Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions - Archive
  FIFI's Progress (Page 16)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 22 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20   21   22 
Previous Page | Next Page
FIFI's Progress by 86FIFI
Started on: 08-31-2010 11:27 PM
Replies: 878
Last post by: 86FIFI on 02-27-2012 06:53 AM
86FIFI

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-06-2011 01:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 86FIFISend a Private Message to 86FIFIDirect Link to This Post
What is confusing to me, is that the car ran before installing the trueleo, which involved removing the distributor and valve covers and thermostat housing, and the fuel rail and injectors. after resembling Everything it won't start. Just doesn't make sense.
IP: Logged
Gall757

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post11-06-2011 04:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Direct Link to This Post
You removed the injectors and re-installed them and now they are not working right...so it sounds like you installed them wrong...or plugged in the harness wrong, or somehow created a ground where there was not one before.
86FIFI

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-06-2011 06:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 86FIFISend a Private Message to 86FIFIDirect Link to This Post
You must have me confused with someone else. Only problem I have had with my injectors was the fact that one of the unused pins when doing the 7730 swap was grounding them so on prime or when they got power they sprayed. All these other tests are being done to cancel them out as a problem. Also, not sure what you mean by plugging them up wrong since they batch fire anyway.
Gall757

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-06-2011 07:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Direct Link to This Post
OK, sorry, I should not jump in here....I thought I understood what was going on, but apparently I don't..
86FIFI

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-06-2011 07:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 86FIFISend a Private Message to 86FIFIDirect Link to This Post
I am open to all advice and help towards finding a solution. It just seemed like you just jumped to conclusions and what you said from what I have found out so far is not my problem.
86FIFI

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-08-2011 06:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 86FIFISend a Private Message to 86FIFIDirect Link to This Post
When probing the connector for the injector harness, the the all 4 of the wires dropped to around 8 volts during cranking. What would cause the pink/white and pink wire voltage to fall?
phonedawgz

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 290
Rate this member

Report this Post11-08-2011 06:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for phonedawgzClick Here to visit phonedawgz's HomePageSend a Private Message to phonedawgzDirect Link to This Post
A discharged battery or poor connections between the battery and the injectors.

Check to see how much of a drop you have at the INJ1 and INJ2 fuses.

Check to see how much of a voltage drop you have at the battery.

Check to see how much of a voltage drop you have at the power distribution posts under C500.

The other problem I see is the ECM is not firing the injectors if the voltage is the same on both sides of the injectors during cranking.

Q1 - Does the fuel pump run for two seconds when you first turn the key to ON (not cranking it)

Q2 - Does the SES light come on and stay on when you have the key on engine off?

Q3 - If you bump the starter, does the fuel pump come on again for two seconds and then turn off? Note - Just bump the starter. Cranking it will build up oil pressure and also turn on the fuel pump and that isn't what I am looking for.

Q4 - Does the tach move up to about 200 rpm during cranking and then fall back to 0 when you stop cranking?

[This message has been edited by phonedawgz (edited 11-08-2011).]

86FIFI

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-08-2011 06:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 86FIFISend a Private Message to 86FIFIDirect Link to This Post
I do have a discharged battery after all these attempts to start, I will charge it overnight and take it to be tested tomorrow as well as change my oil since it smells highly of gas. Tach jumps to a little below 200 upon cracking. Fuel pump primes on key on. And comes back on when bumping the key. The SES light comes on and stays when the key is on.
phonedawgz

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-08-2011 07:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for phonedawgzClick Here to visit phonedawgz's HomePageSend a Private Message to phonedawgzDirect Link to This Post
Charge your battery and re-preform the tests on the four wires of the injector harness.
86FIFI

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-08-2011 09:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 86FIFISend a Private Message to 86FIFIDirect Link to This Post
Ok, I feel like this isn't a fuel problem though. I am pretty sure my injectors are fine. I have my fuel pump unplugged for now in hope to "unflood" my car. I will leave it this way for a little while. Since every time I tried to start the car, which was a lot, all that primed fuel was sprayed into the cylinders. I need to try and let it burn out trying to start or something. I still smell fuel while cranking even though the pump is unplugged. We will see what my tests tomorrow yield and go from there I guess.
86FIFI

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-08-2011 10:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 86FIFISend a Private Message to 86FIFIDirect Link to This Post

86FIFI

749 posts
Member since Aug 2010
Part of my order arrived today even though I bought a fuel pressure tester this past weekend. Will regular teflon tape hold up to gas or do I need to use the pink tape? I don't want any leaks.

PFF
System Bot
phonedawgz

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-08-2011 10:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for phonedawgzClick Here to visit phonedawgz's HomePageSend a Private Message to phonedawgzDirect Link to This Post
Don't use teflon tape. The tape shreds when the the threads are threaded. Never on fuel, never on natural gas/propane lines. The shredded material will plug the tiny control orifices.

If it is designed to fit on the test port it should have o-rings already in it to seal correctly.

[This message has been edited by phonedawgz (edited 11-08-2011).]

86FIFI

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-08-2011 11:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 86FIFISend a Private Message to 86FIFIDirect Link to This Post
Alright, I won't use teflon tape! Haha. Thanks for the tip.
86FIFI

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-09-2011 09:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 86FIFISend a Private Message to 86FIFIDirect Link to This Post
Multiple Post.

[This message has been edited by 86FIFI (edited 11-09-2011).]

86FIFI

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-09-2011 08:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 86FIFISend a Private Message to 86FIFIDirect Link to This Post

86FIFI

749 posts
Member since Aug 2010
Upon testing the injector harness, the pink wires stayed at around 12v and the blue and green dropped to around 7-8 volts during cracking. I changed my oil and battery tested fine.
phonedawgz

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-09-2011 09:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for phonedawgzClick Here to visit phonedawgz's HomePageSend a Private Message to phonedawgzDirect Link to This Post
So no question the injectors are pulsing.
86FIFI

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-09-2011 09:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 86FIFISend a Private Message to 86FIFIDirect Link to This Post
So now what? I plugged the fuel pump back in today as well. Car just turns over and that's it.
phonedawgz

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-09-2011 10:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for phonedawgzClick Here to visit phonedawgz's HomePageSend a Private Message to phonedawgzDirect Link to This Post
So there is no amount of fire that you get at all right? No puffs or back fires?

A timing light between the coil flashes consistently? The timing light on the spark plug wire fires also but 6x slower?

You followed the static timing procedure of turning the crank clockwise till the timing mark lined up with 10 deg before tdc and made sure the rotor was pointing at #1 and the prongs and points of the reluctor and stator lined up exactly?

Check to see if the timing mark seems like it is in the right place. It should be just off a little bit from the crankshaft keyway. You have to remove the crankshaft bolt and washer to see the keyway inside the crank damper.

The timing grove in the dampener should be slightly counter clockwise of the crankshaft keyway

86FIFI

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-10-2011 09:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 86FIFISend a Private Message to 86FIFIDirect Link to This Post
Also, i have been meaning to ask, with the 7730 swap, Evap was deleted, so the hoses and the canister by the air filter can be removed right? That goes for the metal lines along the trunk wall?
86FIFI

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-10-2011 07:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 86FIFISend a Private Message to 86FIFIDirect Link to This Post

86FIFI

749 posts
Member since Aug 2010
Car fired up for a second and blew a lot of smoke out. But it has only fired up twice out of many attempts. It shut off when I let off the gas. I am attempting to start by doing clear flood mode. It also came up with a code 42
phonedawgz

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-10-2011 08:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for phonedawgzClick Here to visit phonedawgz's HomePageSend a Private Message to phonedawgzDirect Link to This Post
Have you tried to electrically unplug your MAP sensor?
PFF
System Bot
86FIFI

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-10-2011 08:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 86FIFISend a Private Message to 86FIFIDirect Link to This Post
Not recently. I tried to start the car before coming inside, and it just kept turning over, nothing happened and battery was getting low.
phonedawgz

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-10-2011 08:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for phonedawgzClick Here to visit phonedawgz's HomePageSend a Private Message to phonedawgzDirect Link to This Post
If the vacuum to the MAP sensor is disconnected, or the MAP sensor is bad, the ECM will dump an excessive amount of fuel into the engine.
86FIFI

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-10-2011 08:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 86FIFISend a Private Message to 86FIFIDirect Link to This Post
Keep in mind my injectors were spraying on prime for quite a while, and that fuel has to go somewhere. It's no longer doing it, but I think there is still a lot of fuel in there.
Gall757

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-10-2011 09:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Direct Link to This Post
86FIFI

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-10-2011 11:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 86FIFISend a Private Message to 86FIFIDirect Link to This Post
The fact that it turned over gives me some hope. I bought that dang fuel pressure gauge and fittings, and I don't know if I even want to chance having them on there. I need to get this thigh figured out before too long, I just hit 200,000 miles in my truck. I want to build a motor for it but would need alternate transportation.
phonedawgz

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-11-2011 12:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for phonedawgzClick Here to visit phonedawgz's HomePageSend a Private Message to phonedawgzDirect Link to This Post
Put a teaspoon of oil in each cylinder, or at least the rear ones. Too much gas might have washed the oil off the cylinder walls and you might have a compression problem.

86FIFI

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-12-2011 05:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 86FIFISend a Private Message to 86FIFIDirect Link to This Post
I put a little oil in the back 3 cylinders, and tried starting the car, and it fired up and would only run while I was pressing the gas. As soon as I let off it shut off and would not start again. The tach is at exactly 200 rpms while I am trying to crank, but when it acts like it wants to start, it jumps to a solid 400 rpm.
phonedawgz

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-12-2011 08:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for phonedawgzClick Here to visit phonedawgz's HomePageSend a Private Message to phonedawgzDirect Link to This Post
So throw oil in the front three also.

Tha Driver

Feedback score:    (46)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 204
Rate this member

Report this Post11-12-2011 09:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Tha DriverClick Here to visit Tha Driver's HomePageSend a Private Message to Tha DriverDirect Link to This Post
Sounds like you're still getting too much fuel. Did you try pulling the fuel pump fuse & see if it would start - maybe using starting fluid if it doesn't start after several attempts?
~ Paul
aka "Tha Driver"

Custom Fiberglass Parts
86FIFI

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-12-2011 09:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 86FIFISend a Private Message to 86FIFIDirect Link to This Post
I will PD, was in a hurry this afternoon.

Paul, my injectors were stuck open for a while, I wouldn't doubt if there was fuel standing in the cylinders. I think everything should be good now if I could get the old fuel burned
PFF
System Bot
86FIFI

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-13-2011 03:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 86FIFISend a Private Message to 86FIFIDirect Link to This Post
I put some oil in the other 3 cylinders, and car fired up and smoked so bad you couldn't see through it. I never let the pedal off the floor, and never idled above 2500 rpm, and eventually shut off and would not restart.
phonedawgz

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-13-2011 05:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for phonedawgzClick Here to visit phonedawgz's HomePageSend a Private Message to phonedawgzDirect Link to This Post
So mark your distributor - or take a pic of it where it is - and then bump it counter=clockwise a bit and see what it does.

When cranking does the starter stop sometimes and then crank forward? Like this video - If so then go clockwise

VIDEO OF TOO MUCH ADVANCE

Rotating the distributor counter clockwise advances the ignition.
Rotating the distributor clockwise retards the ignition.

--

Yeah the smoke is the oil burning off. It was expected.

[This message has been edited by phonedawgz (edited 11-13-2011).]

86FIFI

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-13-2011 05:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 86FIFISend a Private Message to 86FIFIDirect Link to This Post
It just turns over and over, and sounds better when the gas is pressed. Doesn't really cut out during cranking. It is pretty consistent for the most part. I've played with the timing a little bit, but it usually just starts once which is odd to me.
86FIFI

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-15-2011 06:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 86FIFISend a Private Message to 86FIFIDirect Link to This Post
No matter where I rotated the distributor it never acted like the car in the video. But after adding oil it started right up. But only for like 5 seconds and wouldn't start again. This is odd, it starts with oil in the cylinders and quickly dies.
phonedawgz

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-15-2011 07:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for phonedawgzClick Here to visit phonedawgz's HomePageSend a Private Message to phonedawgzDirect Link to This Post
So did you try the oil again and it did it again?

Try the oil but also advance the distributor and see what happens. If you do get the crank-stop-crank then retard it.
86FIFI

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-15-2011 07:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 86FIFISend a Private Message to 86FIFIDirect Link to This Post
Ok, 300zx master took a couple videos with oil in just the back three cylinders. When I put it in all six, it ran for a few six.
the300zxmaster

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-15-2011 08:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for the300zxmasterSend a Private Message to the300zxmasterDirect Link to This Post
Still not running completely. When we put oil in the cylinders it seems like it wants to run for a second but then just smokes and dies. Then nothing until we put a bit more in a second time but it just did the same thing. Acts like it wants to run and fire for a second then dies. Seems like the cylinders are washed down a bit. I think we are going to rent a compression tester and check it.

Here are the direct links to the videos. I cant seem to get them to embed properly.

http://s638.photobucket.com...51-1321402770889.mp4

http://s638.photobucket.com...77-1321402506757.mp4

[This message has been edited by the300zxmaster (edited 11-15-2011).]

fierofinder

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-15-2011 08:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofinderSend a Private Message to fierofinderDirect Link to This Post
Honestly sounds like it 180 off to me. The only time I have accidently done that was my duke so not really sure how a six might differ from the four.
86FIFI

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-15-2011 08:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 86FIFISend a Private Message to 86FIFIDirect Link to This Post
Possibly, but its not back firing or anything, but it won't hurt to put the rotor at #4 on the distributor with the piston at the top of cylinder one or the crank at 10*TDC.
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 22 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20   21   22 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock