Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions - Archive
  FIFI's Progress (Page 21)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 22 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20   21   22 
Previous Page | Next Page
FIFI's Progress by 86FIFI
Started on: 08-31-2010 11:27 PM
Replies: 878
Last post by: 86FIFI on 02-27-2012 06:53 AM
86FIFI

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-08-2012 02:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 86FIFISend a Private Message to 86FIFIDirect Link to This Post
Well I guess my first step will be to replace the starter.

I got a gift today, maybe I can use it to get mine running or get both running and have money to replace the motor in my truck.

IP: Logged
86FIFI

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-19-2012 08:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 86FIFISend a Private Message to 86FIFIDirect Link to This Post
Little bit of an update, got a starter on and reset the timing via the static timing method, and I'm back where I left off. Here is a video.

http://static.photobucket.c...142008/VIDEO0039.mp4
Gall757

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post01-19-2012 08:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Direct Link to This Post
The starter sounds great!
86FIFI

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-19-2012 08:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 86FIFISend a Private Message to 86FIFIDirect Link to This Post
Good to know. What now?
Gall757

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-19-2012 09:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Direct Link to This Post
What's the 'static timing method'?

I will be eating popcorn and watching....maybe Phonedawgz will show up soon.
86FIFI

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-19-2012 09:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 86FIFISend a Private Message to 86FIFIDirect Link to This Post
Where the Hell do you get all this popcorn? Haha. It's a method Phonedawgz mentioned a few pages back in this thread to get the timing close without having the vehicle running.
fierofool

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post01-23-2012 09:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolDirect Link to This Post
Matt, I have a lower intake complete with thermostat/filler neck attached. If you decide you need to replace it, let me know. Maybe we could meet up around Eatonton or Dublin.
86FIFI

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-23-2012 09:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 86FIFISend a Private Message to 86FIFIDirect Link to This Post
I still have a middle and upper intake I took off and a complete motor in the 87. I am just trying not to convert back because I don't understand how it could have gotten messed up. I will compression test it this week.
86FIFI

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-23-2012 06:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 86FIFISend a Private Message to 86FIFIDirect Link to This Post

86FIFI

749 posts
Member since Aug 2010
So i compression tested the motor, and all yeilded around 45 psi. I'm gonna try some oil in the cylinders and do it again.

Edit: after adding oil to cylinder 1 we got about 150, but after that, the valve core one the tester was allowing air through so we will have to get another core before we can do another test.

[This message has been edited by 86FIFI (edited 01-23-2012).]

86FIFI

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-24-2012 06:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 86FIFISend a Private Message to 86FIFIDirect Link to This Post
I added oil to all cylinders, and compression tested it again and all are around 150
Gall757

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-24-2012 09:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Direct Link to This Post
PFF
System Bot
86FIFI

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-24-2012 10:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 86FIFISend a Private Message to 86FIFIDirect Link to This Post
I need some advice. Lol. I cycled some oil on the cylinder walls with plugs out and imjectors unplugged, I will do it again tomorrow, oil smells of gas again so maybe change that and put some compression restore in it. Since the car hasn't been starting every time I try and start it all the fuel from the objectors was washing the cylinder walls. We will see what happens. Wish me luck. I would love to get it running, and move onto getting the 87 running.
Tha Driver

Feedback score:    (46)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 204
Rate this member

Report this Post01-25-2012 03:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Tha DriverClick Here to visit Tha Driver's HomePageSend a Private Message to Tha DriverDirect Link to This Post
I'm tellin' ya'; I would pull the fuel pump fuse until I got it to run on starting fluid consistently.
I wish you were closer so I could come down & help.
I sent you a PM at the Ga. club forum.
~ Paul
aka "Tha Driver"

Custom Fiberglass Parts
phonedawgz

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 290
Rate this member

Report this Post01-25-2012 03:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for phonedawgzClick Here to visit phonedawgz's HomePageSend a Private Message to phonedawgzDirect Link to This Post
+1 on that. Pull the fuse and get it to run on starting fluid. Make sure you have a fire extinguisher handy anytime you are trying to start it with the snorkel off. A single backfire can start the car on fire.
86FIFI

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-25-2012 07:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 86FIFISend a Private Message to 86FIFIDirect Link to This Post
Well I'm going to try that. I'm tired of spending money on oil. Haha.
86FIFI

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-25-2012 07:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 86FIFISend a Private Message to 86FIFIDirect Link to This Post

86FIFI

749 posts
Member since Aug 2010
Changed the oil, and attempted starter fluid. Still won't start, but it sounds better when starter fluid is sprayed. Also I'm not sure if its normal, but there is smoke coming out the valve cover to intake tube. It's done that everytime I've added oil to the cylinders, and also smoke inside the rear valve cover with the oil cap. Just wondering if that is normal.

Gall757

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-25-2012 08:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Direct Link to This Post
I'm trying to figure out how that could be normal, and I just can't come up with a way. You say you got 150 lbs. in all 6 cylinders?
86FIFI

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-25-2012 09:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 86FIFISend a Private Message to 86FIFIDirect Link to This Post
Well I know it smokes real bad as you have seen, when oil is added directly to the cylinders, and yes once I put some oil in the cylinders, I got 150 psi in all 6. So I thought maybe that was just the burning oil venting through the tube.
86FIFI

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-28-2012 06:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 86FIFISend a Private Message to 86FIFIDirect Link to This Post
Suggestions?
Gall757

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-28-2012 06:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Direct Link to This Post
describe how the burning oil is venting through the tube....going from where to where?
86FIFI

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-28-2012 07:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 86FIFISend a Private Message to 86FIFIDirect Link to This Post
Idk, just a thought. Everytime I put some oil in the cylinders or ever sense I started that I have noticed the smoke coming out the tube. Idk, just thinking of different things.
PFF
System Bot
weloveour86se

Feedback score:    (115)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 75
Rate this member

Report this Post01-28-2012 07:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for weloveour86seSend a Private Message to weloveour86seDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 86FIFI:

I added oil to all cylinders, and compression tested it again and all are around 150

Correct me here if I'm wrong but doesn't a higher compression reading with oil in the cylinders indicate a ring/cylinder wall issue?

Also the smoking, is that related to oil splashing up the EGR tube? I've heard thats a common issue. Long shots both but shots anyway. Love to see you get this baby running.

Update your mall add with the 87 parts your selling? We are always looking for the right parts at the right costs!

86FIFI

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-28-2012 08:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 86FIFISend a Private Message to 86FIFIDirect Link to This Post
I'm selling the complete 87 car. And I have no egr, and also I have a remanufactured motor in FIFI, so pistons and rings should be new. Could be wrong. I expected low compression at first since all the fuel probably washed all oil off the cylinder walls, and after cycling some oil through, I may have temporarily improved the compression. Idk. Just a shot.
Gall757

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-28-2012 09:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Direct Link to This Post

Suggestions?

Here is what I think: your ignition timing is totally messed up, way advanced, or wires to the wrong plugs, or 180 degrees off or some other BIG problem. Here is why I think so......

1. you broke your starter.....why? because the engine suddenly went backwards when the starter was pushing it forwards....firing at the wrong time.
2. It won't run on starting fluid. If there was a problem with the fuel system, it should run on starting fluid. IF the car does not run on starting fluid, there is something wrong with the ignition somewhere.

I know that you checked all this stuff....probably a dozen times....but what you need to do is start over with a clean slate and look at it with fresh eyes, assuming that something is wrong....and not quickly decide that it's OK.

Good Luck!
weloveour86se

Feedback score:    (115)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 75
Rate this member

Report this Post01-28-2012 09:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for weloveour86seSend a Private Message to weloveour86seDirect Link to This Post

Why does this look wrong? Looks like theres WAYYY too much oil in that valve cover. I dont think I've ever seen a valve cover with that much oil in it. Is that oil thats visible?
phonedawgz

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 290
Rate this member

Report this Post01-28-2012 10:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for phonedawgzClick Here to visit phonedawgz's HomePageSend a Private Message to phonedawgzDirect Link to This Post
He said that is smoke.
86FIFI

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-28-2012 11:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 86FIFISend a Private Message to 86FIFIDirect Link to This Post
Thanks phonwdawgz, its smoke, oil was just changed with the correct amount via haynes manual. That is smoke in the valve cover.
ericjon262

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 66
Rate this member

Report this Post01-29-2012 01:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ericjon262Send a Private Message to ericjon262Direct Link to This Post
I would, as others have suggested, check your timing, sounds like your timing is way off, how old is the distributor? bad module maybe? or a pickup coil? I've got a brand new dizzy and 2 sets of injectors(one stock, one from a 3.1 firebird) I'll give you if you pay shipping.

I though I remember you saying somewhere the car was converted to DIS and then back to a reg Dizt setup, if that is the case, I would re-check the ECM connectors fpr the correct pinouts.

------------------
there's a Group on 60degreeV6.com for us 660 Fiero owners!

Fiero Owner's group on 60degreeV6.com

I know there lines Look crooked on paper, but I swear I've got them straight in my head.

86FIFI

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-29-2012 01:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 86FIFISend a Private Message to 86FIFIDirect Link to This Post
Ericjon I may take you up on at least the dizzy, everything else spark related is new. Injectors seem good and hold pressure. And when I had the rail out, they all pulsed when the car was trying to start.
ericjon262

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-29-2012 02:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ericjon262Send a Private Message to ericjon262Direct Link to This Post

Ericjon I may take you up on at least the dizzy, everything else spark related is new. Injectors seem good and hold pressure. And when I had the rail out, they all pulsed when the car was trying to start.

just let me know, I don't need it, I'm doing s 3500 swap.

as far as the smoke goes, the smoke leads me to believe you are losing pressure past the rings, I would do a leakdown test and make sure you're getting a halfway decent ring seal.
Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post01-29-2012 09:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarDirect Link to This Post

So i compression tested the motor, and all yeilded around 45 psi. I'm gonna try some oil in the cylinders and do it again.

Does anyone else see a problem here?

If the cylinder walls were gas-washed, should the compression be that low?
Is that low enough to stop it from running?

This is not an attempt to add to the confusion or muddy the waters. I really don't know. That's why I'm asking.

[This message has been edited by Raydar (edited 01-29-2012).]

PFF
System Bot
86FIFI

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-29-2012 11:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 86FIFISend a Private Message to 86FIFIDirect Link to This Post
I will try a leak down test, I really don't think my timing is off by much, car turns over fine and there isn't back fire through intake or exhaust. Would it seem right at 180* off?
zkhennings

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-29-2012 12:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for zkhenningsSend a Private Message to zkhenningsDirect Link to This Post
Why dont you take your valve covers off and your distributor cap and watch the valves and distributor at the same time as you rotate the engine. This is the best way I would think to cross incorrect timing off the list and narrow down your problem. I think the spark plug points to the intake valve? There is no reason why an engine should be this hard to figure out and if your timing is correct and your leak down test checks out and you have fresh oil and you unplug the fuel pump fuse and you still cannot get the car to run on starter fluid and you are positive that all your ignition components are good then maybe you have a computer issue or the harness is wrong. Maybe your injectors are plugged in in the wrong order. I dont know, all I know is that if your airways arent clogged then if you have spark and you have fuel then you should be running. if you have spark and fuel and compression and you still arent running, then one of them isnt going off at the right time.
86FIFI

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-29-2012 12:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 86FIFISend a Private Message to 86FIFIDirect Link to This Post
Good idea on checking the timing. I will try that as well. Fiero injectors all fire together, and mine are firing so I don't think that is my problem.
86FIFI

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-31-2012 06:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 86FIFISend a Private Message to 86FIFIDirect Link to This Post
I was able to test cylinder 1 and 3 by putting air in the cylinders with the compression tester tool, and I could hear air flowing, and feel air lightly coming out the valve cover and smelled gas. Only used about 10 psi.
zkhennings

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-31-2012 07:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for zkhenningsSend a Private Message to zkhenningsDirect Link to This Post
When my car was burning a quart of oil every 100 miles because the rings and walls were so bad the cylinders could still hold (doing the same thing you did with a compressor) like at least 50 psi
86FIFI

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-31-2012 07:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 86FIFISend a Private Message to 86FIFIDirect Link to This Post
Weird, my motor is a reman with for sure less than 2000 miles but it sat for a couple years. Has run good since I have had it, but with all the flooding and injector problems, all the gas may have scarred the cylinder walls. Technically the rings should be fine I would think.
86FIFI

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-31-2012 08:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 86FIFISend a Private Message to 86FIFIDirect Link to This Post

86FIFI

749 posts
Member since Aug 2010
Also, I'm still smelling fuel from the air blowing out the valve cover and I have new oil and since haven't plugged the Injectors up and they are not leaking.
ericjon262

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-31-2012 10:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ericjon262Send a Private Message to ericjon262Direct Link to This Post

I was able to test cylinder 1 and 3 by putting air in the cylinders with the compression tester tool, and I could hear air flowing, and feel air lightly coming out the valve cover and smelled gas. Only used about 10 psi.

could be valve seals, do you hear it in the intake too?

------------------
there's a Group on 60degreeV6.com for us 660 Fiero owners!

Fiero Owner's group on 60degreeV6.com

I know these lines Look crooked on paper, but I swear I've got them straight in my head.

86FIFI

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-31-2012 10:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 86FIFISend a Private Message to 86FIFIDirect Link to This Post
I did at first, but I think it was because the piston wasn't at TDC, as I left the air running and spun the engine over more, I eventually got it to stop coming out the intake, and just heard it in the crankcase or through the valve cover.
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 22 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20   21   22 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock