Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions - Archive
  FIFI's Progress (Page 6)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 22 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20   21   22 
Previous Page | Next Page
FIFI's Progress by 86FIFI
Started on: 08-31-2010 11:27 PM
Replies: 878
Last post by: 86FIFI on 02-27-2012 06:53 AM
86FIFI

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-06-2010 09:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 86FIFISend a Private Message to 86FIFIDirect Link to This Post
So say I go to take the exhaust manifold off and i break a bolt. Why cant I extract it, and just put another one in? Or just go ahead and order a set of studs and do what I have to do to get the others out port it and use the new studs and put it back on.
IP: Logged
86FIFI

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-06-2010 10:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 86FIFISend a Private Message to 86FIFIDirect Link to This Post

86FIFI

749 posts
Member since Aug 2010
Ok, so why cant I order another set of studs, and if these break I can drill them out and replace them all with the new ones?

Also, could I do true duals to get rid of the restrictive Y, or possibly the two pipes into an x pipe? Or with the car being naturally aspirated, should I stick with the Y or is there even room to do true duals?
phonedawgz

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 290
Rate this member

Report this Post10-06-2010 10:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for phonedawgzClick Here to visit phonedawgz's HomePageSend a Private Message to phonedawgzDirect Link to This Post
If you can get them out. Break them off flush or less and you can have a real b**** getting whats left out. Best is to get them to come out without breaking.

There was a post a while back of someone useing stock GM exhaust manifold studs. Not sure what engine they were for. The bolts are standard metric threads.
86FIFI

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-06-2010 10:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 86FIFISend a Private Message to 86FIFIDirect Link to This Post
So could I get a stud out in 1 solid piece, and take it to my local Fastenal which is a nut and bolt place around here and get the same length and thread bolt?
fierofool

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post10-07-2010 01:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolDirect Link to This Post
There is a thread on this forum about using the Saturn manifold studs. Do a search using keywords like Saturn, manifold, exhaust, studs, .
Tha Driver

Feedback score:    (46)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 204
Rate this member

Report this Post10-07-2010 03:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Tha DriverClick Here to visit Tha Driver's HomePageSend a Private Message to Tha DriverDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 86FIFI:

So could I get a stud out in 1 solid piece, and take it to my local Fastenal which is a nut and bolt place around here and get the same length and thread bolt?

Oh God be careful about buying from Fastenal. I bought some stainless blots with ny-lock nuts & they froze on the bolts BEFORE they even tightened down!. Had to break them with a pull handle to get them off. Probably made in china. I'll get my bolts from the hardware store from now on.
Sending you a PM...
Later,
~ Paul
aka "Tha Driver"
86FIFI

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-07-2010 09:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 86FIFISend a Private Message to 86FIFIDirect Link to This Post
Ok, I will keep that in mind when buying the nuts and bolts. Also I will look for the thread about the studs. I ordered the clutch kit today, let's hope everything is correct and I have the get the flywheel resurfaced soon, I am eager to get the car on the road! But want to do everything right while the motor is out.
phonedawgz

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-07-2010 10:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for phonedawgzClick Here to visit phonedawgz's HomePageSend a Private Message to phonedawgzDirect Link to This Post
8mm x 1.25 pitch thread. 25mm long if you go with bolts. 40 if you go with studs.
86FIFI

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-08-2010 09:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 86FIFISend a Private Message to 86FIFIDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by phonedawgz:

8mm x 1.25 pitch thread. 25mm long if you go with bolts. 40 if you go with studs.

Is this for the headers, or the bolts we cut off at the Y-pipe? and thanks for the exact dimensions btw.
phonedawgz

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-08-2010 09:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for phonedawgzClick Here to visit phonedawgz's HomePageSend a Private Message to phonedawgzDirect Link to This Post
Head to Headers.

You can bring the piece of bolt you have left for the Y pipe bolt.

It might be easier to just knock off the welded on nut on the Y pipe and just replace the bolt AND nut. I have a wire feed so I would prob knock the welded nut off and weld a new one on if the bolt was stuck in beyond what a torch would take out. You can also double nut the Y pipe to header bolts to make sure they dont come loose
86FIFI

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-09-2010 01:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 86FIFISend a Private Message to 86FIFIDirect Link to This Post
Yea, I heated them a lot, and got the nut seperated on them. Still haven't bought a welder, but plan too very soon.
PFF
System Bot
86FIFI

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-11-2010 07:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 86FIFISend a Private Message to 86FIFIDirect Link to This Post
Got the heat extraction tubes, some heat shields, and part of the transmission casing painted today, and dropped my flywheel off to be resurfaced. Waiting on the clutch fork to come in, and then reinstalling the engine shall begin.
86FIFI

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-11-2010 10:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 86FIFISend a Private Message to 86FIFIDirect Link to This Post

86FIFI

749 posts
Member since Aug 2010
Also, I was thinking about getting the engine strut rebuild kit for the stock dogbone, rather than buying another dog bone. Have you guys tried this or know anyone who has? Just wondering before I do it.
phonedawgz

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-11-2010 10:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for phonedawgzClick Here to visit phonedawgz's HomePageSend a Private Message to phonedawgzDirect Link to This Post
The poly inserts? Yep that's how I did mine.
86FIFI

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-11-2010 11:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 86FIFISend a Private Message to 86FIFIDirect Link to This Post
Ok, sweet. That's what I'll do then. I also like the fact that they are red.
fierofool

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-12-2010 12:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolDirect Link to This Post
If your stock dogbone has the rib that runs around the outside, it will be a pretty easy job. Once you get the old rubber out, the new Fiero Store poly bushings can be pressed in with your hands. If your dogbone is smooth on the outside---well, have fun.
86FIFI

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-12-2010 10:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 86FIFISend a Private Message to 86FIFIDirect Link to This Post
I believe mine is ribbed so I should be okay. I am about to post a couple pics of what I have and what i have done.
86FIFI

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-12-2010 10:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 86FIFISend a Private Message to 86FIFIDirect Link to This Post

86FIFI

749 posts
Member since Aug 2010
Here is the before pic of the flywheel

here is the after pic of the flywheel

here is the clutch fork

here is a few things I painted
the300zxmaster

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-12-2010 10:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for the300zxmasterSend a Private Message to the300zxmasterDirect Link to This Post
We lookin good

Tomorrow we do work!

I hope that is the right clutch fork..... I could have sworn the one that's broken is splined around the whole shaft.
86FIFI

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-12-2010 10:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 86FIFISend a Private Message to 86FIFIDirect Link to This Post
Dont you jinx us now!!
86FIFI

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-13-2010 08:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 86FIFISend a Private Message to 86FIFIDirect Link to This Post
Well we hit a road block today, as well as made some progress. And muratic acid is my new best friend for fighting rust. We got the exhaust manifolds off, and reinforced the flange on the outside.

We had a hard time with the clutch fork bushing, and I will definately need a new one before I install the new fork. We finally got the fork out, removed some more paint from the plenum, got a couple more heat shields painted, going to order the clutch fork bushing, exhaust manifold gaskets, studs, dog bone bushings, and i believe something else but cant remember what, but I will order it tonight. And hope to have the clutch stuff done by next wednesday,
PFF
System Bot
phonedawgz

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-13-2010 08:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for phonedawgzClick Here to visit phonedawgz's HomePageSend a Private Message to phonedawgzDirect Link to This Post
One problem with the acid - It 'hardens' the surface by removing free electrons. This extra hardening can lead to stress cracking in the future. One way to keep it from happening is to use the acid as little as possible. That is brush off the rust with the wire wheel first and use the acid for final clean up.

Evaluate the parts before you dip them in acid. If they are a high stress part don't dip them. Don't dip springs. Don't dip bolts that hold suspension. Don't dip A-arms or other suspension parts. DO NOT DIP ANY STEERING OR BRAKE PARTS!!.

Brackets can be diped without much problem.
phonedawgz

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-13-2010 08:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for phonedawgzClick Here to visit phonedawgz's HomePageSend a Private Message to phonedawgzDirect Link to This Post

phonedawgz

17091 posts
Member since Dec 2009
So I am not sure what the road block was.
phonedawgz

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-13-2010 09:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for phonedawgzClick Here to visit phonedawgz's HomePageSend a Private Message to phonedawgzDirect Link to This Post

phonedawgz

17091 posts
Member since Dec 2009

Originally posted by 86FIFI:

I believe mine is ribbed so I should be okay.

You wish.
86FIFI

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-13-2010 09:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 86FIFISend a Private Message to 86FIFIDirect Link to This Post
I only used it on heat shields, and the header flanges. I laughed out loud at ur quote. The road block was the clutch fork bushing took. Forever to get out, and now I have to wait for it to come in to move forward. At leeast after doing all this I know everything is done right and should have a pretty reliable can engine and transmission wise.
86FIFI

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-13-2010 10:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 86FIFISend a Private Message to 86FIFIDirect Link to This Post

86FIFI

749 posts
Member since Aug 2010
Also I have a question, I planned on doin true duals instead of porting the y pipe. is there anything wrong with true duals? i dont hear much talk about people doing it, so I figured I would ask. Is there anyhting against doing this? or something that makes it difficult to do?
the300zxmaster

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-13-2010 10:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for the300zxmasterSend a Private Message to the300zxmasterDirect Link to This Post
Will this fork bushing work on 4 speed>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> http://fierostore.com/Produ...ail.aspx?s=54034&p=2

[This message has been edited by the300zxmaster (edited 10-13-2010).]

phonedawgz

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-13-2010 10:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for phonedawgzClick Here to visit phonedawgz's HomePageSend a Private Message to phonedawgzDirect Link to This Post
When the gas exits the cylinder head it is at it's hottest. As the gas cools, the volume of gasses decrease. Porting the exhaust manifolds will make a much larger difference than anything past the cat. The second biggest thing you can do for the exhaust is to port the Y pipe. Beyond that the changes won't make as much of a difference.
the300zxmaster

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-13-2010 10:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for the300zxmasterSend a Private Message to the300zxmasterDirect Link to This Post
Never mind the question i asked we found the correct one, it was listed as a bearing.
86FIFI

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-13-2010 10:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 86FIFISend a Private Message to 86FIFIDirect Link to This Post
Well that makes sense, I just figured the true dual would also give it a meaner sound with a hlittle better air flow. Ill just stick with the stock setup and port the y-pipe to keep it simple, I would like a magnaflow racing muffler but its gonna be hard to find a muffler to match the way the fieros muffler is.
86FIFI

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-13-2010 10:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 86FIFISend a Private Message to 86FIFIDirect Link to This Post

86FIFI

749 posts
Member since Aug 2010
Just ordered the clutch fork bearing, exhaust manifold gaskets, dog bone bushings, the seal for the clutch fork, and stud kit for the exhaust manifold.
PFF
System Bot
86FIFI

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-13-2010 10:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 86FIFISend a Private Message to 86FIFIDirect Link to This Post

86FIFI

749 posts
Member since Aug 2010
Also another question. I love this intake at the top of this length...
http://www.westcoastfiero.com/intake/intake.html
would it fit my 2.8? It says 2.8-3.4, but would it do fine on my 2.8? i Like how its in the fender well, and right behing the side scoop.
fierofool

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-14-2010 12:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolDirect Link to This Post
Any intake that pulls its air from inside the engine compartment is breathing thinner, hot air. In the case of the Fiero, the colder the air, the more dense, so you're better to leave the stock setup. If you want to improve the stock breathing, you might want to try a K&N filter. A little pricey on the initial purchase, but over the long term, the recharge kit will save you some money compared to replacing conventional filters. The recharge kit IIRC is about $20 and will do the filter 5 or 6 times.

The description says the filter is inside the fenderwell, meaning you will have to remove something, probably the fender well liner in order to service the filter.

[This message has been edited by fierofool (edited 10-14-2010).]

the300zxmaster

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-14-2010 12:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for the300zxmasterSend a Private Message to the300zxmasterDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fierofool:

Any intake that pulls its air from inside the engine compartment is breathing thinner, hot air. In the case of the Fiero, the colder the air, the more dense, so you're better to leave the stock setup. If you want to improve the stock breathing, you might want to try a K&N filter. A little pricey on the initial purchase, but over the long term, the recharge kit will save you some money compared to replacing conventional filters. The recharge kit IIRC is about $20 and will do the filter 5 or 6 times.

The description says the filter is inside the fenderwell, meaning you will have to remove something, probably the fender well liner in order to service the filter.

I will have to find the links but it looked as if you remove the tube that elbows up into the stock air canister and it provides just enough room for the filter to go into the opening created by removing that piece and it is then fed by the side duct contraption. I imagine a light shroud could be fabricated to close off any small opening from the fender well to engine bay.
86FIFI

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-15-2010 11:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 86FIFISend a Private Message to 86FIFIDirect Link to This Post
Got the clutch disc and flywheel installed today. Got all the openings on the exhaust manifold grinded, just have to smooth it a lil more, and do the piece on the inside. The grinding stones that came with the air tool were brittle and I went through about 5 of them.
phonedawgz

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-16-2010 12:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for phonedawgzClick Here to visit phonedawgz's HomePageSend a Private Message to phonedawgzDirect Link to This Post
Yeah as a general rule, the harder a thing is the more brittle it is. Bend a good knife blade and it snaps. Do the same with soft steel and it bends. Take your time grinding, make sure you wear eye protection and don't worry too much if you use up a few grinding stones.
86FIFI

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-16-2010 06:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 86FIFISend a Private Message to 86FIFIDirect Link to This Post
Ok, thanks for the heads up. Well I was looking at the engine balance sheet from when the PO installed the remanufactured engine, and come to find out my engine is bored .40 over.

On a seperate note, I need some extra tips on porting the y pipe. I don't exactly understand what and where to cut and dremel. I couldn't find a step by step thread.
86FIFI

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-17-2010 02:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 86FIFISend a Private Message to 86FIFIDirect Link to This Post
Will the 87 GT rims fit on my 86 SE? And are they any lighter than my rims? I think I can work out a trade with a guy for his GT rims but before I ge them I want to make sure they fit.
86FIFI

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-17-2010 03:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 86FIFISend a Private Message to 86FIFIDirect Link to This Post

86FIFI

749 posts
Member since Aug 2010
Also, when porting the exhaust manifolds, do I grind away the flaps in the main chamber on the manifolds. Seems like they are pretty restrictive as well.
phonedawgz

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-17-2010 03:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for phonedawgzClick Here to visit phonedawgz's HomePageSend a Private Message to phonedawgzDirect Link to This Post
The flaps looking into the main chamber from the exhaust port? Yes, that is the prime place to do porting.
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 22 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20   21   22 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock