Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat - Archive
  Fiero Lambo and Other Door Systems (Page 11)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 14 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14 
Previous Page | Next Page
Fiero Lambo and Other Door Systems by Xtreme-Doors
Started on: 02-06-2007 12:14 AM
Replies: 545
Last post by: AJ7 on 02-29-2008 12:08 AM
FieroGTguy

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 101
Rate this member

Report this Post07-15-2007 07:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroGTguyClick Here to visit FieroGTguy's HomePageSend a Private Message to FieroGTguyDirect Link to This Post
Hmm, I OWN page 11... I'd LIKE to OWN these hinges. When will they be 100% available within 100% payment, and shipped within 2 weeks with 100% certainty?

Greg

[This message has been edited by FieroGTguy (edited 07-15-2007).]

IP: Logged
fiero_silva

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 51
Rate this member

Report this Post07-15-2007 09:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fiero_silvaSend a Private Message to fiero_silvaDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by FieroGTguy:

Hmm, I OWN page 11... I'd LIKE to OWN these hinges. When will they be 100% available within 100% payment, and shipped within 2 weeks with 100% certainty?

Greg

Wondering the same thing.. Cash sitting here eating holes in my pocket...
Eclipse

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-16-2007 02:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for EclipseSend a Private Message to EclipseDirect Link to This Post
I know they are busy preparing to move to a new shop, and they were out of town for the weekend. Chris mentioned the production kits are now being made, and he should have parts coming in this week. I'll let him speak further to that.
Keep leaving him Pm's and I am sure he'll get to them. I'll get in touch with him tomorrow and remind him to get back to you folks.

Meanwhile, I was able to get some good pics today...

You can see here where teh fender needs trimming...

------------------
Jay Brintnell
Southern Ontario Fiero Association
Yellow 85 Notchback(A.K.A. GodFearN)

The progress thread: https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/077740.html

[This message has been edited by Eclipse (edited 07-16-2007).]

madcurl

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 314
Rate this member

Report this Post07-16-2007 02:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlDirect Link to This Post
Nice wings, Eclipse.
Eclipse

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-16-2007 03:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for EclipseSend a Private Message to EclipseDirect Link to This Post
Thank you Madcurl! Your car has always been an inspiration!

------------------
Jay Brintnell

MX3GUY

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-16-2007 10:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MX3GUYSend a Private Message to MX3GUYDirect Link to This Post
Looks good!
madcurl

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 314
Rate this member

Report this Post07-16-2007 01:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlDirect Link to This Post
Hey Eclipse, do you have any measurements while the door down, but fully opened? XX-Large people would like to know, hehe.
Sourmug

Feedback score:    (29)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 144
Rate this member

Report this Post07-16-2007 02:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SourmugSend a Private Message to SourmugDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by madcurl:

Hey Eclipse, do you have any measurements while the door down, but fully opened? XX-Large people would like to know, hehe.

I resemble that remark too! That would be a good piece of information to know.

Nolan
PontiacJ829

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-16-2007 11:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PontiacJ829Click Here to visit PontiacJ829's HomePageSend a Private Message to PontiacJ829Direct Link to This Post
Cool, Could you get some side shots with the door closed?
Eclipse

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-16-2007 11:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for EclipseSend a Private Message to EclipseDirect Link to This Post
Sorry guys. I was dealing with a sick little fellow tonight and was not able to get out to the car. Tomorrow it will be, and yes, I will take some side shots.

------------------
Jay Brintnell

fiero_silva

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-17-2007 12:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fiero_silvaSend a Private Message to fiero_silvaDirect Link to This Post
Can you grab a pic for me of the clearance between the door panel and the top corner of the fender with the door open and up?

Thanks.
PFF
System Bot
Cajun

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-17-2007 08:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CajunSend a Private Message to CajunDirect Link to This Post

Eclipse,

Great photos and thank you for sharing. A quick question about the amount of trimming needs to be removed for the hinge install. Any idea how much finder area needs to be removed for a proper fit? Could you provide additional photos (close ups) of the trim area?

Again thanks for sharing with the group. Great job.

Mike
fiero_silva

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-17-2007 07:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fiero_silvaSend a Private Message to fiero_silvaDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Cajun:

Eclipse,

Great photos and thank you for sharing. A quick question about the amount of trimming needs to be removed for the hinge install. Any idea how much finder area needs to be removed for a proper fit? Could you provide additional photos (close ups) of the trim area?

Again thanks for sharing with the group. Great job.

Mike

Look in that pic. At the fender inner lip that runs somewhat verticle.. That is what needs to be cut to clear the hinge as it opens holizontally.
DrCPU

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-17-2007 09:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DrCPUSend a Private Message to DrCPUDirect Link to This Post
I haven't forgotten everyone. Thanks for the pics Eclipse! I've held off because Chris needs to make further adjustments to my set-up.

I'm heading to Chris's shop this Friday for them to do some fiddling with the fit. The passenger door is pretty close to the best they can get without further minor mods to the design. It opens and closes well - just needs beefier door gasket at front bottom as I've got a 3mm gap to close up. My driver door needs quite a bit more work. The window needs some adjustment (driver side only) as it is interfering with the lock mechanism. Probably just something small to adjust. I expect I'll be pretty happy by then end of the day on Friday.

I will give extra feedback to Chris after he's done.

Eclipse - mine are the 90 degree doors - the ones you have are 70's. It's actually easier to get in and out of the Chop with the vertical doors. If you're a BFG - read big fat guy - you can just roll in and roll out! opening and closing the doors is very easy from the inside as well.
JimmyS

Feedback score:    (31)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 124
Rate this member

Report this Post07-18-2007 12:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JimmySClick Here to visit JimmyS's HomePageSend a Private Message to JimmySDirect Link to This Post
Well it would appear to me that this is not a straight forward bolt on kit. Fender timming + trimming the black trim piece on the fender is something that I'm not willing to do.
I applaud the effort put forth by Extremedoors but i'm going to hold off on buying these for right now.
dcfox

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-18-2007 12:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for dcfoxSend a Private Message to dcfoxDirect Link to This Post
The fender trimming doesn't bother me as much as trimming the molding does.
I notice that Eclipse's car is missing the molding in the pics.
Any pics of the trimmed piece of molding...INSTALLED?
AJ7

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 69
Rate this member

Report this Post07-18-2007 01:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AJ7Send a Private Message to AJ7Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by JimmyS:

Well it would appear to me that this is not a straight forward bolt on kit. Fender timming + trimming the black trim piece on the fender is something that I'm not willing to do.
I applaud the effort put forth by Extremedoors but i'm going to hold off on buying these for right now.

good luck getting a lambo kit that works the way you want then. that is how every kit I've seen works.. you have to trim the inner fender lip on most cars to clear the hinge when it opens..
jscott1

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 415
Rate this member

Report this Post07-18-2007 02:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by AJ7:

good luck getting a lambo kit that works the way you want then. that is how every kit I've seen works.. you have to trim the inner fender lip on most cars to clear the hinge when it opens..

I agree. The amount of timming is small and the way the hinge works it's necessary.
DrCPU

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-18-2007 07:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DrCPUSend a Private Message to DrCPUDirect Link to This Post
The fender trim is insignificant - and I don't see how it is a problem. The moulding trim is not insignificant and I'm afraid there are no ways around the moulding trim with the current design (that's my opinion). Some plastic surgery on the moulding will happen over the winter when I've got time on my hands. Until then it's acceptable to me. I used an orbital sander and took off the entire "tooth" of material that protudes towards the back. I also had to sand down the angle about 45 degree forward from the original aft angle. Some fine sanding - then clear paint and it looks pretty good. It could look better - but not bad for a quick fix.

I don't normally jump into these types of mods. I think it fair to state that the kit is direct bolt on - no question about it. The design could use some refinements in pivot point location (bring it back say 5mm, and then bring the door mount forward about 7mm - yes that's a 2mm net forward gain). This would accomplish two things - remove the moulding trim problem and have the door fit the original seals more exactly. Please understand I'm not an engineer - so I might be full of it.

For all the guys on this forum that do "magic" with their own cars then installing them yourself is probably nothing. You'd probably be able to "modify" the current hinges to be a perfect fit. For guys like me, I'd be cursing the day I chose to do this if I had to install them myself.

I want to be fair to Chris and his brother. So if you give me time - say another week or two then I'll be set in my mind where I stand. You should also remind yourselves that the Floridian VDC was by no means a slam dunk for Curley. No idea as to fitment of doors or other issues. Maybe Curley can post his feedback in his thread.

If anyone has specific questions for me please use my personal email in the PFF forum - and not this thread.
Eclipse

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-18-2007 11:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for EclipseSend a Private Message to EclipseDirect Link to This Post
As for the moulding missing on my car, remember I stated that I have the prototype set, and there were some very minor alignment problems. They are planning on swapping my hinges for a production set, which does not have these problems. I was not planning on putting the trim back until I get the new hinges to see if I can avoid trimming. Either way, the change is very minor. If you are venturing far enogh away from "Stock Fiero" to go to Lambo doors, trimming a piece of moulding shouldn't be a big deal.

I am quite happy with the work they have been doing.

------------------
Jay Brintnell

fierogtrouge

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-18-2007 04:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierogtrougeSend a Private Message to fierogtrougeDirect Link to This Post
Dam!!!!!!!!!!!!!1 I will not be the only one in Canada to have LamboDoor!!!...joke
Nice car Eclips by the way....!

[This message has been edited by fierogtrouge (edited 07-18-2007).]

PFF
System Bot
DrCPU

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-18-2007 10:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DrCPUSend a Private Message to DrCPUDirect Link to This Post
Well said Eclipse.

I'm sure once I have the refined set-up taken care of on Friday that I'll be completely satisfied as well. Considering the price and that it's a Canadian company makes it that much easier for me. I'm lucky I'm also only about an hour and a half from their shop.

I guess I've done so much to my car that it's a little too late to thinking about keeping it stock or being a purist on a little modification to the trim. A purist Fiero owner would likely think what I've done to my car - overall - is sacriledge - but I love this little car! Oh yeah - all the wimin lookin at me doesn't hurt either.

I know they are looking at the car - but ass long as I'm in denial I might as well be enjoying it!! You should see the eyes put and fingers point when I open the door to get out or get in - priceless!
fiero_silva

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-18-2007 10:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fiero_silvaSend a Private Message to fiero_silvaDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by JimmyS:

We've done probably 20 lambo door kits at my shop from Lincon Navigator's to 3 series BMWs to 300c.... Every single kit we have done has required that inner fender lip to be cut to clear the hinge when it swings out and up....
Eclipse

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-19-2007 12:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for EclipseSend a Private Message to EclipseDirect Link to This Post
FieroSilva, that makes sense. How's life in Winnipeg? Don't know if I'll get out that way again any time soon :{

------------------
Jay Brintnell

DrCPU

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-22-2007 04:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DrCPUSend a Private Message to DrCPUDirect Link to This Post
Just to let you guys know - I posted my pics and write up in my thread.

https://www.fiero.nl/forum/F...9675-7.html#lastpost

Chris and his brother fixed most of the small fit problems (driver door lock issue) on Friday.

In short, I'm very happy with the product and install. It's not 100% perfect - but it's 99.99% anyway.

Chris and his brother are moving their shop at the end of July. I don't blame then - with the break-in and then someone stabbing at least one of my trailer tires while it was parked outside their shop for a week.

Dave

[This message has been edited by DrCPU (edited 07-22-2007).]

iwantarotaryfiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-22-2007 05:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for iwantarotaryfieroSend a Private Message to iwantarotaryfieroDirect Link to This Post
Is there a mecho-dehydral sinco door kit (the one on the koenigsegg car) that can be purchased to be put on the fiero?
dcfox

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-22-2007 07:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dcfoxSend a Private Message to dcfoxDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by iwantarotaryfiero:

Is there a mecho-dehydral sinco door kit (the one on the koenigsegg car) that can be purchased to be put on the fiero?

Uh...no.
And truthfully...if there was...it would probably cost more than most of our cars are worth.lol.
jscott1

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 415
Rate this member

Report this Post07-22-2007 10:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Direct Link to This Post
When is this kit going to be available?

the fender trimming is a non-issue. All VDCs work pretty much the same way and they all require some trimming.
MX3GUY

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-24-2007 11:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MX3GUYSend a Private Message to MX3GUYDirect Link to This Post
Anyone have an actual phone contact for Xtreme?
MX3GUY

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-25-2007 08:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MX3GUYSend a Private Message to MX3GUYDirect Link to This Post

[This message has been edited by MX3GUY (edited 07-27-2007).]

Silentassassin185

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 93
Rate this member

Report this Post07-27-2007 11:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Silentassassin185Send a Private Message to Silentassassin185Direct Link to This Post
Anything new on this?
PFF
System Bot
Eclipse

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-28-2007 02:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for EclipseSend a Private Message to EclipseDirect Link to This Post
I wish. I am waiting to resolve a few things, and they don't seem to be calling me back. It's too bad, things were going so well, and now nothing. I don't know what to tell you guys. I'd like to do a good writeup, but they're making it kind of hard.

------------------
Jay Brintnell

MidEngineManiac

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 297
User Banned

Report this Post07-28-2007 01:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MidEngineManiacSend a Private Message to MidEngineManiacDirect Link to This Post
Oh, man that sucks

Bring it down here, and Colin at fastlane has a full 3-axis mill. He also is a little slow, but very reliable. We can probably talk him into elongating those holes so the doors line up properly.
Eclipse

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-30-2007 10:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for EclipseSend a Private Message to EclipseDirect Link to This Post
Not that easy. The problem is that the doors stick out too far from the side of the car, and they still contact the trim. It's the angle of the hinge that needs to change, and this has (supposedly) been corrected on the production set. I can't say for sure until I see/receive them. August 12th is coming which is the date for our show, and I need to have something working for that.

As it stands I also have a weak strut on my drivers door and it doesn't stay up. That was too be replaced also.

Chris, of you read this, please call me. I know you have my numbers.

------------------
Jay Brintnell

Sourmug

Feedback score:    (29)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 144
Rate this member

Report this Post07-30-2007 10:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SourmugSend a Private Message to SourmugDirect Link to This Post
Well, I must say that I'm disappointed but not surprised. After reading the ordeal that the MX3 guys are going through I had my doubts, but the lack of communication in this thread confirmed it. I won't be participating in this buy and I hope you all take time to think about this before you send them any money. I know that they are moving to another shop (again) but honestly it takes a few seconds to post some information and keep everyone informed. I wish you luck if you buy from them, I think you'll need it.

Nolan
dcfox

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-30-2007 10:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dcfoxSend a Private Message to dcfoxDirect Link to This Post
So close...yet still not quite there.
I'm sure glad I don't have the money for a VDS burning a hole in my pocket just yet.
CenTexIndy

Feedback score:    (32)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 59
Rate this member

Report this Post07-31-2007 09:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CenTexIndySend a Private Message to CenTexIndyDirect Link to This Post
VERY dissapointing. My son has been working this summer to save up for the hinges....really had his hopes up.

Are there any other good ones out there that he should start looking at?
LeviM

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-09-2007 02:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LeviMSend a Private Message to LeviMDirect Link to This Post
anything new on this?
MidEngineManiac

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 297
User Banned

Report this Post08-09-2007 02:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MidEngineManiacSend a Private Message to MidEngineManiacDirect Link to This Post
We are also in the middle of moving shop, from St. Thomas to London.

Guess what. Very 1st thing that happened was phone went into the new place.

Service calls come 1st, then moving stuff, then getting the shop set up, and last the office.

If you dont look after the customers, they wont be customers for long, and without them there isnt much point in having a shop or office.
Eclipse

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-09-2007 04:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for EclipseSend a Private Message to EclipseDirect Link to This Post
Nothing new. My car still sits. My phone is still quiet. I'll be posting my review tonight.

------------------
Jay Brintnell

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 14 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock