Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions - Archive
  FIFI's Progress (Page 9)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 22 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20   21   22 
Previous Page | Next Page
FIFI's Progress by 86FIFI
Started on: 08-31-2010 11:27 PM
Replies: 878
Last post by: 86FIFI on 02-27-2012 06:53 AM
phonedawgz

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 290
Rate this member

Report this Post11-05-2010 11:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for phonedawgzClick Here to visit phonedawgz's HomePageSend a Private Message to phonedawgzDirect Link to This Post
Steam coming from the defroster vents means your heater core is wet which means it's leaking. But I know you know that already. It's just a confirmation of your origional diagonosis.
IP: Logged
fierofool

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post11-05-2010 11:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolDirect Link to This Post
The reason I said get a core for an AC equipped car is because I'm told that the AC and non-AC equipped heater cores are different. The parts store should ask that question. Of course, they'll ask you if it's an automatic or manual, too, even if you're just getting a tail light bulb.
86FIFI

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-07-2010 06:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 86FIFISend a Private Message to 86FIFIDirect Link to This Post
Got the heater core removed this afternoon, well for the most part, couldn't get one of the hoses loose. I will post a pic of what it looked like later. So replacing the core will stop the water from coming out? The casing around the core was full of water once I got the case open all of it came out. How do you know if the core is bad? I just hate to buy one, and it not fix my problem. You know?
86FIFI

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-07-2010 06:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 86FIFISend a Private Message to 86FIFIDirect Link to This Post

86FIFI

749 posts
Member since Aug 2010
Here is what the core looks like. 300zxmaster told me its probably bad. Looks like it was rusted on the inside. I will get one ordered tonight. About the only thing holding me back from driving her long distances.
86FIFI

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-07-2010 06:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 86FIFISend a Private Message to 86FIFIDirect Link to This Post

86FIFI

749 posts
Member since Aug 2010
Guess I should post the pic, here it is...

86FIFI

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-07-2010 06:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 86FIFISend a Private Message to 86FIFIDirect Link to This Post

86FIFI

749 posts
Member since Aug 2010
Got it ordered from parts store, should be in Tuesday for $42.99. Seems like around that price everywhere I see. And this doesnt require shipping,
phonedawgz

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-07-2010 07:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for phonedawgzClick Here to visit phonedawgz's HomePageSend a Private Message to phonedawgzDirect Link to This Post
Your heater core gets as hot as your radiator. There is no way it would be wet unless it is leaking.
86FIFI

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-07-2010 08:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 86FIFISend a Private Message to 86FIFIDirect Link to This Post
well there was water in the casing that surrounds the core, and havent driven the car since the last bit of water poured out. So that could be why its wet too.
phonedawgz

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-07-2010 08:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for phonedawgzClick Here to visit phonedawgz's HomePageSend a Private Message to phonedawgzDirect Link to This Post
Cores tend to go bad by age. It is not at all surprising that yours leaked.
86FIFI

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-07-2010 08:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 86FIFISend a Private Message to 86FIFIDirect Link to This Post
Haha, that was not a leak, that was a dang faucet turning on!!! So could that be the reason all the water came out of the hole under the front of the car? Is that a drain hole of some sort? It was towards the passener side under where the A/C condenser is. There were 2 hoses going up into the boot right next to it. Doesn't look like anything is supposed to be connected there.
phonedawgz

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-07-2010 08:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for phonedawgzClick Here to visit phonedawgz's HomePageSend a Private Message to phonedawgzDirect Link to This Post
When the AC runs and is cooling outside air, the cooler air can not hold as much water as hot air. The water condenses out on the AC coils. That water needs to be drained out and that is the function of those tubes. You have seen water under cars with the AC running before I am sure. All cars have them. Same with whole house AC units.

A big part of what makes AC air more comfortable is the removal of that moisture. So in your Fiero, as in many other cars, when you turn the heat lever up some with the AC on, it then WARMS the air by running it through the heater core. The resulting air has had the moisture removed and is quite comfortable.

When you run the defrosters on an AC car it also runs the AC compressor to dry the air before blowing it on the inside of the windshield.

[This message has been edited by phonedawgz (edited 11-07-2010).]

PFF
System Bot
86FIFI

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-07-2010 09:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 86FIFISend a Private Message to 86FIFIDirect Link to This Post
Ok, I know exactly what your saying, and that could have something to do with my situation, but what happens with my car is not dripping!! About the same time water pours on the passengers feet, water POURS underneath the car, and I have to put more water in the car at the motor. When the car sits and runs, no water comes out the hole, but as soon as its warm and in gear water just piyrs out of it. I suppose it has something to do with heater core flooding and running out the bottom of the car as well as in the passenger area of the car.
fierofool

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-07-2010 10:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolDirect Link to This Post
That same drain tube that drains the AC condensate will drain the leakage from your heater core, too. Problem is that it's not designed to drain a lot of water at one time, so if the heater core leak is severe, it overflows into the passenger compartment. The drain hole for the heater/ac core box is somewhat difficult to find when looking up underneath the car. I believe the 2 hoses you're seeing are the bottom ends of the 2 that attach to the back of the heater core.
86FIFI

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-07-2010 10:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 86FIFISend a Private Message to 86FIFIDirect Link to This Post
Also, as previously stated my A/C compressor is not in the car, and the air never worked so the condensor getting condensation on it and dripping to the ground will never happen in my case. So if I ever have a leak under my car it is most likely not a good thing at all!
86FIFI

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-07-2010 10:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 86FIFISend a Private Message to 86FIFIDirect Link to This Post

86FIFI

749 posts
Member since Aug 2010
Thank you fierofool for the clarification! That seems to be exactly my problem!! And after thinking about how the hoses were run on the car that seems like it would be the hoses running out of the heater core, then under the car, with a drainage tube right next to them. Good News, so changing the heater core will fix all my coolant and water leaking out of the car. Then I can actually doing a flush and the flush liquid will actually circulate through the hoses. I am thinking about buying the fastback conversion for sale in the mall by the guy from Athens "psychosurfer". What all do I need to make sure I get? And how difficult is this conversion. Doesnt seem too terribly difficult mostly bolt on from what I have seen. Here is what I have found to need...the clip, decklid, grills, taillights, fascia, trunk gasket, trunk covers, window trim, and wiring harness. Anything left out? and is $300 a good price? He would be meeting me off the interstate near Statesboro I assume. So not much traveling on my part.
Tha Driver

Feedback score:    (46)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 204
Rate this member

Report this Post11-08-2010 02:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Tha DriverClick Here to visit Tha Driver's HomePageSend a Private Message to Tha DriverDirect Link to This Post
There are a total of 15 parts involved in the swap, but 2 of them are not *needed* - the drip rails. There are the two brackets that the engine vents bolt to (that bolt to the shock towers), & I think the other parts you left out is the sail windows. BTW; I make sail louvers to replace the windows that you can still see out of...
HTH,
EDIT: The 15 did not include the rear fascia. psychosurfer is a great guy, & I think $300 is a good price.
OK it's more than 15 parts total...
~ Paul
aka "Tha Driver"

[This message has been edited by Tha Driver (edited 11-08-2010).]

86FIFI

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-08-2010 07:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 86FIFISend a Private Message to 86FIFIDirect Link to This Post
What do the sail louvers look like that you make? I already have 2 things on my list I want from you, might add another.
fierofool

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-08-2010 07:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolDirect Link to This Post
There are 2 other items I didn't see mentioned. The trim pieces that go inside the flying butresses and the "D" panels that go inside the trunk area.
86FIFI

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-08-2010 09:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 86FIFISend a Private Message to 86FIFIDirect Link to This Post
Haha, a lot to look for. Just trying to make sure I get everything. I'd hate to get a partial fastback conversion parts and have to spend the money I'm saving on getting it from him on the parts that were left out.
Tha Driver

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-08-2010 01:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Tha DriverClick Here to visit Tha Driver's HomePageSend a Private Message to Tha DriverDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fierofool:

There are 2 other items I didn't see mentioned. The trim pieces that go inside the flying butresses and the "D" panels that go inside the trunk area.

Charlie I think those are covered with "window trim" & "trunk covers".
Tha Driver

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-08-2010 01:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Tha DriverClick Here to visit Tha Driver's HomePageSend a Private Message to Tha DriverDirect Link to This Post

Tha Driver

4559 posts
Member since Sep 2006

Originally posted by 86FIFI:

What do the sail louvers look like that you make? I already have 2 things on my list I want from you, might add another.

Yeah I took photos of the aftermarket wing, but haven't taken the time to upload & send them to you.
You can see the sail louvers in this thread: https://www.fiero.nl/forum/A...070315-1-061103.html
They're on the black & primer car starting about halfway down the page.
~ Paul
aka "Tha Driver"
PFF
System Bot
Tha Driver

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-08-2010 01:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Tha DriverClick Here to visit Tha Driver's HomePageSend a Private Message to Tha DriverDirect Link to This Post

Haha, a lot to look for. Just trying to make sure I get everything. I'd hate to get a partial fastback conversion parts and have to spend the money I'm saving on getting it from him on the parts that were left out.

We can always make the brackets for the engine vents, if we have to. I think there are 2 other little brackets that the clip bolts to, but I can't remember exactly.
I'd jump on that offer even with a few parts missing. With the taillights, it's a steal. If you don't buy it let me know, & I'll try to swap some parts or labor for them (or pay cash if he still has them when I get paid).
~ Paul
aka "Tha Driver"
86FIFI

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-08-2010 05:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 86FIFISend a Private Message to 86FIFIDirect Link to This Post
Hell, since you want it, I will buy it, and if I decide not to do it, I can swap you for something. I like the corvette look. Wish I was capable of doing some of this stuff. Ha.
Tha Driver

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-08-2010 09:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Tha DriverClick Here to visit Tha Driver's HomePageSend a Private Message to Tha DriverDirect Link to This Post

Hell, since you want it, I will buy it, and if I decide not to do it, I can swap you for something. I like the corvette look. Wish I was capable of doing some of this stuff. Ha.

I can do that. I'm *supposed* to ge getting another Fiero (After all; I only have eight projects I need more! ) that I'd love to swap into a fastback, & will trade labor or parts for it. But if you like the fastback, I'd rather see it on your car & I'll look for another when the time comes. Either way is fine with me. At that price buy it.
~ Paul
aka "Tha Driver"
86FIFI

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-08-2010 09:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 86FIFISend a Private Message to 86FIFIDirect Link to This Post
I will get it, and would love it on my car. So here is what he listed. Anything missing I need to ask about?

Here is a list of all the goodies:
Clip, tail-light wiring harness, drip rails (not perfect), inner window trim, decklid, engine vents, brackets for towers, taillights (have typical de-lamination), one sail panel (rough shape), taillight screws, caps for trunk (D-shaped parts), weatherstripping (ROUGH shaper), gas door.
Tha Driver

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-08-2010 11:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Tha DriverClick Here to visit Tha Driver's HomePageSend a Private Message to Tha DriverDirect Link to This Post
Like I said, there are two little brackets that go under the clip near the back of the sail panels - IIRC. Might ask him to check for those. I assume he's pulling all of this off a car (or he may have already done so & the car is gone).
phonedawgz

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-09-2010 12:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for phonedawgzClick Here to visit phonedawgz's HomePageSend a Private Message to phonedawgzDirect Link to This Post
86FIFI

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-09-2010 09:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 86FIFISend a Private Message to 86FIFIDirect Link to This Post
Oh yea, I asked him if he had those. I'll be needing some paint after I do the swap.
86FIFI

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-09-2010 09:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 86FIFISend a Private Message to 86FIFIDirect Link to This Post

86FIFI

749 posts
Member since Aug 2010
Got the heater core put in this afternoon. I will see if It holds the coolant now. I am in good shape now. Have to adjust shifter cables, and get my calipers and rotors in, and I should be driving her everywhere!!
fierofool

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-09-2010 11:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolDirect Link to This Post
If you get it road tested and determine it's dependable, maybe a trip to the meeting this Saturday? If you're unsure, get 300ZXMaster to follow along for backup?
phonedawgz

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-09-2010 11:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for phonedawgzClick Here to visit phonedawgz's HomePageSend a Private Message to phonedawgzDirect Link to This Post
f yeah
PFF
System Bot
86FIFI

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-10-2010 07:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 86FIFISend a Private Message to 86FIFIDirect Link to This Post
Would be nice, but before I can go on a long trip I have to buy new tires. I am waitin on mine to blow any second. They are dry rotted real bad. I will probably stop putin money into the car until after christmas. Have to be nice and think about others a little bit, so exhaust, tires, and truelelo will have to wait.
phonedawgz

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-10-2010 08:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for phonedawgzClick Here to visit phonedawgz's HomePageSend a Private Message to phonedawgzDirect Link to This Post
Maybe you should update YOUR Christmas wish list.

[This message has been edited by phonedawgz (edited 11-10-2010).]

86FIFI

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-10-2010 11:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 86FIFISend a Private Message to 86FIFIDirect Link to This Post
Would be nice! I'd like my fiero to be pretty quick in the long run. I will probably go the turbo 3.4 route depending on the circumstances when I am ready to do it.
86FIFI

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-10-2010 06:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 86FIFISend a Private Message to 86FIFIDirect Link to This Post

86FIFI

749 posts
Member since Aug 2010
Adjusted timing with the timing light, and the car seems to run good. Got a code 24 which has to do with the speed sensor. My odometer, and speed o meter haven't worked since I have had the car, but the code just came on. I also changed the air temperature sensor this afternoon.
phonedawgz

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-10-2010 06:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for phonedawgzClick Here to visit phonedawgz's HomePageSend a Private Message to phonedawgzDirect Link to This Post
You didn't drive it long enough before to overcome the threshold of the VSS not working.

So take out the VSS (On the tranny, two wire connector, not the Blue/Green one) Its a bit lower by the axle. It's held down by something that looks like a distributor hold down clamp. Take the bolt and little hold down thingy all the way off. Then when you pull up the VSS be careful you don't drop the plastic gear off of it and down into the tranny. Once out, with it plugged in spin the VSS (key on engine off) and see if the speedo responds. With no VSS input you will have problems with the engine stalling when you stop for a red light.
86FIFI

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-10-2010 07:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 86FIFISend a Private Message to 86FIFIDirect Link to This Post
Pulled the speed sensor, and spun it and got a reading on the speed o meter and traveled a tenth of a mile. There was no plastic gear, so I ordered another speed sensor. Also when we were reading the code while the jumper was in the diagnostic connector the IAC was going crazy and clicking. But when the jumper wire was removed it stopped.

Also, when checking the TPS, I got a reading of .8-3.45 (closed throttle-WOT)
phonedawgz

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-10-2010 07:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for phonedawgzClick Here to visit phonedawgz's HomePageSend a Private Message to phonedawgzDirect Link to This Post
IAC is supposed to do that with A-B shorted.
86FIFI

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-10-2010 07:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 86FIFISend a Private Message to 86FIFIDirect Link to This Post
Ok, good to know. Also the MAP reads 4.8 engine off, and 1.5 at 1500 rpm.
86FIFI

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-10-2010 08:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 86FIFISend a Private Message to 86FIFIDirect Link to This Post

86FIFI

749 posts
Member since Aug 2010
Ok, so when I try and bleed the rear calipers, no fluid comes through the line and air is forced in the master cylinder. What's the deal?
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 22 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20   21   22 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock