Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions - Archive
  FIFI's Progress (Page 13)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 22 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20   21   22 
Previous Page | Next Page
FIFI's Progress by 86FIFI
Started on: 08-31-2010 11:27 PM
Replies: 878
Last post by: 86FIFI on 02-27-2012 06:53 AM
phonedawgz

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 290
Rate this member

Report this Post04-03-2011 07:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for phonedawgzClick Here to visit phonedawgz's HomePageSend a Private Message to phonedawgzDirect Link to This Post
Trying to patch 25 year old plastic that has been baked in the heat is not the way to go.

No advice on a new one however.
IP: Logged
fierofool

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post04-03-2011 07:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolDirect Link to This Post
Try these folks. They've been a well respected company around Atlanta for a long long time. They may be able to ship one to you for a reasonable price.

http://www.simsradiator.com/
86FIFI

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-03-2011 11:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 86FIFISend a Private Message to 86FIFIDirect Link to This Post
Phonedawgz, I realize that, I had an appt Tuesday with a local shop and the patch would have been to get me about 10 miles there and back, then replace the radiator, but I also didn't see the tank cracking until last night, so I'm not going to attempt that. I will just cancel my appt.

Fierofool, I will give them a try, thanks.
86FIFI

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-27-2011 10:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 86FIFISend a Private Message to 86FIFIDirect Link to This Post
Well I haven't updated in a while. With gas prices the way they have been, I was focusing on my motorcycle and upgrading it. So haven't done much to the fiero. I did try another radiator but it was just my luck, and it had a hole as well. But I did start practicing on painting the car. Never painted with a paint gun before, but I am getting the hang of it. Also, when I tried the second radiator and noticed it had a hole, the heater hose busted. What luck. But within the next couple weeks I will continue painting and buy a radiator. Here is a pic of my bumper with a few coats of paint. Still have to wet sand and add some more paint and sand and clear, but here is my start.

Joseph Upson

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 88
Rate this member

Report this Post07-29-2011 01:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Joseph UpsonSend a Private Message to Joseph UpsonDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 86FIFI:

Well, I just went and pulled the radiator, and the passenger side tank appears to be cracked. The crack isn't all the way through, but rather than try and patch the pin hole, I will just replace the radiator, because I think well it needs to be replaced. Ha. Anyone have a solid radiator they would like to get rid of? And the local parts store said $140 for a new one. Any recommendations on a new one? Maybe a better one or one that is good for its price?

Did you check with your local radiator shop for tank replacement? They offered them for the F-body cars, I purchased and installed one, it wasn't hard at all. The tank came with a new gasket and installed pretty easily and was trouble free afterwards. Not sure what they'd cost now if available. I believe it was about $20 for my application.
86FIFI

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-06-2011 09:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 86FIFISend a Private Message to 86FIFIDirect Link to This Post
Well I bought an all aluminium radiator, and put it in, flushed the system and put new antifreeze and water in the car. Ran it through, and car seems to be cooling just fine. Now I'm back to needing to get the GT rims and tires balanced and put on, and the car aligned. Anyone interested in an 88 GT that was a daily driver and T boned someone? I have a friend who is trying to sell his for a good price. Interior is beautiful, paint is a little faded, but car is rust free with I wanna say around 150000 miles.
86FIFI

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-16-2011 11:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 86FIFISend a Private Message to 86FIFIDirect Link to This Post
I dropped the tank in attempt to fix my fuel sender unit, with little luck. So while the car is not driveable I figured I would play with a few things. I pulled the stock air box out of the fender well to replace it with some intake hose, and dremel away at the tri piece the air box attaches to, and painted my air box. Waiting on shocks and struts to come in, and trying to fix my fuel sending unit. The car is coming along. Fingers crossed.
86FIFI

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-18-2011 10:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 86FIFISend a Private Message to 86FIFIDirect Link to This Post
Pulled the air filter canister, cover, and mount to paint today, and also removed the box in the fender well and replaced with flexible intake tubing. Also dremeled a lot of the metal off of the tri piece on the mount to allow more air through with less restrictions. Still no luck with the fuel sending unit. Preparing the car for paint now. Removed all the stock pin striping around the side skirting on the rear bumper.
86FIFI

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-21-2011 09:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 86FIFISend a Private Message to 86FIFIDirect Link to This Post
Completely filler primed the car and replaced the front bumper today. Still waiting on shocks and struts to come in.
86FIFI

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-27-2011 11:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 86FIFISend a Private Message to 86FIFIDirect Link to This Post
Installed the front shocks today. The kyb were 100 times more stiff than the stock shocks.
86FIFI

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-28-2011 11:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 86FIFISend a Private Message to 86FIFIDirect Link to This Post
Just to add a picture, here are my shocks and struts.

PFF
System Bot
86FIFI

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-07-2011 08:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 86FIFISend a Private Message to 86FIFIDirect Link to This Post
Haven't updated a picture of the car in a while, so I figured I would show where I am with the paint. It has one very thin coat of color, but its already looking. I think I am going to have to get the GT rims powder coated black to get the complete look. The grey rims may look funny.

I am an amateur, but have read quite a bit on painting. Just thought I would enjoy painting my car myself and be able to claim every bit of work done to the car.
86FIFI

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-15-2011 11:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 86FIFISend a Private Message to 86FIFIDirect Link to This Post
I got the gas tank back in with no luck on the sending unit. I have a question, when I turn my car on engine not running and radio disconnected, a loud buzzing noise comes from the driver side rear speaker. But when I plug a radio up, the radio buzzes quietly. Any idea what is happening?
86FIFI

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-18-2011 07:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 86FIFISend a Private Message to 86FIFIDirect Link to This Post
Today I replaced the sway bar end links and bushings, and cut one coil off my front springs. Do they make the polyurethane dust boots for the ball joints? My ball joints are fine, I just cut the basking that held the grease. Or am I going to have to get new ones and press them in?
fierofool

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-18-2011 09:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolDirect Link to This Post
Yes, they make just the boots. I just recently replaced my swaybar bushings and tie rod boots with poly, but I had had them on the shelf for about 5 years, so I don't remember where they came from. I they were ProThane products. They may be available from The Fiero Store.
86FIFI

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-18-2011 10:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 86FIFISend a Private Message to 86FIFIDirect Link to This Post
Just checked fierostore and it appears the tie rod boots and ball joint boots are the same. In that case I can pick them up at my parts store. Thanks for the reply. I was beginning to think no one was watching the thread anymore. I am just trying to make sure when this car is on the road it won't have to come back off.
fierofool

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-18-2011 10:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolDirect Link to This Post
I'm keeping up with you. Would like to meet you when it's roadworthy.
86FIFI

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-18-2011 10:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 86FIFISend a Private Message to 86FIFIDirect Link to This Post
Haha, funny you said that. I was just telling someone how you have kept up with me and I wanted to make a Fiero meeting and meet you, so I know who has been giving me tips.
86FIFI

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-21-2011 12:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 86FIFISend a Private Message to 86FIFIDirect Link to This Post
I was able to get some tie rod dust boots made by energy suspension from the parts store for my ball joints, and they fit like a glove. Are you supposed to fill it with grease as well, or just let the polyurethane do the impact absorbtion?
86FIFI

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-22-2011 12:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 86FIFISend a Private Message to 86FIFIDirect Link to This Post
Replaced parking brake cable from actual handle handle today. Now all have been replaced. And once tightened up I should have a working parking brake. Then the 7730 repinning begins.
phonedawgz

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-22-2011 12:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for phonedawgzClick Here to visit phonedawgz's HomePageSend a Private Message to phonedawgzDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 86FIFI:

I was able to get some tie rod dust boots made by energy suspension from the parts store for my ball joints, and they fit like a glove. Are you supposed to fill it with grease as well, or just let the polyurethane do the impact absorbtion?

The cavity below the boot and above the tie rod end joint should be full of grease so to prevent water from ending up in it.

PFF
System Bot
fierofool

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-22-2011 08:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolDirect Link to This Post
.......and the function of the boots aren't to absorb shock. After installation, clean your grease fitting and put enough grease into the joint to just barely begin to see a swelling of the boot.
86FIFI

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-22-2011 11:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 86FIFISend a Private Message to 86FIFIDirect Link to This Post
Ok, thanks for the clarification.
86FIFI

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-22-2011 11:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 86FIFISend a Private Message to 86FIFIDirect Link to This Post

86FIFI

749 posts
Member since Aug 2010
Got parking brake cable tightened up, and it seems to work great. It actually releases when the button is pressed and the handle is lowered like it should now. Now to repin and install my rear coilovers.
86FIFI

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-24-2011 03:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 86FIFISend a Private Message to 86FIFIDirect Link to This Post
I plan on starting the repinning process tomorrow for the 7730, I printed out darth Fieros pdf file of which wire goes where, anything else I should know before or while doing this? This is the most complex job I think I have attempted on this car, and I am very excited to see the outcome. I am doing an EGR delete, and want to integrate the knock sensor.
86FIFI

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-26-2011 09:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 86FIFISend a Private Message to 86FIFIDirect Link to This Post
I have pretty much finished the wiring on my 7730 swap, I have to wire in knock sensor, and build EGR block off plates and vacuum line caps, and wait on the memcal to come back, and I will see what happens.
86FIFI

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-29-2011 08:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 86FIFISend a Private Message to 86FIFIDirect Link to This Post
Tightened up all 7730 wiring and installed my rear coilovers today. Here is a pic.
phonedawgz

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-29-2011 09:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for phonedawgzClick Here to visit phonedawgz's HomePageSend a Private Message to phonedawgzDirect Link to This Post
They look nice. You're not going to drive it and get them all dirty are you?
86FIFI

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-29-2011 09:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 86FIFISend a Private Message to 86FIFIDirect Link to This Post
I thought they made the car fly!? Haha. Let's hope this bad boy sticks to the road.
86FIFI

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-02-2011 09:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 86FIFISend a Private Message to 86FIFIDirect Link to This Post
I noticed Rodney dickman sells something on his site that opens up the bottom of the air box, so I decided to open it up myself. I figured it would go along well with the "water separator" delete out the fender well.
fierofool

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-02-2011 11:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolDirect Link to This Post
I noticed at the right top of your air canister photo that there appears to be some rust-through near the lip. However small it might be, it can allow fine dust to be pulled into the engine. That's on the unfiltered side of your airflow. Might want to sand off the paint in that area and fill it with some J&B Quik Weld.
PFF
System Bot
86FIFI

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-03-2011 07:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 86FIFISend a Private Message to 86FIFIDirect Link to This Post
10-4 I will get right on that.
86FIFI

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-05-2011 07:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 86FIFISend a Private Message to 86FIFIDirect Link to This Post
Replaced sway bar bushings with some from energy suspension. Still waiting on my Mem/Cal to come in the mail.
86FIFI

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-06-2011 10:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 86FIFISend a Private Message to 86FIFIDirect Link to This Post
Today, I started the car for the first time with the 7730 installed and already noticed a difference. Couple problems to figure out, and then to see how the car rides with all the new suspension components.
86FIFI

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-12-2011 02:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 86FIFISend a Private Message to 86FIFIDirect Link to This Post
Here is a pic of FIFI at her first fill up. Still addressing some issues, but still moving forward.

the300zxmaster

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-12-2011 03:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for the300zxmasterSend a Private Message to the300zxmasterDirect Link to This Post
Is very nice!
86FIFI

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-15-2011 11:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 86FIFISend a Private Message to 86FIFIDirect Link to This Post
I went and got the car aligned today. I need a new inner tie rod for the right front, but I might as well just replace both, and get another alignment. New pics coming with the new wheels and tires added.
86FIFI

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-18-2011 10:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 86FIFISend a Private Message to 86FIFIDirect Link to This Post
Updated pic of the radio install.

86FIFI

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-18-2011 10:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 86FIFISend a Private Message to 86FIFIDirect Link to This Post

86FIFI

749 posts
Member since Aug 2010
Ok, so I am trying to narrow things down on my car I have a code 33 showing up. I have tried 7 different MAP sensors from the junkyard. I know they can't all be bad. And car doesn't idle right. But sometimes it drives fine. So today while it was idling bad I unplugged a random wire from the distributor and the idle didn't change but it sparked so I assume I have a misfire due to an injector. Am I right to assume so? How would I check this? Also I have a just about new IAC from an 84 and I would like to know if I could use it on my car?

[This message has been edited by 86FIFI (edited 10-21-2011).]

86FIFI

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-20-2011 10:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 86FIFISend a Private Message to 86FIFIDirect Link to This Post
Today I started the tear down of the motor to prepare for the trueleo intake. I pulled the upper and middle intakes off, pulled the valve covers for paint, removed fuel rail and pulled injectors from fuel rail and have them soaking in sea foam. I ohmed them all and they were all the same so they are good on that aspect. I plugged the hole on the fuel rail for the cold start injector, and the plug in the lower intake where the injector actually went. I also removed the coolant lines running to the throttle body. And I am in the process of replacing my plastic vacuum lines with rubber hoses. Here are a couple pics I took.

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 22 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20   21   22 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock