Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions
  Manual Transmission Identification With Pics (Page 4)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 4 pages long:  1   2   3   4 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
Manual Transmission Identification With Pics by buddycraigg
Started on: 06-05-2005 11:43 PM
Replies: 138 (37160 views)
Last post by: hobbywrench on 12-06-2020 02:55 PM
Marine1981

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-24-2012 03:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Marine1981Click Here to visit Marine1981's HomePageSend a Private Message to Marine1981Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Bump for a great thread. + To Buddycraig
IP: Logged
fierocarparts

Feedback score:    (66)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-05-2013 11:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierocarpartsSend a Private Message to fierocarpartsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
bump for a great resource.
Mark A. Klein

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-14-2014 11:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mark A. KleinSend a Private Message to Mark A. KleinEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Does anybody have the Old Rodney Dickman external support needle bearings for sale? Does anybody know of the proper axles (where to find them) that had the passenger side support that bolted to the engine? They came off another FWD vehicle. Just looking to build the best transmission that I can...
vEnOm

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-25-2014 03:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for vEnOmSend a Private Message to vEnOmEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Mark A. Klein:

Does anybody have the Old Rodney Dickman external support needle bearings for sale?

Mark, Fiero Store still sell them. See here -> http://www.fierostore.com/P...20BEARINGS&d=160&p=1
85 SE VIN 9

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-08-2015 05:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 85 SE VIN 9Send a Private Message to 85 SE VIN 9Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Not to rain on anybody's parade, but what is this:

It's in my 85 GT. PO said it wasn't original trans, but I don't remember the rest of the story.
David Hambleton

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-04-2015 11:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for David HambletonSend a Private Message to David HambletonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just to add a little confusion to the transmission identification thread, the factory 5 speed in my Formula that is called a Getrag still has the Muncie sticker on it...

olejoedad

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post09-05-2015 12:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by David Hambleton:

Just to add a little confusion to the transmission identification thread, the factory 5 speed in my Formula that is called a Getrag still has the Muncie sticker on it...

Because the Getrag was made in Muncie, IN at Muncie Gear. So were the 4 speeds.

Gall757

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post09-05-2015 10:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by David Hambleton:

Lets try to reduce the confusion just for the record. General Motors Had a factory in Muncie, Indiana that they called Chevrolet/Muncie. It produced all sorts of parts over the years including transmissions. When Pontiac wanted a 5-speed that was stronger than the Isuzu, they made a deal to use a design owned by the Getrag Corp. of Germany. Getrag sold the design, but the factory in Muncie actually built the transmissions. So the 4 speed and the 5 speed Getrag were all built by Chevrolet/Muncie. GM closed the plant in 2006.

There was another business in Muncie, Indiana called the Muncie Gear Works. They built outboard motors and parts. (one brand name was NEPTUNE).
olejoedad

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post09-05-2015 11:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for the clarification Gall. My across the street neighbor used to work at Warner Gear and built Fiero transmissions.
He was a real grouchy old cuss, always complaining about how much he had to pay in taxes.....
Pappy

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-28-2015 12:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PappySend a Private Message to PappyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 85 SE VIN 9:

Not to rain on anybody's parade, but what is this:

It's in my 85 GT. PO said it wasn't original trans, but I don't remember the rest of the story.

I know this is a bit old but me thinks that's a 4 speed Muncie most likely the M17

[This message has been edited by Pappy (edited 09-28-2015).]

85wickedfiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-11-2015 08:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 85wickedfieroSend a Private Message to 85wickedfieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hello all, I'm new to fieros. I've owned mine for 3 months now, and I have LOTS of question and one of them is, I have an 85 notch 4spd and I want a 5spd to replace my half gone 4spd. What is the best solution and parts????
PFF
System Bot
fierofool

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post10-11-2015 09:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Isuzu or Getrag will bolt right up. The only other thing you'll need is a different slave if you use a Getrag, different shifter and cables with either and a different throwout bearing with either. I'm not positive, but you might need a transmission mount specific to the transmission. You will need to rewire your backup lights to work with the 5-speeds. Your switch is on the shifter. The 5-speeds are in the transmission.

The Getrag is stronger if you plan to beat on it, but they are less plentiful and more expensive. The Isuzu was available in all 85-88 manual 4-cylinders, is very plentiful and cheaper. The Isuzu uses the same slave as the 85 4-speed. Final gearing in both are almost identical.
longjonsilver

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-03-2020 06:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for longjonsilverClick Here to visit longjonsilver's HomePageSend a Private Message to longjonsilverEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You know how everybody tells you not to drop the gear from the VSS into the tranny? Well i just did. But i fished it out with a needle nosed pliers. Question: which way does it go on? Is the gear close to or far from the VSS?

Like A:

Or like B:

jon

------------------
Astronomy says we will find a coded signal from outer space. Then we'll KNOW that life exists there, for coded signals aren't by chance.

Biology says there are coded genetic signals in every cell, but we KNOW that no intelligence created life.

I'm the original owner of a white ' 84 2M4 purchased Dec 10, 1983 from Pontiac. Always garaged, no rust, 4-wheel drifts are fun!

[This message has been edited by longjonsilver (edited 12-03-2020).]

pmbrunelle

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post12-03-2020 10:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pmbrunelleSend a Private Message to pmbrunelleEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It's oriented like A.
willyt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-04-2020 08:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for willytSend a Private Message to willytEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have an 86 SE Getrag, but my dipstick is the “Trans Fill†style, not the screw in style. Does this mean I have a replacement 88 trans??
longjonsilver

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-04-2020 10:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for longjonsilverClick Here to visit longjonsilver's HomePageSend a Private Message to longjonsilverEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
"They" say that the add and full lines are on the VSS. But i don't see any lines. Where are they relative to the wheel? Secondly, does the color of the wheel indicate which tranny it goes to?

jon

------------------
Astronomy says we will find a coded signal from outer space. Then we'll KNOW that life exists there, for coded signals aren't by chance.

Biology says there are coded genetic signals in every cell, but we KNOW that no intelligence created life.

I'm the original owner of a white ' 84 2M4 purchased Dec 10, 1983 from Pontiac. Always garaged, no rust, 4-wheel drifts are fun!

Gall757

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post12-04-2020 10:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
As for gear color,this is a copy of a post from Fierosound in 2012

VSS speedo gears by tires sizes from the Fiero P22 parts manual. Pages 1-5 4.337 Group.
I combined all the data from all the years into this.

Looks like there are 2 VSS gears for manuals, and 2 for automatics. The drive gears are different, 10 tooth and 35 tooth, so I don't think the VSS gears are interchangeable between automatics and manuals. ie: using a RED gear in an automatic won't work.

MD9 TH125C Automatics will have the large GREEN 10 tooth drive gear.
The smaller VSS speedo gear will be:
BLUE 30 tooth - tire sizes P185/80R13, P185/75R14, P195/70R14, P215/60R15
WHITE 31 tooth - tire size P215/60R14

MG2 Muncie/Getrag 5-speed transmissions will have a NATURAL (tan) 35 tooth drive gear.
RED 29 tooth - tires sizes P185/80R13, P185/75R14, P195/70R14, P215/60R15
PURPLE 30 tooth - tires sizes P215/60R14

M17 Muncie 4-speed transmissions will have a NATURAL (tan) 35 tooth drive gear.

MT2 Isuzu (?) 5-speed transmissions will have a 35 tooth drive gear (color unknown).

[This message has been edited by Gall757 (edited 12-04-2020).]

fierofool

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post12-04-2020 12:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The low and full marks on the VSS are on the metal neck between the gear and main body of the VSS. There are two grooves around the neck. One for full and one for low. I don't see them on the VSS images above so they may not go all the way around. The one I have in my parts bin doesn't have marks, but the ones in both my cars do have the marks.

[This message has been edited by fierofool (edited 12-04-2020).]

hobbywrench

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-06-2020 02:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hobbywrenchSend a Private Message to hobbywrenchEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Years ago I bought a core Getrag and put bearings and synchros in it ($300 kit and many hours). Afterwards I was not pleased with rotation torque of input shaft and have never used it. It turns with about 1 ft lb which should be fractional inch lbs, I believe. Then I found an 89 Cavalier and did the installation which is one of my DD's. I have worked on several transmissions with success, but the Getrag was difficult to assemble. Anyone interested? The unit shifts properly (by hand) through all gears. You enthusiasts can help me reduce my clutter. Shipping cost is a great deterrent. Portland OR area.
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 4 pages long:  1   2   3   4 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock