Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions - Archive
  FIFI's Progress (Page 22)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 22 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20   21   22 
Previous Page | Next Page
FIFI's Progress by 86FIFI
Started on: 08-31-2010 11:27 PM
Replies: 878
Last post by: 86FIFI on 02-27-2012 06:53 AM
ericjon262

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 66
Rate this member

Report this Post01-31-2012 11:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ericjon262Send a Private Message to ericjon262Direct Link to This Post
where did you get this"reman" engine?

------------------
there's a Group on 60degreeV6.com for us 660 Fiero owners!

Fiero Owner's group on 60degreeV6.com

I know these lines Look crooked on paper, but I swear I've got them straight in my head.

IP: Logged
86FIFI

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-01-2012 06:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 86FIFISend a Private Message to 86FIFIDirect Link to This Post
S and S remanufacturing or something like that. Previous owner did it and then messed up the throughout bearing and broke clutch fork so they parked it. I have engine paperwork.
fierofool

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post02-01-2012 08:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolDirect Link to This Post
Am I missing something here, or am I just too much Old School? You're testing compression by blowing air into the cylinders? I have always inserted a compression gauge into the spark plug hole, spun the engine with the starter so it turns over 4-5 times, then look at the compression gauge.
Raydar

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post02-01-2012 08:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarDirect Link to This Post
He did that.

~45 dry. 150 wet.
86FIFI

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-01-2012 08:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 86FIFISend a Private Message to 86FIFIDirect Link to This Post
Raydar is correct I did a regular compression test, and would have tested again last night, but the battery was too low. So I pretty much performed a leak down type test to see what is happening.
ericjon262

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-01-2012 10:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ericjon262Send a Private Message to ericjon262Direct Link to This Post
hate to say it, but it sounds like the rings are junk, bad break-in maybe? or maybe it never was really rebuilt...
86FIFI

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-01-2012 03:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 86FIFISend a Private Message to 86FIFIDirect Link to This Post
Well I got a $900 reciept for a rebuilt Longblock and all valve springs, valves, rocker arms, and push rods look brand new. It's break in time cosisted mainly of sitting.
ericjon262

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-01-2012 07:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ericjon262Send a Private Message to ericjon262Direct Link to This Post
just because you have reciepts doesn't mean the work was done by a reputable shop. to me, it sounds like a bad rebuild.
86FIFI

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-01-2012 08:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 86FIFISend a Private Message to 86FIFIDirect Link to This Post
http://www.rebuiltautoengines.com/

Seems pretty reputable to me. Either way, the PO had everything done, so honestly I have no idea what the inside of the motor looks like, I know the cam is aftermarket and everything under the valve cover is new. I just think all the gas messed up the cylinder walls. Yall don't seem to act like gas in the oil like I have had it is that big of a deal, most other forums and vehicle owners act like that's death to a motor of not fixed soon which kind of suprised me when I mentioned it in the first place.
86FIFI

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-01-2012 08:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 86FIFISend a Private Message to 86FIFIDirect Link to This Post

86FIFI

749 posts
Member since Aug 2010
Also, if it was a bad rebuild why did it run so good before o went through and installed the trueleo? Read more of my build thread to netters understand the situation, not just the last couple pages and make an assumption. Come help me fix it and take the 87 fastback home with you.
the300zxmaster

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-01-2012 08:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for the300zxmasterSend a Private Message to the300zxmasterDirect Link to This Post
The amount of fuel that was in the cylinder bore and the amount of times started was tremendous. I have no doubt in my mind that fuel wash is the culprit in this situation. There was probably enough fuel to nearly hydrolock the engine (thankfully it didn't ). You can still smell fuel in the oil after numerous oil changes. S&S is a very trustworthy engine builder with years if experience. 86fifi and I have inspected the build documents and all tollerances and balance sheets are more than up to par. Perhaps we could get a bore scope and have a look around inside.
PFF
System Bot
ericjon262

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-02-2012 01:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ericjon262Send a Private Message to ericjon262Direct Link to This Post
wait! you said CAM. how much cam? what kind of duration? more duration is going to lower cranking compression, which could be part of the reason for the low numbers.

also, oil wash will do damage don't get me wrong, but most of the cases I've seen of it being a problem has been less with the rings, and more with the bearings

------------------

I know these lines Look crooked on paper, but I swear I've got them straight in my head.

ericjon262

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-02-2012 01:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ericjon262Send a Private Message to ericjon262Direct Link to This Post

ericjon262

3082 posts
Member since Jan 2010
also, I've heard alot of mixed reviews of S&S, most seem to point to bad, just because you have a sheet of paper that say's "X" doesn't mean "Z" wasn't performed...

------------------

86FIFI

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-02-2012 08:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 86FIFISend a Private Message to 86FIFIDirect Link to This Post
Well you could be right, but I'm hoping you aren't. Here is link talking about the cam.
https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/119005.html

Keep in mind I have driven quite a few miles on this motor and cam and all. Only thing new to me is the trueleo intake. May think about pulling the motor one weekend and taking a look at the cylinders and pistons. Try and get it taken care of outside the car, then put it pack in. I have to finish expanding my shed first so I have somewhere to put it.
86FIFI

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-02-2012 08:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 86FIFISend a Private Message to 86FIFIDirect Link to This Post

86FIFI

749 posts
Member since Aug 2010
Actually what I will do first is pull the heads off and look into the cylinders and go from there instead of pulling the motor.
zkhennings

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-02-2012 09:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for zkhenningsSend a Private Message to zkhenningsDirect Link to This Post
did you pull valvecovers off and make sure timing is correct for sure? some cams can change the firing order, maybe yours did and when you put it all back together before, you set all your timing correctly/ firing order and now you have just forgotten about it? I might forget something like that if I wasn't thinking about it.
86FIFI

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-02-2012 09:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 86FIFISend a Private Message to 86FIFIDirect Link to This Post
Sure, ill try that first.
86FIFI

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-08-2012 07:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 86FIFISend a Private Message to 86FIFIDirect Link to This Post
So i pulled the valve cover and distributor cap to douple check the timing and it was dead on. I pulled every plug seperately, and had a great spark on each one. Sprayed starter fluid in the intake and tried starting and got nothing.
zkhennings

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-09-2012 04:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for zkhenningsSend a Private Message to zkhenningsDirect Link to This Post
It makes no sense that your timing is perfect, you have great spark, and yet you can't run off starter fluid?
86FIFI

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-09-2012 07:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 86FIFISend a Private Message to 86FIFIDirect Link to This Post
That's what I am saying.
Gall757

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post02-09-2012 08:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Direct Link to This Post
Maybe it's time for an intervention. Why don't you host a meeting of the Georgia Fiero Club? It would be a fun night!
PFF
System Bot
86FIFI

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-09-2012 09:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 86FIFISend a Private Message to 86FIFIDirect Link to This Post
I'd love too, problem is I am so far from everyone. I could grill some burgers and hotdogs and supply beer or other choice beverage and some side items. Ha. And get to know everyone in the meantime.
zkhennings

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-10-2012 12:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for zkhenningsSend a Private Message to zkhenningsDirect Link to This Post
It's like your engine no longer obeys physics. Could very little compression stop the car from being able to run on starter fluid? Or valves that just wont close all the way or a cracked head or block or something that's allowing pressure to escape?
Gall757

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post02-10-2012 09:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by 86FIFI:

I'd love too, problem is I am so far from everyone.

Got the 'Statesboro Blues'?

[This message has been edited by Gall757 (edited 02-10-2012).]

86FIFI

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-10-2012 09:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 86FIFISend a Private Message to 86FIFIDirect Link to This Post
Exactly! I'm all alone. Got some Fiero owners around here, but they just drive it as a car. There is a guy in pembroke and he replied good to every email until I asked his help then no reply.
Lou6t4gto

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-10-2012 10:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Lou6t4gtoSend a Private Message to Lou6t4gtoDirect Link to This Post
I just went through all that non-sense with a 2000 mile engine ! 30 PSI in 2 cylinders DRY. put in "marvel mystery oil", immediate 155 in all. Drove it, rechecked it 2 days later ... 155 in ALL. the rings had gotten "Stuck" from the engine misfiring from bad gas (Alcholol,& bad plug wires . Also 2000 miles (damn chinese junk) I put on new plug wires & all it well. give it a shot !
86FIFI

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-10-2012 11:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 86FIFISend a Private Message to 86FIFIDirect Link to This Post
I've tried two sets of plugs, and the wires have very few miles as well, plus I previously stated I have great spark.
86FIFI

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-13-2012 10:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 86FIFISend a Private Message to 86FIFIDirect Link to This Post
Member sharkbyte lives about 20 min from me and is gonna try and come by this afternoon and see if I am missing something or if he knows something I don't. Fingers crossed.
fierofool

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-13-2012 03:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolDirect Link to This Post
Matt, you have my number. Give me a call when you have the time. I might be able to pick up your car and get it to a Fiero mechanic. Let's talk.
86FIFI

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-13-2012 09:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 86FIFISend a Private Message to 86FIFIDirect Link to This Post
Charlie, I'm sure people tell you all the time, but your a great guy! Very kind. I really appreciate your offer. All we did today was face the distributor the direction it is from the factory or compared to the 87, and changed the wires around and them reset cylinder one to TDC and made sure the rotor was facing it. Jerry says my plugs were gas soaked and probably won't fire and that's most likely my problem. But I left them under a blow dryer for like 20 minutes and used sans paper for the tips and put them back in and tried using starter fluid to start it and all I got was a backfire through the intake.
fierofool

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-13-2012 09:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolDirect Link to This Post
Progress! Now, try using the other timing mark as TDC or rotate the wires at 180 degrees. Thanks for the compliment.
PFF
System Bot
86FIFI

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-13-2012 09:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 86FIFISend a Private Message to 86FIFIDirect Link to This Post
I've been sticking a dowel into the spark plug hole until the piston is at the top of its stroke and verifying it that way, not by the actual mark.
ericjon262

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-13-2012 10:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ericjon262Send a Private Message to ericjon262Direct Link to This Post
are you sure that wasn't the both valves were closed?

Wow, what a jumbled mess that is, let me fix this

Are you sure that both of the valves were closed?

[This message has been edited by ericjon262 (edited 02-15-2012).]

Raydar

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post02-13-2012 10:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 86FIFI:

I've been sticking a dowel into the spark plug hole until the piston is at the top of its stroke and verifying it that way, not by the actual mark.

You need to make sure that's # 1's compression stroke. Not the exhaust stroke. (If it's the exhaust stroke, it's # 4's compression stroke.)
If you get the piston at TDC, you should be able to pressurize the cylinder. If it's the exhaust stroke, you'll hear the air escaping through the valve and exhaust system.

Pardon my redundancy if you already know this. Just trying to save you some time.
Pete Matos

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-13-2012 10:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Pete MatosSend a Private Message to Pete MatosDirect Link to This Post
Hehe...
that's what I told him, I do all the cars that way and it has always worked for me. My Compression tester has a quick detach coupling that I can add compressed air into. I crank the pressure way down to like five or ten and put it in there and if the piston moves you know you are on the compression stroke... Simple and easy. I would be willing to bet that it is an ignition issue from talking to him and reading this thread. Sure would like to hear he got it running...peace

Pete
86FIFI

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-14-2012 09:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 86FIFISend a Private Message to 86FIFIDirect Link to This Post
Yea, I realize this, and that's probably why its back firing through the itake. Just ran out of time last night to get it on the compression stroke. He will be back Wednesday.
86FIFI

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-15-2012 07:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 86FIFISend a Private Message to 86FIFIDirect Link to This Post
I pulled the trueleo this afternoon and got the lower intake and fuel rail mounted. Got a new set of plugs just haven't installed them yet.
ericjon262

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-27-2012 01:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ericjon262Send a Private Message to ericjon262Direct Link to This Post
any updates on the situation?

------------------

86FIFI

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-27-2012 06:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 86FIFISend a Private Message to 86FIFIDirect Link to This Post
Well, both cars are sold. Sold the fastback clip to "Neomike" from south Carolina, and the 87 and 86 went to Rob from between lawrenceville and Douglas I believe. Rob's son has a gold 84 in great condition but he is going to school in valdosta, but it has the 3.4 w/ automatic trans, and all power options including a/c. Hate that I had to let them go, but don't count me out. I don't have much left of school, and once I'm out I will get another Fiero. This time I will get one that I can just get in and drive and just maintain. And most likely a 3800 SC swapped Fiero.
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 22 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20   21   22 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock