Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions
  Manual Transmission Identification With Pics (Page 2)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 4 pages long:  1   2   3   4 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
Manual Transmission Identification With Pics by buddycraigg
Started on: 06-05-2005 11:43 PM
Replies: 138 (37160 views)
Last post by: hobbywrench on 12-06-2020 02:55 PM
befarrer

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 61
Rate this member

Report this Post03-21-2006 01:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for befarrerSend a Private Message to befarrerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I just want to add, that I have a Getrac 282 on my Fiero with the Quad 4 bellhousing, but other than that, it is the same as in this pic. Also, this pic shows where the dipstick is on the later Getrac's, at the far right side, it has a black top on it, above and to the right of the the driveshaft holes, it says trans fill on it. I think it was around the 88 model year when the started coming in. My tranny is a 90.

Also, to note, some of the later Getrac's like mine have an internal clutch arm. The slave bolts right to the bellhousing on the tranny, and the clutch arm is inside the bellhousing. But this is only on later Getrac's, and were never factory on Fiero's, so if you have this style, your tranny is not stock, apart from this, they are practically identical:

------------------

84 Fiero Sport Coupe #1192 :: 86 Fiero Base Coupe Quad 4 HO :: 84 Chevette CS 4 Door 1.6L HO
I got 2 HO's!!

[This message has been edited by befarrer (edited 03-21-2006).]

IP: Logged
Flyguyeddy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-21-2006 01:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FlyguyeddySend a Private Message to FlyguyeddyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
what is the difference in the NVG trannies and the HM282? i am recieving a transmission out of a w41 car (i believe it was an achieva scx) and i am curious as to the differences.
YELLOWFIERO88

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-26-2006 12:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for YELLOWFIERO88Click Here to visit YELLOWFIERO88's HomePageSend a Private Message to YELLOWFIERO88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just a bump for a great thread

------------------

88COUPE
88GT 3.4SC
88GT T-TOP
87GT VERT (build in progress)

DA COUPE build thread

VERT build thread

CINCYMOTORSPORTS.ORG

FunnyWheels

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-19-2006 05:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FunnyWheelsClick Here to visit FunnyWheels's HomePageSend a Private Message to FunnyWheelsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I wonder if you can assist with an answer to a Getrag question?

I have an 87 Getrag 282 (screw in dip stick model out of a Fiero attached to a 3800 V6) I have broken the bell housing by not using a dog bone to stabilize the engine under hard acceleration therefore I have to replace it. I have all of the trick stuff for the Fiero from Rodney Dickman but I am having trouble locating a replacement 282 Fiero Getrag transaxle. I would like to locate a Fiero Getrag but it is not looking good at the moment.

I understand that the new Getrag 282's will work if I install the shifter from Rodney to convert it from a FWD to a Fiero set up. My question is what models will fit the 3800 engine I have installed. I have confusing information stating the Quad Four Getrag will not bolt up, so what newer transaxles can be used? In addition, do the newer transaxles have the different VSS in them to communicate with my 3800 ECM?

Any information will help.

Regards,

Dave
Joseph Upson

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 88
Rate this member

Report this Post06-19-2006 05:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Joseph UpsonSend a Private Message to Joseph UpsonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Anything from a 60 degree V6 which is what you want will bolt up, the Quad engine was an Oldsmobile, so although it's GM it has a different bell housing and gearing, the rest of the transmission is pretty much the same. The later transaxles for the most part will have the later style of speed sensing, I have one from a 92 Beretta. Check this site, they may be able to narrow your search; http://car-part.com/
Tha Driver

Feedback score:    (46)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 204
Rate this member

Report this Post10-06-2006 12:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Tha DriverClick Here to visit Tha Driver's HomePageSend a Private Message to Tha DriverEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
OK so looking at the pics I *definately* have a Isuzu (& that's what I thought - it came out of a wrecked '88 4 cyl.). But I've got it in the "VW Project" along with the shifter & cable from the same car & I can only find 4 gears & reverse. What is the pattern supposed to be?
1 3 R
2 4
Is what it appears to be.
~ Paul
aka "Tha Driver"

Hey Leroy, what'cha doin' dragging that chain across the floor?
Leroy: "Ever tried *pushing* a chain?"
buddycraigg

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 478
Rate this member

Report this Post10-06-2006 04:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for buddycraiggSend a Private Message to buddycraiggEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
1-3-5
-N-
2-4-.-R

[This message has been edited by buddycraigg (edited 10-06-2006).]

Tha Driver

Feedback score:    (46)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 204
Rate this member

Report this Post10-06-2006 10:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Tha DriverClick Here to visit Tha Driver's HomePageSend a Private Message to Tha DriverEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Cool. Reverse was difficult to get the first time, but after a little tugging it went in & now it all shifts just fine. Thanks.
Can't wait to get this car running (pics coming soon).
~ Paul
aka "Tha Driver"

Why do they call it reckless driving if it causes wrecks?
1986GTV8

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-08-2006 07:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 1986GTV8Send a Private Message to 1986GTV8Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Can we add the diffrent styles of transaxle mounts to this thread?

I am doing a 5spd swap in my GT, and am certain that the 4spd mounts will not work.

Just to add a little more info.

Solid mounts would be nice too.

GREAT thread.

John
1warlock

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-08-2006 04:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 1warlockSend a Private Message to 1warlockEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
This was my first post and I must say the answers were outstanding, timely and complete. I copied the picture of my getrag so I can make sure it's back properly and complete. Again thanks !!!
frankenfiero1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-09-2006 09:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for frankenfiero1Send a Private Message to frankenfiero1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
buddycraig, is it true that the 4 peed muncie in an 84 SE is the 4.10 ratio? I do not have an RPO sticker in it.
PFF
System Bot
buddycraigg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-10-2006 11:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for buddycraiggSend a Private Message to buddycraiggEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 1986GTV8:

Can we add the diffrent styles of transaxle mounts to this thread?

I am doing a 5spd swap in my GT, and am certain that the 4spd mounts will not work.

Just to add a little more info.

Solid mounts would be nice too.

GREAT thread.

John

the rubber mounts are the same, the metal brackets that bolt to the trannys are different.
buddycraigg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-10-2006 11:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for buddycraiggSend a Private Message to buddycraiggEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

buddycraigg

13602 posts
Member since Jul 2002

Originally posted by frankenfiero1:

buddycraig, is it true that the 4 peed muncie in an 84 SE is the 4.10 ratio? I do not have an RPO sticker in it.

unless you have a completely stripped down base coupe you can pretty much bet that you have the 4.10.
KlingonFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-06-2007 04:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KlingonFieroClick Here to visit KlingonFiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to KlingonFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by buddycraigg:

unless you have a completely stripped down base coupe you can pretty much bet that you have the 4.10.

I am sorry to interrupt, but that is not always true.

I have had 4 '84's and i got the 4.10 in both of the SE's but the 3.83? in the "sport" coupe and the standard car.

My understanding was that only the SE's came with the 4.10 gears??? Easy enough to check the RPO codes, you would be looking for a ( MI9 or a MY9 ) Sorry, I cannot remember the exact code.
buddycraigg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-06-2007 06:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for buddycraiggSend a Private Message to buddycraiggEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by KlingonFiero:

I am sorry to interrupt, but that is not always true.

I have had 4 '84's and i got the 4.10 in both of the SE's but the 3.83? in the "sport" coupe and the standard car.

My understanding was that only the SE's came with the 4.10 gears??? Easy enough to check the RPO codes, you would be looking for a ( MI9 or a MY9 ) Sorry, I cannot remember the exact code.

If so, then you had two cars that GM never claimed to have made
I will quote page 4-3 from the front half of the P book

"TRANSMISSION IDENTIFICATION
ASSEMBLY CODE TO TRANSMISSION

NA-MY8
PF-MD9
UM-M19

CD-MD9
PF-MD9
UA-MY7
5ZH-MT2

5UA-M17
6CD-MD9
6PF-MD9

7CPC-MD9
7PSC-MD9
5ZH-MT2
ZNH-MG2

8CPC-MD9
8PSC-MD9
8ZL-MG2"

MY8 is 3.32
MD9 is the auto
M19 is 4.10
KlingonFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-07-2007 06:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KlingonFieroClick Here to visit KlingonFiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to KlingonFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

If so, then you had two cars that GM never claimed to have made
I will quote page 4-3 from the front half of the P book

"TRANSMISSION IDENTIFICATION
ASSEMBLY CODE TO TRANSMISSION

NA-MY8
PF-MD9
UM-M19

CD-MD9
PF-MD9
UA-MY7
5ZH-MT2

5UA-M17
6CD-MD9
6PF-MD9

7CPC-MD9
7PSC-MD9
5ZH-MT2
ZNH-MG2

8CPC-MD9
8PSC-MD9
8ZL-MG2"

MY8 is 3.32
MD9 is the auto
M19 is 4.10

Not sure exactly what you mean??? I put a question mark on the "3.83" in my original post, because i couldn't remember the exact ratio, i gather it is supposed to be 3.32. The 3.32 tranny came in a base coupe and a "sport" coupe. Both of the SE's (including the one i am currently driving) has the 4.10 trans.

Are you saying that GM did not produce a Fiero in 1984 with the 3.32 trans ? Or ???

Not trying to start a fight, just want to make sure I understand the info you put up.
buddycraigg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-12-2007 10:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for buddycraiggSend a Private Message to buddycraiggEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
i'm sorry i didn't know that "?" = "i couldn't remember the exact ratio". Just a misunderstanding from the incorrect gear ratios.

i typed out the stuff from the P book for the RPO code information

even the stripped down models could be ordered with the "performance" transmission.
Unfortunately, the 84 base coupe i have is one of them. I was hoping it would have the 3.32 tranny

[This message has been edited by buddycraigg (edited 02-12-2007).]

ICouldaBeenAV8
From: Chatsworth, California; Clearwater, Florida, and Milwaukee, Wisc.

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-12-2007 06:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ICouldaBeenAV8Send a Private Message to ICouldaBeenAV8Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Bump for a very informative thread.
buddycraigg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-12-2007 08:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for buddycraiggSend a Private Message to buddycraiggEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
holy poop!

i just noticed there are different ratios for the auto.

i've got to take a pic of these pages.

[This message has been edited by buddycraigg (edited 02-13-2007).]

KlingonFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-12-2007 09:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KlingonFieroClick Here to visit KlingonFiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to KlingonFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

i'm sorry i didn't know that "?" = "i couldn't remember the exact ratio". Just a misunderstanding from the incorrect gear ratios.

No Problem, I should have been more clear.

i typed out the stuff from the P book for the RPO code information

I have never seen the P book, in the section for the 84:

NA-MY8
PF-MD9
UM-M19

What does the first part mean? i.e.: "NA", "PF", & "UM"

even the stripped down models could be ordered with the "performance" transmission.
Unfortunately, the 84 base coupe i have is one of them. I was hoping it would have the 3.32 tranny

Very cool, I did not know that. So far, every 84 that I have run across, only the SE's have had the M19 code... Have yet to actually lay my own eyes on an non-SE '84 with that code.

Thanks a lot for this post. I know that I have found it very useful and have already printed out the info on the ratios and the few pics to ID a tranny...

Discovered I already gave you a plus
buddycraigg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-13-2007 07:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for buddycraiggSend a Private Message to buddycraiggEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
a little off topic, but i just discovered there are different gear ratios in the automatics
sorry the pics are sideways. i had to keep them as big as possible to be able to read them.

PFF
System Bot
aji

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-13-2007 09:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ajiSend a Private Message to ajiEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Wow, excellent post and thanks to all for the research time!

Thank you
buddycraigg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-03-2007 04:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for buddycraiggSend a Private Message to buddycraiggEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by KlingonFiero:
What does the first part mean? i.e.: "NA", "PF", & "UM"

I’ve always heard them called “build codes”

They are printed on a 8 ½ X 11 sheet of white paper and then folded in to quarters and stuck in the wire springs of the back part of the back seat of just about every GM car I’ve ever seen built before 1987-ish.

I have yet to figure out where GM “hid” them in the fiero.
Toaster_Man

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-03-2007 04:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Toaster_ManSend a Private Message to Toaster_ManEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Knowing GM, the 14th floor probably told them that the build sheets had to be thrown away because there was no back seat to put them in.

Seriously though, ask the vette guys where they find their build sheets at, ours probably won't be too far away. My buddy found his under the wires on the driver's seat on his 88 Trans Am.

------------------

Don't look now, but I think the idiots have taken over the asylum.

AIM: JSAL86

jweisman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-03-2007 07:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jweismanSend a Private Message to jweismanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have found paper work taped to the insulation behind the door panels before, but I'm not sure if it's the build sheet or not
DEMONCHILD

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-03-2007 08:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DEMONCHILDSend a Private Message to DEMONCHILDEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
ok i have a 4 spd munci in an 86 se 2.8......ok i bought a replacement long ago an when it got here it wasnt even the same tranny as pictured on ebay and it also looked nothin like my munci can anyone identify it? and are the parts from this tranny compatible with mine cus my munci has some shift problems and it needs repaired or replaced and sofar i cannot find a suitable replacement

pics of what i was told to be a replacement to my munci on ebay

[This message has been edited by DEMONCHILD (edited 03-03-2007).]

buddycraigg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-03-2007 09:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for buddycraiggSend a Private Message to buddycraiggEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by DEMONCHILD:

ok i have a 4 spd munci in an 86 se 2.8......ok i bought a replacement long ago an when it got here it wasnt even the same tranny as pictured on ebay and it also looked nothin like my munci can anyone identify it? and are the parts from this tranny compatible with mine cus my munci has some shift problems and it needs repaired or replaced and sofar i cannot find a suitable replacement

pics of what i was told to be a replacement to my munci on ebay

that's an isuzu,
you will need the metal brackets from the tranny to the rubber mounts,
the shifter inside the car,
the shift cables,
the clutch slave and mount bracket.
and then re wire your car so the reverse light switch on the tranny can be used.
DEMONCHILD

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-03-2007 09:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DEMONCHILDSend a Private Message to DEMONCHILDEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
the thing is i have none of those parts from the car it came out of and i dont kno what kind of car it came out of either
buddycraigg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-04-2007 04:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for buddycraiggSend a Private Message to buddycraiggEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
85 and up 4cylinder should have the parts you need.
Steven Snyder

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 106
Rate this member

Report this Post03-04-2007 05:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Steven SnyderClick Here to visit Steven Snyder's HomePageSend a Private Message to Steven SnyderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It will probably be easier and cheaper to just get the right transmission.
151 racer

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-04-2007 06:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 151 racerSend a Private Message to 151 racerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Great post, but I would like to know if there is a way to identify the M19 transmission with the 4:10 gear ratio from looking at the case?
PFF
System Bot
buddycraigg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-04-2007 09:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for buddycraiggSend a Private Message to buddycraiggEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 151 racer:

Great post, but I would like to know if there is a way to identify the M19 transmission with the 4:10 gear ratio from looking at the case?

no, you cant tell from a MY8
Gonzo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-29-2007 05:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GonzoSend a Private Message to GonzoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have No history on this car.
I can't get mine into reverse.
I found this thread doing a search. My 85 Gt shows the shift pattern on the consloe as a 4 spd. But looking at this thread and the pics I have a Isuzu 5spd.
How can I tell if I have the right shifter.
Making me wonder if someone changed the tranny and not the shifter.
Also what's the shift pattern for the 5spd.
Thank you
buddycraigg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-29-2007 06:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for buddycraiggSend a Private Message to buddycraiggEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Gonzo:

I have No history on this car.
I can't get mine into reverse.
I found this thread doing a search. My 85 Gt shows the shift pattern on the consloe as a 4 spd. But looking at this thread and the pics I have a Isuzu 5spd.
How can I tell if I have the right shifter.

i think archie or rodney has a thread showing the differences in the shifters.
cause he was looking to buy them

the way i tell if it's a 4 speed shifter is it has the reverse light switch on it.

Also what's the shift pattern for the 5spd.
Thank you

1-3-5
-N-
2-4-.-R

Gonzo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-29-2007 08:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GonzoSend a Private Message to GonzoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I finally got it into reverse. The car has been sitting for 2 years outside. I just kept messing with it and now it goes in fine. It is the 5 spd. But I still belive it's been changed. The reverse light plug at the tranny is not plugged in. And I can't find anything to plug it to near the tranny.
Did a Isuzu 5spd. come in an 85 GT 2.8? I need to put a clutch in and I looked on The Fiero store getting prices. I Only see the 5 spd. listed for 86 - 88. Pt# 54007. So going by that the tranny must be out of an 86 up. Am I right?
Like I said I know NO history on this car other then it sat for 2 years. And these are somewhat new to me so learning.
Thank you

[This message has been edited by Gonzo (edited 07-29-2007).]

buddycraigg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-29-2007 11:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for buddycraiggSend a Private Message to buddycraiggEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
the isuzu 5 speed only came on 4 cylinder cars.
if you have a V6 someone put it in there.
Gonzo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-30-2007 08:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for GonzoSend a Private Message to GonzoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
OK I took some pics.
This images is larger than 102400 bytes. Click to view.

If this is the Isuzu 5spd. You say it only came in a 4cly. car. Would it bolt up to a v6. Isn't the bellhousing different?
PS: what do you use to post pics here

[This message has been edited by Gonzo (edited 07-30-2007).]

buddycraigg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-30-2007 09:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for buddycraiggSend a Private Message to buddycraiggEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

If this is the Isuzu 5spd. You say it only came in a 4cly. car. Would it bolt up to a v6.

yes

Isn't the bellhousing different?

no

PS: what do you use to post pics here

https://www.fiero.nl/forum/A...070315-1-059716.html
Gonzo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-30-2007 09:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for GonzoSend a Private Message to GonzoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thank you.
Kind of makes me wonder what else has been changed. Like the engine.
perry rhodan

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-23-2007 11:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for perry rhodanClick Here to visit perry rhodan's HomePageSend a Private Message to perry rhodanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Bump!
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 4 pages long:  1   2   3   4 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock