pages and he's got a trunk seal in.

I'v done more than that on it.
aaronkoch

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-19-2010 01:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for aaronkochSend a Private Message to aaronkochEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
And, removed motor/trans. Hey, I'm just giving ya hell, I can't talk, mine doesn't run yet either.

------------------

Currently in the middle of my 88 + 3800NA swap

PFF
System Bot
pontiackid86

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-19-2010 01:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for pontiackid86Send a Private Message to pontiackid86Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by aaronkoch:

And, removed motor/trans. Hey, I'm just giving ya hell, I can't talk, mine doesn't run yet either.

lol i have a running one. you cant talk down to me now
Carcenomy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-19-2010 02:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CarcenomyClick Here to visit Carcenomy's HomePageSend a Private Message to CarcenomyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
PK, it needs an '84 decklid brother!

Have you mentioned what's going in to replace the Duke? If so I didn't catch it and you should enlighten me

------------------

pontiackid86

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-19-2010 02:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for pontiackid86Send a Private Message to pontiackid86Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Carcenomy:

PK, it needs an '84 decklid brother!

Have you mentioned what's going in to replace the Duke? If so I didn't catch it and you should enlighten me

84 decklid is in the works

As for the engine.. i'v been researching the 4.9. From what i have read its not going to be an easy task with the 1984 harness but i think i can tackel it.
Fierobruiser

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 57
Rate this member

Report this Post08-19-2010 02:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FierobruiserSend a Private Message to FierobruiserEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Don't know why you people pick on PK, he's a great guy. He's coming up about once a week to help me with my first fastback swap. I really have never liked the GT because IMHO I think it looks to 'fat' I guess. Not that I'd kick one out of bed, so to speak, but I've only ever had notchbacks. The rest of the summer I'll being doing 'my GT' the one that Pontiac never made. Probably won't get it painted until spring but we'll see.

Fastback clip to be removed from my 80k V6 automatic wreck that I paid $50 for. The engine will come out after the clip is transferred to my $600 180K 4cyl automatic.
Hood off, young friend PontiacKid with my car.
http://myfiero.com/uploads/23271_.jpg

Notchback clip removed
http://myfiero.com/uploads/23272_.jpg

Fastback clip basically installed. We’ll finish it next week after getting a few small needed parts
http://myfiero.com/uploads/23273_.jpg

This is the color it’ll be by next spring. The wheels will be either chromed plated or powder coated chrome and the interior will be a cool dark blue with everything out of a Cavalier SW. Don't worry, it'll look great and totally different. Everything will be done for less than $1K dollars plus the cost of the paint job. When I'm done it'll only be badged as a Pegasus and not Pontiac or Fiero, so people can guess what it is.
http://myfiero.com/uploads/23275_.jpg

Now Rick offered to help for free, but I'm giving him a 96k running 87 GOLD SE with about everything needed to refurbish it for his efforts in assisting me. Thanks again for the help PK.

------------------
Notchbacks RULE

"Let a man drive a Fiero and he'll own one.
Teach a man to fix a Fiero and he'll own eight....errr...nine."

[This message has been edited by Fierobruiser (edited 08-19-2010).]

Carcenomy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-19-2010 06:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CarcenomyClick Here to visit Carcenomy's HomePageSend a Private Message to CarcenomyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by pontiackid86:

84 decklid is in the works

As for the engine.. i'v been researching the 4.9. From what i have read its not going to be an easy task with the 1984 harness but i think i can tackel it.

The '84 harness isn't as scary as people talk about, you'll be fine. The 3800 swap I did on my '84 used the original harness, wasn't altogether that bad. Just matching wires to other wires at the end of the day

------------------

SNAPPY829

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-19-2010 08:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SNAPPY829Send a Private Message to SNAPPY829Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hey pk, maybe you can rent guru's wife for the weekend (wait a minute , that didnt come out right) she is the bomb with swap wiring!!
Back On Holiday

Feedback score:    (17)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 153
Rate this member

Report this Post08-19-2010 06:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Back On HolidaySend a Private Message to Back On HolidayEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by SNAPPY829:

Hey pk, maybe you can rent guru's wife for the weekend (wait a minute , that didnt come out right) she is the bomb with swap wiring!!

He wouldnt know what to do with a girl that hot, he'd prob ask her to show her middle finger and he would [IMG]
JIHP

[This message has been edited by Back On Holiday (edited 08-27-2010).]

pontiackid86

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-19-2010 07:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pontiackid86Send a Private Message to pontiackid86Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I went a lil deeper into the IMSA's wiring harness and i found a few more issues so. I went and pulled the whole harness out of it.
Hulki U. My-BFF

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-19-2010 08:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Hulki U. My-BFFSend a Private Message to Hulki U. My-BFFEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Quit taking so much of that car apart! I want it mostly intact when I buy it from you.
pontiackid86

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-20-2010 02:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for pontiackid86Send a Private Message to pontiackid86Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Hulki U. My-BFF:

Quit taking so much of that car apart! I want it mostly intact when I buy it from you.

lol as i said before... i bought my casket when i bought this car.

PFF
System Bot
pontiackid86

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-20-2010 10:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pontiackid86Send a Private Message to pontiackid86Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Dident do much on it today. I need to go to the junk yard and get a new OBD harness.
17Car

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-21-2010 02:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 17CarSend a Private Message to 17CarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

lol as i said before... i bought my casket when i bought this car.

Does this mean you're going to die working on the car? Dibbs on it after you are gone!

Edit because I seem to be cursed with PK's spelling today....

[This message has been edited by 17Car (edited 08-21-2010).]

pontiackid86

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-21-2010 05:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pontiackid86Send a Private Message to pontiackid86Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 17Car:

Does this mean you're going to die working on the car? Dibbs on it after you are gone!

Edit because I seem to be cursed with PK's spelling today....

Lol meaning if this car dosent kill me iom getting burried in it.

DIY_Stu

Feedback score:    (50)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 111
Rate this member

Report this Post08-21-2010 05:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DIY_StuClick Here to visit DIY_Stu's HomePageSend a Private Message to DIY_StuEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I went a lil deeper into the IMSA's wiring harness and i found a few more issues so. I went and pulled the whole harness out of it.

You know you're going to kill this car by digging into the wiring don't you. Plug N Play seems to baffle you.

[This message has been edited by DIY_Stu (edited 08-21-2010).]

pontiackid86

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-21-2010 05:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pontiackid86Send a Private Message to pontiackid86Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by DIY_Stu:

You know you're going to kill this car by digging into the wiring don't you. Plug N Play seems to baffle you.

Lol no im not. i havent cut anything i just removed the OBD/ECM and the engine harness... all stuff i can replace easley.
pontiackid86

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-21-2010 08:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pontiackid86Send a Private Message to pontiackid86Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

pontiackid86

19632 posts
Member since Sep 2008
I just got a PM from someone on here.. What do you all think of a 3.4 DOHC swap into the IMSA?
Back On Holiday

Feedback score:    (17)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 153
Rate this member

Report this Post08-21-2010 08:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Back On HolidaySend a Private Message to Back On HolidayEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I just got a PM from someone on here.. What do you all think of a 3.4 DOHC swap into the IMSA?

Good Idea, but wheres the cash coming from?
jetsnvettes2000

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-21-2010 08:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jetsnvettes2000Send a Private Message to jetsnvettes2000Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
hey if your lookin for a 84 decklid and the delete panels gibsons auto wrecking in neenah wisconsin has a few sets of them
pontiackid86

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-21-2010 08:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pontiackid86Send a Private Message to pontiackid86Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Back On Holiday:

Good Idea, but wheres the cash coming from?

Dont F^^^ING worry about it. its not comming out of your pocket or my dads....... Stop jumping on everything i say whit these childish remarks.
pontiackid86

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-21-2010 08:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pontiackid86Send a Private Message to pontiackid86Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

pontiackid86

19632 posts
Member since Sep 2008

Originally posted by jetsnvettes2000:

hey if your lookin for a 84 decklid and the delete panels gibsons auto wrecking in neenah wisconsin has a few sets of them

I just recentley picked up everything i need in the decklid department so i dont think i'll be needing it but ill keep that in mind if i screw up this decklid..
Thanks jet.

PFF
System Bot
litespd

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 176
Rate this member

Report this Post08-21-2010 11:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for litespdSend a Private Message to litespdEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Well on the date of 8/5//2010 I bought The_stickman2's 84 DGP IMSA. im very proud to own this car and i have no intention of changing anything about it except reparing and restoring what is needed on it.

RIck, I know you plan on putting an SD in it someday. But....your second quote is a complete 180 from your first quote. While I think a 3.4 DOHC swap is a great idea in a regular, run of the mill Fiero, the one you have has a bit of history behind it, as I understand it. If it were my car, as much as I'd be tempted to put a 4.9 or similar swap into it, I think I'd probably put a decent Duke into it, until I was ready to put the SD engine back into it. You're going to have to hack up the wiring for any swap you do....why not just do it once, instead of twice, once when you put in whatever you decide, and then again when you put in the SD? Plus, your costs putting a Duke into it are going to be a lot less than if you put something else into it....that's more money in your pocket toward that SD engine.

Just my opinion....remember, you asked what we thought....
pontiackid86

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-22-2010 05:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for pontiackid86Send a Private Message to pontiackid86Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by litespd:

RIck, I know you plan on putting an SD in it someday. But....your second quote is a complete 180 from your first quote. While I think a 3.4 DOHC swap is a great idea in a regular, run of the mill Fiero, the one you have has a bit of history behind it, as I understand it. If it were my car, as much as I'd be tempted to put a 4.9 or similar swap into it, I think I'd probably put a decent Duke into it, until I was ready to put the SD engine back into it. You're going to have to hack up the wiring for any swap you do....why not just do it once, instead of twice, once when you put in whatever you decide, and then again when you put in the SD? Plus, your costs putting a Duke into it are going to be a lot less than if you put something else into it....that's more money in your pocket toward that SD engine.

Just my opinion....remember, you asked what we thought....

I'v been toying around with this to.. Eventualy it will have another SD4 in it. i got some thinking to do because even if i do do a 4.9 or a 3.4 i can always go and get a sepred harness and OBD system and hold onto the original one. i dont intend to deflower the cars history it just for the years that i'll have it before ill have the money to put in another SD4 I want to have an engine in it that will complement the cars beauty. its like I said I have some thinking to do. I dont think i'll have to hack into the exsisting harness if i do it all by the book. its not like im doing a 3800SC swap or anything like that where theres almost no going back to its roots. but i'll figure it out.

One more question though. Isant the SD4 carbureted?

I may just end up duking it again i know where i can get a duke on the cradle running and driving pretty cheap.

[This message has been edited by pontiackid86 (edited 08-22-2010).]

Fierobruiser

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 57
Rate this member

Report this Post08-22-2010 12:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FierobruiserSend a Private Message to FierobruiserEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Unless you're doing a museum style repro of a Super Duty car I wouldn't waste my time or money on the project.You' d wind up with, after spending a ton of money, a fragile engine with minimal torque. To do justice to a car that looks as good as that and do it efficiently and relatively inexpensively, I would just do a 3800SC swap. More power than you'll ever get from an Duke SD and it won't blow up. Read any past archive attempt at a power build and all you find is failure. Race engines only have to last until the end of the race remember and be worn out when their done. New engine for next race and you're ready to go. Not what you want for the street. I'm sure if you gave the people who raced these in the '80's a choice, that's what they would have done, although the 3600SC would have been tweaked for another 200hp..

------------------
Notchbacks RULE

"Let a man drive a Fiero and he'll own one.
Teach a man to fix a Fiero and he'll own eight....errr...nine."

[This message has been edited by Fierobruiser (edited 08-22-2010).]

Arizona85GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-22-2010 06:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Arizona85GTSend a Private Message to Arizona85GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Fierobruiser:

Unless you're doing a museum style repro of a Super Duty car I wouldn't waste my time or money on the project.You' d wind up with, after spending a ton of money, a fragile engine with minimal torque. To do justice to a car that looks as good as that and do it efficiently and relatively inexpensively, I would just do a 3800SC swap. More power than you'll ever get from an Duke SD and it won't blow up. Read any past archive attempt at a power build and all you find is failure. Race engines only have to last until the end of the race remember and be worn out when their done. New engine for next race and you're ready to go. Not what you want for the street. I'm sure if you gave the people who raced these in the '80's a choice, that's what they would have done, although the 3600SC would have been tweaked for another 200hp..

PK,

I am with Bruiser on this one, and I believe you have the same feelings. The way that car looks screams for 3800SC or even a 4.9. A car that looks like that needs to have something that rumbles underneath the decklid.
Hulki U. My-BFF

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-22-2010 07:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Hulki U. My-BFFSend a Private Message to Hulki U. My-BFFEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
With the history behind the car, being a promotional vehicle for the Dole Super Duty, I would eventually have an SD back in the car. But, by all means, rock whatever you want in the car until the time comes that you are ready to do that. I'm looking forward to seeing this car in person.
Macs86GT

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-22-2010 07:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Macs86GTSend a Private Message to Macs86GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I thought the SD 4 was a rather tough and plucky engine. or are you talking about a duke built up SD 4 style or a franken duke SD.
17Car

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-22-2010 07:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 17CarSend a Private Message to 17CarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Northstar!
Northstar!
Northstar!
Better rob a few more banks.
Anyway I agree with the previous statements. Put whatever engine you want in it, but make sure you can return it to stock for an SD4 sometime in the future.
pontiackid86

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-23-2010 02:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for pontiackid86Send a Private Message to pontiackid86Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Fierobruiser:

Thats the other thing i was thinking. in looking into the SD4 its not a motor that is really a reliable motor. Its a race motor. basicley ment to be taken appart after each race and spruced up again for the next one.. i want somthing with power and reliability.

87antuzzi

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 228
Rate this member

Report this Post08-23-2010 02:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 87antuzziSend a Private Message to 87antuzziEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If its not running by the end of the month im going to come out and take it! (im ahella lot closer now)
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 21 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20   21 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock