Pennock's Fiero Forum
  The Construction Zone
  OPIE's Fiero GTX Build (Page 9)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 33 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20   21   22   23   24   25   26   27   28   29   30   31   32   33 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
OPIE's Fiero GTX Build by TXOPIE
Started on: 01-21-2013 10:48 PM
Replies: 1282 (74023 views)
Last post by: predmeister on 12-14-2021 02:05 PM
NUC19882M6

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-10-2013 01:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NUC19882M6Send a Private Message to NUC19882M6Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Apologies TXOPIE: I took page 9...

[QUOTE]Originally posted by TXOPIE:

UPDATE: Roughing in the side-view monitors...they are going to work great (bright, clean & crisp) & the peripheral is twice as good as any mirror!

I would love a little more detail on this project. Did you get the metal pieces made to mount them?

[This message has been edited by NUC19882M6 (edited 06-10-2013).]

IP: Logged
TXOPIE

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-10-2013 03:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TXOPIEClick Here to visit TXOPIE's HomePageSend a Private Message to TXOPIEEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by NUC19882M6:

Apologies TXOPIE: I took page 9...

I would love a little more detail on this project. Did you get the metal pieces made to mount them?

NUC,

I will do a write up when all completed.

UPDATE: USPS Dropped off my poly-bushings:
TXOPIE

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-10-2013 06:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TXOPIEClick Here to visit TXOPIE's HomePageSend a Private Message to TXOPIEEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

TXOPIE

2734 posts
Member since Mar 2012
UPDATE: Al from Safelite came by and put in my new Front and Rear Glass:

Will have side glass installed once we finish up everything and drop her off the stands and get her back in the driveway...just easier for Al to do his work!

[This message has been edited by TXOPIE (edited 06-10-2013).]

TXOPIE

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-10-2013 07:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TXOPIEClick Here to visit TXOPIE's HomePageSend a Private Message to TXOPIEEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

TXOPIE

2734 posts
Member since Mar 2012
After reading much on wheel spacers versus off-set rims, I have decided to go with off-set rims...which meant I had to start looking again:

This is the correct offset and I think would look clean with the 12" rotors behind it:

[This message has been edited by TXOPIE (edited 06-11-2013).]

TXOPIE

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-10-2013 09:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TXOPIEClick Here to visit TXOPIE's HomePageSend a Private Message to TXOPIEEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

TXOPIE

2734 posts
Member since Mar 2012
UPDATE: Another option with the correct off-set:
TXOPIE

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-10-2013 10:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TXOPIEClick Here to visit TXOPIE's HomePageSend a Private Message to TXOPIEEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

TXOPIE

2734 posts
Member since Mar 2012
UPDATE: GOT a set of these to install:

Just Kidding...never thought I would post a B&D DustBuster on my build, but there it is...it was the only good example of ALSA CORP's "Alsa SofTouch® Paint "

RUBBER - VELVET - LEATHER LIKE FEELING PAINT
Alsa SofTouch® Paint coating is a unique product that can create rich, soft feelings on almost any surface.

Ideal for any product that is intended to be touched; Alsa SofTouch® Paint coating transforms hard surfaces into new sensational textures.
Now the same Soft Feel paint used on cell phones, consumer electronic equipment & luxury car interiors is available in Killer Cans. This clear translucent coating is as soft as suede or luxurious leather but cures as hard as nails. Scratch, stain and chemical resistant; apply it over anything!

http://www.alsacorp.com/pro...fttouch.htm#showcase

• Automotive parts
• Handles, knobs & drawer pulls
• Gunstocks, pistol handles & forearms
• Furniture
• Helmets
• and much more....

That and these royal blue rims:

This paint is un-scratch-able and since I will be driving BluDream as a daily driver...it might make sense to go with this over Alsa Corp's candi cobalt blue Chromium Paint:

Please share your thoughts everyone!

[This message has been edited by TXOPIE (edited 06-10-2013).]

Jun 11th, 2013
TXOPIE

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-11-2013 09:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TXOPIEClick Here to visit TXOPIE's HomePageSend a Private Message to TXOPIEEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
UPDATE:

The drivers side panel is finished and ready for molding.

Rob started making the passenger side panel yesterday and He is already about 30% done with it.
He should be almost finished with the passenger side by tomorrow night. He will have molds off of them and be well on my way to completing the arm rests for both panels by weeks end.
If progress continues at this rate, with no problems, the door panel kits will be ready to produce by the end of next week!
TXOPIE

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-11-2013 12:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TXOPIEClick Here to visit TXOPIE's HomePageSend a Private Message to TXOPIEEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

TXOPIE

2734 posts
Member since Mar 2012
UPDATE: These are the COURTESY lights I will be using in my Quicksilver panels:

FYI: I purchased 05 VOLKSWAGEN PASSAT LEFT RIGHT REAR DOOR COURTESY LIGHT LAMP SET

From: 01 02 03 04 05 VOLKSWAGEN PASSAT LEFT RIGHT REAR DOOR COURTESY LIGHT LAMP SET
TXOPIE

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-11-2013 11:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TXOPIEClick Here to visit TXOPIE's HomePageSend a Private Message to TXOPIEEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

TXOPIE

2734 posts
Member since Mar 2012
UPDATE: NEVER Surrender, NEVER give up!

Still wasn't completely happy with the new options on my wheels after deciding on off-set rims over rims with spacers.

I really liked that BBS rim that I had found when thought about going with spacers, but only if they offered it in a 45mm off-set...

Well kept looking and looking and finally found what I was looking for and that was a replica that offered in different off-sets including 45mm & Half the Price!

This images is larger than 153600 bytes. Click to view.
Jun 12th, 2013
TXOPIE

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-12-2013 12:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TXOPIEClick Here to visit TXOPIE's HomePageSend a Private Message to TXOPIEEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
UPDATE: My New 88 Calipers showed up via the UPS man

Jun 14th, 2013
TXOPIE

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-14-2013 12:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TXOPIEClick Here to visit TXOPIE's HomePageSend a Private Message to TXOPIEEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Mr. Poe is over:

PFF
System Bot
TXOPIE

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-14-2013 05:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TXOPIEClick Here to visit TXOPIE's HomePageSend a Private Message to TXOPIEEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

TXOPIE

2734 posts
Member since Mar 2012

[This message has been edited by TXOPIE (edited 06-17-2013).]

Jun 15th, 2013
TXOPIE

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-15-2013 02:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TXOPIEClick Here to visit TXOPIE's HomePageSend a Private Message to TXOPIEEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
UPDATE: Just received the email from "Riceburner98" that I have been waiting for:

He just shipped my climate controls to me!
PaulJK

Feedback score:    (25)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 237
Rate this member

Report this Post06-15-2013 04:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PaulJKSend a Private Message to PaulJKEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by TXOPIE:

UPDATE: Another option with the correct off-set:

What offset would that be ?
TXOPIE

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-15-2013 04:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TXOPIEClick Here to visit TXOPIE's HomePageSend a Private Message to TXOPIEEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
As far as I can tell I am going to need 42-45 mm
Jun 16th, 2013
KOS

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-16-2013 10:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for KOSClick Here to visit KOS's HomePageSend a Private Message to KOSEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Pm sent

------------------
Dan
Build Thread

TXOPIE

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-16-2013 01:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TXOPIEClick Here to visit TXOPIE's HomePageSend a Private Message to TXOPIEEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by KOS:

Pm sent

KOS

Reply sent
deloreanant

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-16-2013 06:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for deloreanantSend a Private Message to deloreanantEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

After reading much on wheel spacers versus off-set rims, I have decided to go with off-set rims...which meant I had to start looking again:

This is the correct offset and I think would look clean with the 12" rotors behind it:

I must know where you found these. It isn't every day my wife says, "Huh.... those look good. You should buy them." And since you decided against them, might as well share the love. Thanks.

Jun 17th, 2013
TXOPIE

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-17-2013 04:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TXOPIEClick Here to visit TXOPIE's HomePageSend a Private Message to TXOPIEEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
UPDATE: USPS man dropped off the following:

from member "Riceburner"

and new power window switches, since I had to redo that entire panel since I replaced my power mirrors with cameras.
TXOPIE

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-17-2013 04:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TXOPIEClick Here to visit TXOPIE's HomePageSend a Private Message to TXOPIEEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

TXOPIE

2734 posts
Member since Mar 2012

Originally posted by deloreanant:

I must know where you found these. It isn't every day my wife says, "Huh.... those look good. You should buy them." And since you decided against them, might as well share the love. Thanks.

Vision Autobahn 5x100 Matte Black Wheels Rim

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.h...+ Wheels+Rim&_sacat=0

Center Caps are stock GTO (last body style produced)

[This message has been edited by TXOPIE (edited 06-17-2013).]

TXOPIE

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-17-2013 07:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TXOPIEClick Here to visit TXOPIE's HomePageSend a Private Message to TXOPIEEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

TXOPIE

2734 posts
Member since Mar 2012

[This message has been edited by TXOPIE (edited 06-20-2013).]

PFF
System Bot
TXOPIE

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-17-2013 09:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TXOPIEClick Here to visit TXOPIE's HomePageSend a Private Message to TXOPIEEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
UPDATE: New PM from Rob/Amida:

Your dash is ready. :

infinitewill

Feedback score:    (55)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 85
Rate this member

Report this Post06-17-2013 11:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for infinitewillSend a Private Message to infinitewillEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Absolutely gorgeous
Jun 18th, 2013
Marine1981

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-18-2013 04:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Marine1981Click Here to visit Marine1981's HomePageSend a Private Message to Marine1981Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

That shifter surround looks like it could Almost be used with a stock interior. Your project is coming along.
IwannaIRM

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 58
Rate this member

Report this Post06-18-2013 08:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IwannaIRMSend a Private Message to IwannaIRMEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Marine1981:

That shifter surround looks like it could Almost be used with a stock interior. Your project is coming along.

It probably does, since he had his center console wrapped to match.

Marine1981

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-18-2013 10:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Marine1981Click Here to visit Marine1981's HomePageSend a Private Message to Marine1981Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by IwannaIRM:

It probably does, since he had his center console wrapped to match.

Yeah, I know it will work there. Not sure how it will look against the dash side though.
Jun 19th, 2013
GADJet

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-19-2013 08:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for GADJetSend a Private Message to GADJetEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Well kept looking and looking and finally found what I was looking for and that was a replica that offered in different off-sets including 45mm & Half the Price!

Car is looking great... However please be careful what you buy from Alibaba... I bought a professional video canon camera from alibaba for 1/2 price... Guess what, it never showed up! I lost a lot of money that way! $1,200 GONE! Be very cautious with where you buy from. If it were me I woulnt buy from anywhere but the US... At least you can do something about it if they rip ya off. Other countries not so much...

Car looks excellent stay at it bro.
TXOPIE

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-19-2013 09:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TXOPIEClick Here to visit TXOPIE's HomePageSend a Private Message to TXOPIEEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Guys...Thanks for the compliments!

GADJet,

Thanks for giving the heads up in regards to your experience.

Sorry to hear about the bad Experience with http://www.alibaba.com.

Shouldn't hold it against the site...it is just the world largest site for international trade...so there are a lot of players on that board. Some good, some bad. I have purchased literally thousands of SIP phones via Alibaba over the past 10 years...my industry. Now the outfit that I am dealing with via Alibaba is one of the largest manufactures of rims world wide. They make rims for a lot of major brands you know (TRO, OZ, OEM, ETC) and pay high dollar for (all mark up).

Here is a secret most people don't know...when you see a rim listed as a replica...they are over-runs of the real rim...usually on an order placed by the company that brands them and sells them as their own. It is the only way that the factory is allowed to label and sell the extras on any runs.
TXOPIE

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-19-2013 09:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TXOPIEClick Here to visit TXOPIE's HomePageSend a Private Message to TXOPIEEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

TXOPIE

2734 posts
Member since Mar 2012
UPDATE:...Almost forgot I graduated to the "The Construction Zone"
fierocarparts

Feedback score:    (66)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-19-2013 11:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierocarpartsSend a Private Message to fierocarpartsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Your built definitely deserves to be in Construction Zone! Congrats!
Edit: finally took time to go through entire thread. Will save me a lot of research on some similar products I was looking at also.

[This message has been edited by fierocarparts (edited 06-19-2013).]

TXOPIE

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-19-2013 12:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TXOPIEClick Here to visit TXOPIE's HomePageSend a Private Message to TXOPIEEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fierocarparts:

Your built definitely deserves to be in Construction Zone! Congrats!
Edit: finally took time to go through entire thread. Will save me a lot of research on some similar products I was looking at also.

Thanks and glad my thread can help and save other time. If you need any clarification on piece, just PM me.
PFF
System Bot
TXOPIE

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-19-2013 12:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TXOPIEClick Here to visit TXOPIE's HomePageSend a Private Message to TXOPIEEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

TXOPIE

2734 posts
Member since Mar 2012
UPDATE: Working on plastic upper plate for middle arm rest / console piece that traditional held the cigarette lighter:

I filled in the original hole and then cut out spots for my heat seat switches...using my after market power window switches as test, since they are the same dimensions.
This will be wrapped in the same black leather textured vinyl as I did on my 1st power window/ power mirror panel.

[This message has been edited by TXOPIE (edited 06-19-2013).]

Jun 20th, 2013
TXOPIE

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-20-2013 01:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TXOPIEClick Here to visit TXOPIE's HomePageSend a Private Message to TXOPIEEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
UPDATE: UPS Man dropped off my heated seat pieces!

Then sent me a single switch that has two separate rollers to control both driver & passenger...so instead of going through the hassle of exchanging it...I will rework my solution.

I am going to place my power window switches as shown below and then today I will notch out a hole for the heated seats dual switch directly in the middle of the two power window switches.

Which in turn leaves me with a clean pallet where the old power window & mirror switches use to sit. ....room to play...hmmm?

[This message has been edited by TXOPIE (edited 06-20-2013).]

Marine1981

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-20-2013 02:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Marine1981Click Here to visit Marine1981's HomePageSend a Private Message to Marine1981Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

UPDATE: UPS Man dropped off my heated seat pieces!

Then sent me a single switch that has two separate rollers to control both driver & passenger...so instead of going through the hassle of exchanging it...I will rework my solution.

I am going to place my power window switches as shown below and then today I will notch out a hole for the heated seats dual switch directly in the middle of the two power window switches.

Which in turn leaves me with a clean pallet where the old power window & mirror switches use to sit. ....room to play...hmmm?

Maybe a cell phone docking station?

[This message has been edited by Marine1981 (edited 06-23-2013).]

TXOPIE

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-20-2013 04:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TXOPIEClick Here to visit TXOPIE's HomePageSend a Private Message to TXOPIEEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
UPDATE: Middle switches...still needs a final sanding and painting...but here it is ruffed in:

TXOPIE

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-20-2013 07:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TXOPIEClick Here to visit TXOPIE's HomePageSend a Private Message to TXOPIEEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

TXOPIE

2734 posts
Member since Mar 2012
UPDATE: A few minor pin holes to fill and smooth out and ready for vinyl leather wrap!

Jun 21st, 2013
TXOPIE

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-21-2013 02:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TXOPIEClick Here to visit TXOPIE's HomePageSend a Private Message to TXOPIEEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
UPDATES:

Digital climate controls:

BluJack:

Old steering removed:

88 Calipers painted:

One front spring ready and one to go:

Pass front lower with fresh poly & TRW parts

Drivers front lower being prepped for new poly & TRW parts:
TXOPIE

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-21-2013 04:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TXOPIEClick Here to visit TXOPIE's HomePageSend a Private Message to TXOPIEEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

TXOPIE

2734 posts
Member since Mar 2012
UPDATE: Finished up the 2nd front spring & also cleaned up the front spindles:
Jun 25th, 2013
TXOPIE

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-25-2013 11:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TXOPIEClick Here to visit TXOPIE's HomePageSend a Private Message to TXOPIEEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
UPDATE: Just ordered my new front KYB shocks to match my new coil-overs in the rear:

KOS

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-25-2013 10:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KOSClick Here to visit KOS's HomePageSend a Private Message to KOSEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Here is a secret most people don't know...when you see a rim listed as a replica...they are over-runs of the real rim...usually on an order placed by the company that brands them and sells them as their own. It is the only way that the factory is allowed to label and sell the extras on any runs.

Oh becareful on this one. I know someone that was sued by a company when customs got a tip on a shipment amd help it up. Cost $10k when all was said and done. That is a common line used. I also know another that was told the same thing but he was buying brand name with "defects" after a run. Not true and was almost very costly as well.

------------------
Dan
Build Thread

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 33 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20   21   22   23   24   25   26   27   28   29   30   31   32   33 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock