Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions - Archive
  FIFI's Progress (Page 2)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 22 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20   21   22 
Previous Page | Next Page
FIFI's Progress by 86FIFI
Started on: 08-31-2010 11:27 PM
Replies: 878
Last post by: 86FIFI on 02-27-2012 06:53 AM
86FIFI

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-02-2010 11:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 86FIFISend a Private Message to 86FIFIDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 86FIFI:

Well i just looked on the Oreilly's website, and it says 13/16 for 4 speed manual transmission, the people there are just idiots after i clearly said 4-speed. Here is the link just so you can make sure. I called earlier, and its $23.99

I didnt post the link so here it is.

http://www.oreillyauto.com/...del=Fiero&vi=1249129

------------------
Matt

2002 5.4 Ford F-150 SuperCrew
1986 2.8 Pontiac Fiero 4-Speed

IP: Logged
phonedawgz

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 290
Rate this member

Report this Post09-02-2010 11:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for phonedawgzClick Here to visit phonedawgz's HomePageSend a Private Message to phonedawgzDirect Link to This Post
An 11/16th bore size wasn't used on the Fiero slave as far as I know.
86FIFI

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-02-2010 11:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 86FIFISend a Private Message to 86FIFIDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by phonedawgz:

Well I will try the 13/16 I have the 86 2.8 4 speed

------------------
Matt

2002 5.4 Ford F-150 SuperCrew
1986 2.8 Pontiac Fiero 4-Speed

fierofool

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post09-03-2010 09:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolDirect Link to This Post

Used on the Getrag equipped vehicles.

Matt, the F103482 slave is the correct one. It's identical to the one I have here that came off the 86 2.8, yesterday.

86FIFI

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-03-2010 09:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 86FIFISend a Private Message to 86FIFIDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fierofool:

Used on the Getrag equipped vehicles.

Matt, the F103482 slave is the correct one. It's identical to the one I have here that came off the 86 2.8, yesterday.

Thanks, its identical to the one I pulled off the car as well. I was wondering why the one I got was so much different.
phonedawgz

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-03-2010 10:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for phonedawgzClick Here to visit phonedawgz's HomePageSend a Private Message to phonedawgzDirect Link to This Post
The 103482 is a 13/16" bore and was used on the Izusu and 4 speeds

the Getrag uses a 15/16" bore

an 11/16" bore wasn't used on the Fieros.

4 speeds were used on 85 and early 86 2.8 V6's The 5 speed Getrag was used on later 86 and all 87-88 Fieros with the 2.8. The Getrag's larger bore slave means you would end up with less travel if mis-installed on a 4 speed

[This message has been edited by phonedawgz (edited 09-03-2010).]

86FIFI

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-03-2010 12:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 86FIFISend a Private Message to 86FIFIDirect Link to This Post

The 103482 is a 13/16" bore and was used on the Izusu and 4 speeds

the Getrag uses a 15/16" bore

an 11/16" bore wasn't used on the Fieros.

4 speeds were used on 85 and early 86 2.8 V6's The 5 speed Getrag was used on later 86 and all 87-88 Fieros with the 2.8. The Getrag's larger bore slave means you would end up with less travel if mis-installed on a 4 speed

Well I had the 11/16 on there and was getting about 3/4 to an inch of travel, but I got the fuel pump and 13/16 slave this morning so I should be fine.
phonedawgz

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-03-2010 05:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for phonedawgzClick Here to visit phonedawgz's HomePageSend a Private Message to phonedawgzDirect Link to This Post
Well with the same amount of hydrulic fluid displacement into a bigger bore you will get a smaller stroke. So idk if this is going in the right direction then. I do know that you have the factory sized bore slave now for the 4 speed however.
fierofool

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-03-2010 08:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolDirect Link to This Post
The one at the top with the 11/16 bore in 86FiFi's link looks just like this one in Rodney's catalog. Rodney's doesn't list the bore but they do look the same. I think they originally gave him one for the 86 Getrag. I forget which one, but I think it's AutoZone that doesn't even list an 86 4-speed Fiero.

http://rodneydickman.com/ca...th=61&products_id=66
phonedawgz

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-03-2010 08:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for phonedawgzClick Here to visit phonedawgz's HomePageSend a Private Message to phonedawgzDirect Link to This Post
The Getrag slave cylinder has a larger bore than the slave cylinder used on the 4 speeds/Izusu

http://www.westcoastfieros.....asp?TID=1036&PN=200

So when you look at this picture which cylinder has the smaller bore?

[This message has been edited by phonedawgz (edited 09-03-2010).]

fierofool

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-03-2010 09:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolDirect Link to This Post
Oh, I agree with you on the physical appearance. The shorter one does look like it would have a larger bore. It may be that someone is providing the wrong specs on their product. I'm having problems with my computer but I'll see if I can find some specs in my files. I'm curious.
PFF
System Bot
86FIFI

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-03-2010 09:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 86FIFISend a Private Message to 86FIFIDirect Link to This Post
Well, I put the 13/16 in today, and it is exactly the same lenght as the one I pulled out the car, and I had the studs built into it like the one out the car. To look at, the bore looked thinner on the new one, but when I held them end to end they matched up perfectly, so when 300zxmaster has time to come back over we will bleed it. We got the fuel pump put in and into the tank today, but I am going to replace a couple hoses just cause they looked bad, and we took the pulsator off the pump too for more gas flow. How much gas should be in the tank for the original "prime" and first start up attempt since I have had FIFI. It wont necessarily be soon, but I would like to make sure she runs though.
86FIFI

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-03-2010 09:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 86FIFISend a Private Message to 86FIFIDirect Link to This Post

86FIFI

749 posts
Member since Aug 2010

The Getrag slave cylinder has a larger bore than the slave cylinder used on the 4 speeds/Izusu

http://www.westcoastfieros.....asp?TID=1036&PN=200

So when you look at this picture which cylinder has the smaller bore?

The newer one had the smaller bore in that pic.

phonedawgz

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-03-2010 10:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for phonedawgzClick Here to visit phonedawgz's HomePageSend a Private Message to phonedawgzDirect Link to This Post
Maybe my eyes are going bad. Smaller sized diameter? Bore refers to the size of the circle represented by the top of the piston, measured in diameter. Stroke refers to how long the piston travels down the bore.
phonedawgz

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-03-2010 11:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for phonedawgzClick Here to visit phonedawgz's HomePageSend a Private Message to phonedawgzDirect Link to This Post

phonedawgz

17091 posts
Member since Dec 2009
Two gallons is enough to start the car.
86FIFI

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-03-2010 11:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 86FIFISend a Private Message to 86FIFIDirect Link to This Post

Maybe my eyes are going bad. Smaller sized diameter? Bore refers to the size of the circle represented by the top of the piston, measured in diameter. Stroke refers to how long the piston travels down the bore.

Yea, the bore on the stock one was larger than the 11/16 and the stroke of the 11/16 was longer, but the 13/16 when held end to end with the stock one lines up directly with the bore and both have the same stroke. If you were to look at them though it looks like the stock one has a larger bore, but its just a thicker metal than the one I recently purchased.
86FIFI

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-03-2010 11:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 86FIFISend a Private Message to 86FIFIDirect Link to This Post

86FIFI

749 posts
Member since Aug 2010

Two gallons is enough to start the car.

Great, I have 2 gallons of 93 Octane in the shed. and i will mix some mystery oil (I believe is what it was) I know the bottle says to put half in the gas, and half in the oil, but after sitting a while I want to make sure everything gets cleaned out.
the300zxmaster

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-04-2010 01:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for the300zxmasterSend a Private Message to the300zxmasterDirect Link to This Post
Made a bit of progress today. Managed to get the fuel pump assembly installed into the tank but got held up by some rotten fuel line.

We worked the caliper pistons in and out multiple times and they should be fine once they hit the road.

As far as the slave is concerned we now have the correct one and its simply of bleeding it properly.

I have very high hopes that it should run once we button everything up.
phonedawgz

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-04-2010 04:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for phonedawgzClick Here to visit phonedawgz's HomePageSend a Private Message to phonedawgzDirect Link to This Post
At Disneyland the lines are designed that you can't see how long the line really is untill you get to the next bend, and once you get there that's when you see how long the line is in front of you.

Expect to find NEW things that you will need to deal with once you get the engine to crank, new things once you get it driving ect. Hopefully not big things. Plan for the worst, hope for the best, and what you should experence something in between.
86FIFI

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-04-2010 11:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 86FIFISend a Private Message to 86FIFIDirect Link to This Post

At Disneyland the lines are designed that you can't see how long the line really is untill you get to the next bend, and once you get there that's when you see how long the line is in front of you.

Expect to find NEW things that you will need to deal with once you get the engine to crank, new things once you get it driving ect. Hopefully not big things. Plan for the worst, hope for the best, and what you should experence something in between.

Well I kind of figured that, but once it is running we can verify the next problem. This is just the first step into seeing what is wrong with it.
fierofool

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-04-2010 01:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolDirect Link to This Post
I did some checking in the Pontiac P22 Parts Listing. There are 4 slave cylinders for the Fiero.

84--#10026326
85--#10035044 for both the M17 and MT2 transmissions. That would be for the Muncie 4 speed and the Isuzu 5 speed.
86--#10035004 for the MT2 and M17 transmissions. Again, for the Muncie 4 speed and the Isuzu 5 speed
87/88--#10038875 for the Getrag 5 speed.

As with many of the auto parts stores, they don't show the Getrag slave for the 86.

Since the Getrag slave is shorter and it still has to produce an effective travel of about 1 1/4 inch, it would make sense that the bore is smaller than the other slaves. While you can't change the travel on the master cylinder, you can reduce it's bore to provide the proper amount of fluid. I believe the Getrag equipped Fieros had a different clutch master cylinder than did the cars equipped with Muncie or Isuzu transmissions.

We've gotten way off 86FiFi's topic. I'll leave the last word to you. Thanks for the discussion.
PFF
System Bot
86FIFI

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-04-2010 01:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 86FIFISend a Private Message to 86FIFIDirect Link to This Post

I did some checking in the Pontiac P22 Parts Listing. There are 4 slave cylinders for the Fiero.

84--#10026326
85--#10035044 for both the M17 and MT2 transmissions. That would be for the Muncie 4 speed and the Isuzu 5 speed.
86--#10035004 for the MT2 and M17 transmissions. Again, for the Muncie 4 speed and the Isuzu 5 speed

As with many of the auto parts stores, they don't show the Getrag slave for the 86.

Since the Getrag slave is shorter and it still has to produce an effective travel of about 1 1/4 inch, it would make sense that the bore is smaller than the other slaves. While you can't change the travel on the master cylinder, you can reduce it's bore to provide the proper amount of fluid. I believe the Getrag equipped Fieros had a different clutch master cylinder than did the cars equipped with Muncie or Isuzu transmissions.

We've gotten way off 86FiFi's topic. I'll leave the last word to you. Thanks for the discussion.

Well I believe the one I have is the right one, but i appreciate all the help from you guys!! As soon as I have been on here long enough I will submit a positive rating for you both. I wont have time to work on FIFI today, but tomorrow I will try and clean the calipers up and put the gas tank back in on Monday. I would like to get her runnning, so we can start talking performance. How will I know if I have a Muncie, Getrag, or Isuzu trranny? All I know is I have a 4 speed. TIA
phonedawgz

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-04-2010 02:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for phonedawgzClick Here to visit phonedawgz's HomePageSend a Private Message to phonedawgzDirect Link to This Post

84--#10026326

ALL Fiero cluch master cylinders have an 11/16 bore no matter which tranny was used.
phonedawgz

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-04-2010 02:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for phonedawgzClick Here to visit phonedawgz's HomePageSend a Private Message to phonedawgzDirect Link to This Post

phonedawgz

17091 posts
Member since Dec 2009

Well I believe the one I have is the right one, but i appreciate all the help from you guys!! As soon as I have been on here long enough I will submit a positive rating for you both. I wont have time to work on FIFI today, but tomorrow I will try and clean the calipers up and put the gas tank back in on Monday. I would like to get her runnning, so we can start talking performance. How will I know if I have a Muncie, Getrag, or Isuzu trranny? All I know is I have a 4 speed. TIA

The Getrag was made by Muncie so its a little confusing but ALL 4 speeds are usually referred as Muncies since they were built by them.

All Isuzu's are 5 speeds and were only used on 4 cylinders. Getrag's were only used on V6's. 4 speeds were used on both 4's and 6's.
86FIFI

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-04-2010 04:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 86FIFISend a Private Message to 86FIFIDirect Link to This Post

The Getrag was made by Muncie so its a little confusing but ALL 4 speeds are usually referred as Muncies since they were built by them.

All Isuzu's are 5 speeds and were only used on 4 cylinders. Getrag's were only used on V6's. 4 speeds were used on both 4's and 6's.

Oh ok, so I most likely have a Muncie.
phonedawgz

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-04-2010 04:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for phonedawgzClick Here to visit phonedawgz's HomePageSend a Private Message to phonedawgzDirect Link to This Post
No, take the word 'likely' out of your sentence and then it is correct.

Read the year specific part
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fiero
86FIFI

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-04-2010 06:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 86FIFISend a Private Message to 86FIFIDirect Link to This Post

No, take the word 'likely' out of your sentence and then it is correct.

Read the year specific part
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fiero

Oh ok, cool So I have the 4-speed 3.65 muncie transmission.
phonedawgz

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-04-2010 07:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for phonedawgzClick Here to visit phonedawgz's HomePageSend a Private Message to phonedawgzDirect Link to This Post
Yep - Well unless someone changed it but most likely they didn't
86FIFI

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-05-2010 12:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 86FIFISend a Private Message to 86FIFIDirect Link to This Post

Yep - Well unless someone changed it but most likely they didn't

i dont believe they did, its got 135,xxx miles with a new 2.8 but same tranny.
phonedawgz

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-05-2010 12:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for phonedawgzClick Here to visit phonedawgz's HomePageSend a Private Message to phonedawgzDirect Link to This Post
86FIFI

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-05-2010 12:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 86FIFISend a Private Message to 86FIFIDirect Link to This Post

https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/063783.html

Oh ok, I have the muncie 4-speed then.
PFF
System Bot
the300zxmaster

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-05-2010 10:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for the300zxmasterSend a Private Message to the300zxmasterDirect Link to This Post

Oh ok, I have the muncie 4-speed then.

Meals.
86FIFI

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-07-2010 11:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 86FIFISend a Private Message to 86FIFIDirect Link to This Post
Well today was a good day in FiFi's life. We installed the gas tank and replaced the fuel filter and changed the oil and she started up. 300zxmaster will post a vid of her running later as I took one with my phone and it was too large to send. There is still a problem of the clutch engaging, and the parking brake is stuck on. I have new brake lines to replace the others, so the parking brake shouldnt be a problem, but i am still puzzled about the clutch. Also what are some alternatives to the intake, my stock air bow was rusted all to hell, and i do not want to use it anymore. and an open filter will not do in its place because it would get wet. And i have the Fiero side scoop and I would still like to use it, but I would like to get more out of it than stock. TIA
Matt
phonedawgz

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-07-2010 11:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for phonedawgzClick Here to visit phonedawgz's HomePageSend a Private Message to phonedawgzDirect Link to This Post
A problem with the clutch engaging or a problem with the clutch not disengaging?

Keep the stock air filter - get one from some on the MALL section

Don't drop the Manifold Air Temp sensor (the one that is actually on the air intake can) The engine will run like poop without it.

[This message has been edited by phonedawgz (edited 09-07-2010).]

86FIFI

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-07-2010 11:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 86FIFISend a Private Message to 86FIFIDirect Link to This Post

A problem with the clutch engaging or a problem with the clutch not disengaging?

Don't drop the Manifold Air Temp sensor (the one that is actually on the air intake can) The engine will run like poop without it.

Yea the car actually wouldnt start until i put the rusted box back in there. i was gonna use the sensor, didnt know if they made a different after market one. and the clutch thing. Well i push the clutch in, and it is hard to put the car in gear. When I push in the clutch, it squeaks, almost like a squeaky belt.
the300zxmaster

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-08-2010 12:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for the300zxmasterSend a Private Message to the300zxmasterDirect Link to This Post

We are placing the air temperature sensor in a bung on a custom piping set up. The pcv system will also have a connection.

I dont think we are bleeding it completely yet because the pedal is still very soft and only getting about 1/4 inch of travel.
Either there is still air in the system or the seals on the clutch master cylinder are shot.

Here is a video of her first start>

http://s638.photobucket.com...20-20100907-2020.mp4
phonedawgz

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-08-2010 12:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for phonedawgzClick Here to visit phonedawgz's HomePageSend a Private Message to phonedawgzDirect Link to This Post

Yea the car actually wouldnt start until i put the rusted box back in there. i was gonna use the sensor, didnt know if they made a different after market one. and the clutch thing. Well i push the clutch in, and it is hard to put the car in gear. When I push in the clutch, it squeaks, almost like a squeaky belt.

The pivot of the pedal squeeks or the clutch squeaks with the rotation of the engine when your foot is resting or pushing on the pedal?

Pivot squeak = normal
Rotational squeak = bad throw out bearing.
phonedawgz

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-08-2010 12:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for phonedawgzClick Here to visit phonedawgz's HomePageSend a Private Message to phonedawgzDirect Link to This Post

phonedawgz

17091 posts
Member since Dec 2009
If you can shift ok with the engine off, but can't with the engine running that means you're not getting a full release of the clutch.

You need 1" to 1 1/16" travel of the slave for full release. Take a piece of wood and jam it between the pushrod of the slave and the swingarm of the clutch. This will make the slave cylinder have as small of an area as possible so it doesn't tend to hold the bubbles. Of course take the wood out before you try to push the pedal to use the clutch.

It's a bltch to get it bled Try using the gravity method. Make sure the master is above the slave. Open the bleeder and let the fluid flow (with block in place) Make sure you don't run out of fluid in the master. Tap on the slave a bit with a screwdriver to dislodge any bubbles. Sometimes taking the bleeder all the way out and having someone push a bit to get the last air out works also. Put the bleeder back in and tightened before the assistant takes his foot off of the pedal.

[This message has been edited by phonedawgz (edited 09-08-2010).]

the300zxmaster

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-08-2010 03:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for the300zxmasterSend a Private Message to the300zxmasterDirect Link to This Post

The pivot of the pedal squeeks or the clutch squeaks with the rotation of the engine when your foot is resting or pushing on the pedal?

Pivot squeak = normal
Rotational squeak = bad throw out bearing.

Its the throw out bearing making the noise.

phonedawgz

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-08-2010 04:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for phonedawgzClick Here to visit phonedawgz's HomePageSend a Private Message to phonedawgzDirect Link to This Post
Damn - the easiest way to replace the throw out bearing is to drop the cradle. Just think about it for now. Maybe the noise will go away. Maybe you will find other things you want to correct if/when you drop the cradle.

Dropping the cradle IS the easiest way to do it. Any other way ends up being much more work. As long as it's only making noise for now drive it and see what happens.
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 22 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20   21   22 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock