Pennock's Fiero Forum
  The Construction Zone
  My 88 Formula Interior Redesign (Page 15)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 22 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20   21   22 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
My 88 Formula Interior Redesign by Sofa King
Started on: 11-09-2009 07:58 AM
Replies: 865 (61217 views)
Last post by: JohnnyBones on 03-16-2016 07:44 PM
grkboy707

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-07-2010 08:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for grkboy707Send a Private Message to grkboy707Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
WOAH! I didn't realize you were gonna permanently attach the plates??? Cool idea! Its gonna look really sleek! I feel so bad, you get so much done every day, and I, a 16 year old with no set job schedule, can hardly do anything in a whole week! How do you find so much time?!?!

EDIT: I own the 15th page!!!!

[This message has been edited by grkboy707 (edited 04-07-2010).]

IP: Logged
Sofa King

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-08-2010 08:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Sofa KingSend a Private Message to Sofa KingEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by grkboy707:

WOAH! I didn't realize you were gonna permanently attach the plates??? Cool idea! Its gonna look really sleek! I feel so bad, you get so much done every day, and I, a 16 year old with no set job schedule, can hardly do anything in a whole week! How do you find so much time?!?!

EDIT: I own the 15th page!!!!

Thanks G! I was hoping to be much farther along that I am right now, but I should be able to play catch up this weekend and have something close to a finished product - it's always the details that get you bogged down.

LOL... when you're single and have no life... you kinda have too much time to play around. I have no real responsibilities other than my dogs and keeping the house paid for... So... I have time. Too much time... How sad is my life? LOL
TXGOOD

Feedback score:    (58)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 87
Rate this member

Report this Post04-08-2010 02:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TXGOODClick Here to visit TXGOOD's HomePageSend a Private Message to TXGOODEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Greg
That sounds like me, except I don`t even have a dog.
But, it seems by the time I get off work, get home and get to working on my project, it`s already getting into the evening.
I hope to get further along on my project this weekend, even though I have to work Saturday.
Sofa King

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-08-2010 03:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Sofa KingSend a Private Message to Sofa KingEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by TXGOOD:

Greg
That sounds like me, except I don`t even have a dog.
But, it seems by the time I get off work, get home and get to working on my project, it`s already getting into the evening.
I hope to get further along on my project this weekend, even though I have to work Saturday.

LOL I'm sure there's a support group for us. I think it's called the "bar"?
Sofa King

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-08-2010 09:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Sofa KingSend a Private Message to Sofa KingEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Sofa King

929 posts
Member since Aug 2008
Very Minor Updates:

I continued to prep the radio cover and I added filler to the back side along the bottom to help secure the trim plate. I also created a few fiberglass pieces for the A/C vent lip and upper gauge lip - I'm still not sure whether to add these but I'll least get them fabricated and then see how they look. I used the method of cutting the fiberglass while it cured making the cutting process much easier - this saves so much time!

Radio cover primed awaiting more sanding

Prepping fiberglass

All the images cut to shape and ready for assembly - I'll connect the pieces using hot glue on the outside and then resin and glass on the inside

Like I said, very minor updates. I still didn't get around to cutting the hole in the radio cover for the upper gauges. Hopefully this weekend.
Sofa King

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-09-2010 08:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Sofa KingSend a Private Message to Sofa KingEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Once again I created a graphic of what the radio cover would look like with lips over both the A/C vents and the upper gauges. I don't think it works. It's too bulky and heavy looking. I like the single lip over the vents that I created earlier but not both. What do you think?

Larger lip over the gauges

Larger lip over the vents

That's it for now. I have a lot planned for this weekend! It's supposed to be nice so I should be able to get a lot done
grkboy707

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-09-2010 06:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for grkboy707Send a Private Message to grkboy707Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I don't understand the lips. It looks very sleek without them, and this seems to take away from all that meticulous sanding/filing/repeating/repeating/repeating/repeating/repeating/repeating/repeating/repeating process you did so well. Just my .02
Sofa King

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-10-2010 08:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Sofa KingSend a Private Message to Sofa KingEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The lip over the A/C vent is supposed to resemble the lip over the 89 Prototype console. I really like the way that interior was designed so I thought to incorporate that one design element.

I'm hoping to get lots done today
aeffertz

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-10-2010 01:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for aeffertzSend a Private Message to aeffertzEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
What if you blended the two lips together? Like fill the gap between the top of the A/C vent lip and the bottom of the gauges lip.
Sofa King

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-10-2010 04:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Sofa KingSend a Private Message to Sofa KingEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by aeffertz:

What if you blended the two lips together? Like fill the gap between the top of the A/C vent lip and the bottom of the gauges lip.

That might work? I'll have to create a quick image to see what it looks like. Thanks!
Sofa King

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-10-2010 05:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Sofa KingSend a Private Message to Sofa KingEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Sofa King

929 posts
Member since Aug 2008
MAJOR UPDATES!!!!

Check it out!

I deconstructed the glove box and laid out the foam core in prep for the fiberglass - I just hope I can figure out where it all goes...

I didn't get all the pieces cut but did get most

I took these pieces and began fabricating one of two "lips"

I used hot glue on the outside to adhere the pieces together

Once everything was closed off

I then filled the shape with resin

I then sanded smooth - I created two of these

I put the main console back into the car and applied tape around the edges of the upper gauges - I used this as a template to get the basic hole cut in the radio cover

I put the cover back on and I could then see where the tape was

I took black paint and sprayed - this told me where to cut

I then drilled 4 holes - now just connect the dots and remove the waste

Basic hole cut and installed

I then lined up the trim plate, taped it in place and applied resin and filler

All primed up

The only issue is the depth of the upper gauges - they are slightly recessed - you can see the gap

Notice the potential use of the second lip

Basic cover with lip set on top

OK... gotta get back to work

[This message has been edited by Sofa King (edited 04-10-2010).]

PFF
System Bot
katatak

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 82
Rate this member

Report this Post04-10-2010 07:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for katatakSend a Private Message to katatakEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hey Greg,

An idea for your "recessed" aux gauges. Build a small lip inside to fill the gap? Looking good!

Pat

Sofa King

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-10-2010 09:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Sofa KingSend a Private Message to Sofa KingEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by katatak:

Hey Greg,

An idea for your "recessed" aux gauges. Build a small lip inside to fill the gap? Looking good!

Pat

Hey P,

Remember the plastic styrenne? I'm going to give that a shot and see how it turns out.
katatak

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-10-2010 11:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for katatakSend a Private Message to katatakEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Excellent idea!
Blacktree

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 350
Rate this member

Report this Post04-11-2010 10:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If it were me, I wouldn't install that lip on the top. I like the coin tray idea, though.

Is there any way you can move the aux gauges forward a bit? That would take care of the gap.
Sofa King

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-11-2010 02:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Sofa KingSend a Private Message to Sofa KingEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Blacktree:

Is there any way you can move the aux gauges forward a bit? That would take care of the gap.

GENIUS!

I created spacers using some extra glass and then drilled holes

I took the appropriate measurements from each side and mounted

TaDa - Almost perfect! Thanks for the GREAT IDEA, Blacktree!
Sofa King

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-11-2010 02:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Sofa KingSend a Private Message to Sofa KingEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Sofa King

929 posts
Member since Aug 2008
UPDATES!

I just spent the last 4 hours working on the radio cover. I started by removing all the primer. I then spread a thin layer of resin over the entire outside and let it sit in the sun. When that dried I hand sanded the entire console smooth using about 220 grit paper. I then applied one of the LAST layers of primer before going final. I still have a few holes and low areas but we're getting very close

Thin layer of resin applied

Sanded smooth

Primer added
Blacktree

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 350
Rate this member

Report this Post04-11-2010 07:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm glad I could help.
Sofa King

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-12-2010 08:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Sofa KingSend a Private Message to Sofa KingEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I installed the radio cover in the car and it looks fantastic! However... more sanding is required. UGH... It also squeaks like mad so I might line the inside with felt before final install. I do have to sand, paint and clear coat the actual radio console as well. Also, the design of the "tray" will also change as I need to take into account the shifter tray and everything else associated in that area.

Pic taken just moments ago...

More to come!
katatak

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-12-2010 11:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for katatakSend a Private Message to katatakEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Nice!
Sofa King

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-12-2010 02:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Sofa KingSend a Private Message to Sofa KingEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks! It's coming along. I did notice a little bit of gap between the radio and A/C controls and the radio cover. I'll do the same I did with the upper gauges - just create a spacer / washer to push both units out a little further to close up the gap. The sanding has become frustrating. I was hoping to be further along than I am.

I do have an extra center console sitting around. I'm tempted to see if I can copy the 89 prototype version

As I mentioned before - I'm about 95% sure I'll be creating the dash cluster as well!
PFF
System Bot
Sofa King

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-14-2010 08:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Sofa KingSend a Private Message to Sofa KingEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
So I got into my yesterday after a tough day at work when 3 teens riding their bikes approached the car. All the 3 of them stopped and said "whoa... cool car...".

Yesterday was a great day.
Sharkman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-14-2010 10:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SharkmanSend a Private Message to SharkmanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Sofa King:

I then sanded smooth - I created two of these

Some nice work. Keep the pics coming.
Have you tryed bonocell. Then you could make this peace in about 10 min. I use it a lot. Fast and easy to work with.

------------------
Regards SHARKMAN
Europe # 1 choptop
http://www.fieroforum.se/fo...=1342&st=0&sk=t&sd=a
http://www.fieroforum.se/fo...topic.php?f=10&t=173

Sofa King

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-14-2010 12:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Sofa KingSend a Private Message to Sofa KingEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Sharkman:
Have you tryed bonocell. Then you could make this peace in about 10 min. I use it a lot. Fast and easy to work with.

I've heard of it. I'll definately look into it!

Thanks
Sofa King

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-14-2010 12:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Sofa KingSend a Private Message to Sofa KingEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Sofa King

929 posts
Member since Aug 2008
I looked it up - I can't find anything accept pics of Bono and Boncelli. LOL

Do you have a webiste?
grkboy707

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-14-2010 09:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for grkboy707Send a Private Message to grkboy707Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I just made a cupholder today. Thought I'd let you know Lookin good, btw.
Sofa King

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-15-2010 08:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Sofa KingSend a Private Message to Sofa KingEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Post some pics. We'd love to see your work
Sharkman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-15-2010 09:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SharkmanSend a Private Message to SharkmanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Try some boatcompany. If you don´t find bonocell you can use divinycell that is a bit stronger but still easy to work with.
http://www.diabgroup.com/eu...ducts/e_prods_2.html
grkboy707

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-15-2010 05:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for grkboy707Send a Private Message to grkboy707Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Post some pics. We'd love to see your work

I'll put some pics in my center console thread when I get a chance.
Sofa King

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-17-2010 03:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Sofa KingSend a Private Message to Sofa KingEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Minor Updates:

I spent the morning at a local service shop where they wanted almost 900 bucks to replace the axles and the rear wheel bearings - over the last few weeks the clanking and grinding has been getting really loud. They were going to charge me 220 per wheel bearing - not including labor. ummmm... yeah...

So, I went to the local auto parts store and bought the parts I needed for 370 bucks. After chatting with a good friend of mine at the parts store, she suggested I give a buddy of hers a call. I did and drove by his shop. He'll do the work for 250 bucks. SWEET!

In the meantime. I pulled the center console out and removed the armrest / cup holder. I noticed some air bubbles forming so I decided to sand down the armrest and repaint - I'm actually going to give it a little flair. I'm thinking rainbows and lighting bolts. I have NO IDEA what's going on but the primer will not properly adhere to the fiberglass without cracking. I've done everything I know how to clean the surface of the fiberglass. I beginning to suspect it's the primer.

Bubble

Other areas in question

Sanded down and laying primer

WHAT THE HECK!!!??? It did this 4 times

That's it for today. I'm frustrated and it's starting to rain. I'll pick up tomorrow and try to get these pieces finished including the radio cover - that piece is beginning to aggrevate me! LOL
bubbajoexxx

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 112
Rate this member

Report this Post04-17-2010 04:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bubbajoexxxClick Here to visit bubbajoexxx's HomePageSend a Private Message to bubbajoexxxEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
dont put primer over enamel it will orange peel primer is a laquer and laquers eat enamel
PFF
System Bot
bubbajoexxx

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 112
Rate this member

Report this Post04-17-2010 05:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bubbajoexxxClick Here to visit bubbajoexxx's HomePageSend a Private Message to bubbajoexxxEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

bubbajoexxx

1630 posts
Member since Aug 2003
spray gell coat over raw fiberglass to get a smooth finish and make sure there is no paint under it as it will lift and cause bubbles and do not glass over paint as it will not adhear to the paint
and cause bubbles to form as the paint hardens and srinks causing the glass resin to lift
Sofa King

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-17-2010 06:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Sofa KingSend a Private Message to Sofa KingEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Looks like I have to remove ALL the primer and paint and start over. Great... More sanding! LOL
grkboy707

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-17-2010 08:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for grkboy707Send a Private Message to grkboy707Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Looks like I have to remove ALL the primer and paint and start over. Great... More sanding! LOL

Oh NOOOOOOOO! I feel your pain man
katatak

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-17-2010 10:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for katatakSend a Private Message to katatakEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I also read somewhere where rattle can primer is caca. For a high quality paint job, you need to use a spary gun with good quality primer. Thought I'd throw that out there for ya!

That first shop you went to was raping you! 250.00 for labor for all that work is not bad. Are you installing new axles? If so, be sure to put new seals in too! If we were closer, I'd do the work for free!

Pat

355Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-18-2010 12:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 355FieroSend a Private Message to 355FieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
For the paint lifting and getting air bubbles, you most likely have a problem with the fiberglass not being sealed before painting the final black colour. Go to an automotive paint shop and get them to give you some of their high build primer and do all your work with that. Don't use the auto parts store paints if you can at all help it for primer or final colour paint.

Once you have your final product ready for painting, go to the same store and get their primer/sealer paint and the final colour you want to paint the console. Satin black I assume for your work here.

Paint the console with your primer/sealer and do your final scuff and then paint on the satin black. The auto paint stores can now put the automotive paint into spray bombs for you and the spray bombs usually have a bit if a European spray nozzle which gives a bit of a wider pattern than the North American spray bombs do. I used to have to get the paint mixed into pint cans and then fill up a small air sprayers that came with a pressure canister and a glass jar that you put the paint and reducer in etc. Their technology has come a long way in the past many years. I bought a high build primer and a primer/sealer and 2 cans of colour for one of my small projects for about $90.00 Canadian. I am sure it will be a lot less down in the States as everything else seems to be...

If you follow these directions you should not have any problems with your paint peeling or bubbling in the future.

The paints cost more but once you do the painting as above, you won't have to do it all over again as you are having to do now...... ;o)

Cheers and good luck
Don
Sofa King

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-18-2010 05:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Sofa KingSend a Private Message to Sofa KingEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by katatak:

I also read somewhere where rattle can primer is caca. For a high quality paint job, you need to use a spary gun with good quality primer. Thought I'd throw that out there for ya!

That first shop you went to was raping you! 250.00 for labor for all that work is not bad. Are you installing new axles? If so, be sure to put new seals in too! If we were closer, I'd do the work for free!

Pat

Thanks man! I appreciate that. I wish i could the work myself but I just have the time or, space or proper tools yet. DANG BILLS!

I'm having the shop install new axles and rear bearings. The clanking is getting REALLY bad. I picked up the parts this morning and I'll be dropping the car off Tuesday. I'm going to run by The Fiero Factory and pick up a used rear passenger side caliper - the emergency brake isn't engaging on that side so I'll need a new one.

Thanks for the info on the seals. I'll pick those up as well.

[This message has been edited by Sofa King (edited 04-18-2010).]

Sofa King

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-18-2010 05:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Sofa KingSend a Private Message to Sofa KingEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Sofa King

929 posts
Member since Aug 2008
UPDATES

I spent the morning drving around town picking up replacement axles and bearings. I then came home and stripped the clearcoat off the rims - the chrome was in really bad shape. I also removed all the paint from the armrest. I now get to go back and FILL all the holes again for the 235th time. UGH... But it's so nice today... I don't mind.

Rims - Before

Rims - After

All sanded and prepped

AHHH... love those holes.

Sorry I'm not farther along...

katatak

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-18-2010 07:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for katatakSend a Private Message to katatakEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Wow! Rims turned out sweet.

Pat

[This message has been edited by katatak (edited 04-18-2010).]

Sofa King

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-18-2010 09:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Sofa KingSend a Private Message to Sofa KingEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
And they're not even finished yet! I figure next weekend I'll really work on them

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 22 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20   21   22 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock