Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions
  Manual Transmission Identification With Pics (Page 1)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 4 pages long:  1   2   3   4 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
Manual Transmission Identification With Pics by buddycraigg
Started on: 06-05-2005 11:43 PM
Replies: 138 (37112 views)
Last post by: hobbywrench on 12-06-2020 02:55 PM
buddycraigg

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 478
Rate this member

Report this Post06-05-2005 11:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for buddycraiggSend a Private Message to buddycraiggEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
manual tranny id

The Muncie 4 speed.

Only has 2 pieces to it’s case so it does NOT have an end cap.

The cables run over the top side by side.

The cables are held in this bracket and use two spring metal clips in the shape of a “U” to hold them in place

The 84 4 speed case has brackets for cables used in FWD cars cast in to it's case.

The 85 and up case does not have the cable brackets.

The 84 case is smooth.

The 85 and up case has fins cast in it to make it stronger.

[This message has been edited by buddycraigg (edited 11-03-2005).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
buddycraigg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-05-2005 11:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for buddycraiggSend a Private Message to buddycraiggEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The Isuzu 5 speed

Has three pieces to it’s case and has a large aluminum end cap.

The cables run over the top side by side.

The cables are held in this bracket that has a single bolt running through the center of it.

It has a reverse light switch on the top next to three large bolts.

buddycraigg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-05-2005 11:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for buddycraiggSend a Private Message to buddycraiggEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

buddycraigg

13595 posts
Member since Jul 2002
The Getrag 5 speed

Has three pieces to it’s case and has a flat IRON end plate. (you can check it with a magnet)

The cables run one over the top

and one from the bottom.

* * * thanks to rubyredfiero for the pic* * *

The top cable is held in place by this bracket

It has a reverse light switch above three tube like humps.

[This message has been edited by buddycraigg (edited 06-07-2005).]

lurker

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 236
Rate this member

Report this Post06-06-2005 01:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for lurkerSend a Private Message to lurkerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
excellent post, buggycraidd

oops, dyslexic moment, sorry.
i'll leave it for grins.

[This message has been edited by lurker (edited 06-06-2005).]

rims05

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-06-2005 01:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rims05Send a Private Message to rims05Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
nice, this just might be the end of the "tell me what transmission i have" threads lol,

always like to see info before its asked for that means you know what your doing

Travis

jelly2m8

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 243
Rate this member

Report this Post06-06-2005 02:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jelly2m8Send a Private Message to jelly2m8Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Excellent post buddy, this one needs to be stuck in a faq.
buddycraigg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-06-2005 02:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for buddycraiggSend a Private Message to buddycraiggEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by lurker:

excellent post, buggycraidd

mmmm
double D's
i can only wish...

at least you got two Gs in there somewhere

[This message has been edited by buddycraigg (edited 06-06-2005).]

HellYes

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-06-2005 02:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for HellYesSend a Private Message to HellYesEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Great info + for you.
1MohrFiero

Feedback score:    (37)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 157
Rate this member

Report this Post06-06-2005 07:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 1MohrFieroSend a Private Message to 1MohrFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Great thread Buddy with two Ds. But help me out here my 87 GT trans looks more like a getrag than an isuzu and has a metal plate but the dipstick is located about wher the connector hangs in this picture.

The following picture isnt mine but this is the same trans. I have circled the dipsstick. Yes I believe mine is stock. The car only has 68,000 miles on it.

So is this an early gertrag or later one? Thanks,

------------------

buddycraigg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-06-2005 07:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for buddycraiggSend a Private Message to buddycraiggEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 1MohrFiero:
my 87 GT trans looks more like a getrag than an isuzu and has a metal plate but the dipstick is located about wher the connector hangs in this picture.

So is this an early gertrag or later one? Thanks,

a 86 and up GT would have had a getrag in it so thats why it looks like one.
and I never have been able to make any sence out of the whole dip stick thing, some had em, some didn't
(that's why i didn't mention it) but thanks for bringing it up.

cowans

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-06-2005 08:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cowansSend a Private Message to cowansEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Good Post Buddy!
I used to think that it would be a Getrag if the tranny had a 'dipstick'. WRONG! I am presently using a 90 Cavalier (Isuzu) tranny that has a DIPSTICK, just behind the speedo generator!
Sandy
PFF
System Bot
KissMySSFiero

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 111
Rate this member

Report this Post06-06-2005 09:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for KissMySSFieroSend a Private Message to KissMySSFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
1MohrFiero,
Some getrags have a dipstick that screws into the case. The trans in that pic is a getrag.
buddycraigg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-06-2005 09:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for buddycraiggSend a Private Message to buddycraiggEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
still would like a pic of the getrag with the cables in place if anybodys got one.
i've been searching peoples build up threads but haven't found any with the cables.

between that and looking at the Dells pic the IT guys are gonna wonder why i'm using up all the bandwidth

Kohburn

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 188
Rate this member

Report this Post06-06-2005 10:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for KohburnSend a Private Message to KohburnEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
may want to show the ribbed 85+ 4speed vs smooth 84- 4speed
buddycraigg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-06-2005 11:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for buddycraiggSend a Private Message to buddycraiggEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Kohburn:

may want to show the ribbed 85+ 4speed vs smooth 84- 4speed

i thought about it and most people just want to know which of the three they have.
remember, "keep it simple, make it fun"

1MohrFiero

Feedback score:    (37)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 157
Rate this member

Report this Post06-06-2005 01:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 1MohrFieroSend a Private Message to 1MohrFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by KissMySSFiero:

1MohrFiero,
Some getrags have a dipstick that screws into the case. The trans in that pic is a getrag.

I beleieved it was one but like Buddy said the whole dipstick thing is confusing. One person told me it wasn't because the dipstick has to be in the other place (like the top picture) to be a getrag. I wish I knew it all.

Fie Ro

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 132
Rate this member

Report this Post06-06-2005 02:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fie RoSend a Private Message to Fie RoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
great post!....but your 'getrag' pictures....is that really a getrag?! I started wondering when I saw the other pics so I checked my (87) getrag...it has the dipstick and is the same type 1MohrFiero posted. I also recall the getrag's have their backup switch mounted to the shifter in the midconsole, not at the transmission.....when you look at the picture the only electrical connection is the speedsensor....

I might be wrong but I thought all the getrags were the same...?
buddycraigg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-06-2005 05:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for buddycraiggSend a Private Message to buddycraiggEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Fie Ro:

great post!....but your 'getrag' pictures....is that really a getrag?! I started wondering when I saw the other pics so I checked my (87) getrag...it has the dipstick and is the same type 1MohrFiero posted. I also recall the getrag's have their backup switch mounted to the shifter in the midconsole, not at the transmission.....when you look at the picture the only electrical connection is the speedsensor....

I might be wrong but I thought all the getrags were the same...?

your right all getrags are the same, minus some had a dipstick and some didn't.

if you look where the blue arrows are pointing i bet you will find two grey or black wires that will lead to about where the green spot is.
of course you wouldn't be able to see the sensor without your Spytech X-ray glasses cause it's hidden by the shift arm in this pic

rubyredfiero

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 58
Rate this member

Report this Post06-07-2005 09:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rubyredfieroSend a Private Message to rubyredfieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
buddycraigg - As requested I took a pic of the cables from my car for your use. Hope it's adequate.

buddycraigg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-22-2005 03:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for buddycraiggSend a Private Message to buddycraiggEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by rubyredfiero:

buddycraigg - As requested I took a pic of the cables from my car for your use. Hope it's adequate.

i see a dipstick in the lower left corner in this pic.

theratdude64

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-08-2005 01:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for theratdude64Send a Private Message to theratdude64Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
what is that big round plug on the isuzu just below the end of the blue arrow? The fiero I'm getting has those wires cut I can fix it, just wondering what it is

I'm thinking its reverse light or something, but it could be VSS or Neutral Safety Switch, so I figured I'd ask the professional Fiero people

[This message has been edited by theratdude64 (edited 10-08-2005).]

PFF
System Bot
Jncomutt

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 221
Rate this member

Report this Post10-08-2005 12:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JncomuttSend a Private Message to JncomuttEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The round plug closest to the output for the pass. side axle is the VSS. It's in that same spot for the 4speed too...
buddycraigg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-08-2005 02:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for buddycraiggSend a Private Message to buddycraiggEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
look at it again,
someone cut VSS wires on this car too.
arte444

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 151
Rate this member

Report this Post10-08-2005 10:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for arte444Send a Private Message to arte444Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Great thread. Answered at least 7 questions I had. One more question though. Is the rear transmission mount for the 5spd isuzu #2467 for my 87 4cyl?

What do the other transmission moutns look like? I have the th-125 in my car right now so I have the side mount instead of the front and rear I guess =x. Maybe I should start a thread.

------------------
-Kyle
Email: arte@sek-c.com
Aim: Littlechugger
1987 Notchback 4cyl. (Running Good!)
1992 Corsica 3.1L GT =P

stalen88GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-09-2005 12:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for stalen88GTSend a Private Message to stalen88GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Great info.
theratdude64

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-10-2005 11:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theratdude64Send a Private Message to theratdude64Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by buddycraigg:

look at it again,
someone cut VSS wires on this car too.

Dangit, I stopped getting notifications of threads :'( what did I do wrong? anyone know? Sorry otherwise I woulda replied earlier.

I went back and looked at the car again, and it was clipped right at the connector housing. So I dont really see a way to Solder/Splice em back together. Is the best bet to hit up a junkyard or something?

[This message has been edited by theratdude64 (edited 10-10-2005).]

Saxman

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 114
Rate this member

Report this Post10-10-2005 11:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SaxmanClick Here to visit Saxman's HomePageSend a Private Message to SaxmanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for the great info!

So, where is the reverse light switch on the 4-speed? Thanks!

[This message has been edited by Saxman (edited 10-10-2005).]

Jncomutt

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 221
Rate this member

Report this Post10-11-2005 12:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JncomuttSend a Private Message to JncomuttEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Saxman:

So, where is the reverse light switch on the 4-speed? Thanks!

On the shifter assembly under the shift console.

buddycraigg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-21-2005 03:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for buddycraiggSend a Private Message to buddycraiggEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by arte444:

Great thread. Answered at least 7 questions I had. One more question though. Is the rear transmission mount for the 5spd isuzu #2467 for my 87 4cyl?

What do the other transmission moutns look like? I have the th-125 in my car right now so I have the side mount instead of the front and rear I guess =x. Maybe I should start a thread.

i think the rubber mount part is the same.
it's the metal part bolted to the trannys that are different.

[This message has been edited by buddycraigg (edited 11-03-2005).]

buddycraigg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-03-2005 11:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for buddycraiggSend a Private Message to buddycraiggEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
updated to show the difference in the 84 and later 4speed cases.
Alex4mula

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 153
Rate this member

Report this Post11-03-2005 12:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Alex4mulaSend a Private Message to Alex4mulaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Great info! + to you. Basically with the case differences you cn tell right away.

------------------
Palm Beach Fieros
http://pbfieros.tripod.com

PFF
System Bot
Spiff

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 63
Rate this member

Report this Post01-08-2006 08:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SpiffClick Here to visit Spiff's HomePageSend a Private Message to SpiffEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I think this should be a Sticky. Alot of good info here.
GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-19-2006 12:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GTSend a Private Message to GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Does anyone have a photo or drawing of the routing of the Getrag shift cables? I know where they hook up but I'm not sure how they are routed from the firewall to the tranny. I'm just trying to get a factory look and this is an auto to Getrag conversion.

Thanks
-Rick

Chris88GT

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post03-19-2006 10:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Chris88GTSend a Private Message to Chris88GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Question? If there is no dipstick hole, where do you put in tranny fluid. This is where i fill mine and the only other hole is the drain hole. You cant put fluid in that way!
buddycraigg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-20-2006 01:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for buddycraiggSend a Private Message to buddycraiggEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Chris88GT:

Question? If there is no dipstick hole, where do you put in tranny fluid. This is where i fill mine and the only other hole is the drain hole. You cant put fluid in that way!

the speedo gear has "low" and "high" marks on it, and you fill it through the speed sensor hole.

[This message has been edited by buddycraigg (edited 03-20-2006).]

Fierobsessed

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 147
Rate this member

Report this Post03-20-2006 01:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FierobsessedSend a Private Message to FierobsessedEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Finally an idiot's guide to identifying the four manual Fiero transmissions.

If it's an automatic, its easy, THM 125-C.

ducattiman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-20-2006 01:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ducattimanSend a Private Message to ducattimanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
really craig a high + for u...very well put and u just cant go wrong with ur post
2-tone

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-20-2006 02:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2-toneSend a Private Message to 2-toneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
some of the very early getregs had an aluminum cover. but it was very flat like the steel cover.

------------------
88 coupe 4.9 Izusu 5-speed Rockcrawl chip. True duels.No A/C .KYB GR-2 on all 4 corners Built to run.

fieroman_5000

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-20-2006 03:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroman_5000Send a Private Message to fieroman_5000Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hmm...so if I have the Getrag the reverse light switch is in/on the tranny, right? So that means I can't easily route a manual 'override' switch for it in the cabin like a 4 spd? Just for those people who drive too 'close'

~Shane

Joseph Upson

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 88
Rate this member

Report this Post03-20-2006 04:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Joseph UpsonSend a Private Message to Joseph UpsonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
So are all of the four speed transmissions Muncie and therefore relatively strong from 1985 up?
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 4 pages long:  1   2   3   4 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock